As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] Here comes the Smolder

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    the one thing about playing tanks that you can always lean on is that your value isn't that dependent on gold. sure he can get a lot of farm because it's so easy for yasuo to push and cs, but you can basically concede most cs and still "win" lane as long as you get the xp and don't die. learning when it's ok to just concede for later is a good lesson.

once you get a sunfire you probably beat the pants off of him if the lane is 0/0/0 no matter how much cs he has, so it can be good to learn that passive behavior.

A quick Bramble Vest is also a good idea into an ad laner.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    damn, just played a ranked game (probably placement match?). we dont have the greatest start but we did get a couple dragons. then everyone was bitching at each other and probably violating all the code of conduct stuff. then we had some even trades and then aced the other team and then just revolving doored them into another ace and won. league is exactly like it was when i played years ago... everyone tilts so hard instead of just playing.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I physically cannot tell Darius, Jayce, and Garen apart

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    There’s an option to put the names of champs over their head in place of the persons name if you want. Can help a lot. Esp with all the skins what exist.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    This season so far I am winning on Kai'sa and Miss Fortune and losing on Jhin. ???? what is happeninggggg

Miss Fortune I've always avoided for years because I hate her visual design and voice lines and concept, but the problem is her playstyle is really, really good for me. I just run around and autoattack and press w constantly and hope it's on cooldown, and that's all I need to do! Plus I do the occasional AA harass and try to land Qs in laning phase. They cost like 45 mana so totally forgiving if you miss them. The permanent movespeed makes it a lot easier to dodge skillshots or to back off from an incoming gank in lane, too. My ults are not good and it does not even matter. I'm picking her when it looks like we have a front to back teamfight or when I don't know what the teams are. I'm using both Lethal tempo and Fleet footwork; presumably the former outputs more damage, and I'm building Kraken Slayer as the mythic. You just do so so much damage by running around AA'ing all fight.

I'm playing Kai'sa when it looks like the game is 'dive or get dived' and my team is not gonna peel for me or anything. I'm running lethal tempo (fuck you support maokai who kept hostile-ly pinging it) which is great in teamfights once you have hurricane and attack a billion times a second and put so much plasma on people. On Kai'sa I'm building Galeforce as the mythic in order to add on to the Kai'sa mobility. There have been fun teamfights where I dive so far that the way I run/kite away is out the other side of the fight, and galeforce helps with that.

On either of these champions, if it looks like I am at strong risk of getting burst, I definitely do consider immortal shieldbow, cause I'd rather have lower damage and live. But looking through my match history seems like I haven't actually bought it (I did buy it today on Xayah in Clash and it was the correct decision.)

I'm definitely not giving up on playing Jhin this season, but I need to reset my mentality about how to play him or something. And perhaps choose the situation more judiciously (e.g. only when lane is going to have high kill potential with a mage support).

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I actually played my first ranked of the season tonight as MF, and it went incredibly well. Even into a Ashe/Morg enemy lane. Our team's Alistar and Warwick did work, and were quite good at setting up engages which let me sit around and go PEW PEW PEW from the back into.

It might not be optimal, but I've been using Galeforce on her for the extra movement speed (vroom around the skill-shots) and quasi-Flash. The active is actually pretty handy for those greedy moments where you want to flash in and finish someone off, plus it does a decent amount of damage.

Lastly, I forgot how good her Gun Goddess skin was. "The eye is the window to the brainstem," indeed.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    credeiki wrote: »
    I'm using both Lethal tempo and Fleet footwork; presumably the former outputs more damage, and I'm building Kraken Slayer as the mythic. You just do so so much damage by running around AA'ing all fight.

Have you tried Press the Attack? It feels good to me on her with the auto -> W -> Q ramp up. It procs almost instantly, and you get the Strut MS to throw a few more autos on, and I would think synergizes well with Kraken Slayer though maybe the bonus damage doesn't get increased so I'm not entirely sure there. But I would think you'd want to run that on her, at least to try.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    kaisa generally wants hail because it makes her early game really scary, and domination tree is kinda stupid rn. and she's not really breaking the aspd cap much like kog/twitch/jinx. LT def feels like the weakest of the adc keystones if you don't have insane attackspeed because it's such a bursty meta.

LT is still fine though. only really bad on like, jhin haha.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    kaisa generally wants hail because it makes her early game really scary, and domination tree is kinda stupid rn. and she's not really breaking the aspd cap much like kog/twitch/jinx. LT def feels like the weakest of the adc keystones if you don't have insane attackspeed because it's such a bursty meta.

LT is still fine though. only really bad on like, jhin haha.

Bro don't ping my runes imma ragequit this thread I swear to god (I was so mad at my support tonight for this exact problem so I have some lingering saltiness :( )

haha but yes, so, while I understand that most people who play Kai'sa are looking for Hail of Blades for an early proc of her passive, I am not looking for that:
    -I do not have a support duo usually, so I am generally not aiming to fight in lane as Kai'sa (although obviously I do when the situation presents itself/if I sync well with my rando support).
    -I like the precision tree
    -I'm not so much interested in breaking the AS cap as I am in in increasing my AS substantially for a 3-6 seconds during teamfights (rather than for 3 autos).

Kai'sa feels so much better to play this season than last; I tried out so many builds last season and never quite felt settled. But now she just seems quite strong to me/feels good as long as you have some attack speed on your second item, preferably hurricane, but grievous wounds item is fine too (I tried Navori quickblades once and it did not feel good at all so I the AS is pretty key--to me, anyway).
    Ivellius wrote: »
    I'm using both Lethal tempo and Fleet footwork; presumably the former outputs more damage, and I'm building Kraken Slayer as the mythic. You just do so so much damage by running around AA'ing all fight.

Have you tried Press the Attack? It feels good to me on her with the auto -> W -> Q ramp up. It procs almost instantly, and you get the Strut MS to throw a few more autos on, and I would think synergizes well with Kraken Slayer though maybe the bonus damage doesn't get increased so I'm not entirely sure there. But I would think you'd want to run that on her, at least to try.

I haven't but I think it would be really good, yeah. Press the attack is always hard for me because you don't see the bonus damage and just have to trust that it's there. But I'll try that next.

• Options
    usually you'd go precision secondary so can still get most of the precision stuff you want, especially since the last rune tier is pretty bad anyway.

kai'sa is fucking terrifying to play against tho def, her and jhin haunt my nightmares. jinx can basically never duel her at all unless insanely ahead because of her ult shield and q burst that you can't miss.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    usually you'd go precision secondary so can still get most of the precision stuff you want, especially since the last rune tier is pretty bad anyway.

kai'sa is fucking terrifying to play against tho def, her and jhin haunt my nightmares. jinx can basically never duel her at all unless insanely ahead because of her ult shield and q burst that you can't miss.

...I have had some acclimation issues where my entire q burst hits minions in lane instead of the enemy I'm hoping it'll go to; it's super embarrassing. Fortunately during teamfights it's not an issue.

But yes I *love* the dueling power. I was mad at all Vaynes on earth cause I was beaten by one during clash, so then I picked Kai'sa the next day and hunted down and killed the enemy Vayne repeatedly, and of course Vayne is supposed to be a 1v1 champion but not if I land my W (lethal tempo proc, two stacks of plasma) and fly out of nowhere with a billion missiles and a shield.

Kai'sa feels like a good Jhin counter to me too, although he can win lane hard against her depending on support matchup. He will not win against her late though and has to be careful to play a particular role in teamfights that doesn't seek to directly counter Kai'sa but focuses on other things instead.

credeiki on
  • Options
    Ok I'm gold 4 now, I beat League, no need to play any more hahaha

I gotta say though I just tried hail of blades Kai'sa and it didn't feel as good as Lethal Tempo to me! Maybe cause it was into Tristana and she wins the burst challenge (early anyway, maybe not later once you have a million icathian missiles).

• Options
    i really wish riot would skip to the end of this stupid buff/nerf cycle for galeforce and remove the damage from it. losing 1/5th of my hp just to galeforce active at like level 8 is utterly absurd. this 90/60s cd dance doesn't do anything, make it shorter but also make it not instakill people.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Ranked placements are going swimmingly!
    Haha just kidding I'm having 0 impact with enchanter supports and am gonna be climbing from Iron this season.
    Well, I shouldn't say I'm having no impact. I AM, but not enough to overcome the fed 1v5 champs.
    I've been blowing off steam by spamming Sett in Normals. It's fun not losing lane and beating faces in. Bonus: he's good eye candy.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, I feel like pure enchanters are still in a rough spot. The usual band of engage supports (Thresh, Blitz if you’re a garbage human and dead inside, Leona, maybe Naut I havn’t checked) are still really good and do a ton of work. Which makes Morg do her usual counter pick thing to them... or if she gets going she can just carry a team and murder everything. Lulu also works in that role since I see Morg getting banned a lot. And I continue to maintain it’s impossible for Nami to be a bad pick, her kit continues to bring everything to the table.

Support Shaco should be considered a war crime and a bannable offense.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Shaco should be considered a war crime and a bannable offense.

Fixed it for you.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I’ve long believed there should be no champion called shaco, just a clown icon on the champ select screen that, when clicked, permabans your account

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Karma is strong as hell right now with moonstone and spell haste

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Yeah, I feel like pure enchanters are still in a rough spot. The usual band of engage supports (Thresh, Blitz if you’re a garbage human and dead inside, Leona, maybe Naut I havn’t checked) are still really good and do a ton of work. Which makes Morg do her usual counter pick thing to them... or if she gets going she can just carry a team and murder everything. Lulu also works in that role since I see Morg getting banned a lot. And I continue to maintain it’s impossible for Nami to be a bad pick, her kit continues to bring everything to the table.

Support Shaco should be considered a war crime and a bannable offense.

Eh I've played a few games as nami this season and while the healing is nice, Evey fucking champion released in the last 5 years have dashes, blinks, and whatever so the bubble is basically impossible to land if they are conscious. Then if bubble is on cooldown nami doesn't contribute much to a fight and the other team can just all in while in lane. Once nami gets ult there's at least another button, but still pretty limited.

• Options
    nami and lulu are good, and seraphine kinda straddles the line between enchanter and murder support like morg and she's insanely good right now.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    The Imperial Mandate E Max Maokai build is fantastic right now as well. You have immense brush control and nutty poke damage with your saplings, Twisted Advance and Bramble Smash for engage or peel, and Nature's Grasp for Teamfight disruption.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    The Imperial Mandate E Max Maokai build is fantastic right now as well. You have immense brush control and nutty poke damage with your saplings, Twisted Advance and Bramble Smash for engage or peel, and Nature's Grasp for Teamfight disruption.

That build is getting nerfed in tomorrow's patch.

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »

GOOD

It is making so many people play Maokai support who play neither Maokai nor support and I hate having them in my lane

• Options
    Yeah I saw that right after I posted! Go figure, huh?

I don't think the adjustments to Soraka's Q and W are going to do a ton, but every bit helps. I'll have to run her a few more times after the patch hits.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    alright maybe this game can be good sometimes
    https://clips.twitch.tv/BenevolentTolerantMangetoutHassaanChop

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Sprout wrote: »

GOOD

It is making so many people play Maokai support who play neither Maokai nor support and I hate having them in my lane

i hate him in lane both ways. it's so aggrivating having bushes be 25% hp deathtraps that you can't do anything about, and also annoying when your teammate is constantly fucking with the wave through his E he has little control over.

in other news, i had maybe the closest range malphite ult i've ever flashed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0_IwpDV330

with my vision he literally just appeared as he ulted. very scary. then we still almost lost the fight because windwall basically stunned me for 4 seconds, but twitch was nearby and saved the day.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    i really wish riot would skip to the end of this stupid buff/nerf cycle for galeforce and remove the damage from it. losing 1/5th of my hp just to galeforce active at like level 8 is utterly absurd. this 90/60s cd dance doesn't do anything, make it shorter but also make it not instakill people.

Remember death fire grasp Leblanc? Good times.

• Options
    Roz wrote: »

Remember death fire grasp Leblanc? Good times.

Galeforce is better for me because I can just press all my buttons and then go back to right-clicking instead of worrying about skill order or having to think about what clones exist or whatever

Good braindead gameplay :D

(Relatedly the only assassin I play is Diana, because you can only go in and you can only press all your buttons and no nuance is necessary or possible.)

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Viego has an absurd amount of champion overhead holy moly.

They never would have made this champ 7 years ago. It's kind of crazy how much their philosophy has shifted.

• Options
    (Relatedly the only assassin I play is Diana, because you can only go in and you can only press all your buttons and no nuance is necessary or possible.)

I actually just played my first two Diana games ever and utterly smashed a Veigar and a Talon. I was using the Phase Rush Protobelt build. Blitz and Catalyst are now recommending the Electrocute Night Harvester build, so I now have to try that. She's utterly bonkers.

• Options
    edited January 2021

I actually just played my first two Diana games ever and utterly smashed a Veigar and a Talon. I was using the Phase Rush Protobelt build. Blitz and Catalyst are now recommending the Electrocute Night Harvester build, so I now have to try that. She's utterly bonkers.

Ah yeah electrocute+night harvester is where it's at!
    I like going botlane, because they are underlevel compared to you, as soon as I'm 6, , especially if I feel like I don't have kill potential mid for whatever reason. That said, my experience with Diana is that before you have Zhonyas, you int a lot in teamfights (but you do get kills).

aha, this is the game I was looking for from earlier this season https://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/3696689414/203490857?tab=overview

I very seldom get to be that person in a game and it was pretty fun :D

credeiki on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Sometime when I am in the jungle, I see a red circle of light hovering over the terrain. It's the size of a champion and it's too fast to catch. What is this? Is some unseen giant playing with a laser pointer?

• Options
    boy i don't envy trying to balance viego.

he's got so many mechanics, and untargetable, unstoppable, takes other people's kits, good god it's just a whole fuckin' lot.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Sometime when I am in the jungle, I see a red circle of light hovering over the terrain. It's the size of a champion and it's too fast to catch. What is this? Is some unseen giant playing with a laser pointer?

It tells you where you will land if you click on the red fruit, which rockets you off away from it. I think that's what you mean, anyway?

• Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

The blast cone suggestion seems likely. Could be an enemy Kayn (Rhaast) inside a wall, maybe (the circle could shift and you wouldn't be in sight of him necessarily)?

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I've started playing Karma and everything finally clicked for me mechanics wise with her today.

Me and my ADC buddy I met ran the map like our own personal fiefdom and the taxes we were extracting from the peasants was their tears. Holy shit Karma is ridiculous. How has her R --> Q not been nerfed?

• Options
    i'm at 74% wr on jinx since the season rolled over.

i am going to be punched directly in the face.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Thread, I have slipped back down to the Whiny ADC MMR bracket. :-(

I queued as Nami with an Ashe. She was doing the whole stand still and constantly auto thing. Uh-oh! Fortunately, I was able to land a level 2 E->Q on Draven and feed her first blood. "Excellent!" I think. He gets back to lane and promptly gets murdered by another E->Q, but this time I accidentally took the kill. My Ashe immediately calls KS and report. Now, I'm thinking they're teasing, and just was like "Yeah I'm terrible like that" and shrugged it off, given how well the lane is going.

So the Draven apparently started raging at his support and forces his way mid. Their midlander rotates bot, immediately eats an E->Q->Ignite, and goes down to the Ignite. I ping my Ignite cooldown, which is like universal support language for "My bad fam", but no. Oh no. My Ashe loses. Their. SHIT and abandons lane. All chat degenerates into everyone wondering why both ADCs are flipping out so hard as they compete in a feeding contest until our Ashe goes AFK and we surrender just to get out of the game.

There was a definite bright spot though: after Draven bullied his way mid, a jungle gank forced our Seraphine under tower, but I got there in time to A)Save her with a W and B) Get my 3rd kill on Draven with an R, which in my opinion any rager deserves to get totally punked by the enchanter support like that!

• Options
    That shit is so stupid. I’m an adc main and ks stands for kill secured.

Like sure if it’s someone 100% dead to rights I appreciate you trying to pass me the kill, but even if you take it by accident I at very worst will just be amused that like a nami managed to last hit with an auto over a jinx.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Roz wrote: »
    Viego has an absurd amount of champion overhead holy moly.

They never would have made this champ 7 years ago. It's kind of crazy how much their philosophy has shifted.

I havn't had a chance to take him out against human opponents since I don't normally jungle... but he honestly reminds me a bit of Yi. Farm for a bit, get a Bork, hit VIEGO TIME and sword face. The possession mechanic is a neat bonus, but his base kit's good enough (and honestly pretty straightforward) that it'll just be a bonus. Probably could just think of it as a free heal and charge of his ult when you kill someone and do fine. It'll be interesting to see what high-level players do with him.

persona4celestia.jpg