As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Nintendo seems to only want to make Starfox and F-Zero games when they're doing something new and gimmicky. Yet they had no problem phoning in a completely uninspired game like New Super Mario Bros U. I'll never quite get their thinking.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Nintendo seems to only want to make Starfox and F-Zero games when they're doing something new and gimmicky. Yet they had no problem phoning in a completely uninspired game like New Super Mario Bros U. I'll never quite get their thinking.

$$$$

urahonky wrote: »

$$$$

So you're saying they can't make money on Starfox and F-Zero? At one time you could have said that about Fire Emblem.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    That failed Ubisoft toy game was a kind of fun Star Fox game I guess.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705

$$$$

So you're saying they can't make money on Starfox and F-Zero? At one time you could have said that about Fire Emblem.

The amount of money they made on NSMB:U compared to any new F-Zero/Star Fox game is out of this world.

I don't understand it either. I bet they could at LEAST make ROI on a new Starfox/F-Zero/Metroid game. But corporations want all the money, not just some of it.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

$$$$

Not nearly the amount Mario pulls in.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

$$$$

Sure. The Mario games they make will always pull in more money than non-existent games.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    They wait for innovation because nothing is selling all that well in those franchises. They can pretty much just sit on their ass with Mario as he prints money.

Awakening was a large departure that saved the series and Three Houses added a whole freaking life sim side.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

$$$$

Sure. The Mario games they make will always pull in more money than non-existent games.

Mario outsells basically everything but Pokemon I think? It would be extremely unlikely for either series to come close to the sales pace of the average Mario title.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

$$$$

The amount of money they made on NSMB:U compared to any new F-Zero/Star Fox game is out of this world.

I don't understand it either. I bet they could at LEAST make ROI on a new Starfox/F-Zero/Metroid game. But corporations want all the money, not just some of it.

You know, I really don't think this is being fair to Nintendo. They've done an astounding job of nursing IPs through some pretty lean times. Above and beyond what almost any other AAA publisher has done. I know they supported Fire Emblem through some pretty lean times before Awakening came out. Xenoblade Chronicles would have been dumped by any other publisher after the first title. I was shocked they kept trying to make Luigi's Mansion a thing.

IMHO, the problem is Shigeru Miyamoto. Mario and Zelda appears to have been clawed from his grasp, probably out of business necessity. But a lot of Nintendo's older classic IP seems to be his exclusive wheelhouse, and his whimsy and/or perfectionism prevents all manner of fan favorites from ever seeing the light of day.

Namrok wrote: »

$$$$

You know, I really don't think this is being fair to Nintendo. They've done an astounding job of nursing IPs through some pretty lean times. Above and beyond what almost any other AAA publisher has done. I know they supported Fire Emblem through some pretty lean times before Awakening came out. Xenoblade Chronicles would have been dumped by any other publisher after the first title. I was shocked they kept trying to make Luigi's Mansion a thing.

IMHO, the problem is Shigeru Miyamoto. Mario and Zelda appears to have been clawed from his grasp, probably out of business necessity. But a lot of Nintendo's older classic IP seems to be his exclusive wheelhouse, and his whimsy and/or perfectionism prevents all manner of fan favorites from ever seeing the light of day.

Hmm maybe. Maybe he will only make new ones of those games if he could come up with a way to change everything up while keeping the core in tact. And unfortunately can't come up with a way to do it. I would be 100% okay with Star Fox 64 but more. Give me the pretty graphics, branching levels, just more of it. I don't need any gimmicks.

That being said if you disrespec Miyamoto one more time I will cut you! :P

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Ultimately I think how we perceive a series is not the same as the internal teams. StarFox has always been a sacrifice to a given console’s gimmick, and F Zero is literally nothing to them, it’s at the same level to them as a completely forgotten game to us. F Zero is Ice Climbers tier. Captain Falcon was a joke pull for the original Smash, not an endorsement.

The best example of audience vs producers is Metroid, where my (and probably your) perception of Samus Aran is wildly different.

I repeat myself, but here are the sequels you’re after:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sJJW_x6Xg4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuAWNB6WNZs

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

$$$$

Personally I can see why they could turn Fire Emblem around but not Star Fox.

Chess-like tactical games just have a broader potential to incorporate more systems without feeling they've strayed too far from the source/core gameplay loop. Half the people who love Star Fox seemingly want a linear "rollercoaster" shooter or no sale.

Kid Icarus Uprising would've been a good template to draw from, but judging by how they've never ported it, revisited it, or worked toward a sequel, it seems they were dissatisfied with how it turned out.

Also remember a big part of what turned Fire Emblem around was adding the ability to ship your favorite characters with each other and go "now kith" and force them to have babies...so just...imagine that added to Star Fox...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Kid Icarus Uprising would've been a good template to draw from, but judging by how they've never ported it, revisited it, or worked toward a sequel, it seems they were dissatisfied with how it turned out.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is Masahiro Sakurai's baby, and he's currently chained to a radiator in a Smash dungeon.

And this is the double edged sword with Nintendo. They, at least more than most publishers, leave stewardship of their IPs with the people who made them. No, the creators don't own them in any legal sense. But in the creative sense, Nintendo lets them keep their children.
    Sometimes they grow beyond them, like Mario and Miyamoto. Other times a successor is handpicked to take over stewardship like Zelda and Eiji Aonuma. Other times the original creator dies in a car accident and the IP is orphaned to a certain degree or gets added to Miyamoto's stable of IPs he's responsible for, like Metroid.

Namrok on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

$$$$

Personally I can see why they could turn Fire Emblem around but not Star Fox.

Chess-like tactical games just have a broader potential to incorporate more systems without feeling they've strayed too far from the source/core gameplay loop. Half the people who love Star Fox seemingly want a linear "rollercoaster" shooter or no sale.

Also remember a big part of what turned Fire Emblem around was adding the ability to ship your favorite characters with each other and go "now kith" and force them to have babies...so just...imagine that added to Star Fox...

I mean

there were like at least 3 characters in Command who were family members of previously established characters (Slippy's wife, Peppy's daughter, Andross's... son, I think?). So, that whole concept isn't too far removed from Star Fox, honestly.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

$$$$

Hmm maybe. Maybe he will only make new ones of those games if he could come up with a way to change everything up while keeping the core in tact. And unfortunately can't come up with a way to do it. I would be 100% okay with Star Fox 64 but more. Give me the pretty graphics, branching levels, just more of it. I don't need any gimmicks.

Thing is, I don't think people are going to be willing to shell full price for a rail shooter. And Nintendo is not a fan of releasing games for their "big" IPs at less than standard price.

Like, Sin&Punishment 2 on the Wii caught all sorts of shit for daring to sell for full price while being a rail shooter, and that game was stupidly fun.

Steam ID: Right here.
    Drascin wrote: »

$$$$

Thing is, I don't think people are going to be willing to shell full price for a rail shooter. And Nintendo is not a fan of releasing games for their "big" IPs at less than standard price.

Like, Sin&Punishment 2 on the Wii caught all sorts of shit for daring to sell for full price while being a rail shooter, and that game was stupidly fun.

I can't imagine alot of money going into a rails shooter. But yeah there's not a lot of data for the total number of units sold for Star Fox games out there. https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/23/series-analysis-star-fox/ (WARNING: VGChartz) says Star Fox 64 was their highest selling game at around 4 million. The later versions barely broke a million and the DS ones were under a million.

I guess the world isn't into rail shooters anymore? What about that Star Wars: Squadron game? How'd that do? I guess having Star Wars attached to it might bump up the sale of it.

edited January 2021
    Kid Icarus Uprising did things nice for a rail shooter. For one, it had a fairly nice story that went in order, kinda like Assault. Second, the on-foot sections allowed you to do some secret-hunting. The Intensity system for difficulty made it interesting to repeat chapters on harder difficulties for more rewards, and to try to do it all without dying. And it also had a nice little multiplayer mode. That all added up to a lot of replay value and time, for my money.

I think that similar stuff could work for Star Fox. Again, refine Assault and I think we have something worth the price.

Enlong on

$$$$

I can't imagine alot of money going into a rails shooter. But yeah there's not a lot of data for the total number of units sold for Star Fox games out there. https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/23/series-analysis-star-fox/ (WARNING: VGChartz) says Star Fox 64 was their highest selling game at around 4 million. The later versions barely broke a million and the DS ones were under a million.

I guess the world isn't into rail shooters anymore? What about that Star Wars: Squadron game? How'd that do? I guess having Star Wars attached to it might bump up the sale of it.

Squadrons is quite good, but also, like, as close to the literal opposite of a rail shooter you can get in a flying game without just making Descent. You basically spend the whole time spinning on yourself and zipping in every direction in 3D space (ships in Squadrons are maneuverable to a level I'm pretty sure would kill you from g-forces if you were inside one).

Hell, what if we had customizable Arwings? 2 and Command had a bunch of different ships for different pilots. In a single-player game, we could maybe obtain upgrades or alternate options for parts of the ship, like the wings, guns, engine, and such.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Huh, looks like VGChartz actually corrected their usual shit with the right number -- Star Fox 64 really did sell four million, and was the ninth-best selling N64 game.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Starlink is the best modern day Starfox game. Just do that with all starfox characters.

Minus the toys, although that mini arwing is pretty cool.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    I haven't played it in 20 years but I am confident in saying the Colony Wars series would be an excellent template to draw from.
    I can't imagine alot of money going into a rails shooter.

I feel like modern rail shooters might take more money. It's no longer so acceptable to just repeat a scrolling landscape and throw different enemy configurations at the player, now every level has to tell a story, like an adventure roller coaster ride. I would compare it to setpiece heavy series like Uncharted, things have to be escalating and exploding the whole time.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

$$$$

Squadrons is quite good, but also, like, as close to the literal opposite of a rail shooter you can get in a flying game without just making Descent. You basically spend the whole time spinning on yourself and zipping in every direction in 3D space (ships in Squadrons are maneuverable to a level I'm pretty sure would kill you from g-forces if you were inside one).

My bad. I have only seen the previews and it looks like something Star Fox could pull off.

anoffday wrote: »
    Starlink is the best modern day Starfox game. Just do that with all starfox characters.

Minus the toys, although that mini arwing is pretty cool.

I mean, I'm enjoying Starlink alright but also Starlink is straight up just an MMO. It's probably not entirely where the Starfox series should go, I think? A fun outing for Fox and his squad, mind, but there's rather a lot more farming and watching numbers go up and checking modifiers in that game than I think I'd want in a proper Starfox!

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    While I've enjoyed quite a few of the games post Starfox 64, there hasn't been a great Starfox since 64. The updated port on the 3DS is the best way to play that at the moment.

Also I won't be having NSMBU badmouthed! As far as pure level design, it has some of the best level design of any 2D Mario game. It's up there with Mario 3 and World. :mad:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    While I've enjoyed quite a few of the games post Starfox 64, there hasn't been a great Starfox since 64. The updated port on the 3DS is the best way to play that at the moment.

Also I won't be having NSMBU badmouthed! As far as pure level design, it has some of the best level design of any 2D Mario game. It's up there with Mario 3 and World. :mad:

You'll be having NSMBU badmouthed for the rest of your life, better to get used to it now. Remember when they debuted it with that Starry Sky level and people were like "oh, neat, some visual flourishes in this really dull looking series. I can't wait to see what else they have planned" and then... that was it? That was their whole idea, in total? NSMB the series has less ideas than one world of Rayman Legends, it's an embarrassment.

edited January 2021

You'll be having NSMBU badmouthed for the rest of your life, better to get used to it now. Remember when they debuted it with that Starry Sky level and people were like "oh, neat, some visual flourishes in this really dull looking series. I can't wait to see what else they have planned" and then... that was it? That was their whole idea, in total? NSMB the series has less ideas than one world of Rayman Legends, it's an embarrassment.

Meh, I'm just messing. What others think doesn't have much bearing on what I like.

As far as that goes though, yes, Rayman Legends had some really awesome stuff in it. I mean, I got my platinum on it, so I guess I liked it a lot. However, while not the most graphically original, the level design of NSMBU was phenomenal. That is what made the game special to me. :P

Also, it wasn't an embarrassment, that is a bit of an over exaggeration.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    I seem to remember thinking the first NSMB was boring as drywall, but U being a lot more fun.

It definitely does. Some of the most fun gameplay in the series with great level gimmicks all the way through. There aren't too many levels that are simply block configurations, most of them have a specific idea they want to present, like traveling with baby Yoshis across wide dancing mushrooms or escaping from giant eels. If you play the first NSMB and then compare, the creativity level is like night and day. There are a surprising number of enemies and obstacle types that only appear once or twice in the game, like the aforementioned Dragoneels, Grrrols, and King Bills. Lots of unique content.

I also really liked how they weren't afraid to put in massive shortcuts, which were also really hard to find. A lot of games these days are like "we took a long time making this game dammit, and you're gonna see all the content we made!" Here you can skip from world 1 to 5, and 5 to 7. Good game for speed runs.

I seem to remember thinking the first NSMB was boring as drywall, but U being a lot more fun.

Yea, the first one was the weakest of them. They were determined to take it back to basics like the original SMB. It was quite basic and boring.

All of them past that I thought were great.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    NSMB2 is the worst of the bunch.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    NSMB2 is the worst of the bunch.

You think so? That's my second favorite of the series actually. I actually kind of loved the coin gimmick. The first one I think is the weakest and most boring. Wii is super fun, but really just opened the way for the superior 2 and U to me.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    NSNB2 suffered by being released too close to NSMBU.

It's not a bad game, it's just that everyone's comparing it to U.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Pillars of Eternity on Switch just received a HUGE update, supposedly fixing all bugs and bringing it up to the quality level of the PC release.

https://versusevil.com/news/poe1-patch-live/

The game is now 29 gigs which is bigger than it is on PC (23). It launched at 15.8. It seems like a significant rebuild of the game.

I haven't played it on Switch, only on PC, and I loved the game there. I'm not necessarily recommending it on Switch, and it's yet to be seen if this really fixes everything without introducing new bugs. I just wanted to share what sounds like the devs really doing right by their audience and clearing up all the issues that people thought might never be solved. Too many games go abandoned with major unresolved problems so it's nice when a developer actually tries to follow through.

I’ve been waiting for this update. Now I can play this on the go finally.

Kudos to Versus Evil for sticking it out and fixing it.

People are saying it went from 1 minute load times on map transitions to 5 seconds, which given the file size change I would attribute to decompressing everything and storing it raw so it can be loaded up instantly. :P

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Now let’s hope they take their lessons learned and keep them in mind for Deadfire.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I also like Starfox Assault... (the GB one)

64 is the best, though.

And Night Trap get. I don't know what's more surreal, playing it on a handheld, or playing it on a Nintendo system.

Erpvf8NW8AA5wMg?format=png&name=small

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwsGEvqll8k

It's got some issues, but overall it's a solid port. Make sure you change the display to Revamped, so you can see the video previews in the icons. It's a lifesaver.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    I still want a port of Yoshi's Wooly World. That was such a lovely game and while crafted world was adorable... It wasn't really the same.

Agreed. They should've opted to wait and port/update it for Switch instead of 3DS.

Yeah. Like crafted world was charming but it wasn't exactly hard. I remember Wooly World being a: way way bigger, and b: hard enough I was quite happy to switch to winged Yoshi for most of the late game cos ooof

I actually like that the Yoshi games are very easy. As a parent, it's really cool that there is a game series from Nintendo that is very approachable to kids. My 5-year old loves Yoshi and it feels like the right amount of challenge for her. Now if I could only get her to stop being afraid of getting hit or dying. :biggrin:

That's sorto f my point - Wooly World i think struck the balance better. I actually agree on the gmaes being easy, and i really adore the winged yoshi option + the lack of penalty for it. Good game design caters to people of all skill levels!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Good game design caters to people of all skill levels!

I do think this depends on who you've made it for. If you're targeting everyone then yes, your game might be well served having a Nintendoesque invincibility mode. But if you're making Dark Souls, I'm not gonna tell the developer they can't make the kind of game they want to make just because it has to be playable by 7 year olds. The beauty of such a big gaming market is that people can skip games that are designed to be more hardcore than they'd like and go for more mass market ones.