As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I wanna put a stock on it and make the silliest SBR

It’s a break action reload, the whole top swings up

David Walgas on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I've never shot 5.7. I wonder how the pistol handles.

5.7 out of my Ruger-57 is actually pretty easy on the wrist. Like, I'd say it falls somewhere between .380 and 9mm in terms of felt recoil.

Also:
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    That is not the most ridiculous gun I've ever seen but it's definitely close.

Like, am I wrong or does that thing load from the front.

It breaks open along the 'slide'. So you'd lift up on the rear of the 'slide', flip up (pivot by the barrel), place a magazine in, and drop the slide on top of the magazine. KelTec's webpage for the pistol has an image with the 'slide' up and in the reloading position.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    hey look at these hotshots

affording 50 rounds of ammunition

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »

50 rounds of 5.7! That cant be cheap.

50 rounds of 5.7! That cant be cheap.

Hey it’s only *checks ammoseek* $90 a magazine. Yikes.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hmm...times sure have changed. Almost exactly 11 months ago today, I figured I'd need the ammo anyways, so picked up 3 boxes of 50 rounds of 5.7 at $29 per box and a 500 round brick for just shy of $280. Had I known it was going to be nigh impossible to get those prices for over a year, I'd've picked up a second brick.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Hmm...times sure have changed. Almost exactly 11 months ago today, I figured I'd need the ammo anyways, so picked up 3 boxes of 50 rounds of 5.7 at $29 per box and a 500 round brick for just shy of $280. Had I known it was going to be nigh impossible to get those prices for over a year, I'd've picked up a second brick.

Hindsight is 20/20. The last time ammo prices were good was 2020. I'm sure there is some sort of joke to be made there. The last time I bought 9mm it was last year and I paid 19cpr. I would have bought so much more 556/223/9mm if I had known how bad it would get. I would have also bought an AK and loaded up on the glut of dirt cheap import steel ammo so I could at least go out in the woods and shoot something.

Obviously this isn't the thread to discuss the specifics, but with everything coming down the pipe I am going to try and pick some more up today, because I think that when it comes to ammo pricing and availability this is as good as it's gonna get for a while.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Same. I'm just slowly building up my reserves at this point a box or two at a time as I can afford it. 9mm is pretty much off the table completely for me.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hot damn, just for shits and giggles I searched on Natchez for 7.62x.54 for my Mosin, and even that is sold out.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Yeah, the SRA had to outfit their members with enough ammo to get a volley off.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    Speaking of commie ammo, I just found some tula 7.62x39 in stock for way way too much, but I bought it because it was like 20 cents per round less than prices elsewhere at the moment.

What have we become

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Speaking of commie ammo, I just found some tula 7.62x39 in stock for way way too much, but I bought it because it was like 20 cents per round less than prices elsewhere at the moment.

What have we become

Shouldn't be more than .20 period, ugh

I got lucky buying a bunch of handgun ammo at the end of 2019 but I'm burning through it slowly

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I had joked about buying a crate of .223 for speculation years ago and if ammo ever goes down again I'll buy as much as I can of 9, 40, x39. and 223

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    If you’ve got an AR and are struggling to feed it, CMMG makes a decent 22 bcg replacement. A few 223 rounds through it to knock the gunk out and it runs well enough. If you do go this route, the S&W magazines are easier to load than the one it comes with. And if you wanna get real weird, it’s shootable with an open LAW folder since the bolt and buffer are internal to the bcg so you can pretend it’s an AR18.

Though I did see 22LR for 17cpr recently so even that’s going up.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Anybody messed around with one of these before? Seems like a pretty cool practice tool.

https://www.itargetpro.com

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    A guy I work with swears by them.

I had some time to kill today, so I decided to put lipstick on a pig nail polish on a Hi Point:

ij4b7s8gahnm.jpg

I finally got around to polishing the feed ramp, so now I need to get out and put some rounds through it and see how it runs sometime soon. (Also, I would like to mention that after the cost of the pistol itself, the replacement grips, the sandpaper, the fingernail polish, and the non-acetone fingernail polish remover I have finally hit the point where I have spent more than a hundred dollars on this gun.)

Also, I should take my actual CC pistol out shooting to get some practice in. I'll be able to do this because I managed to snag 250 rounds of 9mm for 36cpr this morning.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    That is a good looking high point

are YOU on the beer list?
    I had some time to kill today, so I decided to put lipstick on a pig nail polish on a Hi Point:

ij4b7s8gahnm.jpg

I finally got around to polishing the feed ramp, so now I need to get out and put some rounds through it and see how it runs sometime soon. (Also, I would like to mention that after the cost of the pistol itself, the replacement grips, the sandpaper, the fingernail polish, and the non-acetone fingernail polish remover I have finally hit the point where I have spent more than a hundred dollars on this gun.)

Also, I should take my actual CC pistol out shooting to get some practice in. I'll be able to do this because I managed to snag 250 rounds of 9mm for 36cpr this morning.

1c3.jpg

Kidding, that actually looks pretty good and for less than $100 it goes bang

They're certainly better made than your Raven or Jimenez Saturday Night Specials from the 70s-80s

Yeah all things considered, even if I had never put anything into it other than some elbow grease I gotta say it was a solid way to spend $75. Now all I need to do is find a replacement mag release button (because the original one fell off before I bought it).

Also don't tell my wallet, but I picked up a new stock for my AR this morning as well. Fun day so far.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hi, hoping someone here might have some suggestions. Midwest US.

"My friend" be picking up some guns probably next week as currently they are unsupervised in an open display case. No one is going to be there for awhile and due to current culture/political climate, seems unwise to leave them.

However, they are not currently licensed to carry or own, and honestly most of the guns may have be bought before that was a thing. Don't recall what all is there, but believe it's a small 3-5? collection of small caliber rifles and shotguns, maybe one pistol or revolver.

So, is this a terrible idea? Any recommendations/suggestions? The friend will be getting some sort of locking case for them, no intention to use. Any suggestions on a cheap but functional case would be appreciated. Thanks.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    As long as they aren't in Illinois, and they have permission from the owner of course, it's fine for them to possess them. For transport, they should be cased and unloaded. Harbor Freight makes some good Pelican knock-off hard cases that are lockable.

nibXTE7.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Thanks. So.. just for shits n giggles, purely hypothetical, what if this was all in Illinois?

I understand the laws are a little stickter, right? Like can't even buy ammo without a FOID?

Edit: other option is to relocate elsewhere on property. There's several buildings. And friend could/would remove any ammo.

MichaelLC on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Can't possess guns or ammo, yeah. If that's the case I'd say figure out how to secure them where they are, a locked case in a locked closet if possible.

nibXTE7.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

ij4b7s8gahnm.jpg

1c3.jpg

Kidding, that actually looks pretty good and for less than $100 it goes bang

They're certainly better made than your Raven or Jimenez Saturday Night Specials from the 70s-80s

My biggest regret is not buying a Raven .25acp semi auto for $60 four years ago.

Then again, I like being able to use both of my hands because a tin alloy .25 Raven didn't explode in one of them

I've decided on my 2021 gun purchases through like June since there's no shot show this year.

Remember your gun safety everyone! Know what is behind what you are shooting! My Dad found this bullet imbedded in the siding of one of our pump houses on the property today. It had to have came from one of our neighbors on the road. It appears to be a 45acp round and it hasn't been there too long. We're thinking it was someone being dumb over new years.

f398zua8sa35.jpg

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    That's rather frightening :(

edited January 2021
    It was a nice day for Pew Pew. Had a couple friends out for socially distanced plinking. My wife and my buddies wife learned how to shoot a bit. Both loved the .22LR Ruger rifle with the scope. Cheap gun and cheap scope, but it makes it easy to figure out how to do everything without being intimidating. Worked on sighting in the AR, and just plinked with everything else. Only burned through probably 300 rounds total between all the guns, and only a couple magazines of the 5.56, thank goodness.

rebhoy0ksb92.jpg
    2tc3woarvjl4.jpg
    q9vsd3bqt1va.jpg

webguy20 on
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    When can I come over?!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      I went out shooting with an old roommate and a friend of his, out in the woods. We set up some targets, did some pistol drills, and worked on some longer range stuff with our rifles. My friend brought his AK and managed to shoot the shepard's hook holding a gong up, which would have been a phenomenal shot had it been intentional. It felt really good to get a solid zero in with the AR-15 and start taking some much longer shots with the irons. The third guy had an AR with a can, so it was nice to be able to fire one and be able to experience the difference in sound levels compared to mine.

I did manage to enact some self control and limit the amount of rounds I shot, which was good. I do miss the days of not caring how much ammo you blow through in a session because you can just pick up a pile of it the next time you're at the store.

Also I should mention that I brought my pistols as well, and the Hi Point ran flawlessly until the exact moment that the two other guys I was there with came down from the vehicles and it immediately jammed three times over the course of 7 rounds.

Anybody have any recommendations for a smaller than 12ga shotgun? Preferably break action single shot or over-under. I want a decently cheap shotgun that I can hand to anyone, man or woman, with low shooting experience and have a good time with. Most likely blowing up fruit or shooting clay pigeons. 20ga is nice but tiny, but I'm not sure if there are a lot of options at 14ga/16ga.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
      Anybody have any recommendations for a smaller than 12ga shotgun? Preferably break action single shot or over-under. I want a decently cheap shotgun that I can hand to anyone, man or woman, with low shooting experience and have a good time with. Most likely blowing up fruit or shooting clay pigeons. 20ga is nice but tiny, but I'm not sure if there are a lot of options at 14ga/16ga.

Just for the sake of ammo availability I think 20 gauge is probably still the best choice. I can't remember if I've even seen 14 or 16 gauge ammo in stores around here.

Big Dookie wrote: »
      I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
      3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

You can buy low power 12g shells that are a lot easier for smaller/lighter people to fire.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
      Just get a 20 gauge. Anything not 12 or 20 is going to be expensive as shit.

.410 is fun, but expensive.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
      That_Guy wrote: »

You can buy low power 12g shells that are a lot easier for smaller/lighter people to fire.

Yeah Fiocchi makes several lines of low-recoil 12 gauge rounds that are very comfortable to shoot, especially in a semi-auto. I have a whole case of rifled, low recoil slugs for 50 yard target hitting with my shotgun that are a peach to shoot.

Do any of you have a recommendation for an AR-15 grip that is better suited to larger hands? I know that Magpul is going to release one later this year, but I don't want to wait that long.

edited January 2021
      Do any of you have a recommendation for an AR-15 grip that is better suited to larger hands? I know that Magpul is going to release one later this year, but I don't want to wait that long.

Ergo Tactical Deluxe. I have the largest hands of anyone I know (I'm 6'6") and it's perfect

Edit: it's also super super comfortable, besides the good fit.

Doc on

Ergo Tactical Deluxe. I have the largest hands of anyone I know (I'm 6'6") and it's perfect

Edit: it's also super super comfortable, besides the good fit.

Can 2nd this recommendation. I've replaced all of my AR grips with the Ergo Tactical Deluxe grip. Including the palmshelf variant for my benchqueen AR

znfrsypf0rz1.jpg