As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hades] Supergiant Roguelite. Out now! (Switch/Steam/Epic)

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The magnetic fists run was going so well until goddamn armored giant rats. Fuck I hate those things. I feel like the final, larger chamber at the end of "normal" satyr tunnels is often harder than the miniboss tunnels. Like, 4 waves of armored satyrs, giant rats, and snakestones, plus poison gas and flying sawblades, really?

Yeah, the Temple seems to be explicitly designed as a boon/buff check to counter builds that just do straight single-target DPS. You will never get past the tiny rat spawns or the mixed armored mob spawns without a good core of AOE/multi-mob damage abilities, even if you can nearly one-shot the final boss. The tight corridors and traps/ranged mobs are there to prevent you from kiting indefinitely. Up to that point, you can probably get through a run by playing slow and running away, but once you hit the Temple it's put-up or shut-up time.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Lord the art style in this game just continues to give me the vapors.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    The magnetic fists run was going so well until goddamn armored giant rats. Fuck I hate those things. I feel like the final, larger chamber at the end of "normal" satyr tunnels is often harder than the miniboss tunnels. Like, 4 waves of armored satyrs, giant rats, and snakestones, plus poison gas and flying sawblades, really?

Yeah, the Temple seems to be explicitly designed as a boon/buff check to counter builds that just do straight single-target DPS. You will never get past the tiny rat spawns or the mixed armored mob spawns without a good core of AOE/multi-mob damage abilities, even if you can nearly one-shot the final boss. The tight corridors and traps/ranged mobs are there to prevent you from kiting indefinitely. Up to that point, you can probably get through a run by playing slow and running away, but once you hit the Temple it's put-up or shut-up time.

I feel this deeply. Like, I've ALWAYS gone through each and every one of those Styx tunnels, but really should take Zagreus' advice. Sometimes he goes 'hmmmm, shall I keep going'? No, my dude, we should go fight dad on the front lawn instead, let's just go.

Also these poison huffing assholes just took two death defies off me in 3 chambers ZEUS BE DAMNED, and it's honestly because their poison shoot animation is so hard to see on the Switch.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular

I feel this deeply. Like, I've ALWAYS gone through each and every one of those Styx tunnels, but really should take Zagreus' advice. Sometimes he goes 'hmmmm, shall I keep going'? No, my dude, we should go fight dad on the front lawn instead, let's just go.

Also these poison huffing assholes just took two death defies off me in 3 chambers ZEUS BE DAMNED, and it's honestly because their poison shoot animation is so hard to see on the Switch.

They have a really solid audio queue, though, which sounds like they're hocking up a loogie; I use the audio queue over the visual tell because the screen gets messy sometimes, but I always hear that goddamn sound. And then I just immediately dash away when I do.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Woah, who here plays Warframe in addition to Hades?

Because SpaceMom went ahead and cosplayed... SpaceMom

https://www.reddit.com/r/HadesTheGame/comments/ktxasm/night_mom_nyx_cosplay/

(Rebecca Ford, voice/face of The Lotus, known fondly to Warframe players as SpaceMom, cosplaying Nyx, Mother of Night from Hades)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Woah, who here plays Warframe in addition to Hades?

Because SpaceMom went ahead and cosplayed... SpaceMom

https://www.reddit.com/r/HadesTheGame/comments/ktxasm/night_mom_nyx_cosplay/

(Rebecca Ford, voice/face of The Lotus, known fondly to Warframe players as SpaceMom, cosplaying Nyx, Mother of Night from Hades)

Rebecca clearly has A Brand.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Tight Deadline is so hard for me because I absolutely must smash every pot in the chamber after the fight is over.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    Hmmm. I'm at the doorstep of Styx, with almost full health, all my DDs, and a pretty good blitz-disc build. Do I go for the "Amuse Chaos" prophecy? I think yes.

Incidentally, blitz disc makes the Theseus fight a breeze. Put stackable damage on Special, fling the disc out into the middle, then just run laps around the arena.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hmmm. I'm at the doorstep of Styx, with almost full health, all my DDs, and a pretty good blitz-disc build. Do I go for the "Amuse Chaos" prophecy? I think yes.

Incidentally, blitz disc makes the Theseus fight a breeze. Put stackable damage on Special, fling the disc out into the middle, then just run laps around the arena.

Blitz disc with Zeus build is ridiculous.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Started this a couple weeks ago, been having a good time.

That Theseus + Minotaur fight is a real wall. Reached it once with full health (~225) and 2 Death Defiance, and still the most I was able to do was eliminate Asterius and get Theseus a little below half.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

That Theseus + Minotaur fight is a real wall. Reached it once with full health (~225) and 2 Death Defiance, and still the most I was able to do was eliminate Asterius and get Theseus a little below half.

That fight is the biggest hurdle in the game. You'll need to learn the next lair and boss of course but the duo boss has the most cues you have to learn while under pressure and Theseus always has some RNG built into the fight.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    One tip for the Duo is to use those pillars to break line of sight with Theseus as much as you can so you don't take as many spears.

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular

That fight is the biggest hurdle in the game. You'll need to learn the next lair and boss of course but the duo boss has the most cues you have to learn while under pressure and Theseus always has some RNG built into the fight.

One of the best tips I heard for this is to try and have a good Call before hitting this fight. If you do, save it -- hard focus on damaging Asterius and just dodging Theseus. He's much easier to deal with by himself. Once you get him to half health and trigger his own Call, use yours on him to knock him as low as possible. Basically you want to spend as little time in that phase as you can.

edited January 2021
    ARRGH

I have now maxed out the relationship meters for everyone EXCEPT ACHILLIES AND PATROCLUS (And Hypnos, but Hypnos doesn't count because iirc he's always the last, since literally every SINGLE other possible conversation between him, Thanatos, and Nyx have to be complete for him to trigger)

AND PATROCLUS JUST ISN'T SHOWING UP ON ANY OF MY RUNS (that, and because I have been trying to switch to using the controller instead of KBM, I'm dying A LOT because I'm not used to the controller)

On the controller vs KBM note, something I'm finding -- for me, weapons that rely mostly on melee, flailing around, and dashing like crazy (Sword, Fists) are easier on the controller. Weapons that require any kind of precision or aiming (gun, bow, shield, spear) are way easier with KBM, because I can put my mouse directly on whatever I'm trying to attack. I also dash more precisely, but that's almost certainly because I just haven't done much console gaming in my life. But yeah, even with auto-aim, the controller is so much harder to use.

A great example? The Hidden Aspect of the Adamant Rail. With KBM, the Special bombs go literally wherever I put my mouse. I can put them right next to me, or land them precisely between two objects on the field (sometimes they do bounce). With the controller, they seem to have just a fixed distance they land away from me, and it's vaguely in whatever direction I'm facing.

Maybe it's also in part because I have a very expensive fancy mouse for high precision for graphic design work, and I bought a cheap-ass psudo SNES Chinese controller for $30. I dunno.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Hold the fire button when launching bombs. It brings up a targeting circle.

Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Hold the fire button when launching bombs. It brings up a targeting circle.

That is good to know! I would still say that the KBM version where you don't need to hold down anything, it's "the bomb fires at where your mouse is" is nicer.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I finally tested out the Hera bow and it is fun as hell. I went with Ares cast and got his legendary, a bunch of the cast boosts, and the Artemis duo. Shooting the bow just shy of enemies meant that the accumulated bladerifts just shredded them. I sadly didn't get any chaos boons to increase the amount of bloodstones I had, but it was still a great time.

Yeah I've been trying to get Achilles and Patroclus to kiss basically forever, and I can't get the dialogue sequence to trigger. And I don't always see Patroclus in Elysium either, so it's slow going. Some of the Olympians are a pain in the ass to max out as well.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    I also feel like if you're running Tight Deadline, the satyr sack shouldn't be in the last fucking tunnel you check. Like the game should take that into account. Come on now.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    I also feel like if you're running Tight Deadline, the satyr sack shouldn't be in the last fucking tunnel you check. Like the game should take that into account. Come on now.

RNG giveeth and RNG taketh

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Just be better at choosing!

I was running Hera bow with Trippy Shot and the Dio/Demeter boon that turns each cast into a fog/chill bomb, so each loaded Attack was doing massive damage, enough to one-shot most non-boss enemies. I was literally one shot away from slaying the final boss when I got killed by the clock. It was infurrrriating. Super fun build, though!

y59kydgzuja4.png
    Also how do you know it doesn't take it into account and move it til you search them all :D

(actually that wouldn't be out of place as a Pact of Punishment item)

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I was running Hera bow with Trippy Shot and the Dio/Demeter boon that turns each cast into a fog/chill bomb, so each loaded Attack was doing massive damage, enough to one-shot most non-boss enemies. I was literally one shot away from slaying the final boss when I got killed by the clock. It was infurrrriating. Super fun build, though!

Hm, I thought there was some leeway with the clock - I could have sworn that I'd finished a boss room with 0 seconds left yet was still allowed to progress to the next stage. Either I was mistaken or Hades doesn't get the same allowance.

edited January 2021
    Burnage wrote: »

Hm, I thought there was some leeway with the clock - I could have sworn that I'd finished a boss room with 0 seconds left yet was still allowed to progress to the next stage. Either I was mistaken or Hades doesn't get the same allowance.

At 0 on the clock you start taking 5 damage every second (like Satyr poison) so if you're at low health it's an automatic "nah," but if you're at high health and/or have Death Defiance left you can sometimes squeeze out a victory.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Unlocked the magnetic gauntlets, got past Elysium for the first time. Had the final boss down to about quarter health in his second phase before biting it, too!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    edited January 2021
    Achilles Narrative
    I've also had problems trying to get Achilles and Patroclus back together, but I think it's because Achilles is involved in so many other dialogue trees so you have to clear them.

MegaMan001 on
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Spoiler tags, please.

MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I've also had problems trying to get Achilles and Patroclus back together, but I think it's because Achilles is involved in so many other dialogue trees so you have to clear them.

Yeah basically. This is the same reason that it takes F O R E V E R to get Hypnos, because that involves iirc Thanatos, Nyx, AND Hypnos to ALL have clear dialogue trees to trigger, so his meter tends to always be last. If you died to something new, you can't do it; Nyx probably has more dialogue than anyone else in the dang game; etc etc.

I'm super frustrated because I actually think I *have* cleared all of Achilles' dialogue tree (or at least, he no longer has a ! over his head when I get back to the House), but Pat just keeps not showing up in Elysium. It's frustrating.

God damn, the hidden aspect for the Fists is a BEAST. I went with an Ares/Athena combo and straight up chewed through the final boss, beat my previous best clear time by 9 whole minutes.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    Beat the final boss on my fourth attempt. Really it was mostly a function of getting lucky and finding Cerberus's treat early.

Damn, on my fourth attempt I was still getting killed by random mooks in Tartarus. I didn't even make it to Asphodel until attempt #12.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    Damn, on my fourth attempt I was still getting killed by random mooks in Tartarus. I didn't even make it to Asphodel until attempt #12.

I meant my fourth attempt at that boss, of course.

I meant my fourth attempt at that boss, of course.

Haha, I probably should have assumed as much, but I've heard of people accomplishing some pretty crazy things in this game!

I'm at 103 runs and finally got the epilogue, yayyyyyy! I still want to unlock the hidden Rail aspect and give that a whirl, but after that I think I'm ready to call it done. Cranking up the Heat to double digits is not for me.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    I just unlocked the hidden rail aspect and it's pretty fun. I went with a Demeter attack build with it and everything was just stacking chill and exploding all over the place. It was great. I still need to unlock the hidden Bow aspect, and am still working towards raising affinity with the olympians for the epilogue.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So I successfully escaped yet am still missing the very last keepsake. Did I miss something or am I still more or less on track?

Also this game fuckin rocks.

Nobeard on
    Nobeard wrote: »
    So I successfully escaped yet am still missing the very last keepsake. Did I miss something or am I still more or less on track?

Also this game fuckin rocks.

You're not missing anything, there's a keepsake you can only get after the credits.

There's one Olympian god you don't meet until after reaching the final boss at least once, and then I think two keepsakes you can't unlock until after credits.
    Persephone and Hades? Persephone's keepsake is great and I haven't gotten Hades' yet.

y59kydgzuja4.png