As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is Larry the Cable Guy saying watch [Game Grumps] and CoNSumE PriLOsEc

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Like, this new episode is emblematic of how ridiculous Danganronpa is with its flow and storytelling. They make the player go through an entire truth bullet segment to prove that a character wasn't dead at a certain point... a character that spoke to the others *after* that point and *died in one of their arms*. And then when we get to the trial literally everyone acts like this is a shocking development, including the character in whose arms the person in question died.

It's really bad.

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Spoilers just in case even though I'm not talking about anything revealed after today's episode.
    The moment of him waking up and speaking in Hina's arms is kinda irrelevant here, since it happened after the body discovery announcement, so he should have actually been dead at that point regardless. You could argue that he was basically dead at that point and just had a weird moment of waking up and dying again, which makes just as much sense no matter when he was killed. I think it's perfectly understandable that the characters wouldn't immediately realize he was alive before... although I personally think that waking scene was kinda dumb either way. I guess maybe Monokuma just made a mistake and he wasn't dead yet, but it's a pretty shaky explanation either way.

I do agree though that the game has some moments where things don't really make sense, or the characters just somehow miss something that is blatantly obvious. This case is definitely an example of it, but I don't think it's that bad.

Mostly it's a problem of the dialogue wording and flow. What they are trying to establish is important, the time and place the character was attacked. But instead of that they are framing it as when he died- which is stupid because he died with several of them present, in one of their arms as she was crying over his death.

It was a huge emotional moment guaranteed to stick in the player's mind, then they have the characters forget entirely.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Before I forgot cause I'm not done with this hour long episode but it is impressive that when picking the culprit Arin can give the exact reasons the person is suspicious and then bitch about it after selecting them and saying it makes no sense and then it gets discussed in game and it makes sense.

He absolutely killed it on the rest of the trial after that.

I really liked the end to this episode.
    Arin wanting to leave it on thag cliffhanger so badly was really funny to me for some reason.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So all the hating on the game aside there's some awesome 10th anniversary art out now.

If you're going to ask / talk about any of the characters in the above art put it in spoilers.

I guess I'll be super safe about spoilers regarding that art just in case.
    I briefly thought it was cute how that art tries to keep the characters who are friends or more together, but then it really bothers me how Aoi and Sakura are separated.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I briefly thought it was cute how that art tries to keep the characters who are friends or more together, but then it really bothers me how Aoi and Sakura are separated.
    I think that decision in the art came down to one thing:
    They didn't want to place Junko at the very top.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Appreciated the Dead By Daylight video. It's clear that Arin enjoys the game... Even though he started the video trying to temper expectations lol

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My roommate plays DbD a LOT so I imagine Arin hateplays it in his spare time. It seems like one of those games that is a lot of fun but can very easily turn frustrating against good players.

edited January 2021
    It's really cool. I enjoy it a lot but I watch shitty B horror flicks for fun. I'm just awful at QTEs. I'm too old for that shit.

Edit: lots of 'I's in that post sheesh.

urahonky on
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Kyoko should be closer to/next to Makoto

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Aistan wrote: »
    Like, this new episode is emblematic of how ridiculous Danganronpa is with its flow and storytelling. They make the player go through an entire truth bullet segment to prove that a character wasn't dead at a certain point... a character that spoke to the others *after* that point and *died in one of their arms*. And then when we get to the trial literally everyone acts like this is a shocking development, including the character in whose arms the person in question died.

It's really bad.

Arin slayed me with "Do I really have to throw truth bullets at this one?"

I'm struggling to understand why the game has all these characters believing he already died when he clearly died later. Is this really what the creators of the game intended, or is this all some weird translation error? It's more believable to me that the people in charge of the English translation fucked-up really, really, badly than to think this was intended.

I also don't recall any of this coming up when I watched the anime. Maybe it did briefly and I forgot, though.

EDIT: I saw at least one person argue that he really did die and literally came back to life because of the tear, which was very amusing.

Hexmage-PA on
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I’m super bored with this series, but I’m also usually bored when they do visual novel games. This one hurts more though since it just keeps going.

I've been using this time to go through some of their older series that I stopped. Started Breath of the Wild again.

edited January 2021
    So the latest Danganronpa, the characters are talking about how big hair guy's abilities aren't occult in nature, then he talks about cows getting killed and I figured it was a segue into him saying he's not into animal sacrifice and demons and stuff... but detective girl says he's talking about aliens and then he goes on a story about aliens abducting his hamburger.

Which, sure. Weird, but whatever this is a weird game.

What do aliens have to do with the occult though? Is this another translation thing?

Aistan on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So the latest Danganronpa, the characters are talking about how big hair guy's abilities aren't occult in nature, then he talks about cows getting killed and I figured it was a segue into him saying he's not into animal sacrifice and demons and stuff... but detective girl says he's talking about aliens and then he goes on a story about aliens abducting his hamburger.

Which, sure. Weird, but whatever this is a weird game.

What do aliens have to do with the occult though? Is this another translation thing?

Hiro is saying clairvoyance is not occult while everyone else is and then he goes into the weird abduction story. Alien stuff is lumped into the occult in Japanese culture I think.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    It's also that Hiro is a weird, scatter-brained guy. Even the main character is like "uh, ok..." after that story.

I'm just glad we got a unique art asset of his hamburger getting abducted by aliens.

edited January 2021

There was this manga I used to read called Sgt. Frog where one of the main human characters was into the occult. It was through this I learned that in Japanese pop culture "occult" basically means "paranormal" (and that the Flatwoods Monster is for some reason very popular in Japan).

As someone who was a kid that loved reading about the paranormal, a comedy manga with a main character obsessed with the paranormal that featured stuff like alien ninja frogs fighting the chupacabra really, really appealed to me.

EDIT: I somehow failed to mention that one of the recurring characters was the Lord of Terror prophesied by Nostradamus. She of course looked like a teen girl and was from an alien race called the Angols, one of which named Angol Fia was a playable character in Soul Calibur IV.

Hexmage-PA on
    Okay YouTube recommended their BotW comments video and listening back to the Nevada pronunciation thing (with their reactions on top of it) was fucking hysterical.

edited January 2021

It's really bad.

I just re-watched the anime episode covering this trial:
    First off, the whole "everybody thinks Hifumi was dead despite speaking to Aoi" thing is completely excised.

Second, the other characters are much smarter and have more agency. Aoi and Sakura find some of the evidence instead of Makoto, for example. I was a kind of surprised how little Makoto spoke during the trial.

Third, Monokuma does little things in the background during the trial like eat pancakes.

Finally, the trial only takes about ten minutes from start to finish.

Honestly, people who are turned-off by the Grumps' playthrough of the game might still enjoy the anime adaptation. The story does get pretty out there, and one character in particular is a joy to hear voice acted. Also the theme song is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziyz17r8F8A

Hexmage-PA on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

There was this manga I used to read called Sgt. Frog where one of the main human characters was into the occult. It was through this I learned that in Japanese pop culture "occult" basically means "paranormal" (and that the Flatwoods Monster is for some reason very popular in Japan).

As someone who was a kid that loved reading about the paranormal, a comedy manga with a main character obsessed with the paranormal that featured stuff like alien ninja frogs fighting the chupacabra really, really appealed to me.

EDIT: I somehow failed to mention that one of the recurring characters was the Lord of Terror prophesied by Nostradamus. She of course looked like a teen girl and was from an alien race called the Angols, one of which named Angol Fia was a playable character in Soul Calibur IV.

I know there's an enemy based on the Flatwoods Monster in Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (it even tries to abduct cows!), and I was gonna say Sableye from Pokemon, but the latter is apparently based on the Hopkinsville Goblin. What is it with the Japanese interest in obscure American paranormal sightings?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited January 2021
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I know there's an enemy based on the Flatwoods Monster in Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (it even tries to abduct cows!), and I was gonna say Sableye from Pokemon, but the latter is apparently based on the Hopkinsville Goblin. What is it with the Japanese interest in obscure American paranormal sightings?

I rewatched the first episode of the Danganronpa anime and noticed the top of the rocket at the beginning even resembles the Flatwood Monster's spade-shaped head (albeit with a Monokuma face, of course).

I also just discovered that in Japan it's (for some reason) known as "The Three Meter Tall Alien", which explains why the representative of the species in the Sgt. Frog manga I read over a decade ago was named 3M and was constantly measuring things.

ip1zvgcnkvmo.png

Hexmage-PA on
    edited January 2021
    I've just never considered aliens to be paranormal, I guess. There's no scientific reason aliens couldn't exist, so while it's unlikely they are visiting us and stealing our hamburgers it's not like ghosts or mothmen or angels or vampires.

Might just be a me problem if it's contrary to colloquial usage.

E: I forgot the word they use in the game is occult. Aliens are definitely not occult and I will totally die on that hill.

Aistan on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'd say alien visitation of earth falls under 'paranormal', but to my mind occult =/= paranormal. Occult makes me think of religion, myths, and general spiritualism. Paranormal makes me think of psychics, cryptids, and alien abductions. Ghosts would be an area of overlap. I guess to me it's like fantasy vs sci-fi.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I just started watching the Dangonronpa anime too (up to episode 6) because of the Grumps LP, only disappointing thing about the English dub is that they went with a different voice actor for Monokuma.
    I have no idea why they didn't go with the same VA as the game, I thought they were perfect for the character. They go "Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!" when they laugh, instead of "Puhuhuhu!" :lol:
    Only Makoto sounds the same VA. I wonder if the Japanese VA's are any better - I usually prefer subs to dubs with anime.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Don't watch the Danganronpa anime series. It's so fucking garbage.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Quite a few people seem to enjoy it, seems to me this is rather aggressive when it would be more productive to list some reasons why you think that instead of just grunting loudly and walking away

edited January 2021
    Henroid wrote: »

Quite a few people seem to enjoy it, seems to me this is rather aggressive when it would be more productive to list some reasons why you think that instead of just grunting loudly and walking away
    The "aggressive" part is assuming I walked away or was unwilling to give details you could've easily asked for but didn't and instead decided to jump to conclusions. Which I'm happy to do!

1) Not a fan of the changes to the main villain.
    2) The music of Danganronpa was made with "playing a video game" in mind. It sounds pretty awkward when you just 1:1 it over into a produced television show. The Castlevania anime didn't use music straight ripped from the video games. They composed new stuff, and while it was based on the original video game tracks obviously they restructured it and were careful with their instrument use to make sure it worked in a different format that had a different context and emotion. Or you could look at Pokemon, which did the same thing - no 1:1 rip of music.
    3) Making a show to 1:1 a visual novel actually fucking sucks because it takes away from celebrating the original work; people should be sent to the root work, by way of a newly produced work. Which they did! BUUUUUUUUUUUUUT
    4) Danganronpa 3, not to be confused with Danganronpa v3 the video game, was a new anime production. And it absolutely abandoned the imagination and core tensions of the two video games that preceded it, replacing it all with LITERAL ANIME COMBAT SCENES. I mean come the fuck on.

Edit - This isn't 2003 when I would eat, live, and breathe these forums as much as I can throughout my day. Sometimes I go away from it to do other shit. So I will answer queries on my own time, not when you demand me to.

Henroid on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I just started watching the Dangonronpa anime too (up to episode 6) because of the Grumps LP, only disappointing thing about the English dub is that they went with a different voice actor for Monokuma.
    I have no idea why they didn't go with the same VA as the game, I thought they were perfect for the character. They go "Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!" when they laugh, instead of "Puhuhuhu!" :lol:
    Only Makoto sounds the same VA. I wonder if the Japanese VA's are any better - I usually prefer subs to dubs with anime.

If you've watched a bunch of Doraemon, the Japanese dub will be incredible.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The Danganronpa 1 anime's alright. The Danganronpa 3 anime duo, however, largely sucks outside of a few golden moments.

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    I like all of it anime and games, the criticisms fall on deaf ears to me, but to each their own I suppose.

Oh my god do you guys remember the catchy ghost bit? I totally forgot about it and I'm dying over here.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The dub situation is weird.

Despite being an adaptation of the game, the DR1 anime came to the west first. It had a pretty rough dub outside of a few characters.

Then we got the game, and for whatever reason only Makoto was kept, and everyone else re-cast. But it's a SIGNIFICANTLY better dub than the anime. Especially when it comes to the mastermind who has an absolutely delightful vocal performance in the game, and a dreadful one in the anime.

Then we got DR2 and Ultra Despair Girls, that continue using DR1 game VAs when needed along with new VAs playing the new characters.

Then we have Danganronpa 3, which is NOT a game at all. But it finishes the story so if you are a fan of the games and want that final closure you want to watch it. Except for some reason they decided to use the VAs from the old anime instead of the games. So you have DR1 characters voiced by the anime cast, while DR2 and UDG characters have their game casts(with a couple changes due to availability).

Then we have DRV3 which is NOT a direct sequel to anything above, but is instead in it's own universe/continuity. Though almost every character is voiced by someone who voiced a character in a previous game.

I unironically love all of Danganronpa including all the anime. I think I might just have terrible test but just not care.

I unironically love all of Danganronpa including all the anime. I think I might just have terrible test but just not care.

"Taste" is obviously subjective. I just wish I liked more things. I'm so jealous of my friends who go to movies like Transformers and come out talking about how much fun they had. My interests are far too narrow and only narrowing as I get older and I don't like it.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    It is unwise to eat your animes.

steam_sig.png
    Just a heads up that the "Last time on Game Grumps" in today's episode actually shows stuff from today's episode in error. Hopefully they fix it soon.

There's been a few editing issues recently, thinking about it. Makes me realize that I don't even know who their current editor is.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I liked the DR3 anime somewhat, I think it’s just kind of disappointing. But I’d rather have it than not have any closure at all.

My one big issue with it is(BIG FULL DR SERIES SPOILERS):
    Changing Junko from a cult of personality figure who uses her charisma and Ultimate Analysis talent to manipulate and brainwash people into following her and her ideology, into just having a literal brainwashing machine, really sucked. It not only diminished her as a villain, but it diminished the tragedy of the fall of the DR2 cast.

Just a heads up that the "Last time on Game Grumps" in today's episode actually shows stuff from today's episode in error. Hopefully they fix it soon.

I noticed that but assumed it was a joke.

This discussion has been closed.