As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hitman]

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    There's bound to be some dlc options in Hitman 3 to get all the old stuff if you don't have the old games, so they may have some better options there once it's come out.
    Given that it was separate from the main game, I'd expect a separate purchase option like the Patient Zero stuff.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Unfortunately no, it's coming out all at once like with Hitman 2.

Too bad. That was a cool concept for that game.

I could be in the minority, but I was very pleased they got rid of that feature in 2 (it was one of my primary praises of that game)--it's not like it excluded the possibility of after-the-story DLC either.

What I really wish for is binding all your inventory unlocks--provided you had the prerequisite DLC--across platforms to the IOI Account or whatever was necessary. I think they could make a neat sum encouraging people to buy the games on PC as well as console by doing so, though maybe not enough to justify the effort and cross-platform account programming. Ah well.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Hitman 1's episodic structure was a silly and blatantly corporate move. But damn if they didn't actually manage to pull it off. But I think the game succeeded despite the episodic nature, not because of it, and it was a good thing they ditched it for 2. Though it was kind of equally silly they still kept the overall structure, like the levels being separate downloads. At that point it was probably just to keep the overall feel of the games the same, which I actually kind of like, and it looks like 3 is also going to be exactly the same.

I utterly devoured 1 and 2 to completion. To the point that when the news came that there was no way to import your stuff from 1... well I just completely 100%'ed those levels again. I preordered the PS5 version, and I'm actually debating if, in order to just refresh myself on the story, to dust off the PSVR and do a quick run of 1 and 2 in VR. I'm just curious how well it'll control. The videos show 47 tapping people on the shoulder, blind firing around corners, and other freeform movement stuff... but apparently the game doesn't support the move controllers? So that's... pretty dang weird.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I 20/20 Mastery'd all of Hitman 1, but when they didn't carry over to Hitman 2, I didn't want to do them all over again, so I ended up losing all my unlocks.

I also played way less of Hitman 2 than I did Hitman 1. I liked the episodic structure because I could meander in a level for a while before the new one came out. With the big dump of Hitman 2 levels all at once, I just wanted to beat them and get to the next one. ESp the levels that end a specific way, like the one in the suburbs,

I messed around with the NYC bank level a bunch because it came out later as DLC.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Last minute change-up for PC players, turns out EGS isn't going to play nice if you own the Steam versions after all. So in order to import the Hitman 1 and 2 levels, you need to actually own them on EGS. To remedy this, Hitman 1 is being given away for free for a limited time if you purchase Hitman 3, and Hitman 2 is being discounted by 80% for a limited time.

I was going to wait a year for the Steam release anyways (though they better not screw me out of any limited time content), but figured others might need to know.

quoting @Lars for this because this is good info and it makes me REAL ANNOYED. I am cancelling my preorder because of it.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Last minute change-up for PC players, turns out EGS isn't going to play nice if you own the Steam versions after all. So in order to import the Hitman 1 and 2 levels, you need to actually own them on EGS. To remedy this, Hitman 1 is being given away for free for a limited time if you purchase Hitman 3, and Hitman 2 is being discounted by 80% for a limited time.

I was going to wait a year for the Steam release anyways (though they better not screw me out of any limited time content), but figured others might need to know.

quoting @Lars for this because this is good info and it makes me REAL ANNOYED. I am cancelling my preorder because of it.

Welp, that's a clear reason to not get the EGS version if I've ever seen one.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Welp, that's a clear reason to not get the EGS version if I've ever seen one.

yeah fuck that, see you next year 47

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I don't think this is correct.

On this page they say
    – Progression can only be carried over from within the same platform. There are only three options:

HITMAN 2 (PlayStation) → HITMAN 3 (PlayStation)
    HITMAN 2 (Xbox) → HITMAN 3 (Xbox)
    HITMAN 2 (PC/Steam) → HITMAN 3 (PC/Epic)

Which suggests that progress does carry over from steam via the IOI account.

Further down, where the confusion is coming from, they are talking about the Access Pass. Which is a thing you need to buy if you don't own the previous games.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    I don't think this is correct.

On this page they say
    – Progression can only be carried over from within the same platform. There are only three options:

HITMAN 2 (PlayStation) → HITMAN 3 (PlayStation)
    HITMAN 2 (Xbox) → HITMAN 3 (Xbox)
    HITMAN 2 (PC/Steam) → HITMAN 3 (PC/Epic)

Which suggests that progress does carry over from steam via the IOI account.

Further down, where the confusion is coming from, they are talking about the Access Pass. Which is a thing you need to buy if you don't own the previous games.

Correct, but previously they said you could get your levels from 1 and 2 from steam into epic for free

Now you have to buy the access pass for hitman 2 on epic. So, I do own the previous games on steam. And they'll carry over my progression, if I also own the games again on epic. They're giving away Hitman 1 for free for ten days if you buy Hitman 3, but hitman 2's access pass will be 80% off instead of free like they previously had stated.

• Options
    If people were misunderstanding something, their social media people would probably be trying to correct the angry mob instead of ignoring them completely.

It sure *sounds* like you have to pay for stuff you already own

steam_sig.png

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Yeah the distinction between progress and playing the levels isn't clearly explained on that page. Guess that explains the discrepancy. What a weird situation.

• Options
    Their social media is usually extremely friendly and front facing.

Nowhere to be found today.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    For what it's worth, I had nearly the same problem with 2 on Playstation. I was this close to just shrugging my shoulders and buying the legacy pack, until I finally learned I was entitled to get it free as a H1 owner. It required redowloading a bit of 1 because they put the redemption option there, but thank god for episodic contend and "ready to play" style delivery, I didn't have to download the whole shebang. ...Though technically I did since I just turned around and redownloaded all the levels into 2. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I mean, I bought my key off GMG, so I doubt they'll refund me, but I guess I'll just have to play Hitman 3 as its own standalone thing.

If I want to play Hitman 1 and 2, I'll have to play Hitman 2.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I mean, I bought my key off GMG, so I doubt they'll refund me, but I guess I'll just have to play Hitman 3 as its own standalone thing.

If I want to play Hitman 1 and 2, I'll have to play Hitman 2.

I pre-ordered through GMG and got it refunded. You don't have a key yet I'm guessing so it's easy to submit a request to cancel your pre-order.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I refunded my EGS pre-order. I like IO, and normally I don't mind developers going for the cash with EGS...but when it directly effects me, as a customer who has already bought their games, I can't get behind that. When the EGS exclusivity ends I'll pick it up on sale.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Hitman 1's episodic structure was a silly and blatantly corporate move. But damn if they didn't actually manage to pull it off. But I think the game succeeded despite the episodic nature, not because of it, and it was a good thing they ditched it for 2. Though it was kind of equally silly they still kept the overall structure, like the levels being separate downloads. At that point it was probably just to keep the overall feel of the games the same, which I actually kind of like, and it looks like 3 is also going to be exactly the same.

I utterly devoured 1 and 2 to completion. To the point that when the news came that there was no way to import your stuff from 1... well I just completely 100%'ed those levels again. I preordered the PS5 version, and I'm actually debating if, in order to just refresh myself on the story, to dust off the PSVR and do a quick run of 1 and 2 in VR. I'm just curious how well it'll control. The videos show 47 tapping people on the shoulder, blind firing around corners, and other freeform movement stuff... but apparently the game doesn't support the move controllers? So that's... pretty dang weird.

The episodic approach was an enormous step back from Blood Money to me. Or at least I should say, the way they did the episodic stuff was a big step back.

In a practical sense, Blood Money was no less episodic and it was between-mission cutscenes largely tying a story together. However, the progression system was enormously better to me in the sense that I could play the full, complete game by just outright buying what I wanted between missions, and then the notoriety system meant sticking with failures had actual repercussions from mission to mission. Agent 47 felt like an actual part of the world there, not a piece in a game. And by the end of the campaign, your tools reflect your playstyle instead of being this big pile of unlocks.

Replaying a mission fifty different ways for unlocks is also the height of boredom and weak design for me. Don't get me wrong, they did a great job with making a lot of creative ways to "solve" missions, but replaying missions to unlock stuff to make it easier to replay missions to unlock more stuff screams padding to me. I'm playing a fucking professional assassin, let me build my arsenal by just buying what I want, not gating things behind a huge pile of secret or secondary goals (outside the odd fun item, like exploding ducks).

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular

The episodic approach was an enormous step back from Blood Money to me. Or at least I should say, the way they did the episodic stuff was a big step back.

In a practical sense, Blood Money was no less episodic and it was between-mission cutscenes largely tying a story together. However, the progression system was enormously better to me in the sense that I could play the full, complete game by just outright buying what I wanted between missions, and then the notoriety system meant sticking with failures had actual repercussions from mission to mission. Agent 47 felt like an actual part of the world there, not a piece in a game. And by the end of the campaign, your tools reflect your playstyle instead of being this big pile of unlocks.

Replaying a mission fifty different ways for unlocks is also the height of boredom and weak design for me. Don't get me wrong, they did a great job with making a lot of creative ways to "solve" missions, but replaying missions to unlock stuff to make it easier to replay missions to unlock more stuff screams padding to me. I'm playing a fucking professional assassin, let me build my arsenal by just buying what I want, not gating things behind a huge pile of secret or secondary goals (outside the odd fun item, like exploding ducks).

I have to agree with this.

I tried to get into the first Hitman and I think I've gotten to Morocco or Bangladesh, I forget which one. And I completely lost interest. This is from a guy who played that trash game Absolution to the end.

Ironically, Hitman was exactly what I wanted in terms of gameplay but not what I wanted in terms of execution. As much as I enjoy figuring out cool ways to take out a target, I much prefer the story weaving it altogether. The reason I forced myself through Hitman 2: Silent Assassin which had that god awful Japanese level where ninjas could see you a thousands of miles away, is because I was interested in the story and what cool location I would be taken to next. However, these were also games I played as a kid when I had more free time. Now that my time is more limited, I don't really like the enormous levels in the new Hitman game. Either that or I can't seem to get into the world because I'm missing that story thread that ties it altogether.

I enjoy roleplaying 47, and in the original "Codename 47" I remember RP'ing the heck out of the first mission where the red dragon and blue lotus meet. I would get the sniper rifle, bring one bullet, one fiberwire just in case, and at the start of the mission I would walk-never run. I walked as the limo passed by and walked past the thugs loitering around the elevator. I would take the elevator up, calmly remove the sniper rifle from the case, and have 47 line up his shot so that both characters could die. (Only supposed to kill one.)

Then he'd put the gun back in his case, take the elevator down, walk past the thugs, and walk back to his car as if nothing had happened.

You can probably do the same in the modern Hitman games but I just don't have the time that I did when I was a kid to walk around and memorize those gigantic levels. I think Hitman 3 could be the return to form I need but I'm not exactly going to rush out and pick it up.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    I'm sort of resigned to waiting until Hitman 3 comes to Steam in a year. Integration of the first game's "episodes" into Hitman 2--even with some of the improved mechanics, just as hiding in tall grass--impressed me, personally, more than any individual level in the game. In no small part because the original Hitman--thanks to the episodic structure, I suppose--has an installation size on PC that's like those horror stories we hear about consoles today, except years ago, damn it. I'm regretting not having used the re-launch in 2016 as an opportunity to move completely onto Xbox (primarily because I wasn't going to buy the game episodically--I only bought it when it was re-released as a much-discounted complete edition). Considering I have a year to do it, I can actually see myself going about it now--Xbox gave away the full Hitman (2016) at some point in the past (not including the DLC I believe), Hitman 2 will probably come to Game Pass at some point anyway (and even if it doesn't, it's already been repeatedly discounted). A good update to the new hardware would make it comparable to playing on my GTX 1080ti with an old i5 (or better, considering the PC's crap HDR implementation), so the only thing I'd be missing would be costume rewards for the elusive targets.

It's an option in my own circumstance. Or I might just wait until the third game arrives on Steam--which is ironic, as I have zero inherent preference for Steam except the library continuity. If I could somehow recover all my progress and unlocks (and actually get Hitman 2 on the EGS), I might actually spend the money. As for the elusive targets, I assume they will cycle back because of exactly this reason (and why they recycled, repeatedly, in Hitman 2). If not, fuck 'em.

PC Gaming master race, eh?

• Options
    They've said they're shrinking the install size somehow for the new one.

steam_sig.png

• Options

If what they said is right, the game is 60-70 gigs, and it'll include all the data for Hitman 1 and 2. You just can't play any of those levels unless you have the proper access... so technically it's on-disc dlc, hah.

Dunno what wizardry they're pulling off, because looking it up a complete Hitman 2 install with everything on PS4 was around 84 gigs. But I'll take it.

The only absolute PITA is as a PS5 owner, if I want to play those VR missions, that install size doubles since you have to have the PS4 version installed too.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

If what they said is right, the game is 60-70 gigs, and it'll include all the data for Hitman 1 and 2. You just can't play any of those levels unless you have the proper access... so technically it's on-disc dlc, hah.

Dunno what wizardry they're pulling off, because looking it up a complete Hitman 2 install with everything on PS4 was around 84 gigs. But I'll take it.

The only absolute PITA is as a PS5 owner, if I want to play those VR missions, that install size doubles since you have to have the PS4 version installed too.

Per their explanation at PC Gamer (I think it was), the file size had bloated due to the episodic nature of Hitman 1 necessitating large amounts of redundant assets, as each episode had to be able to function independently.

By consolidating everything, they were able to apparently switch to a more ideal and refined compression tech.

• Options
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    It's gonna turn out to be a WB thing or an IOI thing, isn't it? Or a Valve thing?

Edit: or a false flag operation to make Epic look better.

Because what are the odds IOI didn't ask Epic about fixing this situation in the first place? Why would they go public with the "our hands are tied" statement without exhausting every option first?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    It sounds like a case of, "We had no idea so many people would complain so loudly, maybe we'll look into it." And admittedly, to some extent they'll need Valve to play ball, which they may not want to.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's gonna turn out to be a WB thing or an IOI thing, isn't it? Or a Valve thing?

Edit: or a false flag operation to make Epic look better.

Because what are the odds IOI didn't ask Epic about fixing this situation in the first place? Why would they go public with the "our hands are tied" statement without exhausting every option first?

I'm pretty sure its WB as they were the publisher last time, they hold the strings of what stores Hitman 2 is on

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It sounds like a case of, "We had no idea so many people would complain so loudly, maybe we'll look into it." And admittedly, to some extent they'll need Valve to play ball, which they may not want to.

Might be a wb thing but they shouldn't need valve to cooperate. They have an IO account that has all the info on what you own. There's even an account website where you can see all your unlocks and owned content.

I am curious since it's supposed to be 80% off for the access pass, what does the access past cost? If it's a dollar after the discount it's not that big of a deal but still annoying. That they haven't said yet is concerning though.

• Options

WOOO!

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-pre-launch-guide/

Relevant portion:
    HITMAN 2 Gold Access Pass
    Includes: Locations and missions currently available in the HITMAN 2 Gold Edition: Hawke’s Bay, Miami, Santa Fortuna, Mumbai, Whittleton Creek, Isle of Sgail, New York, Haven Island, plus 3x Sniper Assassin maps: Himmelstein, Hantu Port, Siberia and 4x Special Assignments.

How to get it
    – Consoles: If you own a digital copy of HITMAN 2 Gold Edition, you will be able to download this Access Pass for no additional cost. The price for this Access Pass will be listed as ‘free’ when you look for it in the store.

– Disc: If you bought HITMAN 2 Gold Edition on Disc, it will have included a download code for the HITMAN 2 Expansion Pass; you need to use that to get access to the content from the Gold Edition. See below.

– PC (Epic): For existing players, stay tuned for details on how to import locations. For new players, we have set up an 80% discount for this Access Pass for the first 14 days after HITMAN 3’s launch. It will also grant access to the HITMAN 2 Expansion Access Pass.

• Options
    Neat!

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I heard that Hitman 3 and the previous games have been optimised so that all three only take up about 100 gigs.

I recently preordered 3, and downloaded 2 while it was on sale (which included downloading the revised levels from 1). So does this mean I have to delete and reupload 1 and 2 in order to get the smaller file versions?

• Options
    T-Danger wrote: »
    I heard that Hitman 3 and the previous games have been optimised so that all three only take up about 100 gigs.

I recently preordered 3, and downloaded 2 while it was on sale (which included downloading the revised levels from 1). So does this mean I have to delete and reupload 1 and 2 in order to get the smaller file versions?

apparently not, as 3 is reported to contain all of 1 and 2 as effectively "on disc dlc" that is unlocked by checking if you have a license for them, so don't delete yet, also you might need access to 2 at least to do the items transfer

If you are on PC, you won't be able to get levels from 2 in 3 for free yet but IO have stated that it's coming (see basically this whole page)

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So I bought all of HITMAN 1 GOTY, HITMAN 2 GOLD, and HITMAN 3 DIGITAL DELUXE on the PS5. I owned 1 and 2 on the PC (Steam) but I also have a PSVR and the way they are using the DualSense controller both seem really cool.

I've installed everything, but it sounds like I'll be able to delete HITMAN 1 and 2 once all the content from the old games unlock in HITMAN 3?

Except for I think one thing that is only playable in its native game? Sinister Six or something?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    God damnit. Why don't I pay attention to prerelease news. This is EGS exclusive. God's sake. Why? This isn't an indie to title that needed the moneyhat.

. . . and that ownership shit sounds like a fucking nightmare.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »
    God damnit. Why don't I pay attention to prerelease news. This is EGS exclusive. God's sake. Why? This isn't an indie to title that needed the moneyhat.

. . . and that ownership shit sounds like a fucking nightmare.

The ownership stuff has been resolved as far as I am aware. You can import the stuff from 1 and 2 into 3 for free as long as it's on the same platform. So PC to PC, xbox to xbox, etc.

EGS exclusivity is annoying but since epic loves to hand out money and devs get a bigger cut from those sales, I don't see that stopping anytime soon.

• Options
    Also depending on who you ask, IOI definitely COULD use the money as an independent studio.

Things were pretty dire after Hitman 1.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Also depending on who you ask, IOI definitely COULD use the money as an independent studio.

Things were pretty dire after Hitman 1.

I know Hitman 2 wasn't a guarantee, but it rolled out and as far as I'm aware (definitely could be wrong) it sold pretty damn well (and has been supported up to this year).

. . .I dunno. I would just rather have been able to buy this on Steam (where I doubledipped on Hitman 1/2 for the PC performance) than drag a save over to EGS (which still somehow has one of the most barebones UI's in existence).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    If you watch the NoClip documentary series it's very clear IOI was in a bad way after Hitman 1. It was insanely popular critically and with people who played it but it had a really low attach rate. It wasn't until after they did the buy-back deal with Squeenix and put out the free starter edition (which was basically Paris) that it really started to take off.

I don't begrudge IOI doing everything possible to secure their financial future given where they've been. They just handled this whole level situation very poorly given the big promises they've made over the years with their "World of Assassination" platform play.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    If the choice is "Take the Epic money or shutdown the studio", I get it.

steam_sig.png