As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Polaritie wrote: »
    the astrays aren't from the anime, they're from a spinoff... manga I think
    I have strong opinions about seed, in that I think the suits from the anime are all lame except the basic-ass strike gundam and the bad guy grunt suits, but I know others like them a lot. Personal taste and all.

The astrays definitely make for cool models, either way.

Well, strictly speaking the basice astray is from SEED. The spinoff stuff is all heavily customized ones or something, right?

is it? I am not an expert on seed for sure but I thought the astrays were all made up whole-cloth in the spinoff, I don't remember a basic astray in the anime at all. I think they were supposed to be a reverse-engineered version of the strike gundam.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    SEED is bad, so you can skip that one.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    is it? I am not an expert on seed for sure but I thought the astrays were all made up whole-cloth in the spinoff, I don't remember a basic astray in the anime at all. I think they were supposed to be a reverse-engineered version of the strike gundam.

Had to look it up - the spinoff is making up the prototypes, which is odd... since the Astray in the anime is presented as the new model being developed based on Gundam data. And is very clearly in development still - they want Kira to stay and help finish them. I don't think they ever reach any real mass production stage before the end of the series.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah the exception to "all grades have inner skeletons except HG" is older Master Grade kits don't have skeletons.
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Oh that Astray Red is fucking COOL LOOKING. I think I know what I'm doing for my next kit, thanks @Heffling !

EDIT: Wait what the fuck, the Wing Zero kit you mentioned has a flight mode? Is that thing a god damn transformer!?!?

there's several gundams with a transforms-into-a-plane gimmick, BUT! Gundam transformations are usually sort of lame compared to your macross valkyries or transformers, especially the Gundam Wing transforming suits which are largely "lay it on its stomach and spread the wings on the backpack out, and attach the shield to cover the head and look like a nose cone" and in my opinion look kinda lame from any angle but above.

They just never draw it from unflattering angles in the show.

Awww, the preview glory shot made it look so much cooler than that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah the exception to "all grades have inner skeletons except HG" is older Master Grade kits don't have skeletons.
    Oh that Astray Red is fucking COOL LOOKING. I think I know what I'm doing for my next kit, thanks @Heffling !

EDIT: Wait what the fuck, the Wing Zero kit you mentioned has a flight mode? Is that thing a god damn transformer!?!?

there's several gundams with a transforms-into-a-plane gimmick, BUT! Gundam transformations are usually sort of lame compared to your macross valkyries or transformers, especially the Gundam Wing transforming suits which are largely "lay it on its stomach and spread the wings on the backpack out, and attach the shield to cover the head and look like a nose cone" and in my opinion look kinda lame from any angle but above.

Wave Rider modes are like that.

Check out the Gundam Delta Kai. It doesn't smoothly transform, but it is pretty sweet in both modes.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Had to look it up - the spinoff is making up the prototypes, which is odd... since the Astray in the anime is presented as the new model being developed based on Gundam data. And is very clearly in development still - they want Kira to stay and help finish them. I don't think they ever reach any real mass production stage before the end of the series.

Basically, prototypes get made, get stolen, end up in various third party hands, which leads to the Astray manga and those OVA shorts. Development continues and an Astray is created and rolled out in low numbers. Kind of a like Gundam Mk2 kind of deal. Not a wide spread suit but not unique either.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The Astray frame was introduced in Gundam Seed as the mass produced mobile suit which was just developed by the Orb Union. It was supposed to be a really good suit, but in the show it ends up being a punching bag that dies in waves. Keep in mind that Seed is in a lot of ways a reboot of the Gundam UC franchise with a greater focus on characters. In this vein, the Seed Astray manga retcons the Astray suits to have had 5 original prototypes (just like the RX-78-2 AND the Strike did) that had superior tech which was mostly stripped to make the mass produced Astrays. I forget the exact details, but the colony or ship or whatever that had the suits was destroyed and they were scavenged by various organizations.

The 5 suits are:
    Astray Red Frame - Sword wielding version looted by the Junkers Guild.
    Astray Blue Frame - Ranged weapon suit used by a merc unit.
    Astray Green Frame - Lost in the crash.
    Astray Mirage Frame - Purple unit with stealth tech. I don't know much about this one, other than it introduced the "mirage colloid" tech.
    Astray Gold Frame - Later rebuilt into the Amatsu Mina along with the right arm from the Duel Gundam.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Heffling wrote: »
    The Astray frame was introduced in Gundam Seed as the mass produced mobile suit which was just developed by the Orb Union. It was supposed to be a really good suit, but in the show it ends up being a punching bag that dies in waves. Keep in mind that Seed is in a lot of ways a reboot of the Gundam UC franchise with a greater focus on characters. In this vein, the Seed Astray manga retcons the Astray suits to have had 5 original prototypes (just like the RX-78-2 AND the Strike did) that had superior tech which was mostly stripped to make the mass produced Astrays. I forget the exact details, but the colony or ship or whatever that had the suits was destroyed and they were scavenged by various organizations.

The 5 suits are:
    Astray Red Frame - Sword wielding version looted by the Junkers Guild.
    Astray Blue Frame - Ranged weapon suit used by a merc unit.
    Astray Green Frame - Lost in the crash.
    Astray Mirage Frame - Purple unit with stealth tech. I don't know much about this one, other than it introduced the "mirage colloid" tech.
    Astray Gold Frame - Later rebuilt into the Amatsu Mina along with the right arm from the Duel Gundam.

Apparently Heliopolis. So, you know, there were an additional five Gundam prototypes there that nobody knew about or tried to use to defend the colony, or anything. It's why I think their whole retcon to add them is a hack job.

And yes, they spend a bunch of time on the completion of the Astray suits, and then the series ends by killing almost everyone off anyways. The final two episodes are just gratuitous about it and it gets kind of ridiculous. Hanging plot thread? Just kill them and it's dealt with, right?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I think I've mentioned my love for the Astray before. Here's the proof:

bRHuMvk.jpg

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Wave Rider modes are like that.

Check out the Gundam Delta Kai. It doesn't smoothly transform, but it is pretty sweet in both modes.

Holy shit that's rad. *adds to wish list*

Thanks!

wWuzwvJ.png
    Hanging plot thread? Just kill them and it's dealt with, right?

It's the gundam tradition!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I should've been in bed two hours ago.

After a bit of an interruption, I was able to wrestle on the other arm. Only took like 30 minutes to get everything wired right and cleaned up to my satisfaction...

The completion of the arm did finish off one of the sticker sheets, so I thought it would be cool to see how it was "reverse" - the sticky side being colored for some of them.

RqGt6Oml.jpg

3s5Czdol.jpg

So after getting the arm hooked up... It was time for the head.

Naturally the first thing I do is the most careful, gentle panel lining I've EVER done. After all, the crest just didn't look right.

Esiy4b9l.jpg

The outside I wasn't as concerned with though.

eFhjYb3l.jpg

I should've stopped. But I got everything so close... that I was like.. time to assemble. And so...

1dtbJhIl.jpg

Fm3ifh9h.jpg

pUxXjTQh.jpg

Oh. Wait. That's not right...

g5UAIQJh.jpg

Yes....

a18YPxoh.jpg

YES......

EugKN27h.jpg

YYEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!

He's not done. He needs a backpack. And a beam rifle. And a Bazooka. And 3 shields. And 6 gatling guns. And the entirety of the Full Armor pack.

But damn if he doesn't strike a pose.

RcQBeE9h.jpg

But for now... He has to rest.

c7jxLHhh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hell yes, nicely done.

Also you made me realize I must've goofed on mine, because I definitely had some of those metallic stickers left over...

Oh brilliant
    Well I have a whole sheet left, so...

Also I didn't put any on the top crest because why would I want to do that?

The super reflective stickers go into the front and back skirts of the waist, the front and back of the shoulder armor... and then if you install the LED kit, the four big squares wrap the arm LEDs so that the gray isn't visible and to help reflect light inside.

SEED is bad, so you can skip that one.

I don't think Seed is bad. It takes on the original MS Gundam storyline and tries to make it a more character focused show, and it does this well. It's far from perfect, but that doesn't make it bad.

Now, Seed Destiny, the follow up to Seed, is not only bad, but it's the worst Gundam franchise I've watched.

OG gundam felt character focused in exactly the same way to me, if I am understanding what you mean by that correctly. I do agree that seed destiny is way worse though.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I never did watch Endless Waltz - was saving it for the Wing Zero Ver Ka build and then just... forgot.

Never finished The Origin either, think I got up to the colony scene, got sad and quit. If I liked Wing and 00, is Seed likely up my alley?

Oh brilliant
    Between helping out the family and getting caught up in a vTuber playing through one of my new favorite games, I didn't get as much building done today as I wanted. But that's okay... I got the important part done.

ANexSghh.jpg

The backpack's one of those places where the Destroy mode just bleeds out everywhere. I think technically those two extra beam sabers are only deployed in Destroy mode, and when they are they open up giant cavities of the inner psychoframe. It's not like this model was hiding its psychoframe from most people. :)

It also features the easiest LED wiring connection.

bJGN7jDh.jpg

Here's the destroy mode...

eFzethEh.jpg

and unchained. A couple more panels slide out, apparently the side boosters adjust in position and get more flared? Not sure. It's a very subtle difference.

QUn8U6xh.jpg

But of course... Need to mount it.

6prZkAph.jpg

And then prepare for Newtype-Destroy.

oHOVjZih.jpg

FuRVNinh.jpg

MlI9E3Dh.jpg

(Beam saber graciously donated by the MG ZZ Gundam because I haven't cut Unicorn's off its sprues yet).

This marks exactly 2 weeks since I started. Not a bad turnaround! Definitely shorter than Perfect Strike, where I photographed every step in the manual. The accessories are probably going to take me at least 3-4 more days, if not longer. And then there's the decal sheet. That will likely take me into next month.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Accessories!

One beam rifle, one bazooka, and 2 gatling cannons (of 6/10) done. Also the ammo for the two former.

I won't lie. I'm not thrilled with how the gatling optics turned out. With my metallic green marker, it's a very solid pigment that is very striking. But the red is.. much thinner? Like I applied a ton of paint, and I know I have it mixed well, but it just... doesn't coat all that great, or look all that great. Not sure what is going on. I'm sure no one will notice but me, but... meh. Still a bit disappointing.

JmUOU9eh.jpg

Still, the rest turned out well. I was debating not doing the bazooka "stock," knowing the full armor kit was coming. But I did want at least some pictures of the default Final Battle Unicorn before I gave him his extra set of toys.

aTXre1Yh.jpg

The gatling cannons are sufficiently easy to put together, and hide their nub marks well so I can be a liiiitle less careful with cleaning up some bits of it.

NU2lM7gh.jpg

And the beam rifle is just a beauty. I wish its ammo would stick together better, mostly for the extra clip, but that's okay.

sEAjCd6h.jpg

gUM2knYh.jpg

I do find it interesting how the fully stowed version of the bazooka has the ammo clip to the skirt.

zkuijafh.jpg

But hey. This is likely the only time the bazooka is going to be on the stand once the full armor setup gets going. :)

XvzAdzKh.jpg

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    USAGS is doing a weekend sale on preorders, so i put in my order for the Xi gundam

and then the gundam mk V is probably gonna be in the next PBUS batch, looks like 2021 is gonna be big boy season

uc3ufTB.png
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Currently thinking about making some decisions using that preorder code.

In other news, I put in an order the other day for the USAGS knockoff godhands, a new knife, some random marker colors I needed and that Zakrello Haro kit as a nice cool down from this RG Unicorn and my next project which will be a little more... perfect.

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Finished another kit!

Edit: that is dope as hell, BahamutZERO

Curly_Brace on
    edited January 2021
    Part 1 is done!!!

The morning was taken up with many, many gauss cannons. Kinda got meditative there by the end, but it was cool to see how they came through.

c5s25wvh.jpg

The shields are BIG. Like... way bigger than I was expecting. Given that the Banshee and Phenix are in my future... OOOOooo boy.

3LslMluh.jpg

But let's be honest... here's the real value of this kit. A true, one of a kind ACTION BASE 1!!! In transparent speckles no less!

yGMjeE2h.jpg

(It doesn't stand up to the weight very well - this will get worse over time.)

9AThdBZh.jpg

So much.... much later... this marks the completion of the PG's build!

JiQjldyh.jpg

bbtiqYTh.jpg

RG is very jealous of the stand. .... and the working arm. And the ability to easily display the shields as if it were going to stop a colony killer beam. In retrospect, I'm fairly okay that it doesn't light up, though it wouldn't be too hard to imagine putting some LED button lights on there and illuminating the shields.

EU1eDL4h.jpg

But... yeah! Part 1 done!

Next up is the Full Armor kit. Should be able to knock that out in a day or two. depending on if I build the two additional shields.

And then is decaling. Oh god... the decals. They put Ver. Ka to shame.

But for now, I'm going to take a small break/detour and work on a MUCH easier kit. Lego, baby!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    Did a quick little build over the weekend:

yqkfmvoy06w3.jpeg

Nice!

My store is doing pre-orders on a leo accessory kit that looked pretty cool for mass produced grunts. Might wanna look around for that?

Ooooooooohhhhh... Shit.

So as many of you know, I'm an avid collector of a lot of stuff. The first collections I got were Transformers. They were important to my childhood, really fun to play with, and had quite a shelf presence. Lately my Transformers buying has been waning, because I've "seen it all" and the Generations lines seem smaller than some of the other lines.

Now, there's a line of model kits out there based on Transformers. The Flame Toys Furai line. I've never bought any of these, because if I'm gonna get a transformer, it should.. well.. transform in some way. This is why I also am not buying any of the R.E.D. Action figures or other 3rd party statues.

However.. That is likely about to change.

One of my favorite Transformers that has sadly been underrepresented is the IDW design of Drift. It has a very sleek look, is armed to the teeth with swords, and just has that street racer feel to it. Last year, they produced a Furai model kit for him. I was sorely tempted, but I passed because I already had the transformer version of him.

.... Fuck I won't be able to resist this.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2021/01/18/flame-toys-furai-model-shattered-glass-drift-427438

Shattered Glass is the "mirror universe" version of Transformers, that started as a con/exclusive thing. The autobots are bad, the decepticons are good, etc.

140037214_1817757471721847_9217218314657038451_o.jpg

140089729_1817757488388512_7786480501641880915_o.jpg

Nice!

My store is doing pre-orders on a leo accessory kit that looked pretty cool for mass produced grunts. Might wanna look around for that?

From a quick search, my guess is this is the P-Bandai Full Weapon Set, which does look very nice. I'm trying really, really hard not to order any more kits at this point though!

MelonTron wrote: »
    Nice!

From a quick search, my guess is this is the P-Bandai Full Weapon Set, which does look very nice. I'm trying really, really hard not to order any more kits at this point though!

Ah, p-bandai, my bad sorry. Got confused because my store opened up a pre-order on short notice this weekend and things are blurring together.

Nice!

Ah, p-bandai, my bad sorry. Got confused because my store opened up a pre-order on short notice this weekend and things are blurring together.

No problem! It's cool you have a local store that's able to get this stuff. The only hobby store near me is nearly all planes and car models and such. They have a few Gunpla in the back, but it's always such a bizarre mix of stuff that I assume they are are just ordering kits at random.

• NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I built this guy earlier this month, but forgot to take any pictures.

HG Kyrios:
    5cPBHy4.jpg

Slg1qth.jpg

Edit: I forgot to add that I also just got the RG Nu Gundam and the Wing Zero Ver Ka in today as well.

Nytewarrior on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
    Nice!

No problem! It's cool you have a local store that's able to get this stuff. The only hobby store near me is nearly all planes and car models and such. They have a few Gunpla in the back, but it's always such a bizarre mix of stuff that I assume they are are just ordering kits at random.

My stores manager is an awesome guy who listens to our local building club when it comes to what to get in. I have promoted the stores online presence here a few times, but I don't like doing that because as much as I joke about being a shill, I don't want to actually be a shill.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I kind of beat up a reflective sticker on my MG Wing Zero Prototype and it'll haunt me for the rest of the days.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I kind of beat up a reflective sticker on my MG Wing Zero Prototype and it'll haunt me for the rest of the days.

Which one? I probably have an unused one from my build.

Edit: Looking in the box and I didn't even touch the foil sheet.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's one of the skinny ones you put on the green bits in the chest. It's not actually a huge deal I'm just one of those people who can only ever see the mistakes in what they're working on.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So I know I got a ace combat model on the eve of getting fired
    It's a lot of pictures and stuff so I am saving scroll space for people
    ds4w0unhd58s.png
    I did not put it together during my summer of unfun. I was looking something else up and found there was more
    I saw there was more of them but being made by two different companies
    Kotobukiya and Hasegawa
    I saw the adf-11f kit
    5hvp3wn29p3n.png
    But I cannot find it anywhere and the one person on youtube reviewing it it looks like the line panels are reversed? as they stickup?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFaaegH6gXM
    And it's snap together? as the kit I have for the one above is not a snap together it seems the kotobukiya ones are snap together and the hasegawa are not?
    I just want the ADF-11 for the drones as I think it's neat

That's not that many photos. =P

That is also extremely awesome. I never thought of getting jet models via Ace Combat...

This discussion has been closed.