As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Discworld] Who Watches The Watchmen In The Watch?

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Only to ensure that nobody else takes out a contract on Moist, of course. No other reason.
    ... but Moist isn't so sure of that & is terrified : )

Hey, if there's no danger involved, Moist loses interest and we can't have that, can we?

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think there were rumours that it would be about renovating the tax system

Which would have been so wonderful - I'd have probably framed excerpts and had them on my desk
    He was definitely building to that, going by the end of Making Money. I think Raising Steam was originally Raising Taxes, but no-one knows how far that got before it changed tracks (yes I meant to say that).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Moist von Lipwig is of course the future Patrician, though Havelock stepped side-ways, rather than down from the position. He has not been seen since Moist’s inauguration.

Thats not true hes just teaching camouflage at Assassins guild

I can't see that.

Moist von Lipwig is of course the future Patrician, though Havelock stepped side-ways, rather than down from the position. He has not been seen since Moist’s inauguration.

Thats not true hes just teaching camouflage at Assassins guild

I can't see that.
    That's how you know.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    He'd be very much visible while teaching, less so during his office hours.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m trying to think of a good tax related title pun, any thoughts?

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'd imagine it'd be something like "Under Audit" and have a subplot of Death having to step into a similar role as Moist for various Disc-based religious underworlds to work into the Death & Taxes angle.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Reaping Duty?
    Duty as in tax and reaping as in death?
    you can do kind of a play on the the fact that early tax collection was "farmed out".

oh and it's also a poop joke.

DanHibiki on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I'd imagine it'd be something like "Under Audit" and have a subplot of Death having to step into a similar role as Moist for various Disc-based religious underworlds to work into the Death & Taxes angle.

Taxing Times, gotta stick with the Moist title convention.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited January 2021
    What about Running Things?

Maybe with an Olympic Games side-plot? And/or monsters from the Dungeon Dimensions poking into reality?

Guess it doesn’t scream taxes though.

What about Paying Dues?

Maybe someone from Moist’s past is after him now he’s Patrician, plus it could be dues as in Latin for god (nearly), so maybe money is becoming a god, or Io is somehow a major player in the story.

Endless_Serpents on
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

Maybe with an Olympic Games side-plot? And/or monsters from the Dungeon Dimensions poking into reality?

What about Paying Dues?

Maybe someone from Moist’s past is after him now he’s Patrician, plus it could be dues as in Latin for god, so maybe money is becoming a god, or Io is somehow a major player in the story.

Dues Ex Machina comes to mind

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I assume revising taxes in Anhk Morpork would among other things need to address the wage issues the city has and the severe wealth inequality.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited January 2021
    “Deus Ex Oeconomia.”, said the golem.
    “What’s that then?”
    “It means... It means you can do anything if you’re rich enough, and get away with it.”
    “I don’t know about that. What about the Watch?”
    “You can pay them off! Easy. The world runs on money, and we deserve it as much as anyone. Just look who’s in charge now! A first rate banker!”
    Wendy balked, turning her attention to the fire, “I didn’t think you’d be very interested in money...”
    “I’m interested in freedom.”
    “...and there was no need to swear.”

Endless_Serpents on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

What about Paying Dues?

Maybe someone from Moist’s past is after him now he’s Patrician, plus it could be dues as in Latin for god (nearly), so maybe money is becoming a god, or Io is somehow a major player in the story.

We've already done "someone from Moist's past". No this time it should be someone from Vetinari's past. Someone clever enough not to come at Vetinari while he was around, but spiteful enough to enact Vengeance on all he holds dear after he's gone.

The Twist should eventually be that despite both Moist, the Villain, and various characters expecting wheels within wheels to be spinning throughout thd book, Vetinari deliberately left no plans or traps to deal with this Adversary. The fact Vetinari didn't care enough to contest them from beyond the grave would end up doing the villain the most harm

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Wir "from beyond the grave" you mean that in the future he's spending a lot of time with lady Margolotta?

edited January 2021
    Beyond the Grave is probably a nice part of Überwald, situated next to Lower Grave, Upper Grave and Open Grave.

Endless_Serpents on
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    LOL - definitely!
    It's where Nanny Ogg goes to practice her singing...

: D so fun - can Nobby somehow be forced to compete?
    Ringo wrote: »
    someone from Vetinari's past. Someone clever enough not to come at Vetinari while he was around, but spiteful enough to enact Vengeance on all he holds dear after he's gone.

The Twist should eventually be that despite both Moist, the Villain, and various characters expecting wheels within wheels to be spinning throughout thd book, Vetinari deliberately left no plans or traps to deal with this Adversary. The fact Vetinari didn't care enough to contest them from beyond the grave would end up doing the villain the most harm

So we spend the book wondering what kind of elaborate plans Vetinari made, but the villain ends up dooming themselves?
    I would love to read this book
    honovere wrote: »
    Wir "from beyond the grave" you mean that in the future he's spending a lot of time with lady Margolotta?
    <3 yay! They can finally play chess in person again... this "Dues Ex Machina" book has everything - sports, intrigue, romance. Best Moist von Lipwig book yet!

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Well, we've managed to cobble together a better use of the Discworld licence than The Watch

Although that could also be said by somebody glueing a plate to a turtle

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Well, we've managed to cobble together a better use of the Discworld licence than The Watch

Although that could also be said by somebody glueing a plate to a turtle

You mock it but now my cookies are mobile and only require me to carry lettuce everywhere

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I am still disappointed that they won't allow the books to continue. I get why. But that doesn't remove the disappointment.

edited January 2021
    I’ve never written a novel so I’m not one to talk, but an anthology of other Discs written by fans might be cool, despite lacking the characters and places we know, which are the main point I suppose.

Perhaps they could be A’tuin’s kids in particular, and because of that the worlds drive towards certain tendencies... such as having a guy called Nobbs, and witches in black, and wizards liking towers, and trolls (though what element they are is up for grabs).

Endless_Serpents on
    Somebody should create fan fiction of it. Then get a book deal, change the names and add bondage. I hear that works

50 Shades of Greyhald Spold

: D
    Well, Moist did find that closet full of goodies in Making Money...

I would definitely buy an anthology of Discs written by fans - that would be awesome, maybe it would have art included too...

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I am still disappointed that they won't allow the books to continue. I get why. But that doesn't remove the disappointment.

Somebody wrote a sixth Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy novel. It was probably more disappointing than if there was never another one.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Somebody wrote a sixth Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy novel. It was probably more disappointing than if there was never another one.

Pratchett had notes and details for future stories destroyed after his death.

Pratchett had notes and details for future stories destroyed after his death.

Neil Gaiman solemnly throwing things in the book burning furnace as per the will

And his hard drive was run over by a steamroller, also per his last request

And the sword he made from meteoric iron was wedged into the floor of a library in Rowberrow, so that it might be drawn one day in case of elves.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

French comic book series Valérian et Laureline (you may recall the film version from 2017, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets) ended in 2010, after running since 1970 (technically two extra albums were released in 2013 and 2019).

Two (so far) albums created by other writers/artists have come out. One a light-hearted comical take, and the other in the more classical veins of the original story.

Spirou et Fantasio is a children's Franco-Belgian comic book series that started in 1938. After the last truly successful writer/artist duo on the series retired in 1998, the publishers have allowed others to create their alternate takes, som of which have been really good. Best so far is "Hope Despite Everything".
    Belgium is under Nazi German occupation. Our protagonist Spirou has lost his job as a bellhop, and inadvertently managed to join the Resistance by smuggling documents in his travelling puppet show.

The final (so far) album of that series, sees Spirou try to save a young Belgian Jewish girl who is being led aboard a train bound east. But he fails, and claims to be the girl's guardian to try to watch over her. On the final page, the other passengers talk of their destination. It's apparently close to a small village in Poland none of them have heard of before, called Auswitch…

You know, for kids.

DW spin-offs could be good, is what I'm saying.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    And his hard drive was run over by a steamroller, also per his last request

Honestly, that should just be a de facto inclusion in all wills.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

French comic book series Valérian et Laureline (you may recall the film version from 2017, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets) ended in 2010, after running since 1970 (technically two extra albums were released in 2013 and 2019).

Two (so far) albums created by other writers/artists have come out. One a light-hearted comical take, and the other in the more classical veins of the original story.

Spirou et Fantasio is a children's Franco-Belgian comic book series that started in 1938. After the last truly successful writer/artist duo on the series retired in 1998, the publishers have allowed others to create their alternate takes, som of which have been really good. Best so far is "Hope Despite Everything".
    Belgium is under Nazi German occupation. Our protagonist Spirou has lost his job as a bellhop, and inadvertently managed to join the Resistance by smuggling documents in his travelling puppet show.

The final (so far) album of that series, sees Spirou try to save a young Belgian Jewish girl who is being led aboard a train bound east. But he fails, and claims to be the girl's guardian to try to watch over her. On the final page, the other passengers talk of their destination. It's apparently close to a small village in Poland none of them have heard of before, called Auswitch…

You know, for kids.

That spoiler made a lot more sense once I wikipedia'ed and found out that "Spirou" is the guy and not the leopard monkey.

euj90n71sojo.png
    I am leaving wishes that my computer can be used to close my email and forum accounts in the event of my death, but not to check my bookmarks or browser history.
    And then delete all the folders.
    Especially the ones named 'Misc'.

I’m hoping an AI spam bot can be made from my computer, phone and post history, so that I might forever spout rubbish online.

That service exists (existed? Old article)
    Creative digital agency Lean Mean Fighting Machine says it is collaborating with researchers at Queen Mary University in order to create LivesOn, an app that generates a digital "twin" that will learn your preferences in life so that it can eventually impersonate you in death. Users appoint an "executor" of their LivesOn "will" who has the power to switch on the app if the user dies, re-animating his or her digital persona.

That service exists (existed? Old article)
    Creative digital agency Lean Mean Fighting Machine says it is collaborating with researchers at Queen Mary University in order to create LivesOn, an app that generates a digital "twin" that will learn your preferences in life so that it can eventually impersonate you in death. Users appoint an "executor" of their LivesOn "will" who has the power to switch on the app if the user dies, re-animating his or her digital persona.

That explains Herman Cain.

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

You know, for kids.

That spoiler made a lot more sense once I wikipedia'ed and found out that "Spirou" is the guy and not the leopard monkey.

Those are called Marsupilami and one of them knocked out a brachiosaurus by hitting him over the head with a branch over several days.

Oh damn, I remember Marsupilami

I had the Mega Drive game which was basically one long escort mission

: 0 cool, still need to read that comic

Herman Cain - can we incorporate him into the Many Discs anthology somehow?
    Maybe Dibbler's long lost cousin or something?

In some moments, he seemed more like a character out of a parody to me than a real person,
    especially here...

just put it all in to the machine, except my magic cards. I want to be buried with those.
    https://youtu.be/kfMTOEQKg24