As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Man, I wish I had somewhere to hang up a punching bag.

Got a lotta punches in me. Need to get em out.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    this is going to be my big challenge week

when I jumped back on the wagon, I was a the end of my cycle.

Today I am back at the start of my hellish next few days.

I just need to find a way to exercise through the discomfort and not fall prey to the allure of chocolate and ice cream.

• DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    this is going to be my big challenge week

when I jumped back on the wagon, I was a the end of my cycle.

Today I am back at the start of my hellish next few days.

I just need to find a way to exercise through the discomfort and not fall prey to the allure of chocolate and ice cream.

Try dialing it back a little if you feel like you need to. Burnout prevention is far more valuable than pushing it harder faster.

You've got this!
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Man, I wish I had somewhere to hang up a punching bag.

Got a lotta punches in me. Need to get em out.

Lean it against a wall and go to town! Although it probably doesn't work as well (at all?) that way?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Found a neat product.

Chocolate almond milk with protein. I think the company is called inside out and out looks like an Aussie brand.

It's a dark chocolate almond milk and there's only 0.3g sugar per 100ml. And I've been trying to keep myself under 3g/100.

It's definitely not sweet. But! It satisfied the chocolate need tonight and doesn't have lactose so I'm not worrying about my insides.

10/10, will definitely buy again.

A lot better than my previous period relief purchases of safe to eat cookie dough.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I definitely felt the readdition of boxing movements to my working out while I was lifting today. My biceps and the center of my upper back were expressing their intense feelings at me.

I'll have to figure out how to best integrate it into the routine.

Feels like it'll depend on how much this is initial soreness vs every workout soreness but boxing one day then lifting the next is probably not the longer term route to success.

Maybe I'll just start once a week on the fitness boxing, using the extra rest day I have on the weekends. Then I guess see from there. I'm kind of not super into the idea of lifting at the gym, changing, coming home, changing again, and doing the box

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm running on the treadmill this week, Sunday Tuesday and Thursday

I had to dial back the distance on Tuesday because my legs and butt are tired from the squats I'm also doing

Probably just going to run a mile again tonight, unless things loosen up a bit, then I will run another half mile

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Today is my burnout day since tomorrow is my rest day...I might even run.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'm running on the treadmill this week, Sunday Tuesday and Thursday

I had to dial back the distance on Tuesday because my legs and butt are tired from the squats I'm also doing

Probably just going to run a mile again tonight, unless things loosen up a bit, then I will run another half mile

If you're not already, I highly recommend getting a foam roller and rolling out your various leg muscle groups before and after running. At least for me, it was the difference from frequent knee pain to almost zero issues with running now.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    The only way I can control my diet,especially being more house bound, is to just not buy the things I shouldn't eat. If it makes it home, I'll snarf it. But in the store I can combine "shouldn't have this" with my general dislike for spending money into something that resembles willpower, but is in fact just exploiting my other pain points.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Foam rolling your quads is actual torture and I love it

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

It really does hurt so good. I'm a big fan of racquet ball foot massage after a long hike.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited January 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »

It really does hurt so good. I'm a big fan of racquet ball foot massage after a long hike.

My calves always hurt more than my quads, but all of it is pain. If I had some plantar fasciitis going rolling it over a ball is the worst. So good, but the worst.

Desserted on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

I have those hard silicone massage balls (heheheh snerk) and they're great for things like this

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The only way I can control my diet,especially being more house bound, is to just not buy the things I shouldn't eat. If it makes it home, I'll snarf it. But in the store I can combine "shouldn't have this" with my general dislike for spending money into something that resembles willpower, but is in fact just exploiting my other pain points.

Yeah, I'm in the same place.

I'm looking forward to getting to a point where I can buy say, a package of cookies and know I'll eat them in moderation and not just snack on them constantly.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I tried foam rolling for a few months. I didn’t notice much effect. It was more of just a boring thing that didn’t make any difference for me if I skipped it for a day, so I eventually just stopped. I just stick to my normal post-run cool down and stretches.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I tried foam rolling for a few months. I didn’t notice much effect. It was more of just a boring thing that didn’t make any difference for me if I skipped it for a day, so I eventually just stopped. I just stick to my normal post-run cool down and stretches.

I'm with you on foam rolling, but my partner swears by it. I'll roll if I have a tight spot that lasts longer than it should, but otherwise a regular warm-up and stretching cool-down routine have worked well enough for me.

I think foam rolling is one of those things that if you enjoy it keep doing it and if you don't you're not missing out on anything.

Stretching is a must though.

For me at least, foam rolling is my stretching basically. Mostly my IT band is what was causing my knee pain, so as long as hit that group well with the foam rolling I'm good to go.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    4 reps at 15kgs which is 20% bodyweight (followed by three sets at 12kgs), and managed a 90 degree lockoff for 45 seconds (followed by 30, and then 125 for 30 twice)

Come on! Feeling strong. Need to improve form but really engaging the muscles and pushing myself. Feels like I am definitely getting stronger and my recovery is good. Did my hangboard routine as well and repeated the 9mm edge hang with 8kgs added so I'll do that for another couple of weeks and in February maybe add a few kgs. See how I feel on that front. But yeah! Good.

I made it to the pool this morning!

So far my routine in the water is this (this is a 50m length pool)
    Lap up legs only
    Deep end wall bicycle crunches
    Lap down arms only
    Shallow end: wall push ups x10, Left lunges x10, Right lunges x10, wide squats x10, wall push ups x10

Repeat above 4-5 times
    Lap up freestyle
    Deep end floooooattttttttttt
    Lap down freestyle
    Shallow end ballet/Barre leg circles, lifts, and Balance work, then the Push up/lunge/squat/pushups

Hot tub: 10-15 minutes of soak and stretch.

This takes me about an hour and I feel like I can conquer the world.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'm doing the 30 day free trial of MyFitness Pal because they lock your macros behind a pay wall. Its $80 a year which seems excessive and I don't want to spend it.

But it does help me get an idea of my protein and carb intake. I've set my caloric deficit at 2,800 cals a day with a 40% protein 40% carb 20% fat goal. Using this it looks like I've already gone over my carbs by 7%, which isn't a huge deal but it does tell me I'm gonna need to starting altering my diet a little.

I may try to go low carb for breakfast, have a higher carb meal around lunch or before workouts to keep me fueled up, and then a lighter to medium carb load dinner.

Maybe I can find a good macro balance before my trial runs out and I can just delete it. I'm not a fan of food tracking but I think I need to better understand how and what I'm eating. I've always played it loose and that's probably hurting me in the long run.

Edit: I'm dumb. I'm at 47% of my carb goal not my entire allotment of carbs for the day. I didn't read it right.

I actually have to eat more food holy shit.

Juggernut on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Desserted wrote: »
    I think foam rolling is one of those things that if you enjoy it keep doing it and if you don't you're not missing out on anything.

Stretching is a must though.

Yeah, you’re not going to find any meaningful research on foam rolling that says any differently than what you posted. Which part of the problem is the type of roller. Foam sucks. PVC pipe or a big hunk of iron works way better.

My preference is having 80-160 pounds of body tempering roller sit on your hamstrings for a couple of minutes and same on the calves and Achilles.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I had someone use one of the smaller versions of a barbell, the ones that you use with a single hand, on my legs once.

I screamed just a little bit.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I have one of those percussive massage guns and it's really great, I highly recommend it for shaking the pain away.

Juggernut wrote: »
    I'm doing the 30 day free trial of MyFitness Pal because they lock your macros behind a pay wall. Its $80 a year which seems excessive and I don't want to spend it.

But it does help me get an idea of my protein and carb intake. I've set my caloric deficit at 2,800 cals a day with a 40% protein 40% carb 20% fat goal. Using this it looks like I've already gone over my carbs by 7%, which isn't a huge deal but it does tell me I'm gonna need to starting altering my diet a little.

I may try to go low carb for breakfast, have a higher carb meal around lunch or before workouts to keep me fueled up, and then a lighter to medium carb load dinner.

Maybe I can find a good macro balance before my trial runs out and I can just delete it. I'm not a fan of food tracking but I think I need to better understand how and what I'm eating. I've always played it loose and that's probably hurting me in the long run.

Edit: I'm dumb. I'm at 47% of my carb goal not my entire allotment of carbs for the day. I didn't read it right.

I actually have to eat more food holy shit.

I find it easier to look at the nutrients tab, it's easier to figure out if you're hitting your targets or not that way rather than the macro %s. Like if I'm not getting enough protein but have mostly hit my carb target, I can adjust my snacks accordingly and so on. I don't pay for the app either so that's how I get around the lack of explicit detail. If you're able to load up everything you're planning on eating ahead of time like meal planning it makes figuring out what to adjust pretty straight forward.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Those things send all my skin nerve endings into a tizzy and I get itchy and numb before I feel any real muscular benefits.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Since yesterday my ankle has been inexplicably deeply sore in two spots on the left and right side.

Why? Is it because I'm 36? This seems unfair.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I have one of those percussive massage guns and it's really great, I highly recommend it for shaking the pain away.

I watched a Theragun video on the “science” behind it for CEU’s, and just remember having Super D in the back of my head yelling about fancy graphics and 3D and made up terms.

The massage guns are awesome, but they don’t really need to pile the bullshit on to sell them.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    edited January 2021
    I actually forgot to mention this a while ago, but I stopped taking creatine, and I thought you guys might be interested in why;

1) yes I found that I maybe had a bit more power and my recovery was maybe a little better. That said not in a way which I found to be noticeably useful, I could train as much as before and not really much more, and I had more power for big strong moves with maybe a bit more power endurance, but that's it and not in a way which really elevated me in any way.

2) I also found that I put on 1-2kgs. The power improvements more balanced that out in that area, mind. However;

3) Creatine doesn't strengthen your fingers and your fingers are more important than your ability to generate a powerful pull on a small and/or bad hold. Because you weigh more, creatine actually means your fingers are weaker compared to your weight, and therefore it is the opposite of helpful. Also;

4) Core tension is really important and I found my ability to maintain core tension was a little worse due to more weight going into my core and such.

Essentially I felt sliiiightly heavier and less agile, with slightly less core tension. I didn't really noticed until I stopped taking it and the week after I was like "oh cool I feel really like and strong" so yeah just thought I'd share my experiences with you all there. I think if someone said to me "do you recommend creatine?" I'd say that for weightlifting and such absolutely, for climbing? Probably not.

Solar on
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I actually forgot to mention this a while ago, but I stopped taking creatine, and I thought you guys might be interested in why;

1) yes I found that I maybe had a bit more power and my recovery was maybe a little better. That said not in a way which I found to be noticeably useful, I could train as much as before and not really much more, and I had more power for big strong moves with maybe a bit more power endurance, but that's it and not in a way which really elevated me in any way.

2) I also found that I put on 1-2kgs. The power improvements more balanced that out in that area, mind. However;

3) Creatine doesn't strengthen your fingers and your fingers are more important than your ability to generate a powerful pull on a small and/or bad hold. Because you weigh more, creatine actually means your fingers are weaker compared to your weight, and therefore it is the opposite of helpful. Also;

4) Core tension is really important and I found my ability to maintain core tension was a little worse due to more weight going into my core and such.

Essentially I felt sliiiightly heavier and less agile, with slightly less core tension. I didn't really noticed until I stopped taking it and the week after I was like "oh cool I feel really like and strong" so yeah just thought I'd share my experiences with you all there. I think if someone said to me "do you recommend creatine?" I'd say that for weightlifting and such absolutely, for climbing? Probably not.

Might still be of overall benefit as it helps you work more/recover faster, you'd just want to go off cycle to set those prs or compete.

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Friday weigh-in #3

Last week: 174 lbs
    This week: 172 lbs

No major issues this week. I'm hoping I'll have the motivation to continue to exercise nearly every day. Sometimes I'd rather... just not.

Taya on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I did my first campus (arms only, no feet) climbing route.

It was V1, one with nice, big holds and not spaced out huge, but still a great accomplishment for me.

Also anyone run with wrist weights? I was thinking of adding them for extra challenge/ extra arm workout.

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Weightlifted before lunch and then got out on the bike this afternoon for 20 miles to investigate an alternate commute route for when my standard route is flooded. I don't want to repeat 30m of full width flooded road in the dark, with traffic deciding a cyclist should just teleport out of their way. Got back just as the sun was going down and the temperature started dropping.

I've definitely earned tonight's pizza and beer :)

On that note I realised I'd gradually slipped into having at least a drink (if not more) nearly every evening over the past year what with lockdown and then Christmas. The plan was to stop drinking on weeknights as of Monday just gone (as that was our first day back at work this year). Failed on the first day - I had just done a day of work after nearly three weeks off and we had steak for dinner - so a couple medium glasses of red were had. But I successfully (and easily) didn't drink Tue/Wed/Thurs. When I've done this in the past apart from not drinking anything on those days I've also, without doing it on purpose, tended to drink less on the days I can drink.

The reduction in calories will help nicely with the fitness plans. I have a few vague targets for the year and so far I've managed to exercise every day this year.

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    4 reps at 15kgs which is 20% bodyweight (followed by three sets at 12kgs), and managed a 90 degree lockoff for 45 seconds (followed by 30, and then 125 for 30 twice)

Come on! Feeling strong. Need to improve form but really engaging the muscles and pushing myself. Feels like I am definitely getting stronger and my recovery is good. Did my hangboard routine as well and repeated the 9mm edge hang with 8kgs added so I'll do that for another couple of weeks and in February maybe add a few kgs. See how I feel on that front. But yeah! Good.

Any advice on joint pain? Specifically, I deal with some numbness issues on with my right arm/elbow, it is the limiting factor for me with things like chin-ups / pull-ups. I wear a brace on the elbow, but I'm not sure if there's anything else I can be doing / something I'm missing.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    I don't really get joint pain and I am no physio, but I did get climber's elbow a while back, which impacted that movement, and I used to use icing and slow, deep stretches to ease it out before and after exercise. That made a big difference, and eventually it soothed off.

Is it a tendon pain do you think? Or a severe pump? Is that your dominant arm?

edited January 2021

Might still be of overall benefit as it helps you work more/recover faster, you'd just want to go off cycle to set those prs or compete.

Yeah but realistically it's a skill based sport, so you need to be trying to push your skills and training them as a primary focus 3-4 times a week. And then for most climbers, the aim is to climb outdoors and do problems and routes there, but that's weather depending, and you basically go as you can and when you go you might try to send something or try a project. So realistically that might work for professionals who are like, three months off, three months on etc, but for someone like me really I need to be in sending shape within a few days notice, and also training to push my skill limit all the time.

Solar on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Got my running shoes today, feel like a nice fit.

Looking at running stuff has made me realize I'm like, severely duckfooted? Who knew that your feet aren't supposed to make a right angle with one another? Everyone but me, I guess.

I knew I annihilated socks and shoes because I'd put my foot down with the toe out then sort of rotate the foot on its ball as I stepped forward, but I guess I didn't realize how far from normal my neutral stance and the way I walked was.

Correcting might be tricky. If I put my feet mostly parallel just standing still it feels pretty weird. Completely parallel and it feels like I'm going to damage my knees if I'm not careful how I move. Not sure if that's something that will go away if I try to correct this or if something is messed up in a long-term way here.

Kamar on
    I would try adding some bicep and forearm stretches doing three sets of thirty second holds. Maybe some pec stretches and light pronation/supination exercises too?

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    There's a fair amount of arm fuckery that happens because of your shoulders, running through something like this (minus the band part if you don't any but it's really beneficial) is never a bad idea.

Edit: Actually you can run through the band stuff with a towel just fine, you might have to play with it a little to find the right grip width but you can do it and you should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y_A4xfbGUU

Peen on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    ~gasping for air~

Got.... 5k route... down to... 36:06. ~collapses~

This discussion has been closed.