As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have a question
    The gratuitous babe art and rather NSFW figures of the Kingdom death series
    I got a few the Halloween ring tail and some others They have no instructions so I can kind of guess how they go together from the picture on the art card [not the model art} There is a lack online of people who built those two models {the ring tail and the NSFW one} I can guess but should I wait and see if someone builds them and go from there or?
    But other than the Wizkids D&D and pathfinder minis boast of being pre primed Are the wings of the aasimar primed as well? I can go over it with a contrast?

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Gonna be lazy and jsut do some Insta cross posting. My Raptors project is going pretty well so far I think. Mostly on track for the tournament anyway. 39 Days left and I technically haven't finished anythign yet, but 2 squads are nearly there, and everything else infantry wise in in the pipe. Only the vehicles are still bare plastic and giving me anxiety.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Looks fantastic. Is that armour airbrush plus a single highlight? really good effect.

• pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Anyone ever rejuvenated a desiccated pot of Citadel dry paint? My Terminatus Stone is currently a semi-solid blob of pigment.

Or should I just toss it at this point?

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    pardzh wrote: »
    Anyone ever rejuvenated a desiccated pot of Citadel dry paint? My Terminatus Stone is currently a semi-solid blob of pigment.

Or should I just toss it at this point?

I used Acrylic medium to res a few of the older citadel paints that were chunky

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, use a popsicle stick or a Citadel™ Texture Spreader to break up the lump to maximise surface area, then pour in some medium or airbrush thinner, level with the top of the pile of broken bits. Leave it to soak for a bit (the drier it is the longer it needs to soak) but several hours is a minimum. Sometimes up to a month, depending on volume etc. Adding agitator beads and shaking like mad¹ can help.

I am aware that Green Stuff World sells a paint reviver but I’ve not used it myself. I expect there are other, similar products on the market.

¹ note to self: get a benchtop test-tube shaker.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    I should have specified that this is a "Citadel Dry Paint" meaning made for drybrushing

Though I guess I could just turn it into a regular paint with medium?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    After discovering that the compressed air can airbrush our folks got us for Christmas doesn't really maintain pressure long enough to use useful, my brother ordered an airbrush compressor and a really nice airbrush.

It's so quiet! I'm so jealous!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    pardzh wrote: »
    I should have specified that this is a "Citadel Dry Paint" meaning made for drybrushing

Though I guess I could just turn it into a regular paint with medium?

The “dry” paints kinda start desiccated though so… maybe just use less thinner?

honovere wrote: »
    Looks fantastic. Is that armour airbrush plus a single highlight? really good effect.

Close!
    The armour is:
    AIRBRUSH
    All over Castellan Green
    Rhinox Hide into lower areas and recesses for shading
    Staken green highight
    Ogryn Camo hilight (but just the very raised areas)

Then with brush
    Black (Brown?) line with watered down Rhinox Hide to just make the shadows clearer.
    Edge highlight with Ogryn Camo

• DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    I thought Squigs were fun to paint but Troggoths are where it's at. Also some are wearing the corpse of a grot for a loincloth COME ON.

mfynmUB.jpg

edited January 2021
    I got a box of them to mak blood bowl trolls and it's just a fantastic kit. The details like that particular loincloth and all the different faces and it's so modular. Just really good.

Edit: working on the black orc team I'm also at the worst stage. Deciding on a paint scheme.

honovere on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    How the fuck did they find me
    wuO5Fxo.png

steam_sig.png
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    WIP Grimdark custodes Allarus Custodian. Using my fancy new gold wax paint.

Once it dries it'll need a varnish, then onto weathering.

wlu1dwp6m0ct.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    MORE RAPTORS. I am sick of green but must forge on. I did this to myselffffffff
    Ti9dAQV.jpg
    eXrKlzi.jpg
    4pWzOC7.jpg
    ASg2sAR.jpg

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Finally made some time to start painting again, finished my first model since August
    6nwf1pu7svx5.jpeg

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Finished up my Bladeguard Lieutenant. I've got 5 more just like him for an actual Bladeguard squad.
    retromarines_shieldlt.jpg
    retromarines_bladeguardlt_turn.gif

And I re-jiggered my old flexo-arm dreads with some nice 3d printed arms and gun to be a bit closer to the "big robot marine" goal I was originally going for.. This fellow will be a contemptor with multimelta.
    retromarines_contemptor01.jpg
    retromarines_contemptor01_turn.gif

website_header.jpg
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    those retro dome heads will always make me happy every single time I see them McGibs

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    those retro dome heads will always make me happy every single time I see them McGibs

I've been goofing off with them a little myself and they're so cool

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    I love the Beetlejuice arms on the dread

I also love that armies colors in general... Minis with that perfect color balance tickle happy parts of my brain. Nice job McGibs.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I always appreciate colour blocking that doesn't simply conform to panel shapes. a+ on those stripes.

edited January 2021
    Fukken love me a McGibs post. Always the coolest armies. I lot of the time when people decide they need to reinvent an army to make it unique it ends up worse, or feeling out of theme, but not the McGibs special.

I got sick of painting green so decided to do something different for my own sanity:
    QR0Qevk.jpg
    nT5Noc9.jpg
    wbJI8Oa.jpg
    Task failed successfully? Couldn't escape the green but at least its a different green. Smashed Luke out in a couple of hrs. The advantage of models that are basically one colour :P

Asher on
    edited January 2021
    Asher wrote: »
    Fukken love me a McGibs post. Always the coolest armies. I lot of the time when people decide they need to reinvent an army to make it unique it ends up worse, or feeling out of theme, but not the McGibs special.

I got sick of painting green so decided to do something different for my own sanity:
    QR0Qevk.jpg
    nT5Noc9.jpg
    wbJI8Oa.jpg
    Task failed successfully? Couldn't escape the green but at least its a different green. Smashed Luke out in a couple of hrs. The advantage of models that are basically one colour :P

That's a good face

also good black

also also good osl. nice and subtle

honovere on
    Thanks! The sculpt is great so it does most of the work. The later Star Wars Legion models are fantastic! The early ones ...
    D2ahZ3S.jpg
    Not so much.
    Yes that's supposed to be Leia.

Leia having Harrison Ford's face is pretty funny

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Great work as usual!

My preorder for maul and the arcs just keeps getting pushed back. Unfortunately it ruining my buzz for the game so I might just switch my order over to something more attainable.

My neophyte squad from the start collecting box is finished though. So pushing on with the GSC

A0ysjOl.jpg

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    MORE RAPTORS. I am sick of green but must forge on. I did this to myselffffffff
    Ti9dAQV.jpg
    [snip]

It's not easy being green.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    I just had the best idea for a space marines colour scheme:
    Green arms and legs with a bone torso. Regular marines wear orange helmets, officer ranks in blue, chaplains have red helms and techmarines purple. Their librarians have grey helmets but wear dark red robes. All power packs are dark brown.
    WDYT?

• WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    That would certainly be one of the more colorful space marines you would find. Do it!

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I can't remember their username, but someone on this board has been collecting space marine figures and painting them to match classic Transformers toys, so why not?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited January 2021
    Fun fact I learned tonight.

If you apply a regular varnish like vallejo or army painter over a wax metallic it appears to take a shitload longer to dry.

And if it's not completely dry when you apply an oil wash, it all peels off like dead skin and the wax metallics blend in really fucky ways with the black oil wash you've just applied.

82b4cq1r5g9b.png

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Good tip.
    Wax metallic?

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Personally, I wax nostalgic.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Good tip.
    Wax metallic?

AK interactive makes some wax based metallics.

They look incredible, but they have bit of a learning curve

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I just had the best idea for a space marines colour scheme:
    Green arms and legs with a bone torso. Regular marines wear orange helmets, officer ranks in blue, chaplains have red helms and techmarines purple. Their librarians have grey helmets but wear dark red robes. All power packs are dark brown.
    WDYT?

You should fire up Hero Forge and make up a similar style mini with that paint scheme and show it off. It's free and a great way to trial color schemes.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Gloomhaven minis done. Tried using an embossing ball stylus on the rug. Wasn't as fine a tip as using just a regular brush.

Don't click on these unless you want to be spoiled on some of the unlockable characters. Gonna be extra cautious and put them in spoiler tags. :P

Two-minis
    Saw

The Troggoth journey continues. I didn't realize how many build mistakes I had made (gaps and mould lines) until I was well into painting, not very forgiving models for building.

sQLt4jh.jpg

I love the gloomspite range SO MUCH. I may grab a few of their kits just to paint. The models have got so much character.

Also, give me organic things to paint rather than power armor any day of the week.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »
    I love the gloomspite range SO MUCH. I may grab a few of their kits just to paint. The models have got so much character.

Also, give me organic things to paint rather than power armor any day of the week.

It's an amazing line of models, and I think the first time I've actually loved painting. Like I feel satisfied when I finish some Space Marines or Custodes, or after all the work that goes into a Titanicus model. But it's more that the finished product is gratifying to see, versus the time spent painting it.

Gloomspite are actively fun to paint, especially Troggs with their big, easy to access details.

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I printed and painted up a Loot Tick from Apex Legends this weekend as a gift for a friend.

First project I’ve done in well over a year. I limited myself to getting it all painted in one day so there is a few things I could have spent some more time on but I’m still really happy with it.

Sharp101 on