As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

2.0 Patch Notes. Pack Your Bags' mana cost is going up from 1 to 5.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I made a Go Hard deck late last season and a Yordle Nabbed the "Pack Your Bags" from me. I then drew it myself and said, "No You Pack Your Bags!" and won.

Also recently found out you can Nab a card with a puffcap on it and it hurts you instead :rotate:

• narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    Even though they're changing its cost by 4, I'm gonna guess this will not deter people from playing go hard decks in the slightest

Narwhal#1834
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    It probably won't deter people but it will prevent them from just keeping up 1 Mana and blowing you out, or basically comboing and getting pack your bags and using it in one turn. It should affect it's win rate a little at least since so many games are won by slight margins.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    narwhal wrote: »
    Even though they're changing its cost by 4, I'm gonna guess this will not deter people from playing go hard decks in the slightest

I wouldn't think so. A big change though, due to letting players play around more outs. Only having to float one mana to deal 5 damage paralyzes any development by your opponent. That and the blowout of playing something like Ruination to clear their board and then Pack Your Bags to wipe out the redeveloped board.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    It secretly makes the card stronger since Ionia players can no longer Nopeify!

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I wouldn't think so. A big change though, due to letting players play around more outs. Only having to float one mana to deal 5 damage paralyzes any development by your opponent. That and the blowout of playing something like Ruination to clear their board and then Pack Your Bags to wipe out the redeveloped board.

Yup. The big change is that your opponent now has to float 5 mana to threaten Pack Your Bags.

Also, Nab is actually a legit and hilarious sort-of counter to Go Hard decks and it's never not funny.

oooo I had a big brain moment today in expedition. my opponent had a 6/5 fearsome boi that they'd given flying with a fae guide, plus a leveled up Kat in their hand. They'd played a deny earlier in the turn and then played Kat to rally and use up the rest of their mana. When they swung in, I decisive maneuvered to stun their big fly boi, blocked their guide, and let Kat hit and return to hand. I then swung back with my newly beefed up board for lethal cuz they no longer had blockers. Felt real good!

Narwhal#1834
    I just hope whatever they do to grand plaza is considerable. There's so little counterplay because the landmark removal is terrible, and you can't really build up a board against it because that is precisely what it destroys. I think either increase it's cost to 4, lose the challenger, or only give +1/+0.

oooo I had a big brain moment today in expedition. my opponent had a 6/5 fearsome boi that they'd given flying with a fae guide, plus a leveled up Kat in their hand. They'd played a deny earlier in the turn and then played Kat to rally and use up the rest of their mana. When they swung in, I decisive maneuvered to stun their big fly boi, blocked their guide, and let Kat hit and return to hand. I then swung back with my newly beefed up board for lethal cuz they no longer had blockers. Felt real good!

Nice! That is some big brain stuff!
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I just hope whatever they do to grand plaza is considerable. There's so little counterplay because the landmark removal is terrible, and you can't really build up a board against it because that is precisely what it destroys. I think either increase it's cost to 4, lose the challenger, or only give +1/+0.

Agreed. Plaza is a strong card and the game should have strong cards, but it's just a bit too much. Challenger is what allows it to make other cards viable, so I hope they keep that. Either changing the cost to 4, giving +1 attack, or only affecting played units (not summoned) could be the answer.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    The summoned unit thing is probably the biggest issue. Valor summoned by quinn, the 2/4 that summons a random unit, and the 3/1 that dies and makes a 3/4 are obnoxious. If they don't change it there's going to be some weird power creep where new units are going to have to be 3/8s to be competitive unless that have equally abusive play/strike triggers.

Also I simply do not see how the lee/zoe deck keeps popping up on the meta game list. It flops over dead to the other like top 4 decks. The only time I don't beat it with any of my decks are when I have that wrong half of the deck syndrome.

I think fiora shen is going to be the next deck I work towards. It has a lot of different ways to attack and has combat tricks. I'm also a slut for alt wincons.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Lee struggles with Scouts and pure aggro, but it beats Go Hard, Ez/Draven, Fiora/Shen, and Daybreak Plaza. Go Hard ran a lot of the aggro decks out of town, just that Zoe/Draven thing left, so it's really just Scouts that has a favorable matchup.

E: With Go Hard nerfed, whether it's actually less effective or not, it'll see less play. So we'll probably see more aggro again and less of a good Lee matchup in the ensuing meta.

Yilias on
    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Anyone have a favorite goofy/fun non-meta deck that at least kinda works in platinum? I'm looking for something new to try but I'm having trouble finding something that works.

Oooo an event calendar :tell_me_more:

Sad Moon Boi Feb 3

New Season/Region March 3

Making Plaza not effect summoned units feels like it would rob it of the only thing that makes it interesting.

Plaza scouts is the least interesting deck in the game to play against. It's too binary of a deck. Yours is either designed to beat it alone or you lose to it.

Grinded up to 13 today. Ready to be disappointed by my vault again tomorrow.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Anyone have a favorite goofy/fun non-meta deck that at least kinda works in platinum? I'm looking for something new to try but I'm having trouble finding something that works.

Sej/Teemo has been a popular T2-T3 deck for a long time, and Ballistic Bot has been a strong addition: CECQIAIEBAMTIOQCAMCAKCYCAEASAMQBAMAQEAICAEBAGAQBAECCUAICAEFACAYECQBACAIEDMAQGBAN

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    i dunno if anyone has tried the new lab. but the coop vs noxus is awful. i played 7 games and won once. and the only reason we won was because we got a swole squirrel and had the cards to give it barrier, quick attack, or frostbite the enemy every turn, and eventually give it lifesteal when we were at 4 health and it had 32 attack.

I’ve always been partial to zombie Anivia. It works really well as an amazing control deck. I can shoot you the code if you’re interested.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

I’ve always been partial to zombie Anivia. It works really well as an amazing control deck. I can shoot you the code if you’re interested.
    Yes please! I’m partial to Freljord so this deck and Yilias’s Sej/Teemo idea both sound fun.

Yes please! I’m partial to Freljord so this deck and Yilias’s Sej/Teemo idea both sound fun.

You got it. Here’s the code:

CIBAIAIBAMKBQMQIAECQCAYPCQOSQMJWAEAQCAI5AEBACBJAFM

This is a Control heavy variant that doesn’t have any ramp. You can add in ramp if you want, but it may or may not be necessary in the post-nerf Go Hard meta.

General game plan is to get Anivia in play ASAP and get her killed off. Bring her back with The Rekindler and use Chronicler of Ruin on the Rekindler. Once you have 1-2 Rekindler and 1-2 Anivia dead, play The Reckoning to create a board of 4 or so Anivia. Attack for large AoE damage, and when they die, they become eggs and come back.

Mulligan for Kindly Tavernkeeper in all matches. AoE spells/Vile Feast for Aggro matches and Glimpse Beyond/Anivia for Control matches.

Specifics:

Vs FTR: get Anivia in play ASAP. Stall with Anivia’s Champion spell (tutor it with Entreat). Kill Tryndamere (use Vengeance) to get his second form online. Save Ruination for after their FTR cast. Use Reckoning defensively if you have to.

Vs Obliterate: hold Glimpse Beyond to use on Anivia when the opponent tries to Obliterate her with the Sea Monster or Comet.

Vs TahmSorraka: pray they don’t get a Star Spring in play early. Make trades only when you can guarantee a kill, otherwise let the damage through and try to heal through it. Play Anivia and kill her with Glimpse Beyond when Tahm tries to eat her. Play the Reckoning when you have 4-5 Anivia coming back and go for a full board wipe. Anything less and you’ll just fuel the Spring and lose. If this deck comes back (I doubt it) tech in a Crumble.

Good luck!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited January 2021
    I play Riven/Viktor and I find Viktor to be fun but Im not sure if it would "work" at platinum.

I also faced an opponent that had Viktor only and he kept buffing and I kept stunning and right when I was about to swing for the win he played Audacity for a 15 damage win.

So my point is that Viktor is fun.

Edit: Ive been getting to level 11 for my vaults as well and the diamond chests make a big difference. Ive had a couple times where Ive gotten an upgrade and a second diamond chest as well. As well as 6 rare wildcards today! (Rares have been what Im missing the most of lately so its a big deal for me)

Bedlam on
    I got to level 12 Vault this week. 8 Commons (3 new, 5 Wild Cards) and 3 Rares (1 new, 2 Wild Cards). Throw in the Champion Wild Card, Expedition token, and 2.2k Shards for a nice week.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I got a zed along with the champ wildcard. And an epic turned into a wildcard as well. It seems weird how rare the epic cards/wildcards seem to be. They are basically as rare as champs, but cost way less to craft with shards.

• Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Between my vault and finishing up an Ionia Champion Capsule reward, I've picked up 3 champions in the last 24 hours: third copies of Tryndamere and Zed, and my first copy of Lulu. Not terribly excited about Tryndamere or Zed, but I won't mind them converting to shards. Lulu looks like she could be a lot of fun; gonna have to give a few builds a try.

I used my wildcard to get a second copy of Karma, so the Karma/Lux deck has 2 of each now. Should be more consistent. I had a really excellent back-and-forth with a Zoe/Fiona deck the other day where we were both repeatedly driven down to low single-digits, only to scrape back up to near 20 with healing spells and Lifesteal units. I won it, in the end, but I fell like a couple more misplays on my part, or avoided mistakes on theirs, could have tipped it. Exactly the kind of game you hope to have.

I also finished the Demacia reward road, which was very satisfying.

I got a zed along with the champ wildcard. And an epic turned into a wildcard as well. It seems weird how rare the epic cards/wildcards seem to be. They are basically as rare as champs, but cost way less to craft with shards.

Zed and a Wild Card? Nice! The easiest way to get more Epics is to play Expeditions. You’re guaranteed an Epic Capsule regardless of your win/loss totals. And if you have Amazon Prime, you can get free Epic Wild Cards by linking your account.
    Between my vault and finishing up an Ionia Champion Capsule reward, I've picked up 3 champions in the last 24 hours: third copies of Tryndamere and Zed, and my first copy of Lulu. Not terribly excited about Tryndamere or Zed, but I won't mind them converting to shards. Lulu looks like she could be a lot of fun; gonna have to give a few builds a try.

I used my wildcard to get a second copy of Karma, so the Karma/Lux deck has 2 of each now. Should be more consistent. I had a really excellent back-and-forth with a Zoe/Fiona deck the other day where we were both repeatedly driven down to low single-digits, only to scrape back up to near 20 with healing spells and Lifesteal units. I won it, in the end, but I fell like a couple more misplays on my part, or avoided mistakes on theirs, could have tipped it. Exactly the kind of game you hope to have.

You can’t convert cards to shards. There is duplicate protection on Epics and Champs though, so you’ll never get more than you need.

Tryndamere and Zed are great Champions to get and can see more play than other Champions. Nice if/when you want to try their archetypes out.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Zed and a Wild Card? Nice! The easiest way to get more Epics is to play Expeditions. You’re guaranteed an Epic Capsule regardless of your win/loss totals. And if you have Amazon Prime, you can get free Epic Wild Cards by linking your account.

You can’t convert cards to shards. There is duplicate protection on Epics and Champs though, so you’ll never get more than you need.

Tryndamere and Zed are great Champions to get and can see more play than other Champions. Nice if/when you want to try their archetypes out.
    Just to be sure I'm following: if I have three Tryndameres, no more Tryndameres will appear when I earn a champion, instead of having a Tryndamere pop up and then convert into some shards? It'll just always pick a different champion? Like I keep getting copies of lower-rarity cards I already have, and it says "Extra copy!" and gives me some amount of shards.

Tryndamere and Zed are definitely good cards to have around, it's true. They're not as exciting (to me, anyway) as some, but they fit a lot of the time even in a deck that's not built around them.

Mongrel Idiot on

Just to be sure I'm following: if I have three Tryndameres, no more Tryndameres will appear when I earn a champion, instead of having a Tryndamere pop up and then convert into some shards? It'll just always pick a different champion? Like I keep getting copies of lower-rarity cards I already have, and it says "Extra copy!" and gives me some amount of shards.

Tryndamere and Zed are definitely good cards to have around, it's true. They're not as exciting (to me, anyway) as some, but they fit a lot of the time even in a deck that's not built around them.

Yup! No more Tryndameres for you. Even better, the game will automatically give you a Champion from a different region if you’ve unlocked one on a region road that you have all the Champions on.

For example: you acquired/crafted all the Ionia Champions and unlock a Champion Capsule on the Ionia Region track. The Champion you get will be a non-Ionia one you don’t have.

Only Commons and Rares will give you the “extra copy” auto-Shard conversion. Epics and Champions only do that once you’ve acquired them all. At that point you don’t really care. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited January 2021
    Feel free to craft what you want/need for your decks. You can always get more crafting materials.

Bedlam on
    Woo hit plat with my zoe Diana deck. It was down to the wire against a turbo aggro spider deck where I survived at 1 health twice but he couldn't find a burn spell. Almost punted though when I hushed a spider to lose fearsome to block but I should have hushed elise who was giving her aura...

The one thing I learned about the deck is that zoe and Diana are complete distractions. It's rare that either of them take over a game or do anything more meaningful than eat removal. Most of the wins come from eclipse dragons and the big celestial units.

edited January 2021
    All the way to plat and still no deck code :rotate:

Also Ive only played Zoe in expedition but the threat of her level up is enough to make the opponent play sub-optimally. Had someone play a 1 point thermogenic beam to kill mine off. :rotate:

Bedlam on
    CIAQUAYJBERTQSKMKRKVMYDEAIAQCBIZAQBQSAQNDQ4QA

There lol.

Bedlam wrote: »
    All the way to plat and still no deck code :rotate:

Also Ive only played Zoe in expedition but the threat of her level up is enough to make the opponent play sub-optimally. Had someone play a 1 point thermogenic beam to kill mine off. :rotate:

Thermo for Zoe isn’t necessary a bad thing.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    yea thermo for zoe is fine in a lot of decks - most zoe decks aren't packing some high health target they typically need to save it for

PSN SeGaTai
    Went 3-1 in the co-op lab. The loss was my first game when Darius showed up and clobbered us for 10. Very other game was Draven, which was much more manageable.

Some RNG stuff, but overall a fun first attempt. Would love to see a full-fledged PvP mode one day.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    yea thermo for zoe is fine in a lot of decks - most zoe decks aren't packing some high health target they typically need to save it for

my deck specifically has high health targets they need to save for lol.

Sounds like Zoe is a misdirection then. Champions are usually a win condition, so I can get using Thermo on her.

My favorite misdirection deck was a Fearsome deck that ran a single Anivia. Because it looked like a Zombie Anivia Control deck, the opponent will mulligan away AoE spells. They end up getting overrun by Fearsomes and Mistwraiths. Lol

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Zoe is rarely played as a win condition afaik. Mostly she's a good unit for her price that the enemy must remove or she will eventually become a win condition. Eating a thermo to stop her from leveling is exactly what she's for.

Expeditions this week: 7, 5, 7. Yilias was with me for the first one, and fell asleep somewhere around game 2 of the second, but I got the last 7 win myself! Raking in all those sweet sweet shards (I'm up to about 17k now?). I'm always happy to have Yilias coach me but I'm glad I'm starting to get the hang of this game mode myself :)

Narwhal#1834
    Expeditions this week: 7, 5, 7. Yilias was with me for the first one, and fell asleep somewhere around game 2 of the second, but I got the last 7 win myself! Raking in all those sweet sweet shards (I'm up to about 17k now?). I'm always happy to have Yilias coach me but I'm glad I'm starting to get the hang of this game mode myself :)

Yeah, Expeditions are a fun change of pace to Ranked. It fun creating decks in environments where decks aren't optimized.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page