As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I can do that with two big toes and two fingers + a thumb on each hand

I reckon one day I theoretically could do it with two fingers on each hand and two big toes, obvs not a middle toe. I wonder if anyone has ever done a mono press-up EDIT: apparently loads of people

Solar on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Can you gallop like it though?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    With an adaptive semi-ridgid cartilage system as opposed to a restrictive bony endoskeleton the only thing between you and quadrapedal digitigrade locomotion is willpower and about 48 hours of meditation and reconfiguration

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    BECOME

HORSE

EVERYTHING

FRIGHTENS

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    BECOME

HORSE

EVERYTHING

FRIGHTENS

But I already became of crab???

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options

Absolutely I can

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Every butthole is perfect and unique in the eyes of God.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    buttholes are like snowflakes

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Every butthole is perfect and unique in the eyes of God.

butt mine is the most perfect

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Long tailed macaques of Bali have learned not only how to steal items from tourists for food, they have also learned how to assess which items are most likely to result in a higher value payout:
    Long-tailed macaques of Bali have learned to steal high-value goods from tourists

The animals learn which items humans regard as high-value, and which will produce superior ransoms.

Stealing a low-value item, like an empty phone case? That won't get much food. Steal someone's glasses, or a wallet? Now that is gonna get a human to cough up a high-end ransom.

Https://boingboing.net/2021/01/20/long-tailed-macaques-of-bali-have-learned-to-steal-high-value-goods-from-tourists.html/amp

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Absolutely I can

Prove it.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Trying to be thorough in collating data for a report has lead to two days of me sending e-mails to authors of published papers on the thing I'm studying, asking them as nicely as possible

"hey can you just tell me what the hell you actually found because this thing reads like the map to a fucking Easter-egg hunt"

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Long tailed macaques of Bali have learned not only how to steal items from tourists for food, they have also learned how to assess which items are most likely to result in a higher value payout:
    Long-tailed macaques of Bali have learned to steal high-value goods from tourists

The animals learn which items humans regard as high-value, and which will produce superior ransoms.

Stealing a low-value item, like an empty phone case? That won't get much food. Steal someone's glasses, or a wallet? Now that is gonna get a human to cough up a high-end ransom.

Https://boingboing.net/2021/01/20/long-tailed-macaques-of-bali-have-learned-to-steal-high-value-goods-from-tourists.html/amp

I wonder if these are the macaques from Ubud. Sure sounds like them, those cheeky little monkeys...
    One time, my friend ha da bunch of bananas and while he was distracted trying to feed one banana to a monkey, they monkey’s three mates ran up behind him, pinched the whole bunch, and scarpered up the closest tree with their booty

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    sarukun wrote: »

Absolutely I can

Prove it.

I am afraid that I do not reveal my sexual techniques to all and sundry

Solar on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The Marine Iguana | A Perfect Planet | BBC Earth 2:44
    https://youtu.be/UDAutlF_aRY
    This sea-diving lizard only has 30 minutes to search for food before his muscles seize up.

Peas on
  • Options
    Relatable.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Watch a snake lasso itself up a pole | Science News 0:33
    https://youtu.be/QxAGpDlrlLs
    Footage of a brown tree snake, caught with an infrared camera at night, reveals the unique way that this species climbs: The snake lassos itself around a pole and wriggles the loop of its tail to propel itself upward. The technique allows the reptile to shimmy up structures that would otherwise be too wide to climb.

Also just saw this in Quarantinewhile

Peas on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    sarukun wrote: »

Absolutely I can

Prove it.

I am afraid that I do not reveal my sexual techniques to all and sundry

Don’t pretend like the very notion doesn’t excite you!
    Peas wrote: »
    Footage of a brown tree snake, caught with an infrared camera at night, reveals the unique way that this species climbs: The snake lassos itself around a pole and wriggles the loop of its tail to propel itself upward. The technique allows the reptile to shimmy up structures that would otherwise be too wide to climb.

That snake is a Goddamned wizard.

sarukun on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Peas wrote: »

There's more science here, and (as a bonus) it involves birds!*

This is a Brown Snake on Guam, where it is an invasive species that has been wiping out native birdlife. There are now only 2 native forest birds left on the island (the Brown snakes are not solely responsible for this, but they are significant predators, able to reach almost any location to raid nests).

In an effort to save the remaining birds, environmental researchers started placing nests and bait atop wide smooth poles they thought would be 'unclimbable' for the snakes and observing the results.
    Naturally, they were surprised when the agile Brown Snake adopted an never-before seen climbing method to scale these difficult - but clearly not impossible - to climb ascents to reach the tasty treats above.
    “We were in total shock,” says study coauthor Thomas Seibert, also an ecologist at Colorado State. “This isn’t something that a snake is supposed to do.”

Not good news for the researchers or birds, but fortunately this discovery allowed for the introduction of updated climbing baffles below birdhouses that are too wide for this 'lasso' method to work -
    “the birds adopted these birdhouses and have done very, very well,”

Hooray Science!

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/brown-tree-snakes-tail-lasso-climb

*: Everyone knows these boards are cuckoo for birds
    Sorry not sorry

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj JJ jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjijjjjjjijjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjijjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjijjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjijijjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjijjjijjjjjjjjjijjjjjjjjjjjiijjjijjjjjjijjjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiioiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiioiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiioiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiijiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiijiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiijiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiijiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiioiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• Options
    Hi, Brolo's cat! Who's a good kitty?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Hi, Brolo's cat! Who's a good kitty?

okbnW9Hl.jpg
    ...yeah i left my wireless keyboard on the shelf, and...

• Options
    edited January 2021
    oh my god it actually was ahahahaha

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    My hypothesis was correct, those are both very good cats!

Thanks, science thread. You teach us so much about the world.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Also, Right Cat has some real Little Nephew energy.

omcvhaqmpaxt.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    That cat is totally little nephew

Brolo you find any cat sized individual jeans legs with their own belt for each leg lyin’ around?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    https://nypost.com/2021/01/20/chinese-scientists-develop-gene-therapy-which-could-delay-aging/
    BEIJING – Scientists in Beijing have developed a new gene therapy which can reverse some of the effects of aging in mice and extend their lifespans, findings which may one day contribute to similar treatment for humans. “These mice show after 6-8 months overall improved appearance and grip strength and most importantly they have extended lifespan for about 25 percent,” Qu said. “We just tested the function of the gene in different kinds of cell types, in the human stem cell, the mesenchymal progenitor cells, in the human liver cell and the mouse liver cell and for all of these cells we didn’t see any detectable cellular toxicity. And for the mice, we also didn’t see any side effect yet.”

Despite this, the method is a long way from being ready for human trials, Qu said.

While I don't like the prospects of dying and would like to live as long as possible, I could see how horrible this could be in the hands of the rich and powerful

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    What if Mitch McConnell could live forever you know five hundred years of Cocaine Mitch

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    the US still has government positions with lifetime appointments, right

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »

SCOTUS and federal judge positions

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

actually is there a way of removing a scotus judge if they become mentally unfit

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

content: a photo of a crow riding on a bald eagle

the twitter account is one that posts interesting nature photos

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

actually is there a way of removing a scotus judge if they become mentally unfit

they can be impeached, and technically the requirement is 'good behavior'

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

content: a photo of a crow riding on a bald eagle

the twitter account is one that posts interesting nature photos

Can’t tell if this is space shuttle on a jumbo or fighter jet on a helicarrier level awesome. Depends if the crow is dive bombing sparrows and bringing them back to share with the eagle, I guess…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Crows will gang up and harass birds of prey to drive them away from their nests, that might be what that one is doing.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    The crow is Game Stop, the company
    The eagle is Game Stop stock hooligans

• Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    Crows will gang up and harass birds of prey to drive them away from their nests, that might be what that one is doing.

The eagle seems pretty okay with how things are going here. It's probably the driving away thing, but I want it to be them just hanging out and being the weird birds that they are.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I wish I was better friends with the crows that live in my development

This discussion has been closed.