As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Far Right DC Putsch thread 2

expendableexpendable Silly GooseRegistered User regular
Old thread hit max. New thread here. It's been 9 days and they might try again on the 17th because Q is the 17th letter of the alphabet, or on the 20th, or who knows because this is how it is in the US.

Anyway, the internet sucks at investigating things:

https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/trolls-wrongly-accused-retired-firefighter-capitol-riot-murder

And because the internet sucks at this we should take with the hugest grain of salt in the universe the speculation that's popping up that the Bullhorn Lady inside the capitol is Rep. Boeberts mom.

Djiem wrote: »
Lokiamis wrote: »
So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
Steam

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I really, really don't like to see the damn national guard patrolling the capital, or having most state capitals either locked down or secured or whatever, but I'll be really surprised if the Trump Chumps and the Qanon bastards and other white supremacists don't try again very soon, either on the 17th or on inauguration day

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    And because the internet sucks at this we should take with the hugest grain of salt in the universe the speculation that's popping up that the Bullhorn Lady inside the capitol is Rep. Boeberts mom.

But at this point I feel it's not a question of whether or not Rep. Boebert assisted rioters, but rather to what extent her assistance extends. And whether or not she's going to hurt someone before she is officially implicated in this.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'm of two minds.

1) A major line has crossed and we're in uncharted territory. There have been no significant consequences to the first attempt so why wouldn't they be more careful and try again with more guns?

2) Previously, such as that thing in Oregon a few weeks back, the nazis that showed up to protest with all their guns were the first to disappear entirely the very second the cops threatened even a little tiny bit of resistance, so the publicly planned stuff might have a shit ton of no-shows.

Sometimes I hate waiting to see, but there's literally nothing else I can do.

Edit: replying specifically to DD. DP ghost-posted me. I completely agree that the white supremacist chud was involved.

expendable on
    Steam
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I don't think anyone is dumb or suicidal enough to go up against thousands of National Guard, either in DC or at state capitols. What I think will be happen is in the months after Biden is inaugurated, as the frustration and humiliation of Trump's defeat starts to fester, we will see strikes against softer targets.

august on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I think it's really divisive to believe your colleagues might kill you

PNk1Ml4.png
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    I think it's really divisive to believe your colleagues might kill you

Cannot wait for this to become the actual talking point they use

Oh, who am I kidding, they're probably already using it

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    If Dems reach across the aisle hard enough I'm sure it will sate the bloodlust

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    If Dems reach across the aisle hard enough I'm sure it will sate the bloodlust

they simply gotta cash in some of the political capital they built up

• Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is dumb or suicidal enough to go up against thousands of National Guard, either in DC or at state capitols. What I think will be happen is in the months after Biden is inaugurated, as the frustration and humiliation of Trump's defeat starts to fester, we will see strikes against softer targets.

i think the danger is gonna be in chuds thinking when push comes to shove the military will throw in with them and help them lynch congress or whoever

probably they are wrong, but only probably

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

My thought since the 6th is that we will see zero mass protests/violence from that crowd again. They are just way too cowardly and way too much of a political minority (in terms of people so bought in that they will get Out There).

But what we will see are lone/small group attacks once things die down.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    remind me how Brolo fits into all this again?

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1350148617542238210

They got this ex-Marine Proud Boy. A lot of recordings already explicitly planning to execute congresspeople. Probably going down for sedition.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    remind me how Brolo fits into all this again?

someone has to post the computer games

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Always weird to see premature threadjaculation in SE++.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    god why do we have so much video of this why are they so critically stupid they were breaking the WINDOWS of the CAPITOL BUILDING

above all else that is one of the things that bothers me the most. like...sometimes i just have to sit down and go what the actual fuck, they documented everything

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    cursedking wrote: »
    god why do we have so much video of this why are they so critically stupid they were breaking the WINDOWS of the CAPITOL BUILDING

above all else that is one of the things that bothers me the most. like...sometimes i just have to sit down and go what the actual fuck, they documented everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c14vfq3jqpo

Steam
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

I'd say that people who've never experienced real consequences before and are convinced they're always in the right don't see that maybe they're doing something wrong.

Then again, I'd expect better from someone described as an ex-Marine.

However, I can't really get upset about fascists being this self-destructively stupid. Rather this than competent ones.

They literally thought they were going to execute Congress, Mike Pence, rush in a dictatorship and be hailed as saviors.

edited January 2021
    Case in point:

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2021/01/14/army-guardsman-first-known-service-member-arrested-after-capitol-riot/
    “CNN and the Left are just mad because we actually attacked the government who is the problem and not some random small business,” Robertson said on social media, according to the complaint. “The right IN ONE DAY took the f***** U.S. Capitol. Keep poking us.” In a now-deleted Facebook post, Fracker expressed little concern about the photo of him in the Capitol: “Lol to anyone who’s possibly concerned about the picture of me going around ... Sorry I hate freedom? … Not like I did anything illegal.”

expendable on
    Steam
  • CelloCello Registered User regular

They literally thought they were going to execute Congress, Mike Pence, rush in a dictatorship and be hailed as saviors.

Yeah they viewed this as recording history, like the dawn of their revolution

I don't think these people considered their failure as a likelihood, moreso that they'd be valued as heroes and their videos evidence they were there when the world changed

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    It will be interesting to see how the Marines respond to the news of an ex-Marine using his skills to organize a kill team to hunt Congress, and if they have the ability or the desire to call him back up, try him for sedition, and if they will peruse the death penalty.

I'd say that people who've never experienced real consequences before and are convinced they're always in the right don't see that maybe they're doing something wrong.

However, I can't really get upset about fascists being this self-destructively stupid. Rather this than competent ones.

Maybe it's just the Marines I've personally interacted with, but seeing ex-Marines in the mix is the far-and-away least surprising thing about the whole event

edited January 2021
    Yeah, I'm acquainted with a few veterans who are very much in favor of literally executing anyone to the left of Saint Reagan

(I don't talk to them anymore)

DouglasDanger on
  • David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Vetbros cheering on political murder is a big chunk of why this is my only social media anymore

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Maybe it's just the Marines I've personally interacted with, but seeing ex-Marines in the mix is the far-and-away least surprising thing about the whole event

I wasn't surprised he was there. But I just kind of expected someone who's ex-military and about to assault to a capitol with the intention of taking out a country's leaders to tell his fellow attackers to not live-stream that shit.

edited January 2021

I wasn't surprised he was there. But I just kind of expected someone who's ex-military and about to assault to a capitol with the intention of taking out a country's leaders to tell his fellow attackers to not live-stream that shit.

The thing is, you need the mass of idiots to get in the door, but you can't control the idiots. This guy had control over his Proud Boys, but that's about it.

august on
    The seditionists thought they were going to over throw the government and establish a white christian republic or something, they were recording history

They see themselves as heroes and revolutionaries, like the boston tea party guys or something

A lot of them probably belong to the far right white supremacist militia type organizations too, like the 3% minutemen and such

• Mercutio87Mercutio87 So build that wall and build it strong cause We'll be there before too longRegistered User regular
    Replying to a post from last thread about someone not sure how to feel about boston suburb cops - in the past decade the state has had multiple scandals involving drug testing lab staff, evidence clerks, numerous wage theft and tax fraud cases involving entire wings of the state police and senior officers, the springfield police were so brazen about assaulting people the trump DOJ couldn’t help but notice, the worcester PD have been ignoring for decades an open records law they lost a legal case on in the early 2000s, also got caught on video assaulting a bystander and then claiming he attacked them while withholding the video for a year, and this isn’t even touching boston.

Without going over every example, in short; some mass cops are wildly corrupt and are best not trusted in general.

edited January 2021

That part also doesn't surprise me, honestly

When I lived at a big dirtbag house with a bunch of fellow dirtbags, one of them had her cousin over. He was a Marine. We were all hanging out and drinking, and he saw a roach crawling around on the patio. He got everybody's attention and said, "Who dares me to eat that?"

Nobody dared him.

He ate the roach anyway, and made sure everyone was looking.

Poorochondriac on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Mental note, duct tape Raz to light pole outside courthouse.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Yeah they viewed this as recording history, like the dawn of their revolution

I don't think these people considered their failure as a likelihood, moreso that they'd be valued as heroes and their videos evidence they were there when the world changed

Once again they just have absolutely no idea how any of this shit works. Like even trying to explain to them that no they did some real fuckin big boy crime up in this putsch is difficult because they have absolutely no understanding how laws actually work at a foundational level, or what instituting a stable government looks like.

Like they thought they would waltz in, kill a few government members, and then boom all done install dictator trump and we've got a new stable government before dinner. They have absolutely no conception of what any of what they are dealing with entails.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Oh thats just a pervert

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor

Who is Raz? I would advise against making such jokes on a public forum.

edited January 2021
    The trump Chump seditionists are also full of Qanon people, who think there's some secret army or something which will be unleashed on their enemies or something, it's very bizarre

https://youtu.be/XJgX20S0Zdg

DouglasDanger on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I have interacted with family members who are Marines. For every person who had a good head on their shoulders there were two more who had a wife and junker of a car before they finished Basic. Critical thinking doesn't seem to be selected for in the Marines.

edited January 2021
    The trump Chump seditionists are also full of Qanon people, who think there's some secret army or something which will be unleashed on their enemies or something, it's very bizarre

Yeah when you think executing the Democrats will allow Trump to release the cures to all diseases and usher in a paradise on Earth, maybe you ain't too worried about the FBI at that point.

august on
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular

Who is Raz? I would advise against making such jokes on a public forum.

prominent seattle hip hop/social justice dude, there's been women accusing him of some bad shit for awhile now and as usual the accusations are probably true

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular

My thought since the 6th is that we will see zero mass protests/violence from that crowd again. They are just way too cowardly and way too much of a political minority (in terms of people so bought in that they will get Out There).

But what we will see are lone/small group attacks once things die down.

I don't think we see any similar event in the near future - the feds seem to be doing a good job of rounding up most of the folks who participated in the putsch and proving that there is actually a line where you can face consequences for your actions even if you're white and right-wing

But...the circumstances surrounding the uprising haven't changed. The Republicans who were out there claiming the election was stolen and Trump's truth is the only Truth are...still doing that, we're still in the middle of a pandemic and continuing to kick the can of economic crisis down the road a few months at a time. And, in a week, an administration that these chuds view as illegitimate will be taking power.

They're quiet now, but I really don't see things substantially de-escalating from this point the next time a major right wing event happens

https://www.salon.com/2019/08/18/qanon-is-the-conspiracy-theory-that-wont-die-heres-what-they-believe-and-why-theyre-wrong/

Some contractor who parked in the fire lane of my workplace yesterday had all sorts of Qanon stickers on their vehicle

Not cool at all

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    There's some good people in the Marines, but the way their recruiters market themselves (the whole the few, the proud type of stuff) tends to attract a lot of men who are full on the toxic masculinity train. Not that other branches don't have those types of people, but in my experience it was more pronounced in the Corp.

Not really surprising to see them falling for the strongman, authoritarian act.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
This discussion has been closed.