As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    I never understood those things, pistol grips with match weight looking things at the bottom. What’s the perk of them?

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I never understood those things, pistol grips with match weight looking things at the bottom. What’s the perk of them?

It's mainly for resting your trigger hand against a solid surface to further minimize twitching/movement when aiming. At least in theory. For me it was an added degree of comfort when shooting especially when I'm trying to hold my reticle over a target fairly far away. I find it generally helps with that at least.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Can't possess guns or ammo, yeah. If that's the case I'd say figure out how to secure them where they are, a locked case in a locked closet if possible.

Thanks for the info. Quick update in case anyone cares.

Turns out friend ordered a case from Harbor Fright based on your recommendation sand was going to secure on-site but his brother had already taken them back to his house weeks ago. So hmmm..

MichaelLC on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    At this point, "not friend's circus, not friend's monkeys."

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I think the most important thing regarding stuff like that is disregard the crown, stay quiet.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    I just saw some 50bmg for $2.60 per round.

Currently 6.5 Creedmoor is going for about the same price. I'm really glad I went .308 for that build a while back.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hot damn scored 100 rounds of 223 online. Only 80 cents per round after shipping. :(

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm seeing steelcase .45 going for nearly a dollar a round now. This is fucking ludicrious.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Hot damn scored 100 rounds of 223 online. Only 80 cents per round after shipping. :(

Niiiice. Are they already sold out? I was hoping to pick up 100 rounds for a trip to the shooting range once I've gotten my vaccine.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Niiiice. Are they already sold out? I was hoping to pick up 100 rounds for a trip to the shooting range once I've gotten my vaccine.

Oh yea. They sell out within 5 minutes or so of going in stock. I should have bought more, but money is tight!

Natchez has been pretty good about ammo restocks on the reg. Got some 5.56 greentip for 70 cpr and some brass 9mm fmj for 36 cpr this week. Reddit is awful but the instock subforum there is quick on posting info

Natchez has been pretty good about ammo restocks on the reg. Got some 5.56 greentip for 70 cpr and some brass 9mm fmj for 36 cpr this week. Reddit is awful but the instock subforum there is quick on posting info

Yea Natchez is still holding the line. You just have to be REALLY on the ball.

Yea Natchez is still holding the line. You just have to be REALLY on the ball.

Their site gets absolutely awful when there's a rush. I tried to pick up some 9mm from them a while back and it was just impossible.

edited January 2021
    I'm shopping for a variable magnification scope for my .308 AR-10.
    I don't care THAT much about SFP vs FFP.

I'm basically looking for the best of entry (not airsoft nonsense) level optics that does >20x magnification.

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50, $399
    versus
    Bushnell Nitro 6-24x50, $275

I've been burned by cheaping out before, but it seems like that actually is just a SUPER low price for the Bushnell, so I'm not sure.

Thoughts? Also, if you want to, try to talk me into a lower-magnification sight. I also wouldn't rule out stepping up on price a fair amount provided the ROI is actually there.

Doc on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't dare talk you out of 20x or higher, because that's what .308 deserves

I think Bushnell is just cheaper because it's been sold like four times in the last decade

are YOU on the beer list?
    The vortex warranty is top notch.

I think I just got a lead on one that's significantly discounted at B&H, but I need to call (!!!!!) to get the deal. They aren't open Friday afternoons or Saturday, so it'll be Sunday before I find out.

Doc wrote: »

I think I just got a lead on one that's significantly discounted at B&H, but I need to call (!!!!!) to get the deal. They aren't open Friday afternoons or Saturday, so it'll be Sunday before I find out.

Have you checked refurbs at aaoptics?

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    To pick up on my posts from almost a year ago, I now own a gun!

I the proud owner of a Glock 19 Gen 5.

I have a three year old and a one month old in the house so it is bolted to a wall gun safe in our basement utility room where the wall meets.the ceiling.

Before I purchased the gun I did two 90 minute training sessions at my local range. I only have my permit to purchase (Minnesota), but plan to get my conceal for no other reason than the rules about transporting the gun.

1. What should I do to a new pistol? Cleaning? Maintenance? Would love some suggestions on gun maintenance kits.
    2. What is the difference between range and other ammunition? What key words designates something as range ammunition?
    3. What additions to a Glock 19 would you recommend? This gun will be for range training and home defense (but will not be placed anywhere than the above safe until I feel confident).

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I have a three year old and a one month old in the house so it is bolted to a wall gun safe in our basement utility room where the wall meets.the ceiling.

Before I purchased the gun I did two 90 minute training sessions at my local range. I only have my permit to purchase (Minnesota), but plan to get my conceal for no other reason than the rules about transporting the gun.

1. What should I do to a new pistol? Cleaning? Maintenance? Would love some suggestions on gun maintenance kits.
    2. What is the difference between range and other ammunition? What key words designates something as range ammunition?
    3. What additions to a Glock 19 would you recommend? This gun will be for range training and home defense (but will not be placed anywhere than the above safe until I feel confident).

1) Cleaning it is good obviously. Given the demand for guns it probably hasn't sat in storage that long accumulating dust but it's good practice. All sorts of cleaning kits are out there but I've been fond of this: http://www.patchworm.com/patchworm.html
    Not as robust as some others (and I started with a Kleen-bore pistol cleaning kit which I also recommend) but the patchworm is super portable and was just easier to for me. That said, it's main advantage was for rifles where a lightweight, flexible tool was much more convenient than a rigid and heavier cleaning rod. No matter what you'll need to pick up a bag of cleaning patches (I used generic square patches with the patchworm over the round ones they sell) and a cleaning chemical. I'm a big fan of Breakfree CLP as a cleaner though if I was lubricating something that didn't need cleaning I might use something else. In any case, you don't need to overthink this too much. Anything that wipes the surface of the barrel with a patch you've applied a cleaning product to will do the job. Other parts can be cleaned with said product and whatever combo of q-tips, paper towels, cotton balls, etc. you want.

1) Price mostly. Ammo specifically designed for use on non-stationary targets or the fancier stationary targets used in competitions have features that make them more reliable stoppers for defense, accurate for competition, or both for hunting. The former usually comes from hollowing out some of the metal jacket around the bullet and some of the tip/point in the front so it expands more readily on impact so you'll see something like Hollow Point or Jacketed Hollow Point in the description. All this makes the ammo more expensive so not what you'll regularly practice with. You still want to try out something you pick up for defense in the gun of course to make sure there are no unpleasant surprises but Glocks are not picky about ammo.

3) Extra magazines, hearing protection earmuffs, earplugs to wear under those muffs, safety glasses, and a decent bag to carry it to the range with. Obviously a holster when you need to worry about carrying it but I'll let others talk about that (I don't live in a state one can easily get a permit for doing so). Not a lot you absolutely need really, especially early on when you're learning the basics.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited January 2021
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

1. I'd give it a good cleaning, you can find a basic pistol cleaning kit at any sporting good store and you just need a specific brass brush for your caliber that will go on the end of the cleaning rod. There will be a bunch of videos online on how to do basic disassembly and cleaning of your gun. I would practice taking it apart for cleaning a few times just to set it in your memory. Give it a good cleaning and oiling and it should be good to go. Once its clean put it in the safe, and I would recommend getting a desiccant to also go in the safe to draw moisture. Damp and guns do not go together!
    Note: You don't HAVE to clean the gun every time. The manual will probably give you a recommended cleaning cycle per X number of rounds fired. If you use decent copper jacketed brass casing ammo then you can get away with every 200-300 rounds without hurting anything.
    2. Range ammo is your basic round tipped bullets that are probably copper/brass jacketed. They are nominally cheaper. Self defense ammo is usually hollow point (Look up Hydroshock ammo) and costs significantly more. You practice on range ammo until you can shoot well with the pistol, then get like 60 rounds of self defense ammo. Shoot a couple magazines of it to get a feel to see if it shoots different than your training ammo. Then fill up a couple magazines with the remainder and stuff those in the safe for if they are ever needed.
    3. Does it have a bottom rail? I know nothing about Glocks. A small LED light is nice for a self defense gun. If you do get a light, then I'd recommend a custom belt formed holster to carry it with. A Light will run about $100, holster about the same.

Oh yea, you'll want like 4-6 magazines. Saves on reloading time at the range and you can dedicate a couple to self defense once you've shot through them a couple times and know they are reliable. You can store ammo in the magazines indefinitely, it will not hurt them.

I'm a fan of this channel for pistol training.

https://youtu.be/F8MvKIiXC2M

https://youtu.be/5CjRJbsTzcY

webguy20 on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    2. Range ammo is your basic round tipped bullets that are probably copper/brass jacketed. They are nominally cheaper. Self defense ammo is usually hollow point (Look up Hydroshock ammo) and costs significantly more. You practice on range ammo until you can shoot well with the pistol, then get like 60 rounds of self defense ammo. Shoot a couple magazines of it to get a feel to see if it shoots different than your training ammo. Then fill up a couple magazines with the remainder and stuff those in the safe for if they are ever needed.

That's an odd way of saying HST.

(For the sake of MegaMan001, they're both product lines made by same company, Federal Premium. HST is the newer line of defensive ammo and tends to impress more in testing though Hydra-shok is still made/sold.)

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    A small LED light is nice for a self defense gun.

You have to be kinda careful here. If the plan is to carry the gun on your person for defense than (depending on where you live, obviously this can be different based on the state) a light on your gun may be an accessory that (at least legally) defeats its own purpose - essentially, you would have it on your weapon in order to identify a target, but in many areas you are required to have a target and identify them as a threat before you even draw your weapon. If you're ever involved in a self defense shooting and the police take down a statement like "As soon as I had my light on him I saw he had a gun and I fired" it can really come back to haunt you later.

If you're only planning on getting a CCL to make it easier to transport your guns to and from the range than no sweat, and a good light would be a solid addition for home defense, but it's still something to keep in mind. Knowing your local and state's laws regarding gun ownership are very important.

You should also know what to do and what to say in the immediate aftermath if you ever find yourself a part of a citizen involved shooting, but that's a different story.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    And you want to be able to point your light at something without pointing your gun at it. This is good thing just to avoid waving your gun around as you light an area.

IIRC the usual advice is a hand held torch in your off hand. Much more versatile. No holster issues (it can be tricky getting a holster that fits a gun with a torch, though it's much easier than it was). And most importantly you don't need to point your gun in a direction to light it.

Edit- I'm mostly thinking in your home.

Gvzbgul on
    A small LED light is nice for a self defense gun.

You have to be kinda careful here. If the plan is to carry the gun on your person for defense than (depending on where you live, obviously this can be different based on the state) a light on your gun may be an accessory that (at least legally) defeats its own purpose - essentially, you would have it on your weapon in order to identify a target, but in many areas you are required to have a target and identify them as a threat before you even draw your weapon. If you're ever involved in a self defense shooting and the police take down a statement like "As soon as I had my light on him I saw he had a gun and I fired" it can really come back to haunt you later.

If you're only planning on getting a CCL to make it easier to transport your guns to and from the range than no sweat, and a good light would be a solid addition for home defense, but it's still something to keep in mind. Knowing your local and state's laws regarding gun ownership are very important.

You should also know what to do and what to say in the immediate aftermath if you ever find yourself a part of a citizen involved shooting, but that's a different story.

Yea thats probably lesson #1. Know your states laws inside and out.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I've seen a few mentions of gun safes and looking for recommendations for a new one.

Some of these 10 gun safes look like they would hold 2 of mine.
    Currently have 4 long guns (1 is just shy of 48" with a decently sized optic), and 4 hand guns (1 is a Mare's Leg)

Any recommendations or is there a generally consensus on a conversion rate for converting what the safe says it can hold versus reality?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      @MegaMan001

Cleaning: good news, your Glock came with a brush. So you need some patches, and in my opinion a bore snake makes life easier. CLP is my preferred cleaner. The manual is the best place to look at cleaning instructions, but I have literally taken my Gen 5 19 two thousand rounds without cleaning and never a hiccup. I cleaned it after that, shot it a lot more since then, cleaned it and it’s probably at close to a thousand again and being used in monthly competitions. I am not recommending that, but it’s a capable pistol. It’s probably due for a wipedown.

Extra accessories: some people said magazines. That’s a brilliant idea since Glock mags are so cheap, they can be found for about $20 each OEM. You can balance that out with some Magpul mags for about $12 each, which is great for training.

Many people change the sights on Glock from the stock plastic U sights to steel three dot night sights or equivalent, I have yet to get around to this. I guess I’m not high speed enough.

Lights. As mentioned, good to have an offhand light as well as a weapon mounted light. Get a streamlight if you choose to do so. They’re capable lights, they have a ton of holster compatibility, they don’t blow up like Olights, and they don’t carry a Surefire price tag. I have four different streamlights between handhelds and WML.

I think beyond the standard safety equipment of good eyewear and hearing protection, a first aid kit designed around penetrating trauma is important! Tourniquet, chest seals, gauze, pressure bandage. I carry IFAKs like these in my range bags, tool chest, and vehicle because I work in remote locations with power tools more than I shoot, but also in the last two years on a stretch of highway I drive daily there have been several accidents where the victims lives have been saved by the presence of a quickly applied TQ.

Regarding any interaction with police should you ever use your firearm: “I will fully cooperate with your investigation once my lawyer is present” and “I shot to stop the threat” should be the phrase of the day, because regardless of how well intentioned you are at defending your family, yourself, or your property, you should not trust an officer to take an accurate statement nor should you trust a DA to not want to make an example out of you. I pray you never have to use your firearm in that situation!

So in conclusion, your Glock is perfect as is, shoot as much as you can afford to, dry fire when you can’t, practice safe gun handling, if you can make holes, be able to plug holes. Get some spare magazines while they’re still available since we are looking at a minimum of 2 years of panic buying and promises of firearm restrictions.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      I've seen a few mentions of gun safes and looking for recommendations for a new one.

Some of these 10 gun safes look like they would hold 2 of mine.
      Currently have 4 long guns (1 is just shy of 48" with a decently sized optic), and 4 hand guns (1 is a Mare's Leg)

Any recommendations or is there a generally consensus on a conversion rate for converting what the safe says it can hold versus reality?

All of the gun safes I've ever seen have specific indentions/shelving per firearm, so if it's a 10 gun safe, then there will be say four dividers for long guns and the door to the safe will hold pistols, usually with a shelf on the top of the safe for ammo/documents/whatever.

My only recommendations for a gun safe are:

1) get something you can get into if the power goes out. Either get one with a combination dial or a key that can open it.

2) Personally I pay close attention to the fire rating on the safe because I use it as document storage as well as firearm storage.

3) Make sure, especially if you live in a humid area, that you've got some kind of protection in the safe like a desiccant pack

4) A cheap LED strip light on a battery or one of those magnetic lightbulbs is totally worth the money.

edited January 2021
      I think beyond the standard safety equipment of good eyewear and hearing protection, a first aid kit designed around penetrating trauma is important! Tourniquet, chest seals, gauze, pressure bandage. I carry IFAKs like these in my range bags, tool chest, and vehicle because I work in remote locations with power tools more than I shoot, but also in the last two years on a stretch of highway I drive daily there have been several accidents where the victims lives have been saved by the presence of a quickly applied TQ.

Look into Stop The Bleed, HeartSaver, or IFAK-focused classes. STB should be free in regular time and covers TQs, pressure dressings, and hemorrhage. The others may cost some, but there’s not point to carrying all this fancy gear if you don’t know how to use it.

David Walgas on
      I self learned on all that shit through NAR and then took a STB through work.

You have to be brain dead to not know how to stop red stuff from coming out with that.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
      You have to be brain dead to not know how to stop red stuff from coming out with that.

I really wish general first aid was more widely taught. The last time I watched a video of a protest a guy got shot in the leg and someone from the crowd immediately wrapped a belt around the leg roughly one inch from the wound and cranked it as tight as they could get it.

I mean, look at the warning labels and instructions to things. We are a very smart and capable species.

We are also a very dumb and capable species. Soaring to new fuck ups.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
      Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    • [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
      sExSrLhh.jpg
      New grips who dis?

Got some Lok grips for christmas for my SP01, replacing some no names I picked up for cheap. I have VZ grips on other guns and the price just keeps going up, I'm pretty pleased with these. Very grippy.

Now you need to get the slide coated to match the grips.

Hot damn over the past week I've been able to score .223 and 5.56 on Natchez for about 70 cents a round after shipping. Got 500 rounds coming at this point. If ya'll on Reddit, then join InStockAmmo. Its worked pretty well for me for the most part to snag deals.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Hot damn over the past week I've been able to score .223 and 5.56 on Natchez for about 70 cents a round after shipping. Got 500 rounds coming at this point. If ya'll on Reddit, then join InStockAmmo. Its worked pretty well for me for the most part to snag deals.

Ever notice a pattern to when stock pops up or you think it's just whenever?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills

I'm still torn between doing that or spending about $400-$500 less on a nice 30-30.

I'm thinking about spending a little more money on a slightly lower magnification (but a step up in quality) scope.

Looking in the 4-16 range now. I don't really see myself stretching out past 600-800 yards or so, especially with an 18" barrel on my .308 AR-10.

I'd say the ultimate decision scopewise is what's best for your eyes. Clarity and Magnification (along with quality of course) are paramount for me due to my terrible eyesight and if I'm pushing past 100 yards I really need the extra magnification in order to see what I'm actually hitting.