As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BJ51sNNkqU

Another Hathaway's Flash trailer! Except I guess they dropped the "flash"

Oh brilliant
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wait, Hathaway Noa? How did I miss that?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    You know how you know you are an institution at your local gaming / gunpla store? When they do the live stream of their videos and call you out by name...

Oh man. I saw a flash or something of what appeared to be an MG Astray Red Frame. I need to go check that out.

Edit: Oh, specifically Turn Red.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    mentions don't work in edits...

@Heffling - now that I know youare the keeper of all things Astray, your thoughts on the aforementioned Turn Red? Looks like the kit is from 2018. Dunno if there are other size versions - I gotta admit I'm enjoying working in Perfect Grade...

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BJ51sNNkqU

Another Hathaway's Flash trailer! Except I guess they dropped the "flash"

It's weird that they're using just "Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway" for the English title/subtitles when the Japanese text/narration still says "Hathaway's Flash."

jgeis on
    So I may or may not have stopped into my game/gunpla store to pick up a certain MG model that was way more expensive than I was expecting but that's okay...

And in the process I showed off my PG Unicorn to a friend.

And he decided to make a video about it and post it to the store's page. So if you want to hear me running down my perfect grade, here you go!

https://fb.watch/37d2woDQRk/

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    So I may or may not have stopped into my game/gunpla store to pick up a certain MG model that was way more expensive than I was expecting but that's okay...

And in the process I showed off my PG Unicorn to a friend.

And he decided to make a video about it and post it to the store's page. So if you want to hear me running down my perfect grade, here you go!

https://fb.watch/37d2woDQRk/
    That's really awesome! Thank you for sharing this!

Also, dang, that store looks sweet.

The owners, managers, and employees really try.

You know how much of a stamp of approval it is that they dust frequently? :D

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The owners, managers, and employees really try.

You know how much of a stamp of approval it is that they dust frequently? :D
    I have been to game stores. I know how much that means.

Like don't get me wrong, there's a certain charm to cramped, dusty stores, with bowed shelves that haven't been replaced since the D&D Red Box was current, and product heaped up in arbitrary piles, but a clean store with thoughtfully-distributed merchandise that spans multiple different kinds of hobbies and friendly owners who try to encourage and build community? That's something special.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There was a model/hobby shop that had a dust discount
    What the discount was up for whatever anywhere from nothing to basically free
    In the basement they had a large selection of trains but they had the big boy train engine as you really a sense of scale when it's next to another train from the era
    jx9uofgnd2la.jpg
    The pic is from the early 60's
    Compared to seeing it sitting in a park
    00d5wi7irnai.png

• Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    So I may or may not have stopped into my game/gunpla store to pick up a certain MG model that was way more expensive than ...
    MGEX Unicorn Unleashed? :winky:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Is the unicorn second only to the rx-78-2 in number of unique kits for it made? Or is the zaku 2 probably still ahead of it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Hey I’ve been looking around for a place to order some tamiya spray paints but places online seem to generally be out of the colors I need

Anybody have any experience with those paints and also where can I buy them

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Is the unicorn second only to the rx-78-2 in number of unique kits for it made? Or is the zaku 2 probably still ahead of it

I think Zaku 2 probably beats it.

Unless we fold in the Banshee and Phenex, in which case I'm pretty sure even the RX-72 has a hard time competing.

X22wmuF.jpg
    So I may or may not have stopped into my game/gunpla store to pick up a certain MG model that was way more expensive than ...
    MGEX Unicorn Unleashed? :winky:

I've quite got my fill of Unicorns in my future, thank you.

No, I was jokingly referring to the Astray Turn Red I asked about above but didn't get feedback on. :D

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Do we count the Zaku 2 offshoots like the Kai, Mariner, Recon Type, etc as Zaku 2s?

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

@Heffling - now that I know youare the keeper of all things Astray, your thoughts on the aforementioned Turn Red? Looks like the kit is from 2018. Dunno if there are other size versions - I gotta admit I'm enjoying working in Perfect Grade...

Sorry, I missed the @. It's an OK kit, but I think it's priced a bit high for what it is. Basically it's the MG Astray Red Frame Kai with a 2nd of the Tactical Arms, a new backpack that franky doesn't do a very good job of holding both Tactical Arms, some energy cartridges that attach to a new back skirt, and a new V fin. It comes with a single small action base, but you really need either a large to display the mobile suit, or two small to have it doing something with both Tactical Arms. It doesn't come with the Gebera Straight or Tiger Pierce katana.

The way I have it posed right now is standing using the two Tactical Arms as extra legs for it to rest on, so that it achieves a level of balance. But the Tactical Arms fall off easily, and the cartridges on the back armor will fall off if you look at it funny. The very poor weight distribution takes one of the best posing Gundam kits and turns it into a brick.

You can Transform the Tactical Arms like normal, but you never will. The bow form really needs both hands, and you have two. The mining mode needs both forearms (one for each sword half), so you end up with an extra sword. And the backpack connection is so loose that the flight forms will never stay attached.

On the plus side, it comes with waterslide decals.

If you're getting your first Astray kit, I recommend either the MG Astray Red Frame Kai (single sword, one katana, small action base), the MG Blue Frame D (with all the crazy combining daggers), or the Sengoku Astray (both Katanas and a very cool oni shield that also works as a backpack, along with the extra augmented arms).

Actually I forgot they released roughly a million p-bandai Hi Mobility Zaku 2 variants it's got that on lock.

Also the like, 10 from The Origin

X22wmuF.jpg
    Heffling wrote: »

Heffling - now that I know youare the keeper of all things Astray, your thoughts on the aforementioned Turn Red? Looks like the kit is from 2018. Dunno if there are other size versions - I gotta admit I'm enjoying working in Perfect Grade...

Sorry, I missed the @. It's an OK kit, but I think it's priced a bit high for what it is. Basically it's the MG Astray Red Frame Kai with a 2nd of the Tactical Arms, a new backpack that franky doesn't do a very good job of holding both Tactical Arms, some energy cartridges that attach to a new back skirt, and a new V fin. It comes with a single small action base, but you really need either a large to display the mobile suit, or two small to have it doing something with both Tactical Arms. It doesn't come with the Gebera Straight or Tiger Pierce katana.

The way I have it posed right now is standing using the two Tactical Arms as extra legs for it to rest on, so that it achieves a level of balance. But the Tactical Arms fall off easily, and the cartridges on the back armor will fall off if you look at it funny. The very poor weight distribution takes one of the best posing Gundam kits and turns it into a brick.

You can Transform the Tactical Arms like normal, but you never will. The bow form really needs both hands, and you have two. The mining mode needs both forearms (one for each sword half), so you end up with an extra sword. And the backpack connection is so loose that the flight forms will never stay attached.

On the plus side, it comes with waterslide decals.

If you're getting your first Astray kit, I recommend either the MG Astray Red Frame Kai (single sword, one katana, small action base), the MG Blue Frame D (with all the crazy combining daggers), or the Sengoku Astray (both Katanas and a very cool oni shield that also works as a backpack, along with the extra augmented arms).

No worries, thanks for the head's up!

... I got the Turn Red at a fairly significant discount thanks to some store credit I had. Is $80-ish more reasonable?

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Hey I’ve been looking around for a place to order some tamiya spray paints but places online seem to generally be out of the colors I need

Anybody have any experience with those paints and also where can I buy them

I use Tamiya spray paints mainly for painting inner frames. As for where to buy all the hobby stores in my area carry the full line-up so I always go with one of them.

steam_sig.png
    online model supplies got in short supply, due to the pandemic I assume, I don't think they've recovered yet

BahamutZERO.gif
    Tamiya has been pretty easy to find in my area just sometimes 1 random color I need isn't getting restocked for like 2 or 3 weeks but 1 of the other stores in my area still has a can or 2.

steam_sig.png
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Finished my RG Unicorn Monday mostly, did some emergency hands today so I can hold the guns and you know what? Who needs LEDs?
    lWMa9iNh.jpg
    4eckhYJh.jpg
    LAWidVKh.jpg

Now that I've completed it I can definitely see the complaints about the kit. It's definitely hard to pose in destroy mode without having to constantly readjust a bunch of tiny panels and what not. Also I made the rookie mistake of not fully testing the motion of those premade frame pieces and the right shoulder is so tight and the chest in destroy mode is so unsupportive that trying to raise the arm I actually stressed the connection in the chest before the arm popped off and like one side of the chest. I still like the kit but maybe just not at that scale? I'm still waiting on USA Gundam Store to ship my order with my new snips and that haro zakrello kit I was gonna build as a cooldown between this and my next kit:

V7MW7Trl.jpg
    It's me, I need LEDs

Race you, lasbrook! :D

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    “Dueling Banshees” starts playing...

Adam Savage did a tutorial on cutting. And while I've rubbed against some of this in my gunpla work, I think this is the most articulated I've ever heard about taking it slow and not using force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smQFsyrTWhk

• NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    I know I don't normally do work-in-progress posts, but I just had to share this. I just finished putting together the RG Nu Gundam, and, man, for a Real Grade, this thing is pretty big.

MZA77r6.jpg
    Here he is standing next to my RG MK-II for scale

I still need to do the backpack, weapons, and fin funnels, so this thing is gonna be biggest non-master grade gunpla I've put together.

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
    The RG Nu Gundam and Sazabi are about as tall as the shorter MG Gundams.

steam_sig.png
    I heard it justified as them being based on psychoframes. I still want a Crossbone RG just so I can have that super tiny thing next to the others.

Are the hg and mg nu in that same scale relative to other 1/144 and 1/100?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    yes

mobile suits around UC 0093-105 are all swole

uc3ufTB.png
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Double-Zeta through to Hathaway's Flash are all big boys.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    There's some new P-Bandai kits up for pre-order, including the MG Mk V and a new version of the RE/100 Vigna Ghina

And! I'm kinda regretting not ordering the MG Hazel Owsla. I dunno how I spaced on it, but I've been wanting an MG Hazel for some time now, and keep missing it. Ah well, they've done a bunch of variants on it so far, I'm sure more are coming...

Oh brilliant
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    oh hey zaku reviewed one of my favorite kits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1orlCAgYM7k

also frick i hope this pbandai batch doesn't sell out overnight, i want the mk-V and mk-III and pale rider but won't have the funds til tomorrow

uc3ufTB.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wow, the MG Mk V is almost as much as the MG Nu HWS... I guess it's a larger kit than it looks in isolation?

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Wow, the MG Mk V is almost as much as the MG Nu HWS... I guess it's a larger kit than it looks in isolation?

It's roughly the size of the Doven Wolf/Silver bullet, which are like, a bit taller than the Unicorn.

I kinda want it but I don't $100 want it and I gotta be honest with myself about mostly only wanting it to pose beside my Ex-S.

X22wmuF.jpg
    edited January 2021

Slapping some of the expansion pack stuff on. The 'reactive armor' doesn't seem as big as it did on the NG 1/100, but it's still p.good!

A cool detail on the 1st Form wrist armor; it has the Barbatos power symbols on it. I always thought the 4th Form was the canonical "factory reset" version as it appeared in the Calamity War, but now I'm not sure, maybe that wrist is an indicator that it used to look very different...

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Slapping some of the expansion pack stuff on. The 'reactive armor' doesn't seem as big as it did on the NG 1/100, but it's still p.good!

A cool detail on the 1st Form wrist armor; it has the Barbatos power symbols on it. I always thought the 4th Form was the canonical "factory reset" version as it appeared in the Calamity War, but now I'm not sure, maybe that wrist is an indicator that it used to look very different...

I think 4th is supposed to be it’s till out form, but given the nature of the CW it’s feasible that Barbatos might have had modifications as the war progressed; maybe the wrist armor is something like that, since it seems designed to have that light shield on it, and that’s the load out from when the unit was lost?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.