As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tekken and Other Fighting Games That Aren't Tekken, I Guess (digital karate simulations)

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I'm part of Arcanis's local group. Games have been fun, always good to get conversations/games going with more people. I'd say I'm a fighting game amateur at this point, got enough exposure and practice with Granblue to know the basics, but it's putting it all together and executing it in real matches.

I'm so excited for GuiltyGear Strive this year.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    thanks for the granblue games tonight, was a TON of FUN

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I wonder if Nadj is able to be in KoF15 or if she's treated more like a guest character since she was created by a fan that won a contest? I guess they'd need a team for her to be on if she got in.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the only thing i dont like about this is that it potentially takes away from the awesome glory that was the 90s movie

• Options
    0fjgN1F.jpg

oh holy shit no

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Thanks for reminding me to unsubscribe, Gootecks.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Thank you for reminding me that I was still subscribed to that channel. I'll fix that.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I watched a few minutes. He tried to present InfoWars as legitimate media. That was all I could take.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    the man lost it a while ago, but losing it directly into a microphone for one 21 minute take is another level

posting it on the Cross Counter TV account as well. just, fucking, absolutely incredible stuff

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Spoiling this because of some pretty gross antisemitism, but a tweet thread from UltraDavid talking about some of the shit he's received over the years:

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I had forgot I was still subscribed to CC from the Excellent Adventure years. Had to fix that.

• Options
    I watched a few minutes. He tried to present InfoWars as legitimate media. That was all I could take.

yeah i caught some after someone put bits of it on twitter

but like... the voice is completely wrong? like that doesn't sound like gootecks at all

and the video doesn't show his face either

what the fuck is going on

• Options
    a lot of people in the comments are saying it doesn't sound like him either

to me it... kinda does? but i think its been so many years since we've heard from "happy" gootecks that we forgot what he sounds like?

to me it sounds like gootecks after he watched 800 straight hours of MAGA youtube and did a few lines of coke

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    gootecks in the horrible crypto shilling video i watched didn't sound like him either, it could just be a low quality mic (in that video's case, i thought it was poor audio quality from the VOIP call they were on). or maybe his voice changed, idk

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Even though I liked Teen Titans Go, I'm not sure how I'd feel about Street Fighter getting that treatment. If nothing else, TTG benefits quite a bit from how diverse and outlandish DC's universe is. SF wouldn't have as much potential material to play with. Still, the art is neat.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    i actually think SF's real dumb storylines could be good fodder for that sort of thing

and capcom would probably be really happy to get any kind of street fighter property into the hands of the under-13 crowd

also oh man would there be some diehards who would be livid seeing a cartoon like this

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I figure an art style halfway between DCAU and Teen Titans Go would be acceptable for the goofy sort of comedy cartoon for SF. That's probably the limit.

I've no idea how that would look.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So much of street fighters animated stuff is super rapey and skeevy I’d love a lighter counterweight

Prohass on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/mortal-kombat-player-disqualified-from-tournament-for-c-1846089002
    Nether Realm does the thing that corporations always fall into the trap of doing.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It’s so silly, like give them a chance to change it. It’s not offensive or anything. I’m shocked that fighting game players are talking about balance issues in this establishment

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Going to an organized event and crapping on an organization that helped make it possible seems like an asshole move to me, but yeah I don't see why they couldn't have just pulled him aside and been like "this won't fly, change it or you'll be disqualified". Give them enough rope to hang themselves.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    k3mFMJ7.jpg
    Due to the rising cases of COVID-19 worldwide we have unfortunately made the decision to cancel Capcom Cup and the Street Fighter League World Championship scheduled for February 19th through February 21st. While we strongly believe that we could have executed a great event with limited risk to players, staff and crew, we have reevaluated as the situation has evolved and the state of this global pandemic has heightened.

In its place we will be producing an online only Season Final so that we are still able to highlight the best players from this season. All players that won an online premier will be invited to participate in the final and we are in the process of reaching out to all eligible players to secure their participation. Details on the revised format will be available on CapcomProTour.com in the next few weeks.

We’d like to thank the fans, players and FGC for supporting Capcom Pro Tour through a challenging season. The community deserves a platform to celebrate their persistence in a challenging year, so our goal is to deliver that on February 20th and 21st across the Capcom Fighters network.

https://capcomprotour.com/capcom-cup-cancelled-due-to-rising-covid-19-cases-to-be-replaced-with-online-season-final/

oh i missed this when it happened

capcom pro tour finale is gonna be... online only

but the competitors will be playing from
    Phenom
    Norway

DR Mandrake
    USA

SKZ
    Singapore

Pikoro
    Peru

Takamura
    Belgium

Daigo
    Japan

Caba
    Dominican Republic

Nephew
    USA

Smug
    USA

AngryBird
    United Arab Emirates

Xian
    Singapore

Jah_lexe
    Brazil

Infexious
    UK

MenaRD
    Dominican Republic

Gachikun
    Japan

Jiewa
    China

Rumours
    Australia

Samurai
    USA

Luffy
    France

soooo.... the lowest possible ping you can get from the West Coast to Sydney Australia is about 120ms, but realistically you'll be getting 200-250ms even on a good connection

so it's gonna be real painful watching whatever happens with this, I don't really want to watch a grand finals where lag is the determining factor

Brolo on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    And honestly, there is enough toxic behavior out there that it's weird that they kick someone over... light ribbing?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    his player tag was simply too provocative for the game where a 4-armed monster rips your dick off, jams it into your heart, and then forces you to drown on the resulting blood spray

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I like how they make him look boring as shit for the first two thirds of that trailer, and then at the end it's like "btw, half screen spear normals plus Strider's ouroboros super, have fun"

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Oooh. Yes Please.

come on Anre.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Fighting game peeps:

Every few years I get the urge to get a fighting stick, but I always pass for one reason or another. The last few times, the excuse has been a lack of games to play with it.

My question is: Is the new 8bitdo fight stick any good for a casual fighting game fan who misses Soul Calibur 2?

I currently have a pretty decent laptop that I have not really tried fighting games with, a Switch, Wii U, Wii, and Xbox 360. I don't know if I'll ever get a PS4/PS5 or Xbox One/SX, but if I were to get anything it would probably be Xbox Game Pass for PC and a PS5. I know the 8bitdo doesn't work with the Microsoft/Sony consoles at the moment, but I don't know if that is on the horizon. I'd love to have a fight stick that is just universally compatible.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Fighting game peeps:

Every few years I get the urge to get a fighting stick, but I always pass for one reason or another. The last few times, the excuse has been a lack of games to play with it.

My question is: Is the new 8bitdo fight stick any good for a casual fighting game fan who misses Soul Calibur 2?

I currently have a pretty decent laptop that I have not really tried fighting games with, a Switch, Wii U, Wii, and Xbox 360. I don't know if I'll ever get a PS4/PS5 or Xbox One/SX, but if I were to get anything it would probably be Xbox Game Pass for PC and a PS5. I know the 8bitdo doesn't work with the Microsoft/Sony consoles at the moment, but I don't know if that is on the horizon. I'd love to have a fight stick that is just universally compatible.

Fam, do I have good news for you. Soul Calibur 6 is my favorite fighter this gen, and it's currently massively on sale. https://www.humblebundle.com/store/soulcalibur-vi

I'm also trying to peer pressure a group together, so I can round up a bunch of beginners to play with.

If you want a universally compatible stick, you'll want something with a Brook Universal PCB in it. These are more expensive than things like the 8bitdo, but they're compatible with Switch, PC, PS3/4/5, and all the Xboxes. So it's a money saver compared to buying multiple controllers for multiple devices, but it's a big price to swallow all at once.

For example, the folks at Paradise make this dope ass hitbox with a universal board for 225. https://paradisearcadeshop.com/products/mpress-fighting-case

• Options
    As for the general question of whether the stick is good enough, almost certainly. I haven't tried it, but all the 8bitdo devices I've used have been great.

But really, the controller you use in fighting games doesn't matter that much. I use mostly hitbox, but better players than me use stock dpad and do mind blowing work with them.

What's your use case? Are you mostly going to play SC with it?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My use case is that as a teen, I would wear through multiple layers of my thumb skin playing Killer Instinct - and while I loved every moment of it, the pain I felt during and after just sucked. I've never been great at using controllers for Capcom fighting games, because I am so used to the arcade setup. I could rock the hell out of a gamecube controller in Soul Calibur 2, cupping my hand over it so I could do some of the less intuitive combos. But... yeah. I just want an "entry grade" fight stick that is worth a damn. I'm also a massive fan of my SN30 Pro+ controller, even if the XYAB stuff doesn't line up right with the games I play.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Oh shit on Soul Calibur 6 being on such deep discount too.

Should I get the digital deluxe version with the season pass?

• Options

I think so, but I'm a huge fan of both the extra characters and the extra create a character parts. It's cheaper to get deluxe than buy the season separately

• Options
    templewulf wrote: »

I think so, but I'm a huge fan of both the extra characters and the extra create a character parts. It's cheaper to get deluxe than buy the season separately

Looks to be the exact same price?

Base game = $9.59 (84%)
    DLC = $14.99 (50%)
    Digital Deluxe = $22.49 (75%)

So like... marginal?

• Options
    My use case is that as a teen, I would wear through multiple layers of my thumb skin playing Killer Instinct - and while I loved every moment of it, the pain I felt during and after just sucked. I've never been great at using controllers for Capcom fighting games, because I am so used to the arcade setup. I could rock the hell out of a gamecube controller in Soul Calibur 2, cupping my hand over it so I could do some of the less intuitive combos. But... yeah. I just want an "entry grade" fight stick that is worth a damn. I'm also a massive fan of my SN30 Pro+ controller, even if the XYAB stuff doesn't line up right with the games I play.

Most modern controllers are easier on the thumb than that, and I regularly use a ps4 dual shock for 3d fighters when the cats are in the way of my hitbox.

But yeah that should work fine as an entry grade controller for KI or SC. And the fact that it has standard button sizes means you should be able to replace them as they wear out or customize it with different parts.

• Options
    I think I agree and I've been debating it for months, so... Fight stick and Soul Calibur 6 get. :)

This discussion has been closed.