As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [ATLA/Korra] thread is spoiler-tagged, and you gotta deal with it!

18910111214»

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Finished the first season of Korra

Overall spoilers
    Overall I liked it - this is definitely a show that is more interested in all of the dumb questions I came up with while watching Avatar, which I do appreciate. I think there's been some overall quality drop with like, the worldbuilding (generic 1920s NYC vibes really aren't doing it for me) and the depictions of martial arts, but we'll see where some of that goes as the show moves forward.

My biggest complaint is that I really wanted some of these plots stretched over multiple seasons. The Equalists are a really interesting villain with some valid points, but they would be a lot better if we had seen Equalists (either treated seriously or as a joke) for a season or two before we get the version that Amon is wielding as a weapon. I wish we had gotten to spend more time with stuff like Korra and Lin losing their bending powers. The romance development felt very quick, overall, which I guess is an improvement from how bad Avatar was at dealing with its romance elements, but that's some faint praise. Even pro bending, which fucking sucks, would be more interesting if it were a background thing before it got made into the main plot.

And man does this show suffer from being a sequel. Every problem is bigger, there are way more characters to keep track of, the characters are clearly dark mirrors of the Avatar characters, all of that. Some of it works, but a lot of times it just ends up drawing comparison, which doesn't feel ideal.

Power rankings
    1. Lin Beifong
    2. Korra
    3. Pabu
    4. Bolin
    5. Naga
    6. Mako
    7. General Iroh
    8. Asami
    9. The Airbending Children
    10. Tenzin

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Overall spoilers
    Overall I liked it - this is definitely a show that is more interested in all of the dumb questions I came up with while watching Avatar, which I do appreciate. I think there's been some overall quality drop with like, the worldbuilding (generic 1920s NYC vibes really aren't doing it for me) and the depictions of martial arts, but we'll see where some of that goes as the show moves forward.

My biggest complaint is that I really wanted some of these plots stretched over multiple seasons. The Equalists are a really interesting villain with some valid points, but they would be a lot better if we had seen Equalists (either treated seriously or as a joke) for a season or two before we get the version that Amon is wielding as a weapon. I wish we had gotten to spend more time with stuff like Korra and Lin losing their bending powers. The romance development felt very quick, overall, which I guess is an improvement from how bad Avatar was at dealing with its romance elements, but that's some faint praise. Even pro bending, which fucking sucks, would be more interesting if it were a background thing before it got made into the main plot.

And man does this show suffer from being a sequel. Every problem is bigger, there are way more characters to keep track of, the characters are clearly dark mirrors of the Avatar characters, all of that. Some of it works, but a lot of times it just ends up drawing comparison, which doesn't feel ideal.

Power rankings
    1. Lin Beifong
    2. Korra
    3. Pabu
    4. Bolin
    5. Naga
    6. Mako
    7. General Iroh
    8. Asami
    10. Tenzin

I would agree but fart bending puts them much higher on that scale.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Overall spoilers

Power rankings
    1. Lin Beifong
    2. Korra
    3. Pabu
    4. Bolin
    5. Naga
    6. Mako
    7. General Iroh
    8. Asami
    10. Tenzin

I would agree but fart bending puts them much higher on that scale.

Oh no that's why they are were they are

Otherwise they would be significantly higher

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Turn on closed-captioning for this.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I do not think season 3 of Korra or really the whole show has aged well. It’s impossible to say that Zahire isn’t a bad guy but he feels like a toothless strawman in the wake of current events. I do not recognize him in the anarchists I’ve known or even the radicals who take things to far. The aftermath in Ba Sing Sa also reads as someone writing a riot and a revolution who doesn’t understand but thinks they do.

That’s every villain of the show really. The show does acknowledge that all her villains had good points but at the end of the day I don’t believe in any of them. A stark contrast to how thoroughly the dangers of colonialism were explored in the original.

Quire.jpg
  • AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    I do not think season 3 of Korra or really the whole show has aged well. It’s impossible to say that Zahire isn’t a bad guy but he feels like a toothless strawman in the wake of current events. I do not recognize him in the anarchists I’ve known or even the radicals who take things to far. The aftermath in Ba Sing Sa also reads as someone writing a riot and a revolution who doesn’t understand but thinks they do.

That’s every villain of the show really. The show does acknowledge that all her villains had good points but at the end of the day I don’t believe in any of them. A stark contrast to how thoroughly the dangers of colonialism were explored in the original.
    yeah, on my rewatch I read it more that it wasn't so much that Zaheer wants other people to be free as much as he doesn't want to be responsible for anybody but himself. It's part of why he values the whole airbending philosophy of being untethered, ie being free to not give a shit. I think it's earnestly believed, but more for selfish reasons than real concern for others.

I still think it's a step up from Amon and Unaloq, since their actual motives have nothing to do with what they spout off publically and so questions about equality/tradition just get dropped when they're revealed to be frauds.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    iMJFGug.jpg