As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Deliverable second hand bananas are never going to look good because bananas don’t store well. Once you add a second supply chain onto the already very tight schedule bananas have they’re really shit. And you have the storage requirements (the whole box is probably assembled then fridged) which break the banana down even faster.

Bananas are a garbage fruit.

(Except in banana bread form.)

I will also accept dried. But the texture of a plain banana bothers me, it needs to be processed somehow.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    We recently started watching Escape to the Country since we found out while mindlessly flipping through channels the other day. While its ...people are just as strange as our American 'let's buy an expensive house shows' (this retired school teacher is looking for a quiet place along the Welsh border. Her maximum price is £500,000.) we have enjoyed it due to the genuinely enjoyable idyllic homes and gardens.

But it only took me about 10 minutes of the first episode to begin assuming that every single one of these boomers were brexiters and so now I hate them while judging the overpriced houses. Good fun.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Deliverable second hand bananas are never going to look good because bananas don’t store well. Once you add a second supply chain onto the already very tight schedule bananas have they’re really shit. And you have the storage requirements (the whole box is probably assembled then fridged) which break the banana down even faster.

This is a good list of reasons why bananas were a poor choice to go in this box.

Like so many decisions the government makes it just feels like they've been made by an alien with a very limited understanding of human culture or by a poorly optimised algorithm. If a human being had been involved in the decision making process that went into constructing this food package, at some point they would have said "you know that a loaf of bread, a tin of beans, two carrots and a couple of spuds doesn't actually make any meals right?".

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable
    Einzel wrote: »
    We recently started watching Escape to the Country since we found out while mindlessly flipping through channels the other day. While its ...people are just as strange as our American 'let's buy an expensive house shows' (this retired school teacher is looking for a quiet place along the Welsh border. Her maximum price is £500,000.) we have enjoyed it due to the genuinely enjoyable idyllic homes and gardens.

But it only took me about 10 minutes of the first episode to begin assuming that every single one of these boomers were brexiters and so now I hate them while judging the overpriced houses. Good fun.

I have just moved to a nice house in the idyllic countryside with my entire family and we all voted to remain so not necessarily

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

I have just moved to a nice house in the idyllic countryside with my entire family and we all voted to remain so not necessarily

My wife and I were looking at nice houses in North Wales now I can full-time remote, I can assure you that we are not brexiteers.

Also due to the house inflation and reasonably good teacher pension 500k isn't unreasonable for someone from the southeast who bought in the 90s

Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

My family are the same, not a single brxiteer.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Bananas are a perfectly acceptable source of calories for children, but they are by far the worst fruit in terms of health due to their very low water content, low fiber, and high starch levels. They are to other fruits what a peeled white potato is to other vegetables. Of course, it doesn't even have the stability advantages that a potato does.

Regardless, my point was mainly that even if you were being a complete corrupt idiot and stealing money intended to buy food for children at least throw in more apples and replace those sad bulk bin carrots with some dried pasta and canned sauce. A tin of tuna will run you like a pound from Tesco if you buy three. 50 Pence of pasta, 50 Pence of pasta sauce and half a can of tuna is an actual meal.

You can give the kids 10 quid worth of tuna, 10 apples, 2 packs of pasta, 2 pots of pasta sauce, 1 pound worth of cheese and still steal 15 pounds from each one of them every week! And thats at consumer grocery store prices.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I hate TV shows about wealthy people buying houses but also I don't necessarily assume that they're all brexiteers

My parents are probably exactly the range bracket for that and they are madly pro-EU

my grandparents, however, in their 70s? they are not

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2021
    500k for a standalone house with garden sounds well reasonable to me, mentally adjusting for when I lived in the UK.

(Fwiw US house prices are so widely variable that if you're watching from there there's almost no comparison to be had. But even quite rural areas of the UK are gonna be priced closer to like, Boston suburbs than rural Wyoming or whatever).

tynic on
    depends where you are, for sure, but yeah in the south east that's not unreasonable

In, say, Sheffield, you could get a five bedroom semi-detached with a big garden and a drive in a nice area for 350K

But Sheffield is cheap as chips (which is why I live here, that and it's where all my friends, family and stuff is)

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Casual wrote: »

This is a good list of reasons why bananas were a poor choice to go in this box.

Like so many decisions the government makes it just feels like they've been made by an alien with a very limited understanding of human culture or by a poorly optimised algorithm. If a human being had been involved in the decision making process that went into constructing this food package, at some point they would have said "you know that a loaf of bread, a tin of beans, two carrots and a couple of spuds doesn't actually make any meals right?".

It does sound like something the Computer would cook up.

Remember, happiness is mandatory. Failure to follow regulations is treason. Treason is punishable by summary execution.

Have a nice day-cycle!

Edit: This post requires RED clearance level. If you have read this post, report to the nearest termination chamber. Remember, failure to report to the termination chamber is punishable by termination. Have a nice day-cycle!

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    depends where you are, for sure, but yeah in the south east that's not unreasonable

In, say, Sheffield, you could get a five bedroom semi-detached with a big garden and a drive in a nice area for 350K

But Sheffield is cheap as chips (which is why I live here, that and it's where all my friends, family and stuff is)
    I am in Sheffield right now infact! ./wave

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Lotta Yorkshirefolk on this board :)

Well... South Yorkshirefolk

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Hey fellow Sheffielder!

PAX Meadowhall 2022?

I am up for that! Although... Meadowhall... blehhhh

It's the first thing I thought of when thinking about Sheffield :P

Incidentally, Meadowhall is on Google Street View; I've been wandering around to remind myself of what shopping centres are like

• PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    Meadowhall is like 1.5miles from my Dad's house, it takes about an hour to get there with public transport - actually quicker to walk.

I have to drive to Manchester tomorrow for a "Test for Release" test. There are none in Sheffield because, hey it's only the 4th biggest city in England. I expect to be I dunno, arrested and fined for literal no choice travel where I see no one at all.

The test for release page is really awesome btw, you have to know the city phone prefixes as they helpfully don't list the city the clinic is in.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I will also accept dried. But the texture of a plain banana bothers me, it needs to be processed somehow.

Peel them and freeze them (don’t freeze them with the peels on). Ideally do this the more ripe they are (also good to cut them first) and eat them frozen

wbBv3fj.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    One of the Barclay brothers, owners of the Telegraph, died. Johnson has paid obsequious tribute, as you’d expect.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

This is Twitter account of a Fishing company.

Brexit is going well then....

Though the same account has retweeted Fishing for Leave which states this is all the fault of the "Remainer establishment" who weren't prepared.

So my sympathy is limited for them.

SharpyVII on
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Though the same account has retweeted Fishing for Leave which states this is all the fault of the "Remainer establishment" who weren't prepared.

Play stupid games and you win stupid prizes. You're fucked son, make your peace with it.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2021
    From this morning’s TV. Tweeter is a doctor, but the clip is why I’m posting it.

When they’re evasive it’s important that the person talking to them skewers them like this. You can’t force them to answer, but you can show how they’re pathetically wiggling away from the question.

Bogart on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    So awesome
    that little nod at 0:29.
    There's still an ounce of humanity left within the rotting husk.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I cannot handle this whole "agreeing with Piers Morgan" thing. It's happening too often. I feel dirty.

evilthecat wrote: »

He's only been 99% assimilated by the Borg, then.

Jazz on
    edited January 2021
    Jazz wrote: »
    I cannot handle this whole "agreeing with Piers Morgan" thing. It's happening too often. I feel dirty.

The fact he's one of the only MSM figures asking awkward questions is almost enough to make you forget that before like, a year ago, he'd spent his entire career cheerleading these clowns into power. Almost.

Casual on
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    1. Why did you subject me to piers Morgan and Matt Hancock in the same video?
    2. Why am I on piers Morgan's side?
    3. What does Matt Hancock have to lose by saying he regretted it? Am I bad at politics?

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    3. What does Matt Hancock have to lose by saying he regretted it? Am I bad at politics?

The real question is whether you threatened to overrule him.

(Politicians seem to have taken away to avoid being nailed down on something at all costs)

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

What's causing this? Is it just that there is new paper work that wasn't prepared ahead of time?

Edit: Because last I heard the last minute deal kept existing fishing quotas and in theory differed the new requirements for like a year or something?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

What's causing this? Is it just that there is new paper work that wasn't prepared ahead of time?

Edit: Because last I heard the last minute deal kept existing fishing quotas and in theory differed the new requirements for like a year or something?

There are customs formalities which add time to processing, coupled with the fact that there are now veterinary checks required for live animal export, which includes seafood

There's a general increase in transit time arising from the fact that processing all loads is taking longer, and some freight companies are just flat out refusing to deal with certain categories of goods because the administrative overhead is too high

Fwiw I think Loch Fyne have been persistently saying this was a likely outcome of brexit, I don't think the guy that owns the company is a brexiteer. I remember him on radio four more than a year ago talking about the additional hurdles involved

Live seafood is probably the most time sensitive logistics chain crossing the channel, so it's kind of the canary for this stuff

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    So shitty
    I can’t imagine having an election during a pandemic. I assume that’s legal, but is that even legal?

The fact he's one of the only MSM figures asking awkward questions is almost enough to make you forget that before like, a year ago, he'd spent his entire career cheerleading these clowns into power. Almost.

To be fair, the government has attempted, implictly and explicitly, to cut off any journalistic questioning avenues that they don't control. That's why they just...never talk to Channel 4 any more.

And the dead eyed stare, evasion of the question and wriggling is done because it works. It's awful, and whenever it happens, whoever does it looks like a div. But it also stops them from saying something off-message, or memorable, and so people lose them in a sea of bland non-informational noise. And then it's Con +2.

edited January 2021
    Relatedly

The Westminster leader of the SNP is Ian Blackford, member for Skye and Lochaber, who is making hay with this

Additionally in PMQs Johnson appeared to commit to additional support for the fishing industry, but it turns out he was referring to already-existing grants for modernisation, not support for brexit impacts

Edit:

japan on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I struggle to watch these clips because they provoke a really uncomfortable reaction in me, like when I watch The Office or some other cringe comedy. Only here I know it's real people with real power over our country so the cringe is topped with a layer of despair.

CroakerBC wrote: »
    I can’t imagine having an election during a pandemic. I assume that’s legal, but is that even legal?

To be fair, the government has attempted, implictly and explicitly, to cut off any journalistic questioning avenues that they don't control. That's why they just...never talk to Channel 4 any more.

And the dead eyed stare, evasion of the question and wriggling is done because it works. It's awful, and whenever it happens, whoever does it looks like a div. But it also stops them from saying something off-message, or memorable, and so people lose them in a sea of bland non-informational noise. And then it's Con +2.

I think Piers is currently living in a period of grace, this government is so slow they haven't caught up to the fact his new shtick is aping Paxman. Once they do they'll blacklist him as well.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Its the fact that filling out paperwork is time consuming and annoying regardless of whether the paperwork allows the same things as its absence did. Its why the EU was such a beneficial trade block in the first place. It's not as if there were massive exclusionary tariffs before the EU, when it was just the ECEA or whatever, it was that being 'If its OK in the UK, its OK here' is a huge facilitator of trade.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I struggle to watch these clips because they provoke a really uncomfortable reaction in me, like when I watch The Office or some other cringe comedy. Only here I know it's real people with real power over our country so the cringe is topped with a layer of despair.

Yes, Minister and The Thick of It were always more accurate than they wanted to be.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

1. We're no longer subject to the European Court of Human Rights
    2. I think all Pier's friends in the cabinet left, and he's worked in those circles long enough to just not like Boris on a personal level on top of any professional jealously.
    3. His job. Competence is not required, only loyalty in Boris's cabinet. Too much competence might even be suspicious…you might start considering metrics, or even results and get ideas.

Tastyfish on
    edited January 2021
    The UK is still under the jurisdiction of the European Court of Human Rights. That arises from our status as a signatory to the European Charter of Human Rights, which isn't anything to do with the EU or EU membership.

The UK would have to revoke its signature, which would have all kinds of international and diplomatic implications, not the least of which is that it's one of the bases on which the EU could withdraw from the trade agreement.

(I realise I'm responding to a joke, here, but it's amazing how many people get this wrong)

japan on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular

Gumpy wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    It's incredibly grim that in the time of covid I'm agreeing with Piers Morgan.

I've seen this post a lot so I went back a couple of years of forum history to investigate

If you exist in the [Chat] Thread you have about a 5% chance of a Piers Morgan post being positive (and a 2.5% chance of it being about him becoming.... Yggdrasil?)

If you stay here however, you have around a 55% chance of a Piers Morgan post being positive. He mainly jumps into this thread when his takes are aligned with the popular view of the time.

There must be a rule underlining this phenomenon

The hiberno-piers fanclub grows?

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Shitty
    So Marks and Spencer is shutting down their stores in Prague temporarily. Ostensibly due to the whole Covid situation, I'm thinking more because Brexit seems to have messed up the whole exporting food from the UK thing they have going on.

They managed to stay open for the mess of lockdowns we've had up until now and they do crazy business, plus they were out of stock on a number of items recently and had signs blaming Brexit.

Harrumph.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
This discussion has been closed.