As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Find a [job] thread you enjoy, and you will never have to post a day in your life

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's by train, so it largely just means I spend a lot of time reading and listening to music, but yeah it ain't great.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I can't imagine having a 1 hour commute twice a day that sounds like hell

I had a 30 minute drive on highways to school every day growing up.

Once I graduated from college, I paid extra for an apartment which was 3 miles from my place of work.

When I bought a house, it was 1.5 miles away.

I definitely feel I made the right choice.

...anyway, right now I'm exhausted and feel like my brain is in a mental fog, so I do think that the WFH malaise has finally completely caught up (coupled with anger at an ineffective surgery so I have to get it done again, and also *gestures at the last few months* ).

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I miss going places.

I do not miss waking up at 7 am for a 1hr-1hr15m commute.

If my office ever does go back to everyone on campus full time I seriously may ask to just be kept working remote, I am much more effective when I'm not exhausted constantly.

This is me to a T. I loved seeing my co-workers in person and I loved the amenities our office offered, and the bus stop to my office was less than a block away but...

Not having to wake up at 4:30am every day to be at a frigid bus stop by 5:50am to be in the office by 6:30am only to have to leave work by 3:00pm and, if I'm lucky, get home by 4:30pm is a freaking TREAT let me tell you. It didn't dawn on me how much time was being eaten up by my commute every day until I didn't have to and it's amazing. I don't want to go back now that I see how much time I'm saving every day.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    And yes I realize many people wake up naturally at 7 am or even have to get up before that and I'm slightly being a whiny baby, but also my body is basically hardwired to want to sleep 2/2:30 am - 10:30/11 am and that's been true since I was like 12 and no amount of attempting to change it has worked, so normal working hours fucking suck!

I've probably said this before, but I'd like to thank this thread for really driving home how miserable the working world can be for night owls. As a 4-5 AM extreme early riser, I could easily have become the kind of manager who gets real frustrated with people who struggle with an 8 AM start time and thinks unkind thoughts about their work ethic.

Instead, I know that I should at least experiment with letting them work all evenings and see if that improves things. I've got a couple of folks who are happier and more productive workers on straight 12-9s than they ever were on mostly 8-5s, and it's all because of you sinister creatures of the night sharing your experiences!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

The worst commute I ever had was between two bedroom communities on opposite sides of the city. There was no possible route that would get you a reasonably consistent commute. It always fluctuated between 40 minutes and an hour and a half, depending on how many idiots ran out of luck at the 35/40 interchange that day. Or, on one memorable occasion, two and a half hours because I didn't realize the Thunder was hosting their first playoff game in history.

As someone who hates being late, that commute was psychological torture. These days I've got a commute of fifteen minutes if the stoplights are kind, and it's made a huge difference in my life.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    When I was the 1-10pm admin in California that was the best schedule.

Fridays were 1-4 in exchange for 8am-10pm Mondays. Or was it 9-10 Mondays? I don't recall exactly. There was a weekly meeting Monday morning I had to be part and I merely had to be in the office some vague few minutes before it started in case we needed to add or discuss anything last second from the weekend.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The temp job I just had was a 40 minute commute, which is the longest I've ever had and the longest I feel willing to do for a job I don't love. It was straight down a motorway in pandemic levels of traffic though so it wasn't too bad.

But my best job I rolled out of bed and I was in the office so nothing will ever beat that and I will spend the rest of my life feeling like traveling to your job is what chumps do.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    And yes I realize many people wake up naturally at 7 am or even have to get up before that and I'm slightly being a whiny baby, but also my body is basically hardwired to want to sleep 2/2:30 am - 10:30/11 am and that's been true since I was like 12 and no amount of attempting to change it has worked, so normal working hours fucking suck!

One of the things I most enjoyed about being laid off from April to June was finding out what my natural sleep cycle is 3-4am to 12pm. I have never felt so rested as I did for those three months. Returning to work now has me back to being tired all week because I get maybe 3-5 hours of sleep per night no matter how hard I try to go to bed earlier.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

It is

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

One of the things I most enjoyed about being laid off from April to June was finding out what my natural sleep cycle is 3-4am to 12pm. I have never felt so rested as I did for those three months. Returning to work now has me back to being tired all week because I get maybe 3-5 hours of sleep per night no matter how hard I try to go to bed earlier.

I'm the same - currently unemployed, and my sleep cycle has settled into 4am-1pm. My entire working life has been miserable, and now I know why.

I don't think I can go back to having a job that forces me to fight my body like that. I was never actually suicidal, but I was getting there.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I used to be more of a night owl, but I had more than one job that started 6am, and just.. kind of got used to it. Getting up at 4-5 am was terrible, and I still hate mornings. But a half hour after I get up, I'm usually good to go.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I used to be more of a night owl, but I had more than one job that started 6am, and just.. kind of got used to it. Getting up at 4-5 am was terrible, and I still hate mornings. But a half hour after I get up, I'm usually good to go.

I used to be able to force myself into a morning schedule, but the older I get the harder that gets.

You know how people will say stuff like "when I was in my 20s I could stay up until 3 am, but not anymore"?

When I was in my 20s I could get up at 8 am, but not anymore.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The closer I get to 40 the more pronounced the effects of my habitual lack of sleep. I've now become that guy who gets home from work, sits in a recliner in front of the TV, and falls asleep. I've lost entire evenings that way. It's not something I'm proud of.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm a night owl by inclination but I prefer to get work done early. If shit needs done I'd rather get up early and get it done. My body pretty easily adjusts to new sleep schedules though, so I'm fairly lucky there.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have to balance my night owl status with my equally urgent need to get at least three or four hours of sunshine every day. Right now rolling out of bed and "commuting" to a picnic table in the hills and working there till lunch is my optimal setting, but bastards keep scheduling me with morning meetings, and then it gets cold and dark by 4-ish.

Summer can't happen soon enough.

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    When I took a vacation last week, I shifted to the going to bed at 4AM and waking up at noon. It was glorious but toward the end of the week I had to start shifting back toward my normal 2AM-10AM sleep schedule.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    From when I got out of the Corps until 2016? {I really do not know when I was moved as some months and years mesh into each other} I was basically a night owl going to swing shift so I go to bed at 3 to 4 am and get up around 11 worked out so well for me
    Even with how I had to basically get around sans a car since then
    Pre pandemic it was a pain and inconvenience to work overnights and how things in the area don't really open until after 10am even a lot of grocery stores don't have it all together until after 10am
    I slept far better working swing. I may of not got 8 hours but I felt rested compared to the sloppy brain I have to deal with working overnights as did I get 8 hours or sleep off and on for 6?

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    As a natural night owl who had to work the relentlessly unforgiving early morning into late night hours of the entertainment industry: shit was fucked, and I was young. Now that I'm getting older I can see why so many of my older colleagues would eat their meals on coffee breaks and nap through their meal breaks.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I remember working underground in the middle of winter

You would go down the hole before sunrise, take your lunch and smoko down the hole, and come back up after it was set, or just finished setting. You could go a whole week without seeing the sun, which is an unsettling thing when you’re that close to the equator

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I know some of my reports will want to work remote full time, but I also know my boss won't go for it. I might try to get work from home Fridays permanently.

I also kinda suspect that one or two of them might not be putting in full days because we don't do any spy shit and I don't ping them that often, but I've definitely noticed 2+ hour away periods around lunch and towards the end of days.

• Options
    What an unbelievably petty managerial move to forbid your employees from working remote permanently if they request it.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I just found out my parents are getting more and more vampirish. I tried calling them to make sure they stayed in the loop for vaccine info, and I couldn't get ahold of anybody until 4pm their time. They're mostly retired so they... can. My dad has always been a night-owl, but I'm surprised my mom is starting to keep those hours, too.
    So, I guess we just all need to retire

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Christ I should be so lucky.

• Options
    I have always hated, hated, hated running work by the clock and not by the product.

It is weak, lazy management god now I’m getting all angry about it again

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    I have always hated, hated, hated running work by the clock and not by the product.

It is weak, lazy management god now I’m getting all angry about it again

Gotta put in them 40 hours a week, or else you're a moocher!

• Options
    Gah, Howaaaaard!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    That's Ron to you

• Options
    edited January 2021
    My god it’s spreading!!

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    My department is barely staffed to run functionally on good days. Covid quarantines are killing us.

I didn't get any sleep today when I tried to take a nap before work and now I'm exhausted and I've still got almost 7 hours to go. I am a big cranky boy.

I'm even too tired to pummel a machine and that usually makes me feel better.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    I know some of my reports will want to work remote full time, but I also know my boss won't go for it. I might try to get work from home Fridays permanently.

I also kinda suspect that one or two of them might not be putting in full days because we don't do any spy shit and I don't ping them that often, but I've definitely noticed 2+ hour away periods around lunch and towards the end of days.

So are you missing a lot of productivity?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So my union is pissed the fuck off at the school district for just deciding to go to 100% students without any discussion or any sign of vaccines. They are asking teachers to send them the square footage of their rooms with how many students we are supposed to cram into them. They are also demanding that we don't return to 100% until vaccines happen.

The district is saying that the other districts aren't having issues being at 100%, but they are all rich white school districts. Our students are living in 1 bedroom apartments with 3 generations and six siblings.

We'll see if anything happens. I'm not getting my hopes up.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'm doing another round of graduate CV review and for some reason this batch of graduates have decided it's a good idea to put headshots on their CVs.

I accept when a mid forties German or french person does that as it was the norm over there in the past. Who is telling these kids to do it?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Nothing* worse than trying to work out how to do a specific thing in Excel and every Google search you do brings up how to do the reverse.

No, I don't want to check if a specific string is in a cell, I want to check if any part of this string is in a specific cell. It's not the same, Google.

*Quite a large number of things, really.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

The worst commute I ever had was between two bedroom communities on opposite sides of the city. There was no possible route that would get you a reasonably consistent commute. It always fluctuated between 40 minutes and an hour and a half, depending on how many idiots ran out of luck at the 35/40 interchange that day. Or, on one memorable occasion, two and a half hours because I didn't realize the Thunder was hosting their first playoff game in history.

As someone who hates being late, that commute was psychological torture. These days I've got a commute of fifteen minutes if the stoplights are kind, and it's made a huge difference in my life.

I just moved so my commute dropped from that variable 38 minutes or 90 minutes. Now it is about 7 minutes in normal traffic. When I go back to work next week I expect I will be much more cheerful.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Our remodel crew put a lift through a sprinkler pipe and I was the only person that remembered we have have a portable machine specifically designed for sucking up large quantities of water, so that killed an hour of my day.

Weaver on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    David_T wrote: »
    Nothing* worse than trying to work out how to do a specific thing in Excel and every Google search you do brings up how to do the reverse.

No, I don't want to check if a specific string is in a cell, I want to check if any part of this string is in a specific cell. It's not the same, Google.

https://exceljet.net/formula/cell-contains-specific-text ?

Oh, this won't cover "any part of this string". Maybe.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So my union is pissed the fuck off at the school district for just deciding to go to 100% students without any discussion or any sign of vaccines. They are asking teachers to send them the square footage of their rooms with how many students we are supposed to cram into them. They are also demanding that we don't return to 100% until vaccines happen.

The district is saying that the other districts aren't having issues being at 100%, but they are all rich white school districts. Our students are living in 1 bedroom apartments with 3 generations and six siblings.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/education/article248489130.html

If it helps, an example to toss around. They didn'tt even make it 2 weeks

This is a rich white suburb.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Right, that's for a specific string. Basically I wanted to be able to write "London Barcelona Paris" in a cell and then have Excel tell me how many cells in a range has any of those. Except it's three digit codes. But I guess you couldn't do what I want without running into "oh, this has 'na' in it, I'll count it!".

I'm getting around it by just having six separate calculation sheets to brute force it and then collect the data on the front page.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular

Hopefully they realize that this is a terrible idea and scrap it for something more realistic. Like not going back to in person before people are vaccinated.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Right, that's for a specific string. Basically I wanted to be able to write "London Barcelona Paris" in a cell and then have Excel tell me how many cells in a range has any of those. Except it's three digit codes. But I guess you couldn't do what I want without running into "oh, this has 'na' in it, I'll count it!".

I'm getting around it by just having six separate calculation sheets to brute force it and then collect the data on the front page.

Python time?

This discussion has been closed.