As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SCOTUS] thread we dreaded updates for because RIP RBG

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    You do not need standing to file an amicus curiae. Its basically just a formal letter telling the court how you think they should rule. Think of it like trying to do the judges homework for them.

Oh, missed that. The words "leave to file" jumped out and I just assumed they were trying to join or filing their own lawsuit because SovCit!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020

Texas lawsuit seeking to throw out the votes of predominately black citizens in four states has been rejected by SCOTUS for lack of standing

NPR is National Public Radio

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Also, since the thread got bumped and I don't like seeing it on the front page, but since it's here already, some other semi-positive news from earlier this week?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/07/politics/supreme-court-transgender-bathrooms-oregon/index.html
    The Supreme Court declined on Monday to take up a case from parents in Oregon who challenged a public school's policy allowing a transgender student to use the bathroom that corresponded with his gender identity.

The petition was considered a long shot because of several complicated threshold issues, including the fact that the policy had been put in place five years ago for one student -- referred to as "student A" -- who has since graduated from the high school located in Dallas, Oregon. At issue was an individualized plan drawn up specifically for "student A."

In declining to take up the petition, the justices left in place an appeals court decision earlier this year that held that the school's policy intended to "avoid discrimination and ensure the safety and well-being of transgender students."

Second case where they're treating transgender as effectively settled law?

e: And as a note, I say semi- only because I read some commentary that this one was a ridiculous case to begin with, so we can't necessarily treat its dismissal as indicative of the court's position.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Texas lawsuit seeking to throw out the votes of predominately black citizens in four states has been rejected by SCOTUS for lack of standing

NPR is National Public Radio
    Texas does not have the legal right to sue Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin because it “has not demonstrated a judicially cognizable interest in the manner in which another State conducts its elections.”

Source:

AP is a news organization.

Not quite the "what? fuck you" response it warranted, but still ok.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    It kind of is? Like denying to even hear it is basically saying "No, that's not how that works, fuck off"

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    saying they have "not demonstrated a judicially cognizable interest" is pretty harsh in lawyer speak

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's legalese for "fuck off with that bullshit", essentially

• Options
    Yeah, I realize it's "you have not demonstrated even the basic criteria of viability," I'm just saying that a plain English "what? fuck you" would have been more viscerally satisfying.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Yeah, I realize it's "you have not demonstrated even the basic criteria of viability," I'm just saying that a plain English "what? fuck you" would have been more viscerally satisfying.

Nah, they should have broken out some Latin for this. That's how you know you done fucked up.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

Nah, they should have broken out some Latin for this. That's how you know you done fucked up.

Latin is like when your mom includes your middle name

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Latin is like when your mom includes your middle name

Let see if i can remember enough Catullus to placate jdarksun's request (with a little Texas flavor added):

"Quid! Te futueo et caballum tuum!"

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    i only know "Cornelia est puella romana" so i'm gonna take your word for it

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

If my conjugation is correct it says:
    What?! Fuck you and the horse you rode in on!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    My favorite part is that even Alito and Thomas, who believe that the court must allow filings arising within its original jurisdiction, threw in that they wouldn’t grant any other relief.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    ICE delenda est

... that's all I got

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Ecce Romani! Los lupum in sylvam es.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

If my conjugation is correct it says:
    What?! Fuck you and the horse you rode in on!

I think you're probably off on some technical aspect - probably word order, if my long-dormant recollections are still reliable - but you're definitely correct in spirit.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Latin doesn't actually care about word order super much, although there were definitely standard ways to speak and write.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Latin doesn't actually care about word order super much, although there were definitely standard ways to speak and write.

Kind of like adjectives in English don't really have to go in any particular order, but they absolutely do

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Order particular

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Order particular

License poetic.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    When I first heard of the Texas suit, my first thought was "how can they possibly have standing in regards to another state's election?" It was a great relief to hear "they don't". But SCOTUS actually saying the judicial equivalent of "At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul." brought a smile to my face.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Order particular

License poetic.

Is planet forbidden!

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Overshadowed by *waves at everything* SCOTUS issued a ruling recently that pandemic or no, women *must* pick up abortion pills in person. For Reasons. Note that even with that requirement in place, the pills are not taken in Dr's offices. The dosing is done at home. And the FDA *did* remote that requirement for other drugs with worse side effects.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2021/01/justices-grant-fda-request-to-block-mail-delivery-of-abortion-pills/

(why this rule withstands even basic scrutiny pandemic or no I have no idea).

• Options
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Order particular

License poetic.

And every native speaker knows this is breaking the order.

Three red cars

Red three cars

It sounds odd and that proves the existence of an order.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Red Three Cars are for Biggs Darklighter stans

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Order particular

License poetic.

And every native speaker knows this is breaking the order.

Three red cars

Red three cars

It sounds odd and that proves the existence of an order.

They're not reordering the adjectives in either of those examples, though, just moving the single adjective after the vowel, which is acceptable usage for emphasis or to strike an antiquated tone. The equivalent would be "red cars three" or "three cars red."

See also:

Attorney general

Eggs Benedict

Warriors Three

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    edit - not the thread

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The post noun order is specifically a reference to the latin and french construction. It isn’t a break in the order rules or even really an exception, its a variation of the order rules to apply a more formal effect or make something into a compound (and most often proper) noun.

Latin specifically was used over such a wide spread of time its hard to pin down pronunciations and sentence constructions exactly though. If you went back to ancient Rome and used modern legal constructions and pronunciations (or modern liturgical constructions and pronunciations) you would get a ton of funny looks and blank stares.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    BuzzFeed.
    NEW: SCOTUS has booted the remaining emoluments cases against Trump as moot, and vacated the judgments against the former preisdent in the lower courts

Might as well say it’s okay if the president does it. Or “only illegal if in office for 8 years, and all appeals aren’t exhausted by then, maybe.” Those suits were filed not that many weeks after he took office.

What a court.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I don't understand how they could vacate the lower court rulings. That's some horse shit

Xaquin on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I don't understand how they could vacate the lower court rulings. That some horse shit

Because accountability is for the poor.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Be prepared for MANY shitty decisions to come now that the Democrats are trying to actually use the government to do things.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Be prepared for MANY shitty decisions to come now that the Democrats are trying to actually use the government to do things.

And it is a 6-3 bench.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    BuzzFeed.
    NEW: SCOTUS has booted the remaining emoluments cases against Trump as moot, and vacated the judgments against the former preisdent in the lower courts

Might as well say it’s okay if the president does it. Or “only illegal if in office for 8 years, and all appeals aren’t exhausted by then, maybe.” Those suits were filed not that many weeks after he took office.

What a court.

Didn't the courts also allow massive delays in the hearing of these cases?

Really seems like an orobouros of suck. Continuance, continuance, continuance, oh, sorry, you're out of time.

And the fact that Trump gets to keep his illegally gotten "gifts" too, is just all sorts of fucked.

So fucking tired of the rich and connected clearly not being held to the same standard as everyone else.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Looks like court packing needs to come back in the conversation.

It will be a necessity if there are to be any legislative accomplishments.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    It should have never left the conversation

Just because Trump is no longer in the White House doesn't mean all sins are forgiven - as this case so aptly demonstrates

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    It sounds like the problem is more with how we handle the Emoulments Act in the first place:

No. It's unquestionably moot. The cases did not seek retrospective relief, such as damages, but rather only prospective relief—declarations and and injunctions addressing future conduct. But he can't violate the emoluments clause any more, since he's no longer president.
    The author is a lawyer.

Basically, since the cases were seeking to enjoin Trump, and not seeking damages, they are rendered moot with him no longer in a position to act in the manner for which the injunction was saught.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.