As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Second Impeachment] Acquitted of Armed Insurrection | 57 Votes for Guilty

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Ansago wrote: »
    Taximes wrote: »
    august wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »
    Is McConnell still planning on waiting until after inauguration to move forward?

answer seems to change every time i hear an answer

He announced today that he is waiting until after.

Well. According to Chanus' findings on the Disqualification vote, that means Majority Leader Schumer can disqualify Trump from holding office with a straight majority vote...

This is probably what McConnell is hoping for, letting the D's do the dirty work while still managing to rid the GOP of having to worry about him running again.

My entire adult life has been Democrats having to spend most of their time unfucking whatever the Republicans did while they were in power.

Congrats! You are under 70 years old!

Edit - the last person who couldn't make this claim voted for LBJ.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Edit: Beat by zagdrob :( Who was also more generous

Taximes on
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Mitch McConnell is the Senate Majority Leader, for another week:

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Is McConnell still planning on waiting until after inauguration to move forward?

Well. According to Chanus' findings on the Disqualification vote, that means Majority Leader Schumer can disqualify Trump from holding office with a straight majority vote...

This is probably what McConnell is hoping for, letting the D's do the dirty work while still managing to rid the GOP of having to worry about him running again.

yeah McConnell is more than happy to let this happen on Schumer's watch

Yup, the more I think about it, the more I believe that Mcconnell's calculus is to dump this in the democratic senate's lap, trade/muck up favors to approve Biden's cabinet appointments, and if the impeachment is indeed successful, he can gleefully point to those DURN DURTY EBIL DEMOCRAATS for impeaching the true victor of the previous election or something.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I bet Mit Romney could become Majority leader tomorrow if he could convince 3 senators to come with him.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    Mitch McConnell is the Senate Majority Leader, for another week:

it's precious he considers what he did for Trump last time a trial

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

yeah McConnell is more than happy to let this happen on Schumer's watch

Yup, the more I think about it, the more I believe that Mcconnell's calculus is to dump this in the democratic senate's lap, trade/muck up favors to approve Biden's cabinet appointments, and if the impeachment is indeed successful, he can gleefully point to those DURN DURTY EBIL DEMOCRAATS for impeaching the true victor of the previous election or something.

i don't think it goes that far. he doesn't believe the election fraud bullshit. he just doesn't want Republicans responsible for anything

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Its like that old cartoon where the turtle hides in shell as nuclear bomb goes off and pretends he'll survive. Shit's happening now, McConnell you fucker.

Enc on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    it is telling that nobody is sure how it works because the only time in the last almost 100 years impeachment was legitimate before Trump was Nixon and he resigned before it could happen

Clinton was not only bullshit but he also was in his second term so Disqualification would have been pointless

It is also more than a little worrying that the majority of the rules seem to come down to the whims of the Senate at the time. A lot of it is internal to the Senate, but barring from office could easily become a Supreme Court question. I don't particularly like the thought of this Supreme Court weighing in on it. If I get a time machine the second thing I am doing is beating the writers of the constitution until they fully write out what they mean about so god damned many things,

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Mitch McConnell- We can't possibly do justice to this so quickly.

Me- Laughs in Amy Comey Barrett

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    it is telling that nobody is sure how it works because the only time in the last almost 100 years impeachment was legitimate before Trump was Nixon and he resigned before it could happen

Clinton was not only bullshit but he also was in his second term so Disqualification would have been pointless

It is also more than a little worrying that the majority of the rules seem to come down to the whims of the Senate at the time. A lot of it is internal to the Senate, but barring from office could easily become a Supreme Court question. I don't particularly like the thought of this Supreme Court weighing in on it. If I get a time machine the second thing I am doing is beating the writers of the constitution until they fully write out what they mean about so god damned many things,

Disqualification is explicitly in the Constitution

there's no case to argue before a court

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean McConnel is only majority leader until georgia seats its senators, ain't nothing they need to trade with that old fool for. He doesn't want to do impeachment, fuck'em get it done after Biden is in.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

There would be a question of being able to disqualify without a conviction.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Trying to figure out if McConnell is waiting to see how Trumpism declines after the Inauguration before deciding whether to whip for conviction, or is stupid enough to think not convicting is going to work out well in 2024...

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The only thing that would really be arguable is whether you can disqualify without a conviction.

It really seems like the smart republican move would be wait until schumer gets in, vote to convict with just enough republicans, then take the “oh so sad but what can you do really?” tack.

Trump hanging around in 2022 or running in 2024 would be poison for the Republican Party.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

How many votes it takes is not was more my point. He could tantrum to the Supreme Court that it is a 2/3rds vote as there is nothing explicit one way or the other. Hopefully it will be a moot point, but I don't trust anyone in the current political climate. Also, the question monker poses.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Trying to figure out if McConnell is waiting to see how Trumpism declines after the Inauguration before deciding whether to whip for conviction, or is stupid enough to think not convicting is going to work out well in 2024...

Probably also waiting to see if the promised 50 state capitol riots plus DC inauguration riot come to pass.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Probably also waiting to see if the promised 50 state capitol riots plus DC inauguration riot come to pass.

There aren't enough Nazis in the country to successfully attack 50 places at once. I can believe there will be 50 protests.

• Options

There aren't enough Nazis in the country to successfully attack 50 places at once. I can believe there will be 50 protests.

Yeah especially without Trump brand hate viagara to keep them up and ready. Honestly with how muted his followers/supporters have been since being banned from twitter, it just makes twitter all the more complicit in the violence where they refused to remove him from their platform.

And once again shows Veep Harris was 100% correct when she said he should have been years ago.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

This is America

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So, do I have this right? All it takes to prevent someone fron holding public office is majority votes in the house and senate?

• Options
    So, do I have this right? All it takes to prevent someone fron holding public office is majority votes in the house and senate?

Disqualification is a part of the impeachment process, but that is one way to look at it

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Seems like that could be misused.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    moniker wrote: »

There would be a question of being able to disqualify without a conviction.

That may not actually matter for 14th amendment disqualification. It just says you can't hold office if the person "shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion". It makes no mention of conviction requirements, legal or impeachment-wise. Of course it also hasn't been used since WW1, but for that one, a House committee simply declared the Representative ineligible for office, twice, since he also won the special election to replace him.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

Trump got 74 million votes. If say,1% of them are hardcore enough to actually want violence, that's still 740,000 people. Enough to put just under 15k people around every single state capitol.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Haha my terrible rep voted no by proxy so there is now video/audio of someone else informing the House that they voted ‘No’ on H. Res. 24.
    That sound byte is gonna be my ringtone. I’m going to sneak it into the Christmas music at the nearby mall. I will do the Say Anything thing with a vintage boombox wired to play MP3s with it any time they make a public appearance (which I will have to go to DC to do because they never ever show their face out here where they might catch a case of plebianism from their actual constituents).
    I might not be able to un-gerrymander my district enough, or un-MAGA-chud a good portion of it enough, to send them back to private life but I can help to, how does that go? Tie their name to this with a steel cord for all of history.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Trump got 74 million votes. If say,1% of them are hardcore enough to actually want violence, that's still 740,000 people. Enough to put just under 15k people around every single state capitol.

Before there was controversy or any resistance here, when they had all the energy of the GOP trying to get them there, they barely managed to get 20k of the 200k people at DC they wanted. 1% Is overestimating it.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

True, but then we would have seen more at the Capitol Building and that was before consequences like firings and arrests started raining down.

Plus Trump just tossed them under the bus. Probably will still see some violence though.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Nah, the presence of the troops will cause most people to decide to stay home even if they were considering coming out, and it's going to be a complete nothingburger.

And then we're going to have to listen to years of right-wing talking heads talking about how it was a giant overreaction.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Fuck the talking heads. Joe Biden can say he had a stronger military presence at his inauguration than Trump. I'm sure that'll burn the orange moron right into his soul.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The famous right wing spectrum of reactions to right wing events. Ranges from "Overreaction" to "Antifa False Flag"

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I hear there’s going to be another impeachment soon

Greene claims she’ll bring forth articles against Biden on 1/21

Which begs the question, do the articles count if written in half-chewed crayon?

• Options
    The famous right wing spectrum of reactions to right wing events. Ranges from "Overreaction" to "Antifa False Flag"

and then eventually "we did it and it was awesome cry moar libs."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Which begs the question, do the articles count if written in half-chewed crayon?

What's the charge?

• Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular

What's the charge?

He's a democrat.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular

What's the charge?

Abuse of power. For a president who hasn't been in office yet.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Gyral wrote: »

What's the charge?

Abuse of power. For a president who hasn't been in office yet.

Well using power to undo stuff my side did is abuse, obvs

• Options

they don't do much either way when you don't control the committee that sends them to the floor

• Options

What's the charge?

Doesn't matter her bullshit isn't going anywhere.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    What if the Dems just sent him to New York, pin him on his financial crimes in the short term, lock him up and let federal prosecution follow?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
This discussion has been closed.