As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What Is The Best Tim Curry [Movie]?

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's even better when you hear the translations - half of them keep his near-breaking while the other half try to fix it and play it straight:
    https://youtu.be/07bueLoJEqY

The Spanish guy literally chortles!

• TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Criterion spine #1022: The Prince of Tides

Here's a film I probably wouldn't have watched unless it was a Criterion release. Sometimes that's true in a good way, like 'oh, I hadn't heard of this and it seems interesting'. This isn't the case. I had heard of The Prince of Tides, a 1991 middle-brow Oscar player from Barbara Streisand about feelings and stuff. More specifically it's about a man from South Carolina who reluctantly participates in therapy when his sister attempts suicide.

This is definitely a 1991 awards player, hitting all the notes you'd expect from Hollywood in the 80s or 90s. It's got everything: nostalgic memories, rape, a syrupy score, getting a nerd to learn football, an improbable love story, a snobby violinist who dabs on Nolte by playing Dixie in his face, sensual ass-grabbing, shotgun violence, someone happily eating dog food, a gay man played by a straight comedian, and fucking in a beeswax candle-lit cabin. Stylistically it's not a whole lot better. Competent for the time, but pretty dated now. Pale to warm cinematography where everyone has a backlight and there's some scenic shots for pretty points. But while a lot of it is horseshit, it has a major caveat:

Nick Nolte carries the film on his shoulders. It's a role that could have been portrayed in broad, macho strokes, but Nolte does a great job internalizing his emotions underneath a cynical and charismatic exterior. It's strong work, especially so because even when the score is soaring and Babs is sucking on his nipple, he stays believable. Unfortunately he makes Streisand look like an amateur. I don't think she was ever that strong of an actor, but her instincts are all wrong for a wise therapist type. She's entirely too mannered towards faux-poise, with erratic blinking and a general nervousness she can't repress. Supporting performances, like Blythe Danner as Nolte's tired wife, or George Carlin as the gay friend are serviceable but stereotypical.

It's not very good, and not very good in a way that is pretty specific to the time it was made.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    knitdan wrote: »
    You forgot the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

So that is fucked up...

but, coincidentally, I was watching a supercut of Tim Curry as Darth Sidious in Clone Wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9x9CRUTL4

and I was like... wait... is Cad Bane played by Alan Rickman?

no, it's prolific voice actor Corey Burton. But FFFUUUUCCCCKKKK if that isn't a spot-on Alan Rickman underneath the audio aberration

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    It's even better when you hear the translations - half of them keep his near-breaking while the other half try to fix it and play it straight:

this is amazing

i fucking love this

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Cardinal Richelieu in The Three Musketeers
    Kruite wrote: »
    what about

https://youtu.be/QbfVZBsgC4s

*runs away*

jesus christ and all his carpenter friends, what is this?

I've been meaning to revisit Oscar, see if it's actually fun

From what I recall that trailer is just 90's trash voiceover, the movie wasn't that bad

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    wandering wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    It’s almost like I did it deliberately for a laugh and made an obvious allusion to doing so in the OP.

Rocky Horror is his most iconic role and probably the least interesting answer to the question, as it’s the most obvious. And quite possibly the right answer!
    Yeah I can understand why you wouldn’t want the single best, sexiest, longest running, and most culturally important film ever made to overshadow the other options

But Bogart included Muppet Treasure Island so I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Long John Silver in Muppet's Treasure Island
    Oshit, Dredd just got added to UK Netflix

I know what I'm watching this weekend

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

It's very good that they all made the attempt to chew the scenery as hard as Curry did. None of them succeeded, but you can hardly hold that against them.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C34NhrK6wIU

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    With Ray Fisher getting fired from The Flash and David O. Russell getting a new film set up at Disney, it feels like suddenly overnight we lost ten years of social progress in the industry

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Wadsworth in Clue
    Tim Curry in Brutal Legend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF0x5qFwEp4

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C34NhrK6wIU

Man I wanted this movie to succeed so bad, it's the only time I've ever gone out and bought the blu-ray, OST (which is really good) and just generally gone out of my way to support a movie with my wallet. It was just such a refreshing change to have some tight storytelling with relatable stakes. AFAIK it didn't do that great financially, and they auctioned off all the props with no plans to make another. :C

Casual on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/KBQT5YcIH6U

Tim Curry in a flawless disguise.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    It's only sad that Tim Curry was not in even more stuff while he was physically able.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Pennywise the Clown in Stephen King's IT
    Taramoor wrote: »

I still will answer the who is it with “wilderness girl cookies” and nobody ever gets the reference!

50433.png?1708759015
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    The best Tim Curry movie is the video game Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers.

I don't know, he has to rock a fake mustache made from cat hair and maple syrup in Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned.

Wow that movie looks like it’s much worse than I remember.

Is that the one with Emilio Estevez?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Cardinal Richelieu in The Three Musketeers

Wow that movie looks like it’s much worse than I remember.he cop who freaks out holding a gun because he shot someone.

I don't know, he has to rock a fake mustache made from cat hair and maple syrup in Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned.

Yup. And Samuel L. Jackson was his partner.

sig.gif
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    Loaded Weapon 1 is an incredible movie and I won't hear otherwise

"Sea monkies?"
    ".... they're piranha"

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    As far as I'm aware, the only film that actually acknowledges its gratuitous butt walk in the moonlight scene.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

I cannot, cannot thank you enough for bringing this into my life.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Wadsworth in Clue
    I only hesitated voting Clue because as great as Curry is it's the whole ensemble that makes that movie amazing.

But I still voted Clue.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    With Ray Fisher getting fired from The Flash and David O. Russell getting a new film set up at Disney, it feels like suddenly overnight we lost ten years of social progress in the industry

Well Ray Fisher was giving them bad publicity with demanding that a studio head should be fired, a studio exec that was hired after Justice League had bombed in theaters. Like what did he expect would happen? Especially since he was the actor with the thinnest resume on the entire film.

If you want to see it done right, look up the actor that was fired from Heroes because apparently Ali Larter is a racist bitch. Guy made sure to have all his bases covered and multiple people providing background sources. Based on that piece alone, Ali Larter is on my no watch list. David O. Russell is already on it.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    What? No one mentions the American Duos episode of Psych? That could be a series all on its own.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    What? No one mentions the American Duos episode of Psych? That could be a series all on its own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBIs8dUPHbM

Stabbity_Style.png
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Long John Silver in Muppet's Treasure Island
    Tim Curry in Legend made me uncomfortable

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue

Yeah, that devil definitely fucks. Like, a lot.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Yeah, that devil definitely fucks. Like, a lot.

His minions don't call him Big D for nothing.

Not to mention that he is clearly... horny.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    https://youtu.be/182FOv83WYg

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

I still will answer the who is it with “wilderness girl cookies” and nobody ever gets the reference!

I always went with "rrrrroooooooom service!"

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'm a fan of a falsetto "Housekeeping!" like David Spade does in Black Sheep.

I remember nothing else from that film other than "D-! I PASSED!" and "Fat man in a little coat~"

DarkPrimus on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Wow that movie looks like it’s much worse than I remember.he cop who freaks out holding a gun because he shot someone.

Yup. And Samuel L. Jackson was his partner.

Oh my lord. For me to flat out forget Samuel L. Jackson in a role, it must have been bad.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    Quite certain I can be satisfied only watching Tim Curry films for the remainder of my movie watching life.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I remember nothing else from that film other than "D-! I PASSED!" and "Fat man in a little coat~"

Fat GUY in a little coat.

And 'The bees the bees'. Tommy Boy / Black Sheep super-quotable, almost Austin Powers level.

Oddly in all my movies I somehow haven't ever (that I can recall) seen Clue. I really should probably correct that and I think my kid is old enough (10) to enjoy it.

Wadsworth in Clue
    zagdrob wrote: »

And 'The bees the bees'. Tommy Boy / Black Sheep super-quotable, almost Austin Powers level.

Oddly in all my movies I somehow haven't ever (that I can recall) seen Clue. I really should probably correct that and I think my kid is old enough (10) to enjoy it.

I still do the "what'd ya do?!" quote at work whenever somebody has an oopsie with a forklift.

And if you are going to show a 10 year old Clue, make sure you play the game at least once beforehand. It primes the pump, as they say.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2021
    Wadsworth in Clue
    Yeah, I specifically checked out Clue at the video store because I was all over the board game and hungry for more Clue-related content.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular

It starts pretty slow, I don't know how much patience your kid has but it might be a struggle.

Wadsworth in Clue

It starts pretty slow, I don't know how much patience your kid has but it might be a struggle.

That's why you try the boardgame first! Any kid that will sit through setup and rule explanation is the kind of kid that will appreciate it.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Pennywise the Clown in Stephen King's IT
    Watched Master and Commander tonight on Prime.

How are the books? I know there's 20/21 of the MF'ers; are they more 'action' or do they go into great and excruciating detail on the type and history of the hemp that was used to braid this particular rope?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Wadsworth in Clue
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Watched Master and Commander tonight on Prime.

How are the books? I know there's 20/21 of the MF'ers; are they more 'action' or do they go into great and excruciating detail on the type and history of the hemp that was used to braid this particular rope?

Honestly, it's neither, really. They're not action-packed rollercoasters (except sometimes when they are) but they're also not like Moby Dick or whatever you might be imagining.

It's basically, here are these two characters: Aubrey, a genius at sea and kind of the rollicking ideal of British masculinity but also a bit of a well-meaning oaf on land, and Maturin, a humanist scientist-philosopher with a fiery artistic temperament, a gift for bitchiness and self-sabotage, and who is also (this did not come up in the movie) a spy and level 99 assassin. And then we take these two characters and we stick them in a situation. Sometimes the situation is an awkward dinner party with a lady one of them wants to bone and the other wants to get secret information out of, sometimes it's trying to bail out crewmen who got drunk on shore and locked up in the town jail, sometimes it's epic sea battles or chases halfway around the world, sometimes it's pulling off heists and capers. One time it's escaping across France, on foot, with Aubrey wearing a taxidermy bear costume.

Each of the books has very different energies and starting with either 2 or 3, they flow seamlessly one into the next. An individual novel is just kind of a stopping place rather than a conclusion; a given book might begin with Jane Austen romance and carriage shit, then become a murder mystery in London, then turn into a sea adventure, then end with them shipwrecked in the South Seas. Then the next book might pick up with them doing the Robinson Crusoe thing, getting rescued, ending up in India, and having to help hunt a man-eating tiger to settle a bet. Stuff is always happening, but it's always kind of...to give these two characters something to react to. Their back-and-forth is the heart of the series. If a battle or action scene isn't important from a character point of view, it is disposed of in a page, but a different battle might take up almost an entire book.

Also, there's no laborious exposition, but that doesn't mean they're like, easy reads or dumbed down or anything. What O'Brien does is create a sense of total immersion. People speak in the dialect of their day with basically no concessions made to the modern reader aside from not doing any affected ye olde-style spelling or punctuation (so there's None of the Random Capitalization of Yore to Bedevil the Senses). But characters talk about the issues of the day - political, military, scientific, philosophical - with total fluency, they make complicated puns in multiple languages (or in Jack's case, hilarious malaprops, assuming you can read French or German), reference incredibly obscure-to-us artists and composers, and of course on top of all this is the incredibly complex nature of a ship and all the associated jargon and specialized concepts that go with it.

The story never stops to explain any of this, which is why each volume is surprisingly slim (only 300 pages on average), but you'll be hitting Wikipedia a lot. Like a lot. O'Brien isn't writing for a modern audience, but for an audience from 1810 and if you can't keep up his attitude is like "lol go fuck yourself."

rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.