As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    So I have just installed BEX:CE and will be spinning up a new career tonight in it. Any suggestions related to that mod (like starting year)? Any other companion mods I should add to it?

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Gauss builds are so much fun to play!

I mean... until you try to play pretty much anything else

But still, incredibly fun!

The only thing better than piloting a gauss build is piloting a heavy gauss build. It's why I turned my Warhammer-Black Widow into a slug that gets outpaced by an Atlas and I just can't bring myself to downgrade my weapons to regular gauss.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Gauss builds are so much fun to play!

I mean... until you try to play pretty much anything else

But still, incredibly fun!

The only thing better than piloting a gauss build is piloting a heavy gauss build. It's why I turned my Warhammer-Black Widow into a slug that gets outpaced by an Atlas and I just can't bring myself to downgrade my weapons to regular gauss.

I’ve done this in a Thanatos and a Catapult (C2)

I found that I worked better with double LB-20X instead but dual HGR is still great for the mech eraser experience.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It'll be at an ungodly hour of the day but my next stream will be more MWO.

I'm thinking of buying a new mech to ride around in but I have no specific ideas of which. Trying a new mech seems like the best use of time for a stream.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    It'll be at an ungodly hour of the day but my next stream will be more MWO.

I'm thinking of buying a new mech to ride around in but I have no specific ideas of which. Trying a new mech seems like the best use of time for a stream.

I vote a Flea. They're tiny, annoying (with the ECM) and if you want to be even more annoying equip a Light PPC on it and shoot peas at everybody.

Seriously though there is one variant that I think I run like 6SPL and 1SL or something like that which is fun. Another I run with 6MGs and a ML (I think, could be a SL). They are so ignored that you'll seem to be invisible for the most part.

Another fun light is the ECM Commando. 3SRM2s and Stealth Armor is quite hilarious.

I always go light mechs because the queue is usually really short and I love speed.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The only lights I'd consider piloting are anything that's ECM equipped.

• Options
    FLE-20, COM-2D, any KFX, any COU, any ACH

WLF-GR or LCT-PB if you have MC to spare

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Lights are the truth and the light.

Speed is life.

• Options
    Oh boy Commandos are on sale, 50% off!

And they cost... under a million a pop. Oof. That bad, eh?

• Options
    edited January 2021

You pay a good amount to make them useful, most of them have 3025 IS tech base gear like standard engines, single heat sinks, and standard internal structure

That being said, Commandos have amazing hit boxes and are a staple in comp play (especially the COM-1D and COM-2D).

Nobody on
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »

You pay a good amount to make them useful, most of them have 3025 IS tech base gear like standard engines, single heat sinks, and standard internal structure

That being said, Commandos have amazing hit boxes and are a staple in comp play (especially the COM-1D and COM-2D).

Yep, as we used to jokingly called it the IS tax.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    I love my SRM12 Commando

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Commando's kind of have a steep learning curve though. There really isn't a training wheels mode with them like there might be for a Kit Fox or similar, where you can just ECM bubble the big boys while peaking out from behind their legs to throw rocks every now and then. Nor do they have the size advantage of a FLEA that makes it so hard to hit. They splash damage pretty good though and they have the best engine sound in MWO.

Edit: If you really wanna go hard mode, try running a Panther. Useful and a scary early enemy in Battletech, practically worthless in MWO.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    The funny thing is, I look at Commandos differently between MWO and Battletech. In the former, a total joke. In the latter, hey I use those sometimes as scout mechs.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Commando's kind of have a steep learning curve though. There really isn't a training wheels mode with them like there might be for a Kit Fox or similar, where you can just ECM bubble the big boys while peaking out from behind their legs to throw rocks every now and then. Nor do they have the size advantage of a FLEA that makes it so hard to hit. They splash damage pretty good though and they have the best engine sound in MWO.

Edit: If you really wanna go hard mode, try running a Panther. Useful and a scary early enemy in Battletech, practically worthless in MWO.

I have one Panther that I swap duty with. Either 2 ERPPCs or my normal 2Snubnose PPCs. If I want to do some assist farming I usually go with the ERs.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The deaths knell is pretty good, but of course you gotta pay spacebux for it.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    You ever alpha strike an enemy once, and get ready to alpha strike again, and right when you do, a teammate who wants the glory of the kill runs into your firing lane and absorbs the hit, losing a fucking arm in the process?

• Options
    I’ve had friendlies do that

To my Fafnir.

They were very unfortunately scouted in the Steiner style.

• Options
    I'm taking a closer look at Kodiaks and holy shit they have a grade 400 XL engine. They're fast for Assault mechs and stock loadouts have barely any armor stripped away. The 1 Variant has a bunch of varied platform totaling 106 firepower (JESUS) and the 5 is a single gauss rifle and a shitton of lasers adding to 90.

I want one but I dunno which.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    You ever alpha strike an enemy once, and get ready to alpha strike again, and right when you do, a teammate who wants the glory of the kill runs into your firing lane and absorbs the hit, losing a fucking arm in the process?

This is like, a proud (braindead) pubbie tradition!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    I'm taking a closer look at Kodiaks and holy shit they have a grade 400 XL engine. They're fast for Assault mechs and stock loadouts have barely any armor stripped away. The 1 Variant has a bunch of varied platform totaling 106 firepower (JESUS) and the 5 is a single gauss rifle and a shitton of lasers adding to 90.

Serious answer: don’t get one.

Their agility is abysmal, their hit boxes are gigantic, and they’re massive fire magnets.

Wait until we see if PGI goes through the trouble of rebalancing the underperformers first.

• Options

Their agility is abysmal, their hit boxes are gigantic, and they’re massive fire magnets.

Wait until we see if PGI goes through the trouble of rebalancing the underperformers first.

Alternatively, it looks super cool.
    I have one with dual LBX20 and it is hilarious. My first Assault.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    So I have just installed BEX:CE and will be spinning up a new career tonight in it. Any suggestions related to that mod (like starting year)? Any other companion mods I should add to it?

Honestly curious to see what people say. I'm starting to think about trying that mod as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »

Alternatively, it looks super cool.
    I have one with dual LBX20 and it is hilarious. My first Assault.
    Or do what I do, buy one for the looks, paint it up and then literally never play it.

But dang it looks cool in my stable.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »

Honestly curious to see what people say. I'm starting to think about trying that mod as well.

UH, remind me in a week or so and I can at least offer my feedback.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Yeah

I have three of them

They just... die

If I'm very lucky I get to pull the trigger a few times before the dying thing happens

• Options
    Yeah the glory days of the Kodiak were short lived, but man were they fun to play when they were overpowered. Spirit Bears ripping mechs apart with SMR6s and LB20Xs. 2UAC10/2UAC5 Kodiaks ripping people at distance. It was glorious hearing the bear roars... Till you were on the receiving end. They then nerfed them and then the skill tree balancing killed them.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    This is starting to sound like my Dire Wolf.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »

I messed around with it a little. I only used the 3025 start, so I can’t offer any feedback on year. My biggest piece of advice would be to use the advanced company start. That gives you a starting lance with a weight more like the standard career. If you don’t, you’re probably going to be stuck with super light mechs for a while. Maybe you like having to field Wasps and Stingers, I don’t.

Also, I’d leave the parts required for ‘Mech completion at 3. With increased variety of chassis and more variants per chassis it can be very tough to assemble new mechs.

Oh, and don’t do Ambush Convoy missions. They put hovercraft in the vehicle pools for those, so you can wind up losing the mission on turn 2 because those things are FAST.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Wait are Kodiaks bad now? I used to dumpster people with them. What a pity, they are such cool looking mechs.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Wait are Kodiaks bad now? I used to dumpster people with them. What a pity, they are such cool looking mechs.

It takes about 10 seconds for a KDK-3 to hit full speed from a dead stop.

You need to hit cap on all of the accel, decel, and torso speed nodes in the mobility tree to even approach the mobility of the MCII-B. Even then you still have the worst acceleration in the game.

Nobody on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you want to pilot a Kodiak these days, I've found the quad-gauss bear works pretty well. Don't have to worry about acceleration when a gauss slug out-accelerates every mech out there! Sure, you have to volley fire left and right torsos, but that's a small price to pay for packing around four gauss rifles.

Just, y'know...don't let a light get in and leg-hump you.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    This is starting to sound like my Dire Wolf.

Yep, all the other Assaults have the same loadouts and do it better.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The ballistic torso mounts on the Kodiac are pretty high, at least?

• Options
    Blood Asp has shoulder canons very literally.

This post brought to you by FUCK I SHOULD BE ASLEEP I HAVE A SCHEDULE TO KEEP

• Options

That is an advantage, but it's easy to overshoot the hill peek with the bad decel, and then moving back to cover can be difficult thanks to the glacial accel.

• Options
    Want an amazing DWF build? DWF-PRIME
    One of the comp players has been taking this into QP. Yes, it's a 100 pt double tap with no ghost heat.

• Options
    Want an amazing DWF build? DWF-PRIME
    One of the comp players has been taking this into QP. Yes, it's a 100 pt double tap with no ghost heat.

I now know what to do with my first Dire Wolf since I benched it for the UV. Thanks for this.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I swapped my UV to that build so I could run 8xAC/2 on my Prime.

• Options
    I swapped my UV to that build so I could run 8xAC/2 on my Prime.

Good point, I should do the same. Especially since people will assume the UV is the sandblaster till it is too late.

oosik_betsuni.png