As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Assassin's Creed]: Mirage almost out! 10/5/23 via Ubisoft Connect, EGS (PC), and consoles

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    My buddy is like 90 hours into Valhalla and is committed to getting the platinum trophy. He's mildly enjoying it still but man I can't even imagine trying for it. He's still got around 50 hours left until getting it.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Did anyone try any of the graphical mods for the PC version of Origin or Odyssey?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    My buddy is like 90 hours into Valhalla and is committed to getting the platinum trophy. He's mildly enjoying it still but man I can't even imagine trying for it. He's still got around 50 hours left until getting it.

Trophy people are a bizarre bunch who's entire thing seems to be based around sunk cost fallacy.

I stand by the thought that trophies cause more harm than good in gaming.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Fishing sucks, Bow hunting fish is infinitely better, just annoying when fish disappears often. (I know the tide can also sweep them away but thats not what I'm referring to, especially happens in shallow waters)

Cant find big flatfish or big mackerels, heard they were bugged and dont exist in the game yet?

The biggest problems with the fishing are:

1) making the different size fish be exact for turn ins. Nothing like being an an area with the right fish catching 10 medium ones and 5 big ones but no small ones so they are all useless. And now there are no fish left in the area at all. Very poorly thought out design. They should have just had the sizes be different values for turn ins.

2) the locations. The fish are at very specific locations. But the guide gives you very general locations. For something that is already time consuming and with the issue above this feels TERRIBLE. It says rivers in(area) but it's actually just 2 specific places on 2 specific rivers so unless you look it up online you just spend a bunch of time fishing in the wrong place just guess and checking.

I was actually super excited for fishing before I saw how it was implemented.

I tried capturing a big fish with the lure the way I always do in fishing games - Pull until wire is red, then let go a little and then pull again... Problem is these fish never fucking tire like they usually do and you dont seem to gain distance on them, so I spent 5 minutes with this back and forth to no noticeable change and then just tried to yank it in, wire snapped 1 inch away from me, I could have put an arrow into this stupid fish and finished it in 2 seconds if I had just used the bow instead.

There is a lot of good things in Valhalla, I like the settlement stuff and how personal that area feels but why remove horseback fighting and actual poison/fire weapons for these shitty timed abilities? (And why on earth introduce shitty runes that give +1.5% fire damage for these abilities?) Since I started bow fishing I find myself constantly out of arrows, that Odyssey thing where you could craft them sure would be nice here.

Reda also feels worse than in Odyssey, he hasnt sold anything worthwhile since I started playing pretty much and his selection is ass, why only 3 things at a time? Fuck FOMO.

Overall I'm enjoying Valhalla more than Origins and Odyseey (which I also enjoyed, Kassandra is probably the best female protagonist I've seen so far), I think the Settlement Ravensthorpe is the biggest contributor here, also being a dane with all the "DAMN DIRTY DANES" quips ingame is hilarious.

Sirialis on

Trophy people are a bizarre bunch who's entire thing seems to be based around sunk cost fallacy.

I stand by the thought that trophies cause more harm than good in gaming.

Yeah he said that exact phrase: "Well I've already put this much time into the game I might as well get the platinum" when I tried to tell him he could have beat 2 other, better games with the added time to get the platinum.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My ex pointed something out this evening: why are the hunters and fishers in Raventhorpe on the demand side of their respective crafts? What kind of self-respecting hunter sits around on their arse all day waiting for animals to be brought to them so that they can offload random crap in exchange?

Call them crafters and butchers, at least - explain why I'm doing all of the running about rather than being given a pile of fish and animal parts every five minutes like the income mechanic in previous games

Also I don't think spending five minutes shanking various farm animals should be considered 'hunting', but I couldn't find any other way to collect innards and hearts; boars and wolves are hollow, apparently

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Boy Origins just throws you in the deep end. I thought maybe I missed something since the opening just ended and then I'm killing some dude. Also since I have the deluxe edition I guess, I have a bunch of better gear which is nice. Still getting my bearings, kind of wish they had a mini map or something. I think for now, I'm going to use keyboard and mouse. The series X controller I got just feels a bit clunky in the UI and mouse for ranged can't be beat.

Also enjoyed having to get Uplay going even though I bought it in steam.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Random drops from hunting wildlife is dumb this isn’t monster hunter.

That said i use the predator bow skill that lets you control arrow flight to get those rabbits.

edited January 2021
    Ooo, didn't think of the predator bow skill

Edit: one of the bow types is literally called hunter bows - why don't they help with hunting?

I'm just glad the rewards are minimal

Rhesus Positive on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I am completely unsure whether or not I've beaten AC Valhalla. This is one of the most bizarre video game experiences I've ever had.

I am completely unsure whether or not I've beaten AC Valhalla. This is one of the most bizarre video game experiences I've ever had.

It might actually be the worst ending I've ever seen in a very, very long time.

Ok I watched a video so I "get it" now.

Hey Ubisoft, if you're going to make a super convoluted plot with heavy ties to past games maybe don't spread your story narrative across 6 different game systems that are completely optional to the main plot.

For real though. If you beat this game by just going through the main plot the ending makes ZERO sense and is the most anticlimactic thing I've ever seen. You literally just give someone some bad news and are all "Sorry yo."

This whole Templar vs Assassin thing in "modern times" is a dead horse they need to slaughter for some ooze because it's so tired at this point.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Yeah my wife skipped the
    Asgard parts because the game doesn't really push you in that direction
    and was super confused why
    suddenly Basim was attacking her

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    OH it actually gets explained in that part? I skipped that part too because it fucking sucked.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Ooo, didn't think of the predator bow skill

Edit: one of the bow types is literally called hunter bows - why don't they help with hunting?

I'm just glad the rewards are minimal

The hunter bows are actually the worst ones for hunting!

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    OH it actually gets explained in that part? I skipped that part too because it fucking sucked.

It doesn't really. Like it kind of does, but not fully based on how that part is presented.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    This whole Templar vs Assassin thing in "modern times" is a dead horse they need to slaughter for some ooze because it's so tired at this point.

Either that or go all-in on it so that it actually matters. It was really interesting in the first few games because they had a plan and you could tell that it affected the why of where you were going and made it interesting to learn the things you were learning. There was a reason for all this time-travel stuff.

But JESUS, Eivor literally picks up a piece of future plot at one point and goes "This isn't for me" and puts it back down again. All in cutscene, so you can't even have any sort of input to make her actually fucking INVESTIGATE the shit that would be relevant to the character actually controlling her from the future.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »

Either that or go all-in on it so that it actually matters. It was really interesting in the first few games because they had a plan and you could tell that it affected the why of where you were going and made it interesting to learn the things you were learning. There was a reason for all this time-travel stuff.

But JESUS, Eivor literally picks up a piece of future plot at one point and goes "This isn't for me" and puts it back down again. All in cutscene, so you can't even have any sort of input to make her actually fucking INVESTIGATE the shit that would be relevant to the character actually controlling her from the future.

That's because unlike us, the ingame characters aren't driving in the animus, they are watching from first person. If Eivor didn't look at a thing nothing they can do will make her look at the thing.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO

That's because unlike us, the ingame characters aren't driving in the animus, they are watching from first person. If Eivor didn't look at a thing nothing they can do will make her look at the thing.

They wrote that sequence to happen that way. For this to be the only thing in the game that Eivor isn't interested in investigating, the only thing she gets and hands off to someone else instead of taking it for herself.

And don't get me wrong, i'm glad she didn't steal that thing from those people, but they wrote it extremely clumsily. She may as well have turned to the camera and winked for how ham-handed it was.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That was one of the worst parts of Unity for me.

You have a mustache twirling villain twirling the mustache in the background, at the player, and Arno is basically "meh"

Giving the player dialogue choices goes against the whole "replaying memories" thing that the series is supposed to be about, but I guess that explains why none of my dialogue choices seems to affect anything - no matter how much Modern Lady suggests a specific path when Eivor is asked her opinion, some NPC will end up stabbing the bloke I'm trying to spare anyway

I liked it in the first game where even health was linked to the synchronisation - Altair never got hit in combat, so you're just remembering it wrong

Dialogue choices don't really impact the fiction of simulation since whatever you choose for your character to say is what they said in the past. It's no different than being able to control your character more broadly in that sense.

I think at this point I'd like to see them try to make a game that's a bit more dynamic. It would be neat to see a story where they're working with multiple assassins across multiple timelines - including the present and future all in a single game. Have the story be them pulling all of these threads at once to pull off some sort of grand heist in the present or near future that requires coordination across all of the timelines (and perhaps even multiverses now).

Ever since the first AC I've also thought it would be very cool to see a futuristic version of the order where you're using some crazy tech mixed in with the more traditional tools of the order. You could almost make it into a Spider-man type game.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2021
    Aistan wrote: »

They wrote that sequence to happen that way. For this to be the only thing in the game that Eivor isn't interested in investigating, the only thing she gets and hands off to someone else instead of taking it for herself.

And don't get me wrong, i'm glad she didn't steal that thing from those people, but they wrote it extremely clumsily. She may as well have turned to the camera and winked for how ham-handed it was.

I mean, it could also be because they already knew.

The reason they, the modern day folks, didn't go out there to investigate further is because that stuff got resolved in Assassin's Creed 3... the future for Eivor, the past for the modern day folks, and dealt with in the less distant past by Desmond and Co.

This was the exact same tribe Connor was from.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Dialogue choices don't really impact the fiction of simulation since whatever you choose for your character to say is what they said in the past. It's no different than being able to control your character more broadly in that sense.

I think at this point I'd like to see them try to make a game that's a bit more dynamic. It would be neat to see a story where they're working with multiple assassins across multiple timelines - including the present and future all in a single game. Have the story be them pulling all of these threads at once to pull off some sort of grand heist in the present or near future that requires coordination across all of the timelines (and perhaps even multiverses now).

Ever since the first AC I've also thought it would be very cool to see a futuristic version of the order where you're using some crazy tech mixed in with the more traditional tools of the order. You could almost make it into a Spider-man type game.

They kind of did that with Revelations, where Altair and Ezio were both doing things at different times in the same region, and Desmond was trapped in the animus and therefore had a bit more to do as well.

That game tends to get glossed over a lot though.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    syndalis wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

I mean, it could also be because they already knew.
    The reason they, the modern day folks, didn't go out there to investigate further is because that stuff got resolved in Assassin's Creed 3... the future for Eivor, the past for the modern day folks, and dealt with in the less distant past by Desmond and Co.

This was the exact same tribe Connor was from.

Eivor voiced the lines saying "this isn't for me to investigate" though, not Layla. They wrote everything about this situation but didn't write how it made sense for the character involved. I get wanting a cool setting and nod to a previous game, but it doesn't work for the character. Layla didn't see the place and say "we already know about this, skipping ahead", Eivor saw the place and took the thing and did all the actions in the past and Layla is just an observer, that's the conceit of the animus. If Eivor had done that stuff Layla would have seen it.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular

Yeah wait are you talking about
    the wall with the glowing lines and holes in it?

I came across that at like hour 20 of 98 so I just straight up forgot about it. Does that ever get any more attention?

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    I totally forgot about that part too. Wonder if they planned on doing something but forgot.

I totally forgot about that part too. Wonder if they planned on doing something but forgot.

read my post above - it is more or less a nod to longtime fans of the series, not a thing meant for Eivor at all.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Deadfall wrote: »

I came across that at like hour 20 of 98 so I just straight up forgot about it. Does that ever get any more attention?

They are talking about when
    Eivor finds the Apple of Eden
    and is all "Meh."
    Which is very against her character at the time.

edited January 2021
    These “Chase a piece of paper” sidemissions kinda suck.

I wish with the much dialed back weapon abilities of Valhalla compared to Odyssey, that you could at least pick the one you want, I’m using a 2 hand sword and the “Criticals ignite weapon” is the one I want (its on an axe) but I cant stand that axes moveset.

Sirialis on
    Sirialis wrote: »
    These “Chase a piece of paper” sidemissions kinda suck.

I wish with the much dialed back weapon abilities of Valhalla compared to Odyssey, that you could at least pick the one you want, I’m using a 2 hand sword and the “Criticals ignite weapon” is the one I want (its on an axe) but I cant stand that axes moveset.

You can pop the skill, I forget the name, that slows time and makes you invisible to grab the papers before they take off.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Deadfall wrote: »

They are talking about when
    Eivor finds the Apple of Eden
    and is all "Meh."
    Which is very against her character at the time.
    She basically happens upon the McGuffin from Aassassin's Creed 3 1,000 years early (When Desmond was driving, so Layla would know nothing about it - Shaun and Rebecca would though). It was mostly fine.

Schadenfreude on
    Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
    edited January 2021
    I guess i see what they were going for but it would have been nicer if they explained any of that for folks like me who played AC 3 almost a decade ago.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    I didnt even play AC3 so for me that part was kinda “The fuck?”

Question about AC Origins. Why does "assassinate" just punch dudes in the gut? They lay around just rolling and I can't pick them up and move them. I then have to kill them to be able to pick them up and move them. Does it change later?

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Been a while since I played it but pretty sure if you push through the story you should get an item upgrade that sorts out your troubles.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe

Follow up to this: he's finally broken. He's still going to platinum it but I can feel his disappointment with the game through texts. He's so mad about almost everything in the game.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Follow up to this: he's finally broken. He's still going to platinum it but I can feel his disappointment with the game through texts. He's so mad about almost everything in the game.

I've been this guy, and I'm glad I got over the need to obsessively complete things. Like I had some broken quests early on and so I just said "fuck 100%" and moved on.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2021
    ... I'm going for 100% but not really in a rush.

I found out that the "Catch a fish of each type using the fishing line" Good Catch achievement, doesnt need you to use the fishing line at all, I unexpectedly got it from just using a bow trying to get salmons (which was the last fish I hadnt "captured" at that point) for that fishing dude.

I also just found a pretty hidden sword, that fittingly enough had the exact same moveset as the sword I was using, neat.

Sirialis on