As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Now with dungeons and/or dragons

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    fwautcxnfv74.png
    a10bxlcldfz1.png

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

White hatebear.

Front: 2W Legendary Creature - God. Flying, Vigilance. Snow lands opponent's control ETB tapped. Noncreature spells opponents cast with CMC 4 or greater cost (2) more to cast. 2/3.

Back: 3W Legendary Artifact. If a source an opponent controls would deal damage to you or a permanent you control, prevent 1 of that damage. Whenever you or another permanent you control is targeted by a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter it unless they pay (1).

On the one hand, this does something against basically any conceivable deck in existence except midrange big boys. On the other hand, it seems a little pricey for any of the effects, especially since the backside is a somewhat upgraded Amulet of Safekeeping for 1W more mana.

White hatebear.

Front: 2W Legendary Creature - God. Flying, Vigilance. Snow lands opponent's control ETB tapped. Noncreature spells opponents cast with CMC 4 or greater cost (2) more to cast. 2/3.

Back: 3W Legendary Artifact. If a source an opponent controls would deal damage to you or a permanent you control, prevent 1 of that damage. Whenever you or another permanent you control is targeted by a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter it unless they pay (1).

On the one hand, this does something against basically any conceivable deck in existence except midrange big boys. On the other hand, it seems a little pricey for any of the effects, especially since the backside is a somewhat upgraded Amulet of Safekeeping for 1W more mana.

Would Aether Vile let me play the backside of the card?

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    ZeroCow wrote: »

White hatebear.

White hatebear.

No, in your hand (and all zones besides the battlefield) only the creature side matters.

Even if you can flash the shield in, the counter-unless-they-pay part only triggers when something becomes a target of a spell or ability, i.e. when it's put on the stack and they choose the target. If the Shield isn't on the battlefield when they choose the target, it won't trigger.

You could flash it in to negate like, a Grapeshot or a million Deceiver Exarchs or something.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I did, but they called it Pillage and it's been around for 25 years.

Which is 6 years longer than Demolish so I don't think your story checks out.

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

White hatebear.

White hatebear.

No, in your hand (and all zones besides the battlefield) only the creature side matters.

Even if you can flash the shield in, the counter-unless-they-pay part only triggers when something becomes a target of a spell or ability, i.e. when it's put on the stack and they choose the target. If the Shield isn't on the battlefield when they choose the target, it won't trigger.

You could flash it in to negate like, a Grapeshot or a million Deceiver Exarchs or something.

I know about the pay trigger, but I was thinking about if it would be possible to cheat the artifact in by playing the creature with Vile.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options

White hatebear.

I know about the pay trigger, but I was thinking about if it would be possible to cheat the artifact in by playing the creature with Vile.

No. MDFCs that aren't cast (or played, if a land) always enter front-face up.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular

White hatebear.

I'm not sure how to articulate my disappointment it's not an actual bear

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Absorb 1 to your whole team is insanely good and aggressively costed at 4 mana. That it also tithes them for targeting you and your stuff is gravy on the poutine.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    is that supposed to be Tyr? or Brunhildr?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    An actual risk to playing snow covereds is good

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    okay sure, Giant tribal, whatever, but how do you feel about ANGEL TRIBAL
    firjaspunishment.jpg
    "Firja's Punishment"
    1WWB
    Enchantment - Saga
    I: Create a 4/4 Angel Warrior creature token with flying and vigilance.
    II: Until the end of turn, Angels you control gain "T: Destroy target creature with power less than the power of this creature."
    III: Angels you control gain double strike until the end of turn.

This is pretty awesome. If nothing else it's a 4/4 with flying and vigilance for 4. That next turn can tap to kill something, and the turn after can swing for 8. If you have other angels on the board? Yiiiiikes

Yorion with all these sagas is going to be so good.

Solar on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

it's Reidane

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

'Justice' with the Aesir? Doesn't really fit in Tyr's portfolio. Forseti is the Norse justice god but has very conciliatory vibes whilst Reidane is described as youthful and arrogant - a personality much like Sól the Norse sun goddess (which I guess makes sense for white).

• Options
    the thing about magic's gods is that they try to hit big iconic ones that people know, like Zeus and Thor and all that, and then they fill up the list with gods that more represent things people associate with the ancient people and the values they held. characters like Pharika, Phenax, Kruphix are gods that you can sort of bend and twist to fit the shape of existing mythological figures, but they're more unique creations that a designer may have pulled some visual inspiration from an existing figure from. the Amonkhet gods are a great example of this - they superficially resemble some of the Egyptian gods, but they generally don't represent the same things, because the general pop culture understanding of those gods has more to do with them having animal heads than it does their actual spheres

so likewise, when it comes to norse mythology, they are 100% going to hit Thor, Loki, and Odin....and then everything else is going to kind of resemble some aspects of norse mythology, but not cleanly just impose over top. if you asked me what reidane was inspired by, i would broadly just say "the public perception of valkyries and their role in the norse pantheon"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    so likewise, when it comes to norse mythology, they are 100% going to hit Thor, Loki, and Odin....and then everything else is going to kind of resemble some aspects of norse mythology, but not cleanly just impose over top. if you asked me what reidane was inspired by, i would broadly just say "the public perception of valkyries and their role in the norse pantheon"

Aye the whole valkyries as angels thing was added centuries later by Christian artists - original saga valkyries had chariots pulled by flying beasts or shapeshifting into swans

• Options
    oxtzes60ql2z.png

Snowvel Up

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    skemfaravenger.jpgpoisonthecup.jpginsearchofgreatness.jpg
    "In Search of Greatness"
    GG
    Enchantment
    At the beginning of your upkeep, you may cast a permanent spell from your hand with mana cost equal to 1 plus the highest converted mana cost among other permanent you control without paying the spell's mana cost. If you don't, scry 1.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Three pages late but I don't think anyone actually acknowledged how flipping insane a rate that Starnheim Unleashed is. Like fuck outta here, Broodmate Dragon.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Three pages late but I don't think anyone actually acknowledged how flipping insane a rate that Starnheim Unleashed is. Like fuck outta here, Broodmate Dragon.

Broodmate wouldn't be that great in current magic - no haste, no immediate value, can't profitably block all the 5/5s and 6/6s running around...

• Options
    valkyriessword1.jpgdraugrshelm.jpggiantsamulet1.jpg

these kickerquipments are an interesting design; the total cost for the token is pretty reasonable, but the equip costs are hefty enough that you'd almost never cast them without making the token, because it comes with a free equip. I guess the blue one is the most reasonable in terms of being an actual split-card.

• Options
    Hey what's the timing on Boast, because it checks whether a creature has attacked, right?

I'm not actually personally certain if a creature that is "attacking" counts as a creature that has "attacked", could you Boast during the combat step?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    oxtzes60ql2z.png

Snowvel Up

You could use the last part over and over

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Reasonably certain that once a creature has been declared an attacker, it has attacked and therefore you can boast before blockers.

• Options
    I used the power of google to answer my question
    Boast abilities can be activated during combat or even after combat—any time in the turn after the creature was declared as an attacker. Unfortunately, this means a creature entering the battlefield attacking won't allow it to boast . . . but if it is worthy enough, it will survive to attack in a future combat, and then you can sing of its deeds!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    could i have just googled it immediately, rather than googling it 2 minutes after i made a post? yes, of course. but then we wouldn't learn together.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    oxtzes60ql2z.png

Snowvel Up

And notably... that means the number of cards you draw keeps increasing. Though honestly a 6/6 flyer should already be closing a game out.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    just you wait, once you run out of 1/1 flyers, this thing will smack you for 18 damage and I'll draw seven cards!

• Options
    oxtzes60ql2z.png

Snowvel Up

Also hey check out Ikoria's "flying counter" technology being busted out on the qt.

• Options
    y9k8z7pkdnt0.jpg
    mg9kgm7l0ln5.png

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    the thing about magic's gods is that they try to hit big iconic ones that people know, like Zeus and Thor and all that, and then they fill up the list with gods that more represent things people associate with the ancient people and the values they held. characters like Pharika, Phenax, Kruphix are gods that you can sort of bend and twist to fit the shape of existing mythological figures, but they're more unique creations that a designer may have pulled some visual inspiration from an existing figure from. the Amonkhet gods are a great example of this - they superficially resemble some of the Egyptian gods, but they generally don't represent the same things, because the general pop culture understanding of those gods has more to do with them having animal heads than it does their actual spheres

You also see this creative philosophy in practice with Eldraine's legendary knights. There are bits of specific Knights of the Round Table in them, some Galahad here and some Mordred there, but they're all mixed up with each other to better fit the values of the five colors.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Star City Games is doing some playtesting for KHM. First up, Grixis Giants vs G/W Adventures. next is Sultai snow vs Abzan Elves.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    4e5tl0y7w2tr.png

Potentially free burn (even if it only hits creatures/planeswalkers at sorcery speed) that lets you bank mana through phases seems pretty good.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    That's adding snow mana as well, isn't it?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Polaritie wrote: »

EDIT: I"m dumb, yes snow cards add snow mana

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    At this time the official rules are that Snow mana is only from Snow Permanents, but people have speculated that all the reminder text on snow in this set only referencing "snow sources" may mean that's changing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Tbf pre kaldheim snow permanents add snow mana, they have/had to change the rules specifically to allow snow rituals.

Also, this common fucks:

pqw3iiudqcb61.png?width=265&auto=webp&s=095e2c0a44195f04bf7579b82c98e25d059ac76f

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I have a feeling that the "cast two spells in a turn" deck is going to want that one a lot.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I have a feeling that the "cast two spells in a turn" deck is going to want that one a lot.

I think most decks will find a 2-mana colorless 2/3 appealing. Not good for aggro but taking a hit T2 to have a better T3 boardstate isn't bad for midrange or slow limited decks.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

Tbf pre kaldheim snow permanents add snow mana, they have/had to change the rules specifically to allow snow rituals.

Also, this common fucks:

pqw3iiudqcb61.png?width=265&auto=webp&s=095e2c0a44195f04bf7579b82c98e25d059ac76f

*its harvest timing intensifies*

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.