As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    Mark Bell recently released a set of slingshot briefs, too. Too bad he’s such a garbage monster. I may consider trying these someday, but on the whole, my hips and back are doing pretty good, especially since I started using a reverse hyper on the reg. I also swear I have not had a sore lower back since I started using a deadlift bar.

And, yeah, if you don’t compete, who cares? I’m in the same camp. If it makes you stronger while having fun, do it.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I’ve heard briefs to be awesome, and was eyeballing the spud briefs. True to size, @Peen ?

And if you’re not using equipment to get better then why does it exist?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I found it to be true to size. Sizing is just weight based and I'm at the upper end of the weight limit for large and they're snug but feel right. The website says to go up a size for the two ply but I gambled and didn't and they're fine. I do need to use a hook on my rack with the loops on the briefs to get them past my giant ass and up the whole way but I figure that's what they're there for.

I follow three guys on social media that are pretty good inspiration conjugate wise and I know at least two wear briefs regularly.

Rob Golabek, Nate Harvey, and Jake Schum, if anybody is interested. Nate Harvey’s Conjugate U book is excellent and helped me understand Louie’s scribblings in a way to implement with athletes.

Six sets of pause bench, four sets of spoto presses, all five reps. So that’s...carry the two...divide by pi...fifty bench reps.

Am I bodybuilder now?

Yup, buy your trunks, we'll bring the spray tan tent by in the morning.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Hammering my aggravated shoulder with a massage gun has had way more success than I thought it would, should have been doing this a long time ago

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Massage guns are the best.

I put up a pegboard in my gym and man people are right, pegboards are great. Way to be right, everyone else.
    T7bADtAl.jpg
    WNugbjKl.jpg

I took Thursday and Friday off as I was pretty fried. Decided today would be a good idea to push a heavy single on squats in the garage.

Using the off brand buffalo bar that always bullies me on heavy singles, I worked up to a 505 single that nearly made my head explode. Then 2x2x405 and 1x4x365 for back off sets.

Finished with some single leg squats to a bench 4x7 each and RDLs just worked up to 2x5x275, my back was strangely tight.

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Finally figuring out routine with kid, after a few years off because...well...kids.

In past i always focused on strength, rarely sets over 5 reps, etc. But the long rests would mean hour+ workouts, which i just cant do anymore with time constraints.

So what ive settled on is basically brosplit-ish

Chest/tris
    * Bench
    * overhead tricep cable extension
    * tricep cable pushdown
    Legs
    * squats
    * cable hip abductor
    * cable hip adductor
    Shoulders
    * standing barbell overhead press
    * front lateral raise
    * side lateral raise
    * seated rear delt raise
    Back/bis
    * deadlifts
    * t-bar row
    * seated bicep curl

With one or maybe two rest days a week. All exercises are 3 sets with at least 10 reps (yes even the big bois). I am able to complete all these with ~35 minutes. Then shower and quick bite, allows me to do this during lunch break between meetings at home.

Think im missing anything here? Wonder if i should be resting more, but rotating the areas i feel like im giving them enough rest, but i know soreness isnt always the best indicator.

Having trouble figuring out how to hit chest more. Maybe swap pushdowns out with dips once i am strong enough to do that many dips?

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I like doing incline dumbell presses for volume after doing bench, but if you're trying to minimise shoulder usage on chest day maybe cable flyes?

I'm surprised there's no leg curls on there.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    edited January 2021
    I used to have 2 benches, one flat and one incline with leg extension/leg curl attachment. When we moved, needed to get rid of one and we got rid of the incline bench cuz it was honestly kinda shoddy quality. (Got off craigslist years ago). So that kinda messed up my goto for legs and incline "accessory" stuff. Which sucks, but wife says we dont _need_ one and we would we only have room for 1 bench, and the flat is good enough.

Re: leg curls, i have been eyeing those monkeyfeet foot attachment ads lately. Wonder if they are any good. Cuz ya, just squats doesnt feel like im really hitting them enough, but its forced me to think of other stuff - and ive never really done ad/abductor work before, so its an insteresting change.

I can only do 1 arm flys with the cable attachment i have. I did try them, but just didnt feel right given the angles. Cable stuff is an addition to my squat rack and has 1 cable up top and 1 cable down bottom.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    Nogs wrote: »
    I used to have 2 benches, one flat and one incline with leg extension/leg curl attachment. When we moved, needed to get rid of one and we got rid of the incline bench cuz it was honestly kinda shoddy quality. (Got off craigslist years ago). So that kinda messed up my goto for legs and incline "accessory" stuff. Which sucks, but wife says we dont _need_ one and we would we only have room for 1 bench, and the flat is good enough.

Re: leg curls, i have been eyeing those monkeyfeet foot attachment ads lately. Wonder if they are any good. Cuz ya, just squats doesnt feel like im really hitting them enough, but its forced me to think of other stuff - and ive never really done ad/abductor work before, so its an insteresting change.

I can only do 1 arm flys with the cable attachment i have. I did try them, but just didnt feel right given the angles. Cable stuff is an addition to my squat rack and has 1 cable up top and 1 cable down bottom.

For cable flys with a single pulley attachment: https://www.ironmaster.com/products/chain-fly-kit/

Disclaimer: I don’t have this, but I am very curious about it. If I hadn’t switched to a full on powerlifting program right before finding it, I probably would have picked it up.

I would add some lunges for legs, weighted or not.

Oooo interesting attachment...i might check this out

rotate.jpg
    edited January 2021
    You can do band hamstring curls. You can do manual leg curls on something that slides, glides, or rolls. Single leg squats to a bench are my favorite accessory. Split squats. Step ups. Banded leg extensions which are kind of a pain in the ass to do cause they blow up the hip flexors at the same time to clear the ground when you’re keeping your knees up.

Also, @Nogs your split looks decent enough, run it and see where you can tweak it in a month. I very rarely do more than 5 reps on my work sets but I blast through my warmup sets and superset shit on everything and then I’ll take my 1:30-3:00 minutes rest. But if you’ve had a long lay off why not do 3x10?

Edit: also you want to hit chest more, pushups? Arnold press? DB flys?

Dead Legend on
    Bench 8x60, 80, 100, 125 3x142, 2x155, 3x142 s/s fat handled DB rows 8eachx100# across the board

Giant set:
    Neutral grip chins 4 x 4
    Dips 4 x 8
    Neck raises 20x30#, 15x35#, 2x10x40#
    One final set of pull-ups for a whopping 5.

Feeling very bulked

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    You got weight on those chin ups?

Pretty sure DL's in the "big boys are the weight on chin-ups" camp :P

I don't remember where you weigh in Solar but I feel like if you're over 200lbs (90kg) then you're a champion if you're adding much weight to chin ups.

edited January 2021
    Hahahaha I weigh 75kgs, aint nothing too impressive about me :D

For sure I can respect that if you're weighter, bodyweight exercises are way harder

Solar on
    Solar wrote: »
    You got weight on those chin ups?

Not currently, but was doing sets of 5 with 10kg back during November.

As Peen said, I’m rolling heavy at 275 freedom units.

Absolute unit

Thanks!

Next time I hit chin-ups I’ll go for a 1RM for you, Solar.

It’s also good to know what I have in the tank when I have to cajole the male athletes into adding more.

edited January 2021
    Thanks!

Next time I hit chin-ups I’ll go for a 1RM for you, Solar.

It’s also good to know what I have in the tank when I have to cajole the male athletes into adding more.

Yeah go on, put me to shame. Although I have not been doing any chin-ups actually, just pull-ups with weight which is currently single rep maxing out at about 135% bodyweight (and wide grip ones, 4 sets of 4 reps with 120% bodyweight weight today, 4x6 wide grips for the lats, 3x 125 degree lock-off holds, felt pretty awesome. And then a weighted press-up routine). I haven't done a max rep pull for a while though, they are probably pretty bad for training

Solar on
    I mean I can't do a single pull-up just matching your bodyweight so you're already beating me hahaha

I mean, I’ve been training in some shape or fashion for 18 years. This thread is arguably the main connection I have to the forums aside from the gun thread. My numbers are basically lifetime intermediate.

But I don’t normally fool with normal chin ups, right wrist and left elbow don’t tolerate them as much. Neutral grip chins are comfortable and pull ups are comfortable, but clearly much harder.

I also thought about trying the Tom Haviland towel chin-up hang for time, but don’t think I’m there yet.

Putting a belt on over briefs is a giant pain in the ass! I understand now why gear guys all lean on racks to get their belts tight and why they look like they're dying long before they actually get under a bar. I actually don't know if I'll be able to wrap my knees while I'm in the briefs, I can also see why people lift in teams.

How long til your offspring can wrap knees?

Their hands are still pretty small, a few years at least I reckon. It's fine, I lift in wraps maybe twice a year so I won't miss it if I actually can't. I'm still basking in the glow of pain free squatting and that will be good enough for a while.

• HereticAstartesHereticAstartes Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    This has been a good week for me / bad week for my wallet. Ordered some Ursus low tops, hp trainers, and a 15lb macebell.

HereticAstartes on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Having been at this for just a few months I'm kind of shocked at how little weight I've been able to push on overhead pressing.

I think I mentioned it before but I forget if anyone said anything.

I started by failing on an empty bar and for sure have progressed from that and the holidays messed with my schedule enough to deplate but I'm just now getting to 55lbs and you know, damn.

Is that just how this lift is?

I know every time I do it I'll be better at doing it next time but it's hard to shake to feeling of "wow I suck at this"

How would I go about starting to bench press

Given that I have never done any actual weight based training before

I hate to answer your question with a few questions but they're important: do you have access to a barbell, and a bench, and a rack of some sort to put the barbell on and lift it off of? If not, what do you have? A bench? Dumbbells? Bands?

Because if you have access to a typical bench press setup (barbell+weights+rack/stand) then the answer is honestly to watch a few good technique videos and then start doing it and once you've tried it a few times you'll probably have more specific questions that we can help out with.

I have some dumbbells and I am getting a bench (which I think includes a rack? or I can get a rack for it?) off a friend which is why I am asking, really, never had any suitable equipment before and gyms are closed so

ah, cool! This video's a fine introduction to the movement, the one thing I take issue with is his description of how you're moving your shoulders back to get your back tight. It's hard to do with dumbbells because you're rolling back into your starting position (unless you have a dumbbell rack but those aren't common) and it's also inaccurate because you don't want to pull them straight back but rather back and down (sort of) but also there's lots of time for you to figure that stuff out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xphvjGDZeYE

Having been at this for just a few months I'm kind of shocked at how little weight I've been able to push on overhead pressing.

I think I mentioned it before but I forget if anyone said anything.

I started by failing on an empty bar and for sure have progressed from that and the holidays messed with my schedule enough to deplate but I'm just now getting to 55lbs and you know, damn.

Is that just how this lift is?

I know every time I do it I'll be better at doing it next time but it's hard to shake to feeling of "wow I suck at this"

OHP is tough. You can get some extra work in once you’re fatigued from strict pressing by treating it as a push press to move more weight.

I’ve found dips to be helpful with my press. As much upper back work as you can tolerate. Just pressing more frequently.

Let’s say you go bar x5 bar x5 55x5 55x5 55x5 then back down to the bar for as many you can get.

Peen wrote: »
    ah, cool! This video's a fine introduction to the movement, the one thing I take issue with is his description of how you're moving your shoulders back to get your back tight. It's hard to do with dumbbells because you're rolling back into your starting position (unless you have a dumbbell rack but those aren't common) and it's also inaccurate because you don't want to pull them straight back but rather back and down (sort of) but also there's lots of time for you to figure that stuff out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xphvjGDZeYE

Thanks, I'll give that a watch. Really I just need a way to target my chest more effectively and all the research I have found says "bench presses (and inclined and declined presses) are the no.1 most effective for your chest" so I thought I'd stop fucking about and go for it

Military 8x40, 5x70, 5x80, 3x4x88kg 1x6x70
    s/s neutral chins x3 1st 3 sets then weighted chins 2x10kg, 2x18kg, switched to pull-ups here 2x22kg, 1x24kg was a stretch to call it

Well, yesterday was my last chance to lift for a few days and didn’t get to while finishing up last minute chores before we were scheduled to be admitted to hospital.

But I am happy to report healthy baby and healthy mom!

• HereticAstartesHereticAstartes Registered User regular
    Got my macebell in! As expected, the 15lb one is pretty damn heavy. Not too concerned, I'll just take it slow.

This discussion has been closed.