As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hitman]

• Options
    BlueshiftBlueshift Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    I've played it a few times, did the mission stories, the classics (not on master yet though).
    I'd say it is definitely among the better maps for Hitman 2.
    Fairly compact, with plenty of things going on and decent amount of exploration to be done.

Couldn't agree more. I had a blast trying to get all the challenges done. The only one I can't figure out is how to poison and drown Savalas.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Blueshift wrote: »
    I've played it a few times, did the mission stories, the classics (not on master yet though).
    Fairly compact, with plenty of things going on and decent amount of exploration to be done.

Couldn't agree more. I had a blast trying to get all the challenges done. The only one I can't figure out is how to poison and drown Savalas.

Poisoning her in a non-suspicious manner is connected to a Discovery challenge; that said, I suspect drowning her requires going through the Stock Market Crash storyline and getting her with an Emetic Syringe while she's downstairs, as she should run to the toilets by the Security station.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Playing through the series. Woo, that first game is rooough around the edges.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

Poisoning her in a non-suspicious manner is connected to a Discovery challenge; that said, I suspect drowning her requires going through the Stock Market Crash storyline and getting her with an Emetic Syringe while she's downstairs, as she should run to the toilets by the Security station.

I found she goes for a bin if you do that which is super annoying
    I got her in the office with a syringe and she went downstairs so maybe the vertical proximity was good enough. that or I got lucky

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Playing through the series. Woo, that first game is rooough around the edges.

Yeah, you can see why they didn't stick with the whole "Buy weapons per missions ala Counterstrike," format.

• Options
    It's more like controlling Hitman is like driving a car shaped like a human. I can appreciate they don't want you to commando through each level, esp since the stealth genre was developing... But it has that special kind of early 3rd person jank.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I played some of the first hitman, couple missions i think, controls are pretty horrible and it has very little freedom to pick your strategy.
    Contracts was better, atleast what i played it.
    Hitman 2 had better controls but i never went past the tutorial.

I guess i just have issues trying to get into the earlier games considering i really started playing hitman with the 2016 release (i think i had played another entry before, briefly, maybe a single level, not sure).
    I'd love rerealese of the entiry series in the current engine, but it probalby makes more sense to spend that resource on new content, or maybe just declare the new games their own canon and ignore the earlier onces completely except where otherwise noted.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I did Golden Handshake blind, so it was actually funny to ruin the stock market for no reason just because the computer was highlighted and my disguise let me dismiss the guy working at the station.

I also stabbed a bunch of people but no one seemed to care. I also knocked out a bunch of the targets in fairly open staircases but nobody seemed to notice. Your greed will get us all killed!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BlueshiftBlueshift Registered User regular

I did this exact thing and she went to a garbage can nearby. I think it's the last challenge I have so I'll give it another couple go's before I just look it up somewhere. But the only places I have been able to see her are upstairs around her office and the place she goes when you crash the market and neither really have a bathroom nearby.

• Options
    I just did what Snicketysnick described and it worked.
    Well, technically I used the Vodka. But when given emetic in her office, she does indeed walk hella far to the Security Station bathrooms, taking over the stall with the cocaine.

• Options
    I played some of the first hitman, couple missions i think, controls are pretty horrible and it has very little freedom to pick your strategy.
    Contracts was better, atleast what i played it.
    Hitman 2 had better controls but i never went past the tutorial.

I guess i just have issues trying to get into the earlier games considering i really started playing hitman with the 2016 release (i think i had played another entry before, briefly, maybe a single level, not sure).
    I'd love rerealese of the entiry series in the current engine, but it probalby makes more sense to spend that resource on new content, or maybe just declare the new games their own canon and ignore the earlier onces completely except where otherwise noted.

Hitman 2 is still terrible about its settings...but is a lot less offensively terrible when it comes to horrible yellow-face and whatnot (there's less of it). I guess we have to forgive turn-of-the-century Scandinavian game development. The Japan and Russia levels in particular. Importantly, it moved off the badly executed buy-your-arsenal model for a much more suitable "Collect weapons from levels," which, while imperfect, did encourage you to replay stages in different ways and explore more. Most obviously, it added the actual 'Silent Assassin' rating and was much more complex in how it graded your performance (even if the criteria didn't always make sense).

It's still really awkward mechanically in many ways, and had plenty of the awkward moments that characterized the series (bikini hot tube bodyguards, for example).

Contracts is basically the "greatest hits" of the original Codename 47 with a few new levels intended to bridge some holes in the broader story. Some of the original first game levels are still dumb in Contracts, but at least the controls are more sensible.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

I did this exact thing and she went to a garbage can nearby. I think it's the last challenge I have so I'll give it another couple go's before I just look it up somewhere. But the only places I have been able to see her are upstairs around her office and the place she goes when you crash the market and neither really have a bathroom nearby.

The game is certainly random at times with identical actions sometimes producing different results. That said:
    In my experience poisoning her with the vodka usually has her going to the bathroom downstairs most of the time.

It's a really great level, but I'm kind of surprised how easy it is too. Even on Master, it is ridiculous how simple it is to get into the vault.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The hotel level in the first game still holds a special place for me.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    The hotel level in the first game still holds a special place for me.

The one with the optional ghost?

• Options
    So these two new missions, the one in Santa Fortuna and Mumbai, these are just repurposed Elusive Targets, right?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    So these two new missions, the one in Santa Fortuna and Mumbai, these are just repurposed Elusive Targets, right?

Seems to be so.

• Options
    I decided to skip ahead and try Contracts since I've heard it's mostly a remake of the first game. Amazing how much of a difference a few iterations makes, this feels pretty solid.

• Options
    I decided to skip ahead and try Contracts since I've heard it's mostly a remake of the first game. Amazing how much of a difference a few iterations makes, this feels pretty solid.

The biggest problem with Contracts are the weird issues inherent to its graphic engine for the PC release--actually, it's a big step up visually from Silent Assassin, particularly in terms of lightning, volumetric fog, and all those great trappings of the era (if you had the hardware to run it, it was a very good looking game).

But bizarrely, it seems to be a lot less flexible with modern hardware than Silent Assassin was. At least, that was the issue I encountered with it.

• Options
    I can't say I've noticed anything horrible, even just using default compatibility mode. But yeah, this is actually a fun puzzle game, but it's no Metal Gear for "open world" stealth.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Rise!

Hitman 3 is next week. Annoyingly Epic Game Store on PC, but apparently will still let you import your data from Hitman 1 and 2 along with levels and unlocks and all that, so that's rad. Who's excited, cause I am excited even though I barely played much 2.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    oh

oh

\o/

me

all the more for getting a 10% GMG coupon in my email today

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    I didn't get any GMG coupon.

How much is it for?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    It's automatically on sale, or it was for me, down to 53 bucks from 60 on GMG.

• Options
    Ah, I got the coupon just by being logged in to my GMG account. It's like 9 or 10 bucks off the Deluxe Edition, which is probably the one to get?

Otherwise, the 22% off "PREPARE2PLAY" code from IsThereAnyDeal doesn't work.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2021
    yeah it's 45 instead of 50 britbux

if you're signed in that is

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Deluxe edition has costumes and stuff but also "deluxe escalations" which seems meh but not enough detail to know.

Hitman 2 had some sort of DLC, right? I should check that out.

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed the hell out of the first one, but only recently started the second. I went through all the main missions so far and going through the DLC levels now. I'm really enjoying it and I'll probably wait for the steam version to release to give me more time to go back through and get max mastery on all levels. I'm also interested in picking it up on PS4 when that goes on sale to try out all the levels in VR.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hitman 2 had 2 DLC maps, a bank in NYC and an island resort in I think the Maldives, both were very good imo.

More escalations is good, but not for 50% more upfront cost, I'll probably get an (inevitable) digital upgrade at some point but base is looking like the way to go for now.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Hitman 2 had some sort of DLC, right? I should check that out.
    The two story levels at least.
    They're good levels (a nice focused indoor one and a large outdoor one) with some crazy OP unlocks, and they continue the story with actual cutscenes instead of those motion stills they used in the main game (although if you just want to catch up on the plot I'd say to just go to youtube).
    But the DLC should carry over to 3 along with everything else, so that should be a stupid amount of content in one game.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Escalations were never my bag in Hitman 1 or 2, so now that I know that's basically what you're paying for in the Deluxe Edition, it doesn't seem worth it.

Even the diehards on the Hitman subreddit are like "Okay, guess it's Vanilla for me" or "I'll get the Deluxe to tip the devs but otherwise it doesn't feel worth it/anywhere close to the Hitman 2 DLC content"

Feels like IO is busy starting work on Bond, so they might not really be focusing as much on Hitman 3 as they did Hitman 1 or Hitman 2.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    btw there will be no DLC missions for 3, according to IOI
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-01-08-hitman-3-feels-like-a-well-deserved-victory-lap-for-ios-series
    There'll also be post-launch support, though unlike previous games this won't be new areas and rather a repurposing of those being offered up in Hitman 3.
    https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-all-locations-revealed/
    The final mission in the World of Assassination trilogy takes you to the

• Options
    So it'll be like Hitman 2, which had alternate targets on 2 of the same maps.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I'm fine with not having post-launch DLC missions. I really liked Hitman 2 and played through it on release and I got the expensive version of it, too, that came with the DLC, but I never ended up playing those levels because once I was done with it, I never really had any interest in getting back into it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Is this going to be episodic, like 1?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Unfortunately no, it's coming out all at once like with Hitman 2.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Elki wrote: »
    Is this going to be episodic, like 1?

Nope.

• Options
    Hrm, looks like I just have the standard edition of Hitman 2, so the only way to get those levels is to get the expansion pass which is 40 bucks...for two levels?? and some sniper challenge maps which I don't think is as cool as a big map?

That seems like a lot?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Unfortunately no, it's coming out all at once like with Hitman 2.

Too bad. That was a cool concept for that game.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Hrm, looks like I just have the standard edition of Hitman 2, so the only way to get those levels is to get the expansion pass which is 40 bucks...for two levels?? and some sniper challenge maps which I don't think is as cool as a big map?

That seems like a lot?

The expansion pass hit $10 during the last steam sale.

• Options
    Tumin wrote: »

That seems like a lot?

The expansion pass hit $10 during the last steam sale.

Well damn, gonna have to keep an eye out.