As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Japanese model PS3 : how will it burn me?

fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
I'm looking at possibly buying a Japanese 60 GB PS3.

Will I run into NTSC / PAL / JP issues attempting to use it with US release games & blue ray movies etc?

Is there anything else I should know or consider?

Thanks much

fadingathedges on

• ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have the same question, will the menus be in Japanese etc?

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The PS3 hardware is region-less. The real issue and only difference is NTSC vs PAL. If you live in a NTSC region then you'll be fine. You might have to set the menu language to English, that would be about it.

Dark Shroud on
    edited January 2008
    Thats cool, there should be no worry's about PAL etc if Im using a HDTV right?

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Bill NyeBill Nye Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Some things are censored out of games if playing on a JPN PS3. The games detect what system is running them and sets up the structure to suit the region.

Bill Nye on
    edited January 2008
    Bill Nye wrote: »
    Some things are censored out of games if playing on a JPN PS3. The games detect what system is running them and sets up the structure to suit the region.

Example?

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
    edited January 2008
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    Thats cool, there should be no worry's about PAL etc if Im using a HDTV right?

Let me be clear on this since I don't know what region you're in. There is a difference between PAL & NTSC PS3. Japan is NTSC just like North America. So if you're from North America you'll be fine. If you're from Europe you're in for a bit of trouble.

A PAL PS3 will read everything while an NTSC PS3 does not read PAL. If an HD source uses the H.264 or VC-1 codec then PAL & NTSC shouldn't be an issue. There could be an issues if it's using HD level mpeg2. I'm not enough of a videophile to know the fine details of these codecs.

I don't mind help, but please let me know if you're in an NTSC or PAL region. If you don't know that's fine just let me know what country and I can look it up for you.

Dark Shroud on
    edited January 2008
    Im PAL, in the UK. So am I screwed with games or blueray if I want to pop to the shops to buy them? I don't care about streaming media/dvd or any of that, I already have my Xbox setup to do all the video shenanigans I want :)

Thanks for the help.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
    edited January 2008
    Then yeah you'll be fine for games and should be fine on Blu-ray down the road. I'd suggest renting a few blu-ray first before buying.

Dark Shroud on
    edited January 2008
    Then yeah you'll be fine for games and should be fine on Blu-ray down the road. I'd suggest renting a few blu-ray first before buying.

Awesome, thanks :)

I had heard some blue rays are region coding, so I'll check online before I buy any.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i have a jpn 60 gig. you can change all the menus to english. when you do, the games you play (if they have multi-region data encoded on them), will also change to english. for example, my vf5, which i bought in japan, has all the english data so i play it in english. in-game menus are in english, ranks and items are all in english, etc.

one thing that sucks though is that my jpn ps3 does NOT play my american ps2 games due to region coding. fuckers. i read somewhere that although the ps3 would not have region coding, it would still be possible to region code games and since all the ps2 games are region coded, you wont be able to play any of your non-jpn games on your jpn p3.

Ketherial on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Im PAL, in the UK. So am I screwed with games or blueray if I want to pop to the shops to buy them? I don't care about streaming media/dvd or any of that, I already have my Xbox setup to do all the video shenanigans I want :)

Thanks for the help.

I have a 60Gb PS3 in the Uk. Everything can be set to english as everyone says just circle is now enter and x is cancel/back in terms on controls. This includes the games so for example my US copy of UT3 will still use circle as enter and x as back cancel despite being of a different region. There are censoring issues as someone pointed out such as US and Uk copies of uncharted will NOT show blood on a Japanese PS3. As I have said this you've probably guessed that all PS3 games work whatever the region but the PS3 will only play PS2 and PS1 games from the consoles intended region.

Blu-Ray movies are region coded, the studios that enforce this though are Fox and Disney. Warner Bros and Sony pictures Blu-Ray movies are region free ( normally it will state a region on the back of the box or all regions for Sony pictures movies, if the movie does not display a region symbol on the box the movie is region free).

there has been no problems setting up a uk online account etc on my PS3 so no problems there. Updates as well are fine.

Hope this helps.

Ziggymon on
    edited February 2008
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Thanks for the help.

I have a 60Gb PS3 in the Uk. Everything can be set to english as everyone says just circle is now enter and x is cancel/back in terms on controls. This includes the games so for example my US copy of UT3 will still use circle as enter and x as back cancel despite being of a different region. There are censoring issues as someone pointed out such as US and Uk copies of uncharted will NOT show blood on a Japanese PS3. As I have said this you've probably guessed that all PS3 games work whatever the region but the PS3 will only play PS2 and PS1 games from the consoles intended region.

Blu-Ray movies are region coded, the studios that enforce this though are Fox and Disney. Warner Bros and Sony pictures Blu-Ray movies are region free ( normally it will state a region on the back of the box or all regions for Sony pictures movies, if the movie does not display a region symbol on the box the movie is region free).

there has been no problems setting up a uk online account etc on my PS3 so no problems there. Updates as well are fine.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :) Im already used to the Circle and X thing as I have a JP import PSP, although it dosen't carry over to games with that.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
    edited February 2008
    40gb White PS3 + Extra White Dual Shock 3 pad ordered... aaaaagh! :) Can't wait for it to be delivered, I already picked up Resistance and Motorstorm in a 2 for £40 sale :)

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bill Nye wrote: »

Example?

This is a good example:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/only-in-japan/uncharted-gets-totally-censored-325273.php

Not sure if its changed or anything since kotaku posted that though.

powersurge on