As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WgNde9JLhDE

I guess it could be of some use in construction, but it still seems like it would ed-209 itself down a flight of stairs or similar uneven declines

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Don't even bother me until it's got a beamsaber and a rocket pod

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I don’t see how this could possiblie go wrong

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Has Musk figured out yet all his tech is just shitty versions of trains

Don't build charging infrastructure build actual public transit like a train

one of my favorite things is when silicon valley reinvents the bus every year or two.

Philly swapped trolly busses for busses with batteries so heavy they broke the frames immediately and like you already had the wires hung you where searching for a problem cause the solution works to good

Now they have no electric busses good job tech bros

So the tech bros literally failed the trolley problem? A little bit too on the nose

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It reminds me of that forklift robot walking by during the tram ride at the beginning of Half-Life.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Don't even bother me until it's got a beamsaber and a rocket pod
    Or a chainsaw hidden betwixt it's legs.

sig.gif
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    I don’t see how this could possiblie go wrong

It does look like the sort of robot that could be defeated by a disposable camera's flash, agreed.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    That’s clearly just a mecha bunger.
    https://youtu.be/Irzay0hSqD8

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Has Musk figured out yet all his tech is just shitty versions of trains

Don't build charging infrastructure build actual public transit like a train

one of my favorite things is when silicon valley reinvents the bus every year or two.

Philly swapped trolly busses for busses with batteries so heavy they broke the frames immediately and like you already had the wires hung you where searching for a problem cause the solution works to good

Now they have no electric busses good job tech bros

I’m very angry about what they did with the trolley infrastructure in philly generally. Trolley busses with small batteries to route around problems on the line fix all the problems septa has with trolleys while still being super quiet and better for the environment.

And we had the infrastructure! And tore it all out.

https://youtu.be/5o7DHYmk0gw

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    does anyone know a decent place to find headphone reviews by people who aren't lunatics? i'm currently using a set of senheiser hd 598SEs which have served me well for like 6 years now but they're starting to wear out. i'm looking for something similar, open back, light and comfortable for use all day at a computer. but it's been very difficult to find reviews and comparisons in the range i'm looking for, it's either audiophile gear for thousands of dollars, or gamer grade stuff which i don't have much interest in.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited January 2021
    does anyone know a decent place to find headphone reviews by people who aren't lunatics? i'm currently using a set of senheiser hd 598SEs which have served me well for like 6 years now but they're starting to wear out. i'm looking for something similar, open back, light and comfortable for use all day at a computer. but it's been very difficult to find reviews and comparisons in the range i'm looking for, it's either audiophile gear for thousands of dollars, or gamer grade stuff which i don't have much interest in.

head-fi.org kinda shit the bed a few years back

https://www.headphonereviews.org/index.php seemingly died a few years ago, no reviews in the past 3 years...

r/headphones occasionally has useful info but also its fair share of crazy people

Brolo on
    Oh no what happened to head-fi?

They got real fashy, didn they?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    there's also rting reviews. might also check with the audiophile thread over in the moes tech subforum, they're good for that.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    We've got our own audio gear thread where they can help steer you in the right direction!
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/142270/audiophilia-headphones-amps-daps-and-empty-wallets#latest

wWuzwvJ.png
    Tef wrote: »
    Oh no what happened to head-fi?

They got real fashy, didn they?

the owner apparently sold it, the new owners redesigned the site to make the majority of content ads, and then started banning people who left negative reviews about products made by ad sponsors

haven't followed the rest of it closely enough to comment of the fash elements

edited January 2021
    Aww that sucks! That place used to be a great resource!

So did overclockers UK but they went in hard on the fash

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular

Innerfidelity is good for reviews pre-2018 before they closed down, Headphonics, and Headphonia are worth a look too. I used to spend time in the Head-Fi forums but having since reached my endgame I stopped keeping up with things. Shame it's since gone downhill.

There are a couple of Youtube channels but some, like Z Reviews, provide so little actual information about what anything actually sounds like (let alone how much of a shill he is and sells a lot of the gear he gets for free in monthly Patreon only sales), that I avoid them entirely. Z is entertaining to listen to but I think he's the unreliable narrator of audio reviews. There may be good ones but I've not spent any time seeking them out.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Probably the senheiser 6XX series from DROP is probably your best bet. Low $200 range, and considered pretty damn great. I'm a fan of Grado's myself, and prefer that brighter top end. A set of Grado 80e headphones is about $100 for the open back option. For $100 closed back you can't go wrong with Sony MDR-7506, supremely neutral and pretty comfortable.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

drop.com sells the Sennheiser "HD 6xx", which are basically HD650s with massdrop's logo on them, if you want to stick with the same brand and pay significantly less than you would otherwise.

HD6xx's and HD650's are going to need to a dedicated amplifier to really sound their best. No need to spend more than $80-100 to start out with, but I recommend that be factored in.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880 LEs through Drop for roughly $170 and I’d recommend them in a heartbeat. I think the LEs were only available through Drop, but the regular 880s look like they go for ~$180 and the DT 880 Pros go for ~$250. Solid build quality, open back, not the lightest but also not particularly heavy and with comfortable ear cups, they really shine in the high and mid-range and handle sibilant sound well, good soundstage and instrument separation, but the bass is really neutral. If you like boosted bass the DT880s are not for you.

I have the 250ohm version and they really require an amp to get the full experience, but my iPhone can drive them through the lightning to 3.5mm adapter and they sound just fine.

Edit: I actually paid around $170 for the DT 880s, and it looks like Drop has DT880 Pros for $190 now.

jgeis on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    After having mine for a week I cant recommend enough the Schiit amp and DAC combo.

$200 gets you a real nice setup that will work for a wide array of music and inputs and will drive all but the most demanding of headphones.

webguy20 on
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    After having mine for a week I cant recommend enough the Schiit amp and DAC combo.

$200 gets you a real nice setup that will work for a wide array of music and inputs and will drive all but the most demanding of headphones.

I've had a magni modi schiit stack since like...2013ish. Still going strong, still sounds great.

Yea I'm running the Vali 2 (Mostly for the looks) and even on "lo" gain mode, I might get the volume up to 33% and it barely heats up. There's a lot of power in there.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I still use the Sennheiser HD280 Pros I bought on special in 2007. They're only occasional use and I've replaced the padding on them and added ears but they still sound great via my Yamaha receiver.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Hmmmm a tube amp may be the next item for me as well. After the 6xx comes in anyway...

Hmmmm a tube amp may be the next item for me as well. After the 6xx comes in anyway...

The Valhalla 2 looks beautiful, and would really let you roll tubes. I just don't think I have the ears to really appreciate more than I have now. I might get a nice pair of closed back headphones at some point, but I'd probably still stay around $400 or less.

Speaking of receivers, apparently there's problems with HDMI2.1 chips in some new ones, so if you're in the market keep an eye on this.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    HD6xx's and HD650's are going to need to a dedicated amplifier to really sound their best. No need to spend more than $80-100 to start out with, but I recommend that be factored in.

Yeah, the 598SEs only have 50 ohms of impedence and idk if @Knight_ wants to dip into that other end of the crazy audiophile rabbit hole that is amps/the Xonar STX soundcard.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i'm not against a cheap headphone amp if it offered a noticeable improvement

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I got a pair of HD598 SE as my first non-cheap headphones and they're quite nice. Low on bass, but very clear and detailed and a wide soundstage.
    Schiit sells a lot of b-stock and you might be able to get a nice DAC and amp or combo unit: https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Fitbit is officially part of Google now.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Is it though? Thought DOJ still had to weigh in on that matter.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Pft, as if they've stopped even bigger mergers and acquisitions.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Pft, as if they've stopped even bigger mergers and acquisitions.

I'd say it's a criminal abdication of duty, but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Is it though? Thought DOJ still had to weigh in on that matter.

r5atonzy8k1a.png

Signs point to yes

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I guess it could be of some use in construction, but it still seems like it would ed-209 itself down a flight of stairs or similar uneven declines

Oh man, I saw this thing at Burning Man in 2017. I talked to one of the pilots a little - at the time they were trying to start a mech racing league. Apparently there aren't any computers on-board and everything is controlled purely by mechanical amplification of the motions of the pilot. Cool idea, but in practice it had some real QWOP vibes.

sig.png
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

Oh man, I saw this thing at Burning Man in 2017. I talked to one of the pilots a little - at the time they were trying to start a mech racing league. Apparently there aren't any computers on-board and everything is controlled purely by mechanical amplification of the motions of the pilot. Cool idea, but in practice it had some real QWOP vibes.

That it really cool but something about the way it moves is really unnerving.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's looks very bouncy and soft in its movement, like jello. Stands a little in contrast with it being a giant, metal mech.

Because it's mechanically controlled by a soft, jelly-like human. Put it in control of a coldly precise computer and you'll get your robotic movement.

This discussion has been closed.