As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel's The Avengers] Officially sunset as of 2023, goodbye true believers

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I got the game for Christmas and couldn't finish it. It just wasn't fun at all. I could ignore a lot of things if I enjoyed the game play but it was average at best. MUA3 was the better game.

Ah well. At least I gave it a shot.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The campaign was the best part by far, but even the campaign wasn't perfect. Some characters got an adequate amount of playtime. Namely Kamala and Iron Man. But other characters only had like 2 missions a piece and felt like they were pretty irrelevant. Like Thor. He did not really contribute meaningfully to the story in any way.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I played a bit with Kate Bishop when she was released, but I ended up dropping it after an hour or so. She's a fun character to play, but I just had no drive to play through the same maps and enemies again.

They should, at the very least, be creating entirely new maps for these character releases. They also desperately need new supervillains.

• Options
    I guess... is this game dead now? They seem to have completely stopped giving status updates on new content. Clint Barton was supposed to be delivered 2 months ago, and we still don't have a revised date for him.

Where the hell is Spider-Man? I know that's a sore spot for non-PS4 owners, but as a PS4 owner I feel like I'm missing a promised deliverable here.

Maybe they have realized that this game is beyond redemption? Even if they manage to get Clint and Spidey into the game, two new characters won't fix the underlying issues such as:
    -Boring missions
    -Repetitive objectives
    -Bad level design
    -Uninteresting enemies
    -Lack of supervillain bosses
    -Camera angle issues
    -Getting annihilated and juggled by offscreen bullshit
    -No reason to play the game

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I imagine they're working on the next gen versions? Who knows

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It does exist!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah at this point even I'm a little wary about the future of the game. I think it has its bright spots and I'll go and play with Clint when he comes out, but I'm not really convinced that there'll be enough players still around to care about a Gear/Endgame 2.0 or whatever. There was some time where it might have been fine and made a recovery but that's probably wishful thinking now. It's a shame too because I still think running around as the Avengers and beating up enemies is actually a lot of fun, but the endgame loop is super repetitive and there's not even timeframes for changes there. They've even stopped mentioning the first raid, which is concerning considering that'd at least add more to do. Maybe they think they're fairly close on some other more broad changes and want to announce it all at the same time? but then again they've pushed literally every other "close" thing back several months so I don't know if that means much, even if it's true.

Ah well, I'll keep coming back in for new story bits, but aside from obligations I don't think we'll see any more than this "Season 1" they say we're in.

• Options
    I am curious how many of the datamined characters are actually gonna make it in. They're on the hook for a Spidey atleast.

• Options
    I am curious how many of the datamined characters are actually gonna make it in. They're on the hook for a Spidey atleast.

Yeah Spidey will almost certainly come due to obligations. Latest datamines show Black Panther is actually fairly close to being a complete character, apparently including voicework etc, so he'll probably make it in. I think there's a couple others where progress has been made but they aren't as close so I think their odds are significantly lower.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    So the PS5 version says 3.18.2021 which is a whole lot sooner than I would have expected for them to be dropping the next-gen version of the game. I would have assumed next-gen would arrive sometime after their valiant attempt to save the game.

As someone who already played and got burned out (pretty quickly) on the core campaign + pathetic endgame, that first trailer offers me very little hope. All the brief in-game cuts of gameplay still just show you fighting boring A.I.M. robots. There wasn't anything shown to get me excited about a next-gen release. That trailer desperately needed a big hook. Like "more enemy variety, more missions, more everything." Something to make me care. Right now, it looks like exactly the same game I've already played, but PS5. Which sounds like "naaaaaah" to me.

And I like Hawkeye. I like Clint Barton. But Clint isn't enough of a draw to bring me back either. Especially if his content pack is basically the same as Kate Bishop's was. I never played the Kate Bishop story content, but I heard it was very short.

Anyway, I am not very optimistic for this game. Not at all. They basically need to gut it, reboot it, and deliver a completely different game for me to care. I honestly still cannot fathom how they took one of the biggest IPs worldwide and turned it into such a boring game. Blows my mind.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Anyway, I am not very optimistic for this game. Not at all. They basically need to gut it, reboot it, and deliver a completely different game for me to care. I honestly still cannot fathom how they took one of the biggest IPs worldwide and turned it into such a boring game. Blows my mind.

Probably some combination of deadlines, strict IP requirements, and chasing that GaaS dragon.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I said it up thread, but it's a game with very little soul or energy to it. It feels like they were afraid to mess up the IP, played it safe and ended up with a bunch of amorphous blobs as the main characters. I don't know how you fuck up such an easy game to make this badly.

• Options
    I said it up thread, but it's a game with very little soul or energy to it. It feels like they were afraid to mess up the IP, played it safe and ended up with a bunch of amorphous blobs as the main characters. I don't know how you fuck up such an easy game to make this badly.

Having played it, its because it clearly feels like a single player game they added multi and GAAS stuff to. Like the single player story with some beefing in other sections would have been a pretty decent single player experience, but I don't think it would have been worth the 60 bucks at release they wanted.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

And I still completely disagree with this statement. The characters are fine, good even. They clearly put work into the world. The campaign was very well received! Their use of the IP isn't what sucks. It's the itemization and endgame grind where things fall flat, which is unfortunately all there is after ~10 hours. And now almost 6 months post launch there hasn't been anything else substantial added to that experience (Kate is fun to play as, but new characters aren't really "endgame" content per se) in a GaaS? And timelines all over the place with announced content like raids going from "coming within the first month" to now not even being acknowledged? That's what doesn't fly.

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »

And I still completely disagree with this statement. The characters are fine, good even. They clearly put work into the world. The campaign was very well received! Their use of the IP isn't what sucks. It's the itemization and endgame grind where things fall flat, which is unfortunately all there is after ~10 hours. And now almost 6 months post launch there hasn't been anything else substantial added to that experience (Kate is fun to play as, but new characters aren't really "endgame" content per se) in a GaaS? And timelines all over the place with announced content like raids going from "coming within the first month" to now not even being acknowledged? That's what doesn't fly.

And the big one for me is that there is almost zero reason to play multiplayer for a title inexplicably that is supposed to do that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I think it's both for me personally, the game still just looks so damn generic and the enemies just look so boring, nothing engaging from the start. I'm really curious how their Spider-Man is gonna look, probably terrible.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Kyanilis wrote: »

And the big one for me is that there is almost zero reason to play multiplayer for a title inexplicably that is supposed to do that.

Yeah, it doesn't help that the multiplayer only content they had planned (raids, etc) went from "shortly after launch" to "after Kate launches" to...well who knows because it wasn't even mentioned today.

For their own sake I really hope they uhh, let slip anything about non-Hawkeye content during their dev stream this week. They've been pretty tight lipped during these, so I doubt it, but I think people are even more frustrated about the silence now that so much stuff was plainly just ignored in the one spot they do big announcements.

• Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I actually played through the Katie story stuff and it really was more of the same, passable CAG stuff, solid writing / voice acting and absolutely 0 interesting content outside of the story stuff.

I've pretty much written the game off, but will be pleasently suprised if they somehow come back swinging, but eh, not holding my breath.

Which I don't think is a paticularly unique position, looking at everyone elses posts haha.
    I'd been thinking of doing a longer form post about what I feel could be done to salvage things but ehhhh quarantimes sucked my energy and who really cares what some random mook on a forum thinks? Maybe some other time.
    I do miss playing Ms Marvel though. Punting bad guys while embiggened was great fun.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    Given everything happening with Anthem, I'm really curious how this game's next year pans out.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Given everything happening with Anthem, I'm really curious how this game's next year pans out.

Probably much the same

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    tbh I think almost anyone here who spent time with the endgame could probably come up with a list of items that would more or less salvage things and they probably wouldn't be that far off from each other. (Better, more interesting gear, revamp the "endgame" since right now it's quantity over quality, add some interesting bosses, etc). All of these things take time, which is fine imo, but only if you're communicative about it. Hint some stuff, show off what you DO have, it doesn't need to be done this month, but silence just means people are going to think the worst.

I don't think it's impossible to come back, even still, but I really do think step 1 is going to have to be being a lot more transparent. And I mean I also get that that's hard, there's plenty of people on the internet who just want to rage and see a thing fail so the more you engage with your audience the more open you are to receiving that, but they're bleeding people who DO care about the game because they just...refuse to talk about their plans aside from very very vague hints during livestreams that are like "yeah we're working on that...but we can't talk about it" week after week. Maybe talk about it soon? If it's not too late already it will be soon, y'all don't have the luxury of sitting on plans anymore.

I have the game so there's no harm in me revisiting it every so often when they release content, but my excitement levels around new content is already at "yeah, I'll get to it when I get to it I guess". And this is heckin' Marvel, I watch all of the movies opening night, it doesn't take me much at all to want to get into this stuff. So like...give me something.

Though, newer leaks show that Spider-Man might actually be fairly close to release. Closer than anyone thought even. There's a small amount of speculation that they might try to drum up some hype in tomorrow's State of Play, but also the concern that Sony has stopped caring so might not. 50/50 imo, heh, but that'd be the place to do it.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Square turned around the FF MMO, but they were waaaaay more invested in that. A AAA Avengers game should be printing money, but somehow they dug deep, really found it inside themselves pulled up those boot straps and managed to fuck it up. I wanted this to be good, I wanted another Marvel Ultimate Alliance style beat 'em up that wasn't platform limited. I admit to being confused that for DLC they did two archers in a row.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Square Enix is famously supportive of their western developers so I'm sure it'll be fine

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The thing they need to save the game is for the raid they release to be really good. It needs to be a unique look and layout and the boss fights have to be something other than just encircle and pummel boss.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    In case anyone is still playing this, the developers have decided that the way to fix the game is to....make it even worse?
    Marvel’s Avengers, the action role-playing game from Square Enix, is finally coming to current-gen consoles on March 18, but it’s also getting another change. After that date, it’s going to take even longer to reach the game’s max character level, because the developer is increasing the XP requirement.
    https://www.polygon.com/2021/3/4/22313547/marvel-avengers-game-xp-grind-slower-levels-hawkeye-next-gen-ps5-xbox-series-x

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Damn they really are repeating all the mistakes other games have already made

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    "We're adding more leveling content this way!"

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I have the feeling some suit noticed that people stop playing once they've reached max level and had some suggestions for how to fix that problem.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I have the feeling some suit noticed that people stop playing once they've reached max level and had some suggestions for how to fix that problem.

I am sure this will annoy the 3 players still working their way through this game....

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I think I'm giving up on this game. Every time I pull it out to play it, I just can't bring myself to do so. I haven't even finished the main campaign. Making this game a live service platform just killed my desire to play it, and for some reason I thought buying it for the campaign would be fine...but other than the opening sequence, the campaign is just boring Aim robots and playing through the maps from the multiplayer.

So sad, because this game could have been great.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options

I can't think of any game that actually increased exp requirements.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

I do recall Fallout76 got a ton of heat a few months after release for doing this in a roundabout way. They kept the levels the same, but quests and other tasks granted less xp and crafting things like ammo or armor got severely nerfed in terms of mats-->product ratios.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Marvel Heros tweaked the XP curve a couple of times and took plenty of shit for it, but its the only one I can think of post Ultima Online/original EQ days.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

I do recall Fallout76 got a ton of heat a few months after release for doing this in a roundabout way. They kept the levels the same, but quests and other tasks granted less xp and crafting things like ammo or armor got severely nerfed in terms of mats-->product ratios.

yikes town. I mean if anything I'd kind of wish leveling would go away a lot of the time. I mean I love filling bars as much as anyone else "YES BAR FILLED!" but in an rpg where like your actual play style will radically change based on what skills you have, being forced to use ones that suck or aren't what you're after never feels fun.

I'd almost say desinty's light level gearing is a better place.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Personally, I think the reaction to this is sliiightly overblown. I think they're fixing the original problem the wrong way, but the logic behind it isn't totally wrong.

Essentially the grind is two things: character level and gear level. The character level is somewhat irrelevant because you will 100% of the time hit max level long before you hit the max gear. This will continue to hold true, they're basically just spacing out late game skill points a little. If you have any intention to "max out" your character this will change very little. Right now you'd hit max level and still have a lot of gear grind left, after this change you'll still almost certainly have gear grind left, the gap will just end up lower. They're also increasing the leveling rate for lower levels, which was a real problem since until you have several points the early game is kind of a slog, so that's relatively a "good" change.

Buuuut while I think the xp changes are overall a neutral change when it comes down to it, I do think the gear level grind is the REAL problem and rather than increasing character level times they should lower gear level time. And yes, them focusing on the wrong problem is par for the course so far anyway.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Problem: Gear leveling takes much longer than character leveling.
    Solution: Increase the time need to level a character.

Classic.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Problem: Gear leveling takes much longer than character leveling.
    Solution: Increase the time need to level a character.

Classic.

Yeah, this sure is a decision. Tackling the real issues, not the incredible lack of interesting content post campaign.

Ugh, I think that's me out, at least after giving the Hawkeye stuff a fair shot.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The thing that gets me is that for their DLC characters, you know one of the big things that is supposed to keep people excited about playing the game, they are releasing not one, but TWO Hawkeyes.

I get for people that are really into the comics there are probably some substantial differences, but as somebody who's primary interaction with the Marvel are the movies, some games like Marvel Heroes, and old cartoons I saw as a kid, this is just beyond boring. Two new characters and they are both bow & arrow people with the same hero name. Really? Like really?

I get Chadwick's death threw their development plans for a loop, but is there no other hero they could have released instead of the same one twice? Hell they announced Spider-Man for playstation ages ago and still no word on when that is ever going to happen.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Oh man I stopped playing halfway through the campaign to wait for a Series X upgrade. If I was going to grind my way to powerful characters I might as well do it on the better looking version. I guess I'm spending the weekend grinding. What's the best way to do that? The sim rooms?

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018