As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    VGL-1: 3xERPPC (either stagger 2+1, or you can eat the ghost heat for alpha striking at zero heat scale).

VGL-2: 1xUAC/10, 2xUAC/5. 40 pt double tap is nothing to sneeze at, especially at this weight

VGL-3: 3xATM-12 or 3xATM-9. Both work well with the ATM-9 having more sustain but the 12s have an insane alpha strike.

VGL-4: no jump jets, but it can run 2xLPL, 5xERML easily. considered a generally weak variant

VGL-A: 4xASRM-6, LB-20X (You normally only see this kind of firepower on high end heavies or assaults).

VGL-RI: considered the worst VGL, avoid.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    What's being sacrificed on the A to let it carry an LBX20?

• Options
    edited January 2021
    it drops down to a 255XL and shaves armor off the head.

Edit: https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#de05cafa_VGL-A

Nobody on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Damn that's a big drop from a 330. Or in other words 20kph, that's significant.

• Options
    Yeah but it doesn’t want to be super fast, just fast enough to get in close to something chunky that it can alpha into.

• Options
    Speed is my favorite trait in a mech. 64kph is like my bottom line on what I'm willing to entertain in movement speed but I prefer 80 and above.

• Options
    You could get away with dropping to an LB-10 and upping the engine to 285 which would get you 83.9 kph

• Options
    I just experienced the epitome of 'no situational awareness' from my team.

I was in my Kit Fox and I was trapped behind a rock tall enough to protect me from a Blood Asp that was set on getting rid of me. I was calling to my team for help because the Asp's pilot had his back turned directly to them. For like 30 seconds. And they didn't do SHIT, they could SEE him. It wasn't until I took the time to type it in all-caps (and took a risky shot to the fucking face from the Blood Asp) that they finally opened fire on it.

I dunno how I survived that match with all the stupid shit that happened but oh my god. I had him TAG'd to remove his ECM, called him out when targeted with the in-game voice emote and everything.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    They might have had their own problems. Like there was a Crab on the other side that needed to be shot at by 11 people.

• Options
    I could see them past the guy I was looking at. They weren't on the front line; it was three of them taking snipe shots at the main battle happening behind me (but I was down a cliff and not in danger from it). The Blood Asp was isolated from their team.

Anyway the next match on my Kit Fox went way better. I'm glad I slapped a TAG laser on it instead of another heavy medium. It's a drop in power but that's not what this mech is about. And even then I got 4 killing blows.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Oddly I don't pay attention to the "Help Me" ping since too many people use it as a joke. Luckily these days I seem to see people using it more as an alert so I tend to pay a bit more attention. Then again I'm usually in a light so I'm too busy trying to stay alive and take cheap shots at people. Hahahaha.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Got angry, sold my Summoner, bought a new different Summoner.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Is that the MWO version of burning a poorly rolling die in front of the rest of them, to teach them a lesson?

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    tnr43s3a3jcx.jpg

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »
    tnr43s3a3jcx.jpg
    That's not the only name I've seen like that lately and it's starting to freak me out.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I appreciate the dedication to the brand

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I'm having bad luck in my Orion today and it's starting to make me paranoid. I dropped some heat sink weight to make room for some lasers since heat was never a problem on it, and now I am getting SPANKED in fights. Not because I'm reaching the heat threshold so it logically isn't the lasers' fault. Like I said - paranoid.

Or superstitious might be the more appropriate term. I am a Clanner afterall.

• Options
    Okay I'm feeling better about my Orion's new layout.

Remember that thing I mentioned about how funny it is to catch some twerpy light around a corner and alpha them to death? I did it three times in a match just now.

Y5tzGwQ.png

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    tnr43s3a3jcx.jpg
    That's not the only name I've seen like that lately and it's starting to freak me out.
    Just spotted them BUT THEY'RE IN A DRAGON WTF

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    tnr43s3a3jcx.jpg

That's similar to a heavy Crab in loadout, right?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    tnr43s3a3jcx.jpg

THE CRAB PEOPLE ARE IN DISGUISE

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    My friends, let me tell you about Carcinisation:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Carcinisation (or carcinization) is an example of convergent evolution in which a crustacean evolves into a crab-like form from a non-crab-like form. The term was introduced into evolutionary biology by L. A. Borradaile, who described it as "one of the many attempts of Nature to evolve a crab".[1] Most carcinised crustaceans belong to the order Anomura.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    tnr43s3a3jcx.jpg

Since it's a small playerbase these days, it is no surprise I saw them a few times too. Just an awesome name.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Sup guys I logged in to check out mechs to buy. I got 13mill cbills and someone mentioned I should grab a Warhammer in the holiday hangout mech thread, but I forgot which designation I should grab.

I wanted a good mech for a casual who isn't really planning to go super deep and just wants to be able to do a lot of stuff.

Warhammer was suggested as a good mech for swapping around loadouts to have fun with. I just gotta know which variant to buy to do that.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Sup guys I logged in to check out mechs to buy. I got 13mill cbills and someone mentioned I should grab a Warhammer in the holiday hangout mech thread, but I forgot which designation I should grab.

I wanted a good mech for a casual who isn't really planning to go super deep and just wants to be able to do a lot of stuff.

Warhammer was suggested as a good mech for swapping around loadouts to have fun with. I just gotta know which variant to buy to do that.

WHM-6R

It can do ballistics, it can do energy weapon, it has a missile hard point if you want to play with one of those.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Nobody wrote: »

WHM-6R

It can do ballistics, it can do energy weapon, it has a missile hard point if you want to play with one of those.

Thanks I snagged one. Now I dunno how to fit it. :) Was gonna try lasers first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z20rQDqjJsk

Thinking of following this build. It looks easy to play.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    One of my favorite builds: Gausshammer

Training wheels version: LFE Gausshammer

It's absolutely terrifying to play, but I had a hell of a win rate in it because once you get the playstyle down, it punches well above its weight.
    Charge up the Gauss while lasers are firing, you'll want to release the Gauss before the laserburn ends. The goal is to put as much of the damage as possible into the same component. Some people will put everything on the same firing group for this purpose.

The hazard with the XL build is that losing a side torso means you go boom, and Gauss like to go boom once the reds start chewing past your armor. your goal is to splash as much incoming damage as possible and only peek long enough to get the Gauss and as much laser burn out as possible.

Solid brawler: LB-10X with lasers

Solid midrange: UAC/10s

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Splash?

I assume that means moving torso so shots go across body and hit sides/arms? I've figured that out based on watching videos.

It's a weird thing to get used to.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Splash?

I assume that means moving torso so shots go across body and hit sides/arms? I've figured that out based on watching videos.

Yep, that's usually referred to as splashing the damage and works against all lasers, AC2 spam, Clan UACs, Clan ACs, Clan LRMs, IS MRMs, and both types of RACs. Baradul and TTB do show that off quite a bit. You'd be surprised to find out just how many people just facetank the damage and let you burn whatever component.

• Options
    Won my second match! I died but I did a ton of damage and took a ton. We won by timeout.

z4g4ql62nij2.jpg

• Options
    Wow no team damage done, that's a true accomplishment.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Gauss builds are so much fun to play!

I mean... until you try to play pretty much anything else

But still, incredibly fun!

• Options
    Do any weapons deal splash damage? Not in the "well, you hit the side torso, but it also deals damage to the arm" sense, but the "you hit near someone and they also take damage" sense?

• Options
    Wow no team damage done, that's a true accomplishment.

I did bump into a couple of people in an awkward sort of way.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Do any weapons deal splash damage? Not in the "well, you hit the side torso, but it also deals damage to the arm" sense, but the "you hit near someone and they also take damage" sense?

I think PPCs do but tbh it's been so long since I delved into the damage bullshittery of MWO that I have no idea

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    There are no splash damage weapons save artillery/air strikes.

Clan ERPPCs (and only Clan ERPPCs), deal 10 damage to the hit component, then 2.5 damage to the neighboring two components, for a total of 15. This was done to make Clan ERPPCs not completely bullshit compared to IS ones, which deal only 10 damage. The IS Heavy PPC does 15 damage to a single component.

• Options
    So there's no splash on missile impact or ballistic weapons, only direct hits count?

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Yup. Close only counts with horseshoes, hand grenades, and artillery shells.

This ain't Heavy Gear, so you don't get mech sized hand grenades.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Is ghost heat still a thing in this game? If so, is there still a chart with the ghost heat weapon group rules?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Is ghost heat still a thing in this game? If so, is there still a chart with the ghost heat weapon group rules?

https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment#weapon_heatscale

Is still accurate as far as I know