As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I adore Alpine Peaks. It has some actual geometry to it and if your team is willing to cooperate you can have fights play out in different parts of the map instead of the same bullshit all the time.

Edit - The exception being if Alpine Peaks is set on Domination.
    My experience with Alpine is that the enemy form a PPC firing line on the mountain ridge and then just sit there until you either wait out the 15 minutes timer or, much much more likely because I only have limited gametime and would like to actually do something with it, you walk towards them in frustration and end up dead before you get into your own weapons range. Can't break line of sight, they've open ground +1km around them and no weapons can reach them from cover beyond there. Add in some LRM boats and taggers for good measure.

I mean, sure, in theory your team also has those, but I'll be fucked if I'm not in a short range knife fighter in a team of brawlers every time it happens.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Henroid
    https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-M570-Wireless-Trackball-Mouse/dp/B0042BBR2S

Dunno if it's any good but it's what I use for my system

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at in the stream chat, the trackballs you spin with the thumb seem as though they'd be a lot more comfortable than the ones where you work it with your fingers (like Henroid was complaining about).

Like imagine a console controller where you operate the stick/d-pad with your pointer finger.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    @Henroid Were you playing about an hour ago? I may have played a couple with you!
    ea4c7d4abmid.jpg

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
      Oh lol there I am. Yeah I was playing up until about 10 minutes ago for the last few hours. At that time I tried taking my Orion out for a spin but I was having a shit time in it for some reason, just a bad night. I was doing much better in my Rifleman and in my Bushwacker.
      H3Knuckles wrote: »
      Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at in the stream chat, the trackballs you spin with the thumb seem as though they'd be a lot more comfortable than the ones where you work it with your fingers (like Henroid was complaining about).

Like imagine a console controller where you operate the stick/d-pad with your pointer finger.
      Yeah that's what I thought all trackballs were like. The thumb ones. It's definitely what I want, but the Amazon search I ran was giving me wireless for all of that kind. The only wired ones showing up for the first few pages were the weird "use your middle / ring fingers to move the ball" design which I've never seen before.

I'm a tech snob in the sense that if you're at a workstation, you can and should be using wired everything. Literally no reason to use wired stuff in this situation.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
      Glal wrote: »
      Betsuni wrote: »
      monkeykins wrote: »
      I HATE Polar Highlands. Hate it.
      There are people who build mechs based on landing on that map or the other cold ones. Total amateurs.

Which is why I always vote Terra Therma. People also don't realize that Tourmaline is actually hotter than Caustic.
      My problem with Caustic is that it effectively has no missile cover. If the enemy gets locks their missiles will just go "oh, pardon me, terrain" and fly like an inch above the surface, hitting you on the other side.

I'm getting to the point where I wish the maps were just plain random; like, yeah, I'd have to endure the shitshow that is Alpine every now and again, but at least I wouldn't keep seeing Canyon/Hibernal winning every time they come up. I haven't played on Viridian in two weeks and it's my favourite map.

Caustic and Polar are the two maps where you can expect the drop caller to ask “Who’s running the NARC for drops 1 and 2?” In Faction. Alpine becomes a game of long range PPC/ERLL tag on every game mode but conquest.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
      New experiment: Swapped my Rifleman's UAC2s for AC2s.

Oh lol there I am. Yeah I was playing up until about 10 minutes ago for the last few hours. At that time I tried taking my Orion out for a spin but I was having a shit time in it for some reason, just a bad night. I was doing much better in my Rifleman and in my Bushwacker.
      H3Knuckles wrote: »

Yeah that's what I thought all trackballs were like. The thumb ones. It's definitely what I want, but the Amazon search I ran was giving me wireless for all of that kind. The only wired ones showing up for the first few pages were the weird "use your middle / ring fingers to move the ball" design which I've never seen before.

I'm a tech snob in the sense that if you're at a workstation, you can and should be using wired everything. Literally no reason to use wired stuff in this situation.

Oh! I misunderstood!
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0876CHLBY

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
      What's the point of those trackball mice? Precise aiming?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
      Personally, I'll use the trackball that has the larger ball (so you're supposed to be using your index/middle/ring fingers to spin it) because it uses a different set of muscle groups than using a standard mouse (so it would stave off RSI). Like, I'll usually use one for work purposes and some flight games (and maybe RTS)...but I wouldn't even consider using one for general purpose gaming.

The one I used to use (which I still have) was the Microsoft Trackball Explorer...but I was kind of tempted by the Logitech Trackman. The main turnoff on the Logitech was that the ball doesn't free-spin as well as the Microsoft option.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
      I use a trackball at work, and a vertical mouse at home, and then a standard gaming mouse for gaming.

Same idea of not over stressing the same muscles.

edited January 2021
      Been thinking about a 4xMLas Cicada with ECM & TarCom and trying decide how fast is fast enough vs how big of a TarCom I can rock for more range/crit

Anybody got any experience with one?

Tox on
    • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
      PGI has posted a dev log stating that the Q1 patch is going to be low hanging fruit, and rough idea of where they're aiming for the future. Video is about an hour long, I've included a rough transcript by Magic Pain Glove from the Reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4P5kgLMScs
      1:20 Sales and December events : In short they are happy with the sales . The bestseller MRS CLAUS' BAKERS DOZEN sold over 15000 mechbays . They are also happy with the playercount increase during that period in december.

10:00 They are working on a roadmap. Its gonna be challenging to hit every date they give. They are gonna structure the year in 4 quarters , and Q1 is gonna be low hanging fruit . No exact date for the patch ( maybe February ) .

13:57 List of things they want to get in the Q1 patch : Increasing the player reconnection requirement.They are hoping to double it.

15:17 Daeron explains how things are not just an XML change . Talks about knock on effects . Fix a bug create 10 new ( things are tied ) .

16:28 Removal of CBILL unit cost .

18:23 Possible of having MORE than 1 patch each quarter. No less than 1 patch quarterly. MW5 also making their schedule a bit more complicated .

20:18 Showing us that they are serious. The more love we give them back the more they can ask for resources .

20:40 Boltons stay on when shot.First pass will check if it messes up hitbox collisions. Addressing possible concerns. "STAYONS"

23:27 Keeping the time of day static . And stuff related to time of day. ( Forest Colony 10AM , River City 10 AM etc , Crimson Strait (dusk) 6:45 PM etc...). Open to suggestions .

28:00 Increasing the CADET bonus . Giving them more stuff than just cbills and GXP. This is just the start of fixing the new player experience according to them. Contant Daeron trough email , for suggestions .

30:40 Lowering the logo intro volume.

31:40 Titles and badges coming for MWO Comp 2020

33:54 "Team" is working on MW5 and they are putting stuff in front of them asking what they can do. They are super busy and Daeron is thrilled with attention they are getting and says the "team" is onboard with the stuff they are proposing for MWO.

35:28 Roadmap talk . (They will be releasing a roadmap this month. ). Roadmap is gonna be fluid . Stuff is not set in stone but they will try to do as much as they can. Things can be removed , added , shifted . It is based of the forum threads. Q1 is low hanging fruit.

37:57 Q2 is about taking existing content and improving , re purposing and fleshing out different areas . ( Solaris maps in private match , faction play maps ) . Spawn points ( post about spawns in the upcoming weeks).

39:00 Getting peoples feedback on what mech variants (of mechs that are in the game ) that don't exist ( that you want to exist ) you want ? NOT NEW MECHS , but variants of existing mechs .

39:40 Q3 is about new content. (Q3 starts 6 months from now ) . Event queue ( maybe ) , maybe some player requested stuff . New features and new content.

40:39 Q4 is about ... Its gonna be on the roadmap :P (hahaha) . Example is maybe repurposing FP maps for quick play .

42:30 Dev VLOG might be a weekly thing , might be a monthly thing . The goal is to keep you guys as much informed as possible.

46:25 They will be redesigning BUNDLES OF JOY . ( Open to feedback )

48:21 More DEV Vlogs

49:20 This month MW5 discord channel is being expanded into a MWO channel as well .

50:00 Dev Hunts are coming back . Automatic reward implementation ( hopefully ) .

Generally: Q1 is improving minor QoL stuff (NPE, disconnect penalties, removing cost to join units, Bolt-ons no longer falling off, no more River City day/night cycle).

Q2 is improving various things (map changes, new mech variants, spawn points, etc).

Q3 is new content and new features (new chassis, new maps, new modes?)

Q4 is (insert shrugging gif here).

Speaking of which, they're asking for player input on new variants over on their forum. Personally I'd like to see the KGC-010 (King Crab with 2xLB-10X, 2xPPC, 2xSRM-6, all in symmetrical layout), and DRG-5K or 7K (Grand Dragon, just call it a Dragon. The 7K comes with an MRM instead of the LRM launcher, and includes a MASC).

I spoke about it on my stream but I tore my wrist back in 2012 and it was in a cast going into 2013. They originally wanted to have me get a wrist fusion surgery, but I was able to 'exercise' enough (move my fingers a lot) to build up scar tissue in my wrist, allowing me to have a mostly normal life still. Except for two things.

1) I can't do push-ups anymore because my hand can't move into that position anymore.
      2) If I do too much stuff on the computer it'll make my hand and wrist hurt, which is the big point here.

So it's a health issue. I wish we had cybernetic parts available at the commercial level because I would easily chop my goddamn aging limbs off and replace them.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
      I spoke about it on my stream but I tore my wrist back in 2012 and it was in a cast going into 2013. They originally wanted to have me get a wrist fusion surgery, but I was able to 'exercise' enough (move my fingers a lot) to build up scar tissue in my wrist, allowing me to have a mostly normal life still. Except for two things.

1) I can't do push-ups anymore because my hand can't move into that position anymore.
      2) If I do too much stuff on the computer it'll make my hand and wrist hurt, which is the big point here.

So it's a health issue. I wish we had cybernetic parts available at the commercial level because I would easily chop my goddamn aging limbs off and replace them.

What about switching to your opposite hand for mouse/trackball use? Wear-leveling your wrists, as it were.

Orca wrote: »

What about switching to your opposite hand for mouse/trackball use? Wear-leveling your wrists, as it were.
      lol my left hand is awful at coordination.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
      edited January 2021

Damn, sorry to hear that.

I've been struggling with left hand problems myself but nowhere near as bad as that. Hope you find a working trackball.

Morninglord on
      (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
      I'm gonna be back at it again this morning. Grabbing some caffeine before I start properly.

Or get em rotated, like tires

Change your username to Rakshasa

Inquisitor wrote: »
      I use a trackball at work, and a vertical mouse at home, and then a standard gaming mouse for gaming.

Same idea of not over stressing the same muscles.
      That's really clever. Maybe I should grab a trackball for work, it can't be worse than the fucking Magic Mouse when it comes to precision even without being used to trackballs...

I got raided during my stream this morning and the viewers and streamer that sent them my way were nice enough to help teach me some things.

First, apparently my Orion's nickname "Bitey"? There's a pro player / streamer who goes by that name. So I changed it. I was meaning to reference the Simpsons but I don't want to wrongfully invoke someone else's name!

Second, apparently there's a rhythm to firing UACs that can lower your jam chances. I'll have to work on this.

Third, fucking hell Commandos handle so jittery. I didn't buy one, someone linked me their build for one and I tried it in the testing grounds.

As far as I know literally the only place you can see mech names is in your own mech selection screen, so I don't really see why they'd matter to anyone.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
      Yeah you could literally call your 'mech "This Is The Streamer "Bitey" And I Didn't Ask For Permission" and literally no one would know

Glal wrote: »
      As far as I know literally the only place you can see mech names is in your own mech selection screen, so I don't really see why they'd matter to anyone.
      Nobody called me out on it or anything but I dunno, it's just my personal hangup of me being hard on myself.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
      I got raided during my stream this morning and the viewers and streamer that sent them my way were nice enough to help teach me some things.

First, apparently my Orion's nickname "Bitey"? There's a pro player / streamer who goes by that name. So I changed it. I was meaning to reference the Simpsons but I don't want to wrongfully invoke someone else's name!

Second, apparently there's a rhythm to firing UACs that can lower your jam chances. I'll have to work on this.

Third, fucking hell Commandos handle so jittery. I didn't buy one, someone linked me their build for one and I tried it in the testing grounds.

If you think they are jittery in the Testing Grounds just wait until your laser arm fell off, it is 4 v 4, the enemy has 3 assaults left and your 3 teammates are mostly orange.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

lol my left hand is awful at coordination.

Practice makes perfect. The same was true for me until I used my left hand to to play Diablo 2 back in the day.

• RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
      Decided to spend my MC on a kaiju because I love king crabs and it's apparently a decent hero.
      Game 1 with it could have went better... but I did bully into a fafnir and sweep it's legs out.

I might try to put quad heavy ppcs on it even though it'll be terrible with the low arm mounts.

Speaking of Fafnirs, this morning I ran into one that was equipped with missiles. That blew me the fuck away (literally, it did eventually kill me).

Okay I did something silly with my Crab. I upgraded its engine to the highest (I think) XL grade it could carry (it previously had a 270ish standard). Its speed is just shy of 100kph now, and with six MPLs it's become a hit-and-run harasser.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
      Okay I did something silly with my Crab. I upgraded its engine to the highest (I think) XL grade it could carry (it previously had a 270ish standard). Its speed is just shy of 100kph now, and with six MPLs it's become a hit-and-run harasser.

How? I bought the 6MPL Crab during the sale, and I hate how slow it ended up.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
      Dropped in my Bushwacker. My lance had three other Bushwackers.

THERE WAS MUCH DAKKA.

ew9y0DD.png
      3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
      edited January 2021
      monkeykins wrote: »

How? I bought the 6MPL Crab during the sale, and I hate how slow it ended up.
      Ah, I misspoke about the engine; I upgraded it to an XL 300, which is the last grade it goes up in .5 ton increments before going up by multiple tons. It could technically fit up to a 325 but the tonnage increases dramatically even for an XL.

This is the build for my Crab.

Edit - Oh shit I loaded the game to double check and I got something wrong in replicating the build on the site; updated now.

Henroid on
    • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
      Weird Battletech quirk: I shot the building bout from under a turret and it just dropped to the ground, unharmed. Oookay then.

Also had an amusing convoy ambush where things glitched out- probably because of a mod?- and everything spawned together. The two farthest apart units were still in walking range of each other.

Furball was underselling it.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
      edited January 2021
      Welp, it's been a spell... wish me luck...

p3j8l9nq4jne.png

Edit: oh boy all of my skill trees seem to have been reset/refunded.

Inquisitor on
    • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
      Who's the person on the Battletech Extended team who felt that turrets needed to be 200is+ uncrittable piles of armor?

I just wanna talk.

I just wanna talk

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
      Yea turrets are hot BS on BT extended

wbBv3fj.png
      In MWO are IS MPLas a lot better than MLas? I'd figured the range and weight vs heat would negate the cooldown/duration

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
      Depends on what you're trying to do. MPLas have way shorter cooldown and beam duration with a shorter range so they're better for brawling, but MLas have half the weight, less heat, and more range, so they're better all-rounders.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
      Goumindong wrote: »
      Yea turrets are hot BS on BT extended

fortunately its not that hard to find and edit the .json files but still why?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
      MechMantis wrote: »
      Depends on what you're trying to do. MPLas have way shorter cooldown and beam duration with a shorter range so they're better for brawling, but MLas have half the weight, less heat, and more range, so they're better all-rounders.
      Lately my decision on Pulse vs regular Lasers has to do with what role I'm filling in the battle. If I'm playing something where I can't really afford to be taking damage or have to be moving fast, I go with Pulse because they lay their damage out in a shorter time frame. If I'm playing something deliberately tanky or something I can fight at extreme range with, I use regular lasers because the burn time is something I can afford to show my face for. Heat management comparison between the two laser types should be a secondary or even tertiary consideration, because how they feel to use in any given chasis in an actual match is way, way more important.

Whether you choose Pulse or regular, after that the laser size is a matter of range you want, and then maybe heat consideration. Small is almost exclusively for brawling and is preferable over medium lasers if you need heat management, but otherwise make for an "oh shit" backup weapon that's situational for other roles. Large I'd only aim for if you have very few laser hard points, but then you'd be considering them vs PPC weapons. Medium is basically the go-to that fits all roles.

At the end of the day, people should always be trying out each type for a few matches, see how it plays out.