As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

• Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable
    daveNYC wrote: »
    So Marks and Spencer is shutting down their stores in Prague temporarily. Ostensibly due to the whole Covid situation, I'm thinking more because Brexit seems to have messed up the whole exporting food from the UK thing they have going on.

They managed to stay open for the mess of lockdowns we've had up until now and they do crazy business, plus they were out of stock on a number of items recently and had signs blaming Brexit.

Harrumph.

Yeah this was absolutely no surprise. Their own corporate statements have been saying for ages that Brexit put their EU based businesses in jeopardy. I hope they reopen and people keep their jobs, but all the customs shenanigans mean the fresh food imports are probably going to be tough.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Technology correspondent, Sky News. Thread on compliance with COVID rules, which is pretty high, except for one thing.

Old people. When they suck, they really suck.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Some of the motivation might be financial or because they are the only option for childcare for their grandchildren

Very early on I made plans for if I couldn't leave the house - stocked up on tins and ready meals, stuff like that - but how feasible is that for somebody on a state pension?

Basically, I'm saying that I blame the government for not supporting isolating people by providing support as well as old bastards who assume the rules don't apply to them

And yes, there's an overlap

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Some of the motivation might be financial or because they are the only option for childcare for their grandchildren

Very early on I made plans for if I couldn't leave the house - stocked up on tins and ready meals, stuff like that - but how feasible is that for somebody on a state pension?

Basically, I'm saying that I blame the government for not supporting isolating people by providing support as well as old bastards who assume the rules don't apply to them

And yes, there's an overlap

Absolutely this. My first thought when I saw the figures was that I know *so many* people here in the North East who rely on parents for childcare. When you add that to the figure from the TUC today about the number of people denied childcare furlough by their employer, I can totally understand the older generation continuing to look after kids so the working-age generation can continue to work. Obviously they *shouldn't* be doing that, but there should be financial support in place so that it's not even a consideration.

And selfish bastards in that age group too.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Childcare is basically unaffordable when working a normal job, and yet essential to working that normal job. Even with school included you will normally need some before and after school care.

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    So awesome
    Please don't let Morgans latest niche of hammering gormless politicians wash away from the collective memory that he;
    • Had people he didn't like followed by journalists and photographers,
    • Described feminists as rabid and vacuous, belittled moving towards gender neutrality, made racist remarks towards the Chinese
    • Oversaw a huge phone hacking operation, including dead children and the recently widowed.
    He's a toxic loud mouth who is smart enough to read the way the winds blowing, nothing more.

• Options
    Morgan is a terrible, terrible person. It's nice, for a change, that he's being terrible to people who deserve it.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Technology correspondent, Sky News. Thread on compliance with COVID rules, which is pretty high, except for one thing.

Old people. When they suck, they really suck.
    Checking the study itself, they don't really elaborate on which covid symptoms the questionnaire asks about. Is it the "new cough" level of symptom, or the "fever and loss of taste" level of symptom, or did they just say generic covid symptoms? Because most working-age people aren't going to self-isolate over a mild cough or sore throat (and the tweetist in this case doesn't repeat the study's notes that similar numbers of people between 21 and 60, and in the household income <30k brackets are the ones who unsurprisingly aren't isolating as much, whereas the under 21 bracket can generally safely self-isolate without income, along with the >30k household income group).

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The leader of Scottish Labour has stepped down with immediate effect, four months out from an election

Not sure what prompted that, but it has prompted a bit of reflection about his predecessor

It must be infuriating to have been bounced out of a position despite having been correct

Edit: also nevar 4get

(Aaron Bastani is an author, columnist, and hilariously wrong)

japan on
  • Options
    Bastani is such a fucking cretin.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I follow politics and I barely knew this guys name. No one even knew who he was. ScotLab are a non-entity like the Lib Dems in England.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Morgan is a terrible, terrible person. It's nice, for a change, that he's being terrible to people who deserve it.

:(

I'll go away now.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    So I see Alex Salmond is looking for immunity from prosecution before he gives evidence at the Holyrood enquiry.

In my opinion nothing says "It was all a baseless witch hunt against me" more than indicating the evidence I'm going to give contains Crimes. My Crimes.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    ScotLab are a non-entity like the Lib Dems in England.

Why must you say these hurtful yet entirely accurate things?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I feel bad for Gordon Brown

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    ScotLab are a non-entity like the Lib Dems in England.

Why must you say these hurtful yet entirely accurate things?

The most accurate thing I've seen written in the wake of Richard Leonard resigning is that they need to realise their job isn't to "win back Labour voters", it's to win over SNP voters

The party in Scotland is hamstrung by the belief that they're the default party of government, or even opposition, when that hasn't been true in years

• Options
    Also BBC Scotland homepage kind of sums up why Richard Leonard stepped down

07frdeb24q9w.png

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    I liked how Starmer praised Leonard's "incredible achievements" in the job. I know this is standard boiler plate stuff but I couldn't help think "care to name one of those achievements chum?". I can't think of a single thing he's done in office. There has to be something and I'm sure if I was willing to spend an hour on Google I'd probably be able to find it but that's not really something you can reasonably expect people to do as a politician.

2020 presented serious challenges for anyone wanting to be heard above the noise for sure but ScotLab have serious problems getting their message out.

• Options
    In more "oh no that terrible person made a great point" news, Neil O'Brien, a Tory MP who no doubt has a horrible voting record, has been spending time on social media recently laying waste to anti-lockdown media types like Toby "thick as a whale omelette" Young, for which he has received his expected reward: being told to "go and do his job instead". It's notable in that Tory MPs almost never actually criticise rightwing media, as it's a huge weapon wielded mostly in the favour, so he's a massive outlier.

He's massively outnumbered by cretins in the Tory party who hate the lockdown and want it stopped (i.e. Desmond "a particularly stupid donkey" Swayne), but it's nice to be surprised occasionally.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Shitty
    Evening Standard article.
    Mr Rees-Mogg, responding to concerns from the SNP, told MPs: “What is happening is that the Government is tackling this issue, dealing with it as quickly as possible, and the key thing is we’ve got our fish back.

“They’re now British fish and they’re better and happier fish for it.”

The fish are probably even happier that a lot of the UK fleets are staying in port.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    It's like they're encouraging Scotland to leave the Union by being as stupid as possible.

• Options
    If the shellfish companies follow through on the threat to dump lorry loads of rotten fish outside Downing Street it'll be an image for the history books

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It's like they're encouraging Scotland to leave the Union by being as stupid as possible.

No, they're encouraging them to join the Union (European)

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Wouldn't Tory dominance if the wasteland be all but secured if Scotland told em to go screw?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I really do hope they dump several tonnes of rotting shellfish outside number 10

please do that shellfish industry I am begging

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Wouldn't Tory dominance if the wasteland be all but secured if Scotland told em to go screw?

It'd be easier, as they win almost no seats there, but not assured. I sincerely doubt any Tory Prime Minister wants to be the one at the wheel when the Union breaks up.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    It wouldn't be outside number ten. Downing Street has security gates preventing you getting close.

I wonder what the highest profile government site is that you can get a truckload of rotting shellfish to

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Every time I hear JRM speak I feel dumber afterwards.

• Options
    Mogg is a pantomime fossil toff and that he is allowed anywhere near government is ridiculous. It's embarrassing

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty
    Every time I hear JRM speak I feel dumber afterwards.
    I dunno, I feel smarter.
    Like, I can spend twenty minutes trying to figure out a puzzle room in Zelda only to realise the answer's incredibly obvious. I'll feel bad about it, but then tell myself "Well, at least you're not Jacob Rees-Mogg talking about fish," and I feel better about myself.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    It just hit me that he's not even talking about fish is he?
    The key thing is we got our plebs back.

They're now British plebs and they're happier and better plebs for it.

Mein gott...

• Options
    Craig Ross, a Tory MSP candidate, has been suspended following some very Tory MP comments.
    I’m not saying that every single person who claims to be really hungry and is reliant on charity is also very overweight, but what I am saying is if Channel 4 News is having a reasonable go at showing the reality of food bank usage, then we know that the people that they film are far from starving. If anything, their biggest risk is not starvation, it’s diabetes.

• Options
    Said what they all think out loud, silly boy

• Options
    In more "oh no that terrible person made a great point" news, Neil O'Brien, a Tory MP who no doubt has a horrible voting record, has been spending time on social media recently laying waste to anti-lockdown media types like Toby "thick as a whale omelette" Young, for which he has received his expected reward: being told to "go and do his job instead". It's notable in that Tory MPs almost never actually criticise rightwing media, as it's a huge weapon wielded mostly in the favour, so he's a massive outlier.

He's massively outnumbered by cretins in the Tory party who hate the lockdown and want it stopped (i.e. Desmond "a particularly stupid donkey" Swayne), but it's nice to be surprised occasionally.

He absolutely destroyed the Daily Mail back in November with a bullshit graph they sourced for a Covid Denier.

On Covid he is on the side of sensible and correct.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    It's almost like modern cheap, filling food also happens to be nutritionally terrible for you!

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Fucking tories, I swear to god

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    It wouldn't be outside number ten. Downing Street has security gates preventing you getting close.

I wonder what the highest profile government site is that you can get a truckload of rotting shellfish to

Probably Whitehall

There's a balance to be struck between being close enough to government buildings to make the point, but not so close that you're going to be tackled and/ or shot at by armed police

I had in my head that the farmers had done this with manure at some stage, but all I can find is a go-slow protest where they drove tractors around London, with a symbolic dumping of a wheelbarrow load of manure at the downing street gates rather than the depositing of truckloads as in France

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty

It almost makes me wish they hadn't undone the protest limitations of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005, as they rushed that so much they left a gaping hole in the legislation. To whit, they forget to exempt 10 Downing Street as a viable protest location, so anyone applying to the police for permission to demonstrate right outside Downing Street had to be allowed to do so, so long as they passed a security check.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Shitty
    japan wrote: »

Probably Whitehall

There's a balance to be struck between being close enough to government buildings to make the point, but not so close that you're going to be tackled and/ or shot at by armed police

I had in my head that the farmers had done this with manure at some stage, but all I can find is a go-slow protest where they drove tractors around London, with a symbolic dumping of a wheelbarrow load of manure at the downing street gates rather than the depositing of truckloads as in France

Depending on the wind direction, Downing Street is still a viable location. Rotting shellfish has reach yo.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I figure just dump the stuff at every single entrance or exit from the fenced off area and let wind do the rest. There will be no escape from the smell without passing one.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.