As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam]-heim. Valhalla has no backlogs.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    That was disheartening... got to the final boss of One Step From Eden with tons of HP, two revivals, lots of shields, and still got stomped to oblivion.

Remember that you can skip taking cards.

My advice is to focus on a specific build based on the early stuff you get (or force things with brand selection). Doublelift has some complete nonsense if you can get Jam Slam and Skewer/Railgun.

(Although, just stuffing a deck full of accurate good stuff that's cheap can work, although I feel that's more applicable to a different boss route that really rewards big AoE)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    That was disheartening... got to the final boss of One Step From Eden with tons of HP, two revivals, lots of shields, and still got stomped to oblivion.

My advice is to focus on a specific build based on the early stuff you get (or force things with brand selection). Doublelift has some complete nonsense if you can get Jam Slam and Skewer/Railgun.

(Although, just stuffing a deck full of accurate good stuff that's cheap can work, although I feel that's more applicable to a different boss route that really rewards big AoE)

I was considering that, but then I miss out on the 'does damage based on amount of spells in the deck' stuff...

wVEsyIc.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I went without power for a bit over 3 days two or three winters ago and it sucked. Lots of "recharge the tablet/phone in the car" time and "fuck I'm sick of PB sammiches." You have my sympathy.

Throwing away all the food from the freezer/fridge sucked too.
    I've always tried to keep an emergency stock of food and other supplies on-hand that will last for a specific period of time, just in case. I decided to beef my stores up over the past few days just in case society temporarily implodes next week, one piece of advice I can give you is to go to the grocery store and grab a bunch of those roughly rectangular shaped gallons of drinking water (the ones that cost around $0.80 a piece and look like this:)

7tJMxM2.jpg

draining a few inches of water from them, and then putting them in your freezer (filling up as much space as possible (depending on how much food you normally keep in your freezer, obviously) without interrupting airflow from the rear). This works a lot better if you have an over/under fridge and freezer instead of a side by side. A full freezer requires less energy to keep cold, and when the power goes out your food will stay cold for significantly longer because your freezer has a bunch of giant ice blocks in it. I do the same thing with 20oz bottles of water if I get one while I'm out and end up taking the empty bottle home, the small bottles can fill gaps fairly easily. An additional upside is that if there is ever a disaster (or even a particularly bad cold snap or storm where your pipes freeze and burst) and you suffer complete loss of utilities than you have a few extra gallons of drinkable water lying around.

What's the best post-apocalyptic game on Steam?

I was considering that, but then I miss out on the 'does damage based on amount of spells in the deck' stuff...

Deck slam isn't bad, but on a realistic level it probably tops out at 10-12 cards. After a point you've got too much chaff going.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I went without power for a bit over 3 days two or three winters ago and it sucked. Lots of "recharge the tablet/phone in the car" time and "fuck I'm sick of PB sammiches." You have my sympathy.

Throwing away all the food from the freezer/fridge sucked too.
    I've always tried to keep an emergency stock of food and other supplies on-hand that will last for a specific period of time, just in case. I decided to beef my stores up over the past few days just in case society temporarily implodes next week, one piece of advice I can give you is to go to the grocery store and grab a bunch of those roughly rectangular shaped gallons of drinking water (the ones that cost around $0.80 a piece and look like this:)

7tJMxM2.jpg

draining a few inches of water from them, and then putting them in your freezer (filling up as much space as possible (depending on how much food you normally keep in your freezer, obviously) without interrupting airflow from the rear). This works a lot better if you have an over/under fridge and freezer instead of a side by side. A full freezer requires less energy to keep cold, and when the power goes out your food will stay cold for significantly longer because your freezer has a bunch of giant ice blocks in it. I do the same thing with 20oz bottles of water if I get one while I'm out and end up taking the empty bottle home, the small bottles can fill gaps fairly easily. An additional upside is that if there is ever a disaster (or even a particularly bad cold snap or storm where your pipes freeze and burst) and you suffer complete loss of utilities than you have a few extra gallons of drinkable water lying around.

What flavor of apocalypse are you after? Nuclear? Zombie? Social collapse? Demons? Real world or fantasy world?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

i-qsQrF9k-X3.jpg

What flavor of apocalypse are you after? Nuclear? Zombie? Social collapse? Demons? Real world or fantasy world?

mtaaw7dfcfyu.jpg

I want cities that have been reclaimed by nature.

edited January 2021

mtaaw7dfcfyu.jpg

Cities reclaimed by nature, you say? Horizon Zero Dawn is the most obvious answer here.

Reaching back a bit, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West had that. And Elex somewhat more recently. All good.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular

mtaaw7dfcfyu.jpg

Horizon Zero Dawn is the most obvious answer here.

Reaching back a bit, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West had that. And Elex somewhat more recently. All good.

Having just finished Enslaved very recently, I can vouch for it being a good option here.

steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    :cool:
    9979B950801D69B1C19ADA392FB762D12BC4ABC8

Super broken shield deck FTW.

wVEsyIc.png
    :cool:
    9979B950801D69B1C19ADA392FB762D12BC4ABC8

Super broken shield deck FTW.

You haven't seen anything until you've used Reva's second loadout.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    THE POWER IS BACK ON!!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Addendum for Eden, now that you've gotten a clear - the other outcomes on reaching that point in the game:
    Are based on whether you spare people.
    Specifically, whether you spare everyone, kill everyone, or do a mix gets you a different final boss. Also, I strongly suggest saving kill everyone for last.

Also, there's something traditional to roguelikes you can do.
    The shopkeeper is an optional boss fight and she's stronger the more money you've given her.

Polaritie on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    THE POWER IS BACK ON!!

AND MY COMPUTER IS WORKING AGAIN!!

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What's kthe best post-apocalyptic game on Steam?

i-qsQrF9k-X3.jpg

It really is a good game, too. Vehicle combat is just batshit fun. Ground combat isn't as fun, but it's basically Arkham's control system with a less agile and more brutal character.

As far as cities reclaimed by nature, in Mad Max the biosphere died before civilization but sand dunes are nature, right? Driving through the buried airport terminal is creepy as fuck.

Hevach on
    Oh shit, I forgot about Enslaved. I pocked that up forever ago but never played it. Thank you guys for reminding me. I also own Madmax, I should fire that up too.

If anyone else is on the same wavelength but wants something with no combat than Submerged is pretty solid. It's basically a walking/climbing/boating simulator through a busted up city that is half underwater. The $20 pricetag is pretty steep for what it is though. Definitely the sort of game you want to put on your wishlist and pick up for $10 during a sale.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

mtaaw7dfcfyu.jpg

Cities reclaimed by nature, you say? Horizon Zero Dawn is the most obvious answer here.

And if you suddenly have an itch for a Stardew Valley-like game, My Time at Portia would technically qualify.

steam_sig.png
    @Karoz classaulted me while I was getting back into the saddle in Red Dead Redemption 2 now I figured out what was making my PC sick:
    20U7ape.jpg

Thanks for the belated bday present, buddy <3

6YAcQE8.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Look at me.

I'M THE POWER NOW

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    My fucking internet is down. Again.

Addendum for Eden, now that you've gotten a clear - the other outcomes on reaching that point in the game:
    Specifically, whether you spare everyone, kill everyone, or do a mix gets you a different final boss. Also, I strongly suggest saving kill everyone for last.

The shopkeeper is an optional boss fight and she's stronger the more money you've given her.

Yeah, I gathered that from some guides I read. I took a shot at the Neutral boss by accident and got utterly clocked(that last attempt prior).

wVEsyIc.png

Yeah, I gathered that from some guides I read. I took a shot at the Neutral boss by accident and got utterly clocked(that last attempt prior).

That one strongly rewards AoE spells. You can actually completely prevent it from fighting back with enough firepower.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I enjoyed max gentlemen, sexy business.

Played its jokes straight, it's characters queer

Didn't out stay its welcome

Now, let us dual with tigers, like civilized people

oqb7bg1vr964.png

@JaysonFour decided I needed some tavern elves.

To be fair, when does one not need tavern elves?

Thanks! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Best post-apocalypse game? Fallout: NV. With mods, you can play forever. If you play one Fallout game EVER, it should be New Vegas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el3hEQCnFyc

edited January 2021
    FONV is bad though. :razz:

(and definitely not even in the same league as something like HZD)

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~

1237917779613a.jpg?1284764479

6YAcQE8.png
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    yg6f7d4mo288.jpg
    Thanks @EvmaAlsar for Empires II: Definitive Edition! <3<3<3

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    It's no Fallout 4, that's for sure.

steam_sig.png
    I mean yeah, that's a take. :P

In terms of writing you get a really great cross section of people from all walks of life, politics, religion. How the world has changed and how it's stayed the same. People argue to this day over which of the faction endings, or a Courier led independence, is the best choice. And of course, mods continue to make everything better.

I've done hyping for Fallout: The Frontier for years now, and I couldn't be happier its out now. Now I just need to get that GPU of mine fixed....

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    We need Fallout: New Zealand. For the acronym.

Fallout allows you to have fantastic conversations:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqZb6X2BJs

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I mean, I agree with you on both points, but I feel like it's not the most popular opinion here.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Bit late to the party, but apropos for all the FONV talk, the best thing I played in 2020 that was from 2020 is going to Wasteland 3.

Still plenty of old-timey PC RPG jank, and I did back it on Fig so weigh my opinion accordingly, but beneath the tighter presentation and better tactical gameplay, there's a remarkable improvement in the writing and quest design. The game establishes a sliding scale of reactions to lawbreakers early on, where you can be lenient, extort them, hand them over to the transparently brutal Marshals, or take them into custody yourselves, and you're presented with some genuinely complicated decisions. Planning where to put a rocket is easy; deciding whether a guy wronged by Colorado justice deserves to go free after he gets a lot of people killed is not. Likewise the game's critical objectives can be utterly failed and the game just keeps on truckin', depending on whether you can live with the consequences.

They also put quite a bit of effort into worldbuilding, and everything feels more considered and a part of the setting. It's superficially silly to have a gang of Spanish-speaking clown raiders fighting guys in wolfmen masks and letterman jackets, but each bunch of weirdos has their own internal logic and it's reflected in how they fight. Creating a cult based on Ronald Reagan is a political minefield, but the writing makes it clear they know exactly what they're doing, from throwaway comments ("Reagan bless this arms deal!" says a cheery weapons vendor before initiating a sale) to the underlying dilemma with their 'God-President'. There's even a nice mystery element as you investigate your supposed benefactor, the Patriarch, and can optionally listen to someone feeding you information about his supposed crimes. Whether they're trustworthy and he's dirty, whether you ignore it, whether you dig it all up but pragmatically stick to the deal - it's all up to you.

The finale builds on this complexity in ways I appreciate, and while it's not executed perfectly, there's a respectable degree of nuance in what happens. Without going into details, the people you recruit, not just your party members, will have opinions about certain events and what hand you've had in them. If you want revolution, it's there. If you want law and order, it's there too. But the game does not blink when it asks how far you're willing to go, and whose bodies you'll have to step over to make it happen; it gets harder when they have names and stories you've personally seen unfold. There's peace to be found, too, but you have to think hard, and think long-term, about what that's going to take.

With that said, the game never gets too dark, either. It allows itself to be consistently weird in fun little ways, and shows a lot of care and craft in its making. One of your skills lets you tame various animals to fight for you, and circumstances might pair you with other AI friendlies that follow you around. My current party has a cat in a ranger hat, a wolf, a cybernetic chicken, a disco ball on tank treads, and a gunslinger in a white suit that only speaks Latin for some reason. Incidental text is often cheeky without being obnoxious ("It cannot be overstated how important it is to point the rocket launcher at the enemy,") and a lot of effort went into animating and giving expressions to the rare face-to-face conversations. Acting is also weirdly good for a game with very few household names in it, and it feels like the VA all had a skilled director to work with.

On top of all this, it has some Divinity: Original Sin-style multiplayer, where you create 2 PCs and your MP buddy controls the second one, with your party split between the two of you. It's not quite as creative as D:OS (your PCs won't ever bicker, for instance) but works about as well, with players able to access each others' dialogue and non-combat skills as long as that half of the party is close enough. Saves created in singleplayer can be used for MP and vice versa, and it's fun to have someone along who might not make the same decisions you do. There's definitely more jank to it - my co-op buddy reports that some doors don't appear to open even though we're passing through them - but it's been mostly stable and we haven't crashed yet, knock on wood.

I made a video/review (about 30m) focusing on one quest in particular, wherein you kill Santa Claus (long story); mostly showing how the game works, highlighting certain features, and making a few nitpicks. There are definitely issues and things it could've done better, in some cases a lot better, but overall it was one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time. The original Wasteland was a foundational title for me, a cornerstone of my early gaming years, and I'm very pleased to see it still kept alive and relevant some 30 years later. It might look like a relic as far as games go, but it rewards creativity and its morality isn't binary; it invites you think carefully whether taking a shot or clicking on a line of dialogue. Give it a look if TRPGs, post-apocalyptia, or especially both are your thing :+1:

If nothing else, it's worth it for a somber country cover of Wang Goddamn Chung's "Everybody Have Fun Tonight". This has no right to work as well as it does.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I mean, I agree with you on both points, but I feel like it's not the most popular opinion here.

It's not at all, which is why I have fun with it every time FONV comes up. :lol:

I think it's okay, and Obsidian is fairly good at what they do, but they are not good at what Bethesda does (open world environmental storytelling), which is what I play a Bethesda game for. So the game feels lifeless to me, and suffers from shoehorning Obsidian's game into Bethesda's toybox.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    I got a chance to try out Star Wars: Vader Immortal with my friend's Oculus and holy ****. That was a next-gen experience I tell you whuat. I did my little, limited saber training from college and it worked like magic. I'd love to try a boxing or martial arts game.

In ten years people will be checking out to the Matrix, and I'll probably stop by now and then to play poker or CoD: World War IV or something.

• OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    @Isorn has apparently not learned his lesson yet and has convinced @EvmaAlsar to meet an innocent friend request with a gift.
    px421w8jca7z.png
    Thank you Evma for Kentucky Route Zero!

• IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Turns out sometimes people do listen to Mal when he tries this. @Orivon and his list is far too dangerous. Thanks a lot. <3<3
    o9ouhtc82z7x.jpg

This discussion has been closed.