As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PODCASTS] the backlog is real

never dienever die Registered User regular
Surprised there still wasn't one, so I decided to make one.

Still reeling from Ben Pack leaving Giant Bomb; I thought of all of the new hires he was there for the long haul. But it does sound like he had hit a breaking point being a public figure and all the bs that can come from that, so I'm glad he's taking care of himself.

Also getting caught up on Jay and Miles X-plain the X-Men, their winter special episode is huge.

Also staring at the Jon Huber (aka Brodie Lee aka Luke Harper) tribute episode that New Day Podcast did and wondering when I'll have the emotional energy for that.

What podcasts is everyone else listening to?

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I need to get back into Jay and Miles X-plain the X-Men.

But that podcast is dense.

It isn't what I would describe as a casual listen, so I need to find time when I can just listen to it with no other heavy distractions.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    been relistening to random old blank checks lately

it's very funny to me that they've been saying they're gonna do a king ralph episode for like 4 years now

at this point it feels like they need to just never do it but keep promising it

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Took care of like 75% of Harmony House’s yearly funding goal in one go. Last years Candlenights live show earned around $45k from what I’ve seen.

I’d be willing to bet they do this again next year even if they are able to do an in person live show.
    “Sydnee (McElroy) called me right after it aired and told me. I started sobbing and cried for the next two hours,” said Amanda Coleman, executive director of Harmony House. “I’m still not completely to the point of acceptance. It was a lot of fun to call others and share that news with them.”
    Last year, the event moved to the Keith-Albee Performing Arts Center. They raised $46,000 for Harmony House.

Coleman said because tickets were so inexpensive and it was online this year, she expected to raise maybe half of what they raised in 2019. Instead, the move worked in their favor.
    Huntington Herald Dispatch

It's been a long year, that was really nice to read.

Also, the John 3:16 joke in yesterday's episode was fantastic.

Narbus on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Travis did win a lot of points with going full in on pushing Ted Cruz into an open grave

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Listened to the BlankCheck on Used Cars and it was interesting hearing a deep dive on comedy films today and Jason Mantzoukas dropping his podcast act and being really genuine

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    That episode is fantastic for just that reason

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I need to get back into Jay and Miles X-plain the X-Men.

But that podcast is dense.

It isn't what I would describe as a casual listen, so I need to find time when I can just listen to it with no other heavy distractions.

For a long time it was my driving podcast, as I had easily a 45 minutes- 1hour drive home from work every day. It was easy to do it there as it was mostly inching along interstate traffic. Since the pandemic, finding time to listen has been much harder.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The thing that just kind of quietly sneaks into this week’s Bombcast is it seems like Jeff is the host again? Brad is on the show but Jeff is hosting anyway

Seems like a good repositioning for that show post-Ben

6F32U1X.png
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Anybody listen to It’s Going Down? Only heard about them recently. It’s a great leftist political podcast, definitely worth your time. The name I found a bit weird. It’s very thoughtful and in depth. You can tell the guests know what the fuck they’re talking about.

They recently had Dean Spade on. He talked a lot about mutual aid in communities, how these programs can be either ignored, co-opted, or eliminated by the state. He also talked about prison reform and trans rights and his work in those spaces as a lawyer.

They’re most recent ep has some really insightful leftist perspectives on the attempted coup and the implications for the left. The first probably 20 mins or so is a recital of what happened. If you’re extremely online chances you know it already and you can skip it

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    As someone who owns zero mcelroy merch, I would buy a "Ted Cruz Pees His Pants Because He Likes The Warm Feeling Between His Legs" t-shirt so fast.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    This MBMBAM is incredible, holy shit.

sig.gif
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    i am really enjoying a more civilized age, but i also am glad they're going with an every other week schedule

these are truly some five star run times

Daypigeon on
    every other week for a show with 130 episodes is going to take...a long time to get through

6F32U1X.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    How many episodes a show

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    How many episodes a show

An arc per show so 3 to 4 episodes.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Oh hell yeah, I missed Prop being on the show

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Rude tales
    Good Job!

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Rude tales
    Good Job!
    I love that *this* was what broke Branson Reese

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    holy shit the latest Reply All sucks ass

the unionbusting venture capitalist CEO of Gimlet comes in to scold Alex Goldman for feeling nihilistic about climate change because he started a podcast called "HOW TO SAVE A PLANET" about the things people are trying to do to mitigate it

and his arguments for why things don't have to be that bad is "renewable energy is really cheap now!" and "Tesla is the biggest car company!" and a bunch more "free market" bullshit

"you can do things about it! I started this podcast with my friend who changed her whole career (which was already being A PHD BIOLOGIST) to focus on it!"

they need to do several episodes on "why we should dunk Alex Blumberg's head in a toilet"

6F32U1X.png
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So every once awhile I realize I really like Rob Zacny. In the most recent From a Certain Point of View/A More Civilized Age Podcast, he goes into a very self-aware, “well actually” rant about the Witches of Dathomir that cracked me up real hard.

never die on
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Got really excited at the end of this latest Waypoint, when I realized Austin was possibly about to get into the "Let Me Tell You About Homestuck" podcast. Very weird energy there.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Got really excited at the end of this latest Waypoint, when I realized Austin was possibly about to get into the "Let Me Tell You About Homestuck" podcast. Very weird energy there.

yeah i choked on my drink when i heard that

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Ya'll make good stuff tho, and are pretty darn good at podcasts, so of course folk are going to get interested.

VayBJ4e.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    How many episodes a show

An arc per show so 3 to 4 episodes.

That's a pretty good pace. That's like, 1 1/2 - 2 years to get through Clone Wars, give or take for missed/break weeks.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    you should offer to come on as a homestuck expert speed

Not a joke btw I think that would be tremendous

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Has anyone bitten the bullet and listened to the chapter of Bob Evans' science fiction novel he put out on the Behind the Bastards feed, I am incredibly apprehensive

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    august wrote: »

So it was the same thing BioWare did- a belief they had a special skill that would make everything come together, and ground out their employees to meet that instead of facing reality.

pretty sure in Bioware's case the push was EA mandated; CD Projekt did it to themselves

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    From listening to various podcasts describe how they managed to get the game to run smoothly, it also sounds like they leaned super hard on nvidia's DLSS to get to reasonable performance on PC and then forgot that the consoles don't use recent nvidia cards.

never die wrote: »
    august wrote: »

So it was the same thing BioWare did- a belief they had a special skill that would make everything come together, and ground out their employees to meet that instead of facing reality.

Presumably while overworking and bleeding out the very talented people who DID make The Witcher 3 so special yeah.

sig.gif
    pretty sure in Bioware's case the push was EA mandated; CD Projekt did it to themselves

From what I remember, Anthem was 100% BioWare’s baby, they are the ones who worked for years without a viable focus, and then heavily crunched and focused on trying to get the game out in the last year expecting the “BioWare Magic” that had allowed stuff like Dragon Age: Inquisition to come together at the last moment.

And then it didn’t.

This doesn't actually mean anything. Bioware is just the name of one building owned by EA, the same way CD Projekt Red is the name of a building owned by CD Projekt. It's not the same relationship as say, Platinum working with Nintendo to make Bayonetta.

sig.gif
    I guess a better way to put it is there is no difference between how Bioware relates to EA and how, like, Ubisoft Montreal relates to Ubisoft. It's just one of their studios.

sig.gif
    789k4ruvqns4.jpeg

Yo fuck off. That is abusive, manipulative horseshit.

That first tweet is incredible. Anywhere else there'd be a process where you submit a request for it and somebody evaluates the need and approves it or not and says "hey we already have this" if necessary, before a single line of code is written.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.