As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Richard wrote: »
    Hello Board Game thread,

My girlfriend gave me Pandemic Season 0 for my birthday. We just finished Season 1 during the holidays. Should we get Season 2 before playing 0 or it doesn't matter?

Season 2 was kinda bad, I wouldn't worry about skipping it.

Ah_Pook on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Hello Board Game thread,

My girlfriend gave me Pandemic Season 0 for my birthday. We just finished Season 1 during the holidays. Should we get Season 2 before playing 0 or it doesn't matter?

Conversely, I enjoyed the story of S2 something fierce, and the gameplay is a very unique twist on the pandemic game loop. I'd agree it doesn't matter though.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Visskar wrote: »
    Very nice! When you start organizing all of your cards, I'm personally fond of going the artist box / broken token route. I've got two of these boxes now.

Nah, I'm a baggie man.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    ZMan officially says it doesn't matter. The only caveat is don't start with 2. I would say 2 must come after 1, but 0 can be played at any point.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    ZMan officially says it doesn't matter. The only caveat is don't start with 2. I would say 2 must come after 1, but 0 can be played at any point.
    I wouldn't play 0 until you've played 1, as it spoils one of the big twists in Pandemic Legacy Season 1. You could go Pandemic Legacy Season 1 > 2 > 0 or 1 > 0 > 2, as there are few (if any... I can't think of any) references between 0 and 2.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Athenor wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Hello Board Game thread,

Conversely, I enjoyed the story of S2 something fierce, and the gameplay is a very unique twist on the pandemic game loop. I'd agree it doesn't matter though.
    I think I liked Season 2 more than I liked Season 1 or 0 (Season 2 feels the least like base Pandemic, and the novelty is what makes me think fondly of it... that, and two specific (spoiler) mechanics that the other two games don't have), but all of them have a fun story and interesting mechanics that are probably the best implementation of the Legacy mechanic out there.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I keep wanting to get one of those artist boxes for arkham horror but also I refuse to give hobby lobby money and if I robbed hobby lobby the way they robbed Iraqi museums in a bid to kickstart Armageddon, i'd face consequences unlike them.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I wouldn't play 0 until you've played 1, as it spoils one of the big twists in Pandemic Legacy Season 1. You could go Pandemic Legacy Season 1 > 2 > 0 or 1 > 0 > 2, as there are few (if any... I can't think of any) references between 0 and 2.

Ok. I haven't played 0 yet so I have no personal knowledge of what's in it in regards to the story. I have played 1 and 2. Friend of mine picked up 0 though, so I'm sure we'll get it to the table soon.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited January 2021
    I keep wanting to get one of those artist boxes for arkham horror but also I refuse to give hobby lobby money and if I robbed hobby lobby the way they robbed Iraqi museums in a bid to kickstart Armageddon, i'd face consequences unlike them.

yikes what did hobby lobby do now?

edit: jesus, just read wikipedia. this company is 100% asshole, holy SHIT

Magic Pink on
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

yikes what did hobby lobby do now?

edit: jesus, just read wikipedia. this company is 100% asshole, holy SHIT

This is correct.

Please don't shop at Hobby Lobby. Just don't. There are so many better, more deserving craft stores (chains and Mom&Pop) than Hobby Lobby.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • taoofshinseitaoofshinsei Registered User regular
    For the Spirit Island fans on here who may have missed it elsewhere, a couple days ago some official ruling changes and one big errata were posted.

Link to the official Spirit Island FAQ site with all the new changes.

The biggest change is that, during set up (and only during set up), one more blight token is added to the blight card.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    For the Spirit Island fans on here who may have missed it elsewhere, a couple days ago some official ruling changes and one big errata were posted.

The biggest change is that, during set up (and only during set up), one more blight token is added to the blight card.

That should make one-spirit solo games actually possible.

• Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

I haven't played any of the Very High complexity spirits yet, but trying to read through some of these rules clarifications that would apply to those spirits make me think I never will.

Dark White on
    jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Dark White wrote: »

I haven't played any of the Very High complexity spirits yet, but trying to read through some of these rules clarifications that would apply to those spirits make me think I never will.

TBF most of those are corner-cases but yeah a few of them can be mind-bending.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Dark White wrote: »

TBF most of those are corner-cases but yeah a few of them can be mind-bending.

Fractured Days Split the Sky is still the only spirit with which I've accidentally lost a game.

We were in bad shape anyway and Pour Time Sideways ended up screwing us rather than helping, which it looked like it'd do.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I rather wonder how "pouring time sideways" could ever help anybody, really? :P

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

It's definitely in the running for most-technical default power. You skip most actions on one board section in exchange for most of the do-stuff phases happening twice in another.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Hasbro is going to make a TV show about Risk.

This sounds so fucking stupid.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Hasbro is going to make a TV show about Risk.

This sounds so fucking stupid.

https://youtu.be/ut6msbYeRiQ

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

It's definitely in the running for most-technical default power. You skip most actions on one board section in exchange for most of the do-stuff phases happening twice in another.

The only time I played Fractured Days I made it my business to get rid of as many of its base powers as I could. No thank you.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

The only time I played Fractured Days I made it my business to get rid of as many of its base powers as I could. No thank you.

It felt like I was starting to crack the code that game, pre-mishap. I can't recall if we blew the execution of other powers or if it was something in the event phase that took the plan from reasonable to "Oh, uh... Whoops." territory, but there are very few other powers that can backfire that spectacularly in the game at all.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hey, folks - I need a suggestion, for a game like Risk, but "good," and available in Tabletop Simulator.

(I'm showing my Cub Scouts, who are working on a game design badge, how similar themes / mechanics can evolve over time.)

I'm just completely drawing a blank.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I think Small World would fit the bill. It depends on if you mean officially purchasable on TTS or available in the workshop. At least I really enjoy Small World as long as it isn't a 3 player game. The game rules specifically call out 3 player being a bad idea though so I give it a pass on that.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Is Root on TTS? I might call that an evolution from Risk.

• Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    Spheres of Influence: Struggle for Global Supremacy is available in the TTS workshop, and pretty much exactly meets the definition of 'like Risk but good'

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    For Area Control with combat my first thoughts were Small World or Kemet/Cyclades/Inis for a step up in complexity.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yesssss... Small World! Perfect! Thanks, all!

(I'll look at the others, too, but I've played Small World.)

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Is Root on TTS? I might call that an evolution from Risk.

Root has a Steam and Mobile version with great production value.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited January 2021
    Nexus Ops is my go to "like risk but better", haven't tried it on TTS though. Risk Europe is also a good answer.

Ah_Pook on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    The best answer is "Risk: Legacy" but it's also maybe not as helpful as desired. :P

• Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    I'd probably include Tactics and Avalon Hill in a discussion about Root's lineage, but maybe not for Cub Scouts :)

Agree Small World is probably the best bet in this list (it's popular, lots of expansions and the recent Warcraft themed release). I'll actually be playing SoI on TTS this weekend myself, because I usually have to figure out what works for 6+ people. There's no question about it directly lifting Risk's design, per the pic below. Unfortunately seems like the publisher hasn't done a print run recently.
    wa3la8az48eg.jpg

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The best answer is "Risk: Legacy" but it's also maybe not as helpful as desired. :P

Still haven't decided if I want to toss my copy. Haven't touched it in forever, and I have bad memories associated with it -- I dunno if a new playgroup could finish the last 3-4 games and turn that board around.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    hey i'll stop spamming about my new twitch streaming hobby after this, but heres a VOD of me soloing Faiyum from last night. I think the setup is looking pretty good at this point!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oleDnQ3aaT0

its a fun thing to do, and its certainly helping me play games more consistently atm. i tend to be lazy in the evening and just watch stuff or play video games instead of going and setting up a solo board game yknow. so yea, fun stuff. feel free to come hang out friday evening, or whenever :)

more nugget

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Don’t stop reminding us of your twitch stream.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited January 2021
    watching a live stream back and noticing rules mistakes like 0_0 nothing hugely game altering, just detail stuff that i miss playing quickly trying to keep a stream going. presumably i'll get better at that multitasking heh.

edit: shorted myself 50 points at the end by forgetting to mark when i looped the score track, so i did much better than i said i did lol

Ah_Pook on
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Oh, I meant to mention in here that I made a few board game acquisitions over Christmas... I was researching how to fill in some game-gaps by grabbing options none of our crew had played, that had the kinds of mechanics we enjoy.
    Ended up with Root, Clank, and Rococo (deluxe).

We’ve been comparatively lucky with Covid restrictions, managed to try them all at max players a few times. I’ve gotten used to Lysol wiping meeples.
    Rococo is dang pretty and might be our favourite of the bunch, accessable and the theme was unique enough to draw in some fresh faces to the table.
    I was the one explaining the rules, and was hustling as hard as I could to get endgame Prestige points. Yet I barely edged out the lead over the gal who was just buying the patterns to dresses that were the most diverse, and refused to put two similarly dressed patrons beside each other at the grand ball. :D

I also made a historically accurate 1700s playlist to go with it. Maybe that’s normal, Im new to being a Board Game Guy.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7YK0lyN

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
    Witchsight wrote: »

I also made a historically accurate 1700s playlist to go with it. Maybe that’s normal, Im new to being a Board Game Guy.

Welcome..... to Unbearable Nerd Island.

I got my fancy ROOT plastic pieces and my stars and garters they are absolutely wonderful.