As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comfort [MOVIE] Thread

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Yeah I chalk up half of the confusion to Nolan being such an obnoxious weirdo with sound mixing. I found the dialogue to pretty much explain everything. But that isn’t helpful if you bury it in the mix

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Ok that has actually helped me, now my final question
    Ok so when she goes back in time to kill the husband, is the series of events:

- goes back in time on the shipping container to the week before
    - at some point, unseen, goes through the turnstile again so she is going forward in time
    - goes to the boat, moving forward in time, kills the husband
    - now there are two of her at the same time, until she hangs out long enough for past her to make the trip back?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

- at some point, unseen, goes through the turnstile again so she is going forward in time
    - now there are two of her at the same time, until she hangs out long enough for past her to make the trip back?

Pretty much yes. Don't think about it too hard. Chris Nolan doesn't seem to have.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My only real issue with Action Jackson is that Carl Weathers has a shirt on for way too much of the movie

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    3clipse wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    ok, for people who have seen Tenet. I have a question. I understand the pithy answer to this question is something snarky like the movie doesn't care or that none of it makes sense, and I already think this! But I want to see if there is at least some internal logic in the movie that goes against something I at least took away from the theatre. I also will say that I could barely hear any of the dialogue in the theatre so maybe I missed it:
    Early on in the movie, the characters make it very clear that people cannot go back in time, or time travel, but you can make things time travel. You can also invert yourself with energy rays to make yourself move backwards in time kind of a little bit, but not for a super long time because you can't breathe while doing it unassisted.

So...then why does the climax of the movie, actually three very important aspects of the movie, have people time traveling? Like, they seem to just turn on a dime and go ok well just go to last week and fix the problem?
    I don't recall them ever saying people can't time travel. But you can't just dial in a time and go straight there. If you want to go back to a specific point, you have to invert and then just.... live your way back to that moment in real time

Kind of like Primer, where you can only go back as long as spend in the machine
    But it never shows them doing that, right? Like the Wife just shows up on the boat at the end of the movie?

I don’t know, I just really did not understand the movie as I was watching it even a little bit. I do not understand why Nolan mixes the dialogue sound the way he does

if you could clearly hear everything people were saying in a chris nolan movie, you'd immediately know how dumb things are

this is only a half-joke

no for Tenet it's completely spot on

oh no, i believe it

it's a willful decision on nolan's part to obfuscate dialogue a lot of the time; particularly in his plot-driven/neat ideas movies

when he is interested in characters, you get stuff like the dark knight trilogy where everyone talks in speeches

i can even see merit to it; if the dialogue is perfunctory at best, might as well have it whisp in and around the action and set pieces you are more interested in; it conditions the audience to lean in, so the explosion can blow them away that much further.

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Yeah like I get the choice in something like Dunkirk? Where it's way more about putting you in the middle of a historical event. And yeah I mean it's all gunna be tactics jargon anyways.

Here it's like you have an intricate puzzlebox that expects you to work it out, and the necessary information is given to you by a broken drive-in speaker box basically

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    (i still loved it, but boy do I get that complaint especially)

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I chalk up a lot of my enjoyment of the film to watching it with a pair of nice headphones, at home, late at night with almost no extraneous noise.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have defeated Nolan with... subtitles

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I have defeated Nolan with... subtitles

The real reason he wants people to watch it in theaters

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    MICHAEL CAINE DELIVERS LINES WITH A MOUTH FULL OF FOOD

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Kat gets caught and is shot with an inverted bullet at the docks. She apparently needs several days of inverted time to heal from this. They invert at the docks turnstile and travel via container one week back to the Oslo airport turnstile. They use the airport turnstile to start moving forward again. They invert again and move back in time on a cargo ship to Russia. They use the ship turnstile to invert and move forward again, Neil goes off to do the Algorithm mission, Kat travels to Vietnam and gets on the boat while younger Kat is out. Old Kat kills Satore and goes on to live with her son. Young Kat sees Old Kat dive off the boat and continues on with events in forward time until she is shot and becomes Old Kat.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    SirToasty wrote: »

yeah I do find that a bit odd

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    If people would just start fuckin payin me to say shit theyd fuckin learn a lot ill say that
    DEAL. I can only make payment in poorly cured wild goat pelts
    tynic wrote: »
    yeah honestly your average adult human is gonna be tough and gamey at best , Hannibal's whole schtick is performative.
    What cut are we talking about? A silverside sure yeah definitely. A nice backstrap though?

Also, I feel like the activity level of a standard western human wouldn’t make them to gamey and tough, right??

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    hell yeah the conversation is heating up again

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I can understand Nolan thinking dialogue would be more dramatic with a bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese

unfortunately there is more of gravy than of grave with that approach

wandering on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Just read an article about Altered States and how Ken Russell got around Paddy Chayefsky's iron-clad contract not to change the script by having characters eat while speaking, race through dialogue, or overlap/background it whenever possible.

I really need to watch that bonkers movie again.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Ray Fisher has been fired from The Flash

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Ray Fisher is a fucking badass

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Not awesoming because he got the sack, but for being someone with moral courage

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Because of this I will boycott the Snyder Cut, like my role model @Rorshach Kringle will be doing.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    That was honestly the easiest paycheck Michael Caine ever made.

"I'll be dining here, being your camera's, I know my lines, and mind the bill on your way out."

Didn't even have to change his characters name.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Kat gets caught and is shot with an inverted bullet at the docks. She apparently needs several days of inverted time to heal from this. They invert at the docks turnstile and travel via container one week back to the Oslo airport turnstile. They use the airport turnstile to start moving forward again. They invert again and move back in time on a cargo ship to Russia. They use the ship turnstile to invert and move forward again, Neil goes off to do the Algorithm mission, Kat travels to Vietnam and gets on the boat while younger Kat is out. Old Kat kills Satore and goes on to live with her son. Young Kat sees Old Kat dive off the boat and continues on with events in forward time until she is shot and becomes Old Kat.

Wait no. BS.
    After old Kat shoots her husband he is dead and can’t shoot young Kat for her to turn into old Kat. Unless there are somehow multiple husbands running around that they never mention?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I still haven't seen Justice League and at this point I'm content to keep it that way.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I still haven't seen Justice League and at this point I'm content to keep it that way.

Ditto. What is this Justice League Investigation? Is there more info on that?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2021
    Because of this I will boycott the Snyder Cut, like my role model Rorshach Kringle will be doing.

fisher has had nothing but good things to say about working with snyder from what i've seen

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

Wait no. BS.
    After old Kat shoots her husband he is dead and can’t shoot young Kat for her to turn into old Kat. Unless there are somehow multiple husbands running around that they never mention?
    There are and they did mention it. Satore wants to go back to a time he enjoyed to end his life and destroy everything. He picks the time in Vietnam. Past Satore leaves to go do stuff. Future Satore arrives right after under the guise that he's just coming back for something.

• Options
    Tenet.
    You know what got an audible out of me? Kenneth Branagh's fucking rag doll broken neck after Elizabeth Debicki slid him off the boat.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

Wait no. BS.
    There are and they did mention it. Satore wants to go back to a time he enjoyed to end his life and destroy everything. He picks the time in Vietnam. Past Satore leaves to go do stuff. Future Satore arrives right after under the guise that he's just coming back for something.

Ohhhhhh gotcha. I must have missed that bit. I retract my bs

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Tenet.
    You know what got an audible out of me? Kenneth Branagh's fucking rag doll broken neck after Elizabeth Debicki slid him off the boat.

He joined the ranks of
    Propeller Guy in Titanic

in terms of making me go "oooof!"

• Options

I have intensely disliked everything I've seen from Noah Baumbach, and I also intensely disliked White Noise

But the manner in which I disliked White Noise intersects really well with the manner in which I dislike Noah Baumbach, and Adam Driver and Greta Gerwig are really fascinating performers, and I legit can't wait to find out which fascinating ways I'll hate this movie

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I read White Noise in high school and I wanted to put that thing through a wood chipper

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Wasn't there a horror movie in the mid aughts called White Noise? Something like TV static killing people?

• Options
    Yeah, I read White Noise in high school and I wanted to put that thing through a wood chipper

Noah Baumbach thinking that what the current moment NEEDS is a work about Gen-Xer conformity-fear is just

So exactly in line with my lowest opinions of him

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Oh thank god

I have not enjoyed a single Noah Baumbach film

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've only seen The Squid and the Whale but I didn't care for it

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I love other DeLillo stuff, but it took me a year or two after White Noise to give anything else of his a chance. Mao II and Ratner's Star were much better.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Hubris, probably.

Oh, that's your answer for everything

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I loved Frances Ha

I thought Greenberg was a really interesting showcase of Great Gerwig's and Ben Stiller's talents but there's only so much interest a slow-motion self-destruction can hold for me

Mistress America really seemed like a less-interesting iteration on all of Frances Ha's ideas and it made hardly any impression on me

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I liked all the actors and what they're doing in marriage story but it being about two rich people wasting probably 6 figures on divorce lawyers sets it back quite a bit

This discussion has been closed.