As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Please tell me the wallbangs are less overpowered in Rise. I honestly did not care for them in Iceborne because of how reductive it made the gameplay.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Please tell me the wallbangs are less overpowered in Rise. I honestly did not care for them in Iceborne because of how reductive it made the gameplay.

Much less ridiculous, since you actually have to earn them.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    It's basically a function of Mounts now, right? So I assume it consequently actually has some kind of diminishing returns for how easy it is to access?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    It's basically a function of Mounts now, right? So I assume it consequently actually has some kind of diminishing returns for how easy it is to access?
    mounts seem to have a hard cooldown now, as opposed to being a status

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Function of mounts. There's some way to chain them but it requires burning the wirebug resource... plus it's still part of the same mount.They do a lot less damage, and you sacrifice the ability to wail on another monster.

They're just plain not accessible in the way Icebornes were - you'll get em, but it's something that'll happen mid hunt if you try for them. Not as an opening and every time the monster isn't enraged

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Turn-based rock-paper-scissors is actually a weirdly faithful representation of main-series Monster Hunter combat.

My biggest problem with it is that the game expects you to grind quests to upgrade your gear, and grinding turn-based encounters is boring as hell. Particularly when the combat is so simple.

Action-y combat can also be repetitive and dull, no question; but then it becomes something I can do almost mindlessly to relax. Turn-based never does that for me. It basically interrupts my train of thought every few seconds while not being interesting enough to hold my attention.

Why, yes, I'm one of those people who puts up with combat in games for the sake of the setting and story; why do you ask.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Man I fucking loved wallbangs in MHW/IB. Viscerally satisfying. I didn't like you had to tenderize constantly, I would've preferred tenderizing be harder to do but permanent throughout the hunt.

The monster riding is better as an overall mechanic and I feel the wirebug is a much better thought out clutch claw system, though I am gonna miss my clutch counters. The wirebug recovery mechanic almost makes up for it, because man does wirefall make movement feel absolutely amazing.

jungleroomx on
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Removing clutch claw is the best thing they did for rise. I hated having to tenderize things. Super annoying when it's something like rajang too that moves so much you get knocked out of the animation and lose 3/4 of your health and have to try again.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Removing clutch claw is the best thing they did for rise. I hated having to tenderize things. Super annoying when it's something like rajang too that moves so much you get knocked out of the animation and lose 3/4 of your health and have to try again.

Rajang is just a poor ass monster design for the MHW gameplay. There seems to be a thing going on with game devs these days where they think disrupting the flow of a game is somehow inherently good, like the Marauders in Doom Eternal.

It can be. But it can also ruin shit pretty quickly if not done right, and most of them do not do it right.

Edit: That's not to say I'm gonna miss tenderizing, though. Far from it. The wirebug mechanics are just better.

jungleroomx on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I liked clutch claw when it was done as a special move, for example, the end of the dual blades combo (and having the option to do the awesome jump instead of grabbing onto the monster), or the lance counter. I didn't like that it was something you could spam from neutral, and also tying monster enrage to wall bangs. They were awesome to pull off, but too easy to spam.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Clutch claw for hammer was also a really cool addition to it's moveset.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

Rajang is just a poor ass monster design for the MHW gameplay. There seems to be a thing going on with game devs these days where they think disrupting the flow of a game is somehow inherently good, like the Marauders in Doom Eternal.

It can be. But it can also ruin shit pretty quickly if not done right, and most of them do not do it right.

Edit: That's not to say I'm gonna miss tenderizing, though. Far from it. The wirebug mechanics are just better.

I mean I think a lot of the recurring monsters are poor design that need to be cut. I just especially hate that the end game is always teo, kushala, kirin, etc. They are terrible fights and are basically required to get some of the best gear.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Wall bangs and tenderizing?

edited January 2021

I mean I think a lot of the recurring monsters are poor design that need to be cut. I just especially hate that the end game is always teo, kushala, kirin, etc. They are terrible fights and are basically required to get some of the best gear.

I wouldn't be sad to see basically every pre-Tri large monster besides the Raths to get a permanent axe. Rathian is a good fight. Rathalos is... so-so, but it's basically the face of the series. Just go do the thing from 4 where you can trade for mats of monsters not in the game to get their sets (seriously don't know why it's not a thing besides there since Gigginox armor/weapons are great designs) so we can keep Kirin stuff in the game. The fight's no fun but the weapon designs are nice (as are the G-rank armor designs)

Polaritie on
    Carpy wrote: »

Quick trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS5VKMKTqbk

It was a new mechanic in the Iceborne expansion that allowed you to latch onto the monster on command, and you could either attack it there to "tenderize" the spot so it would take more damage (or lose armor properties if it had it) and if the monster wasn't enraged, you could use it to "throw" a monster into a wall which would cause it to topple and flail on the ground.

It wasn't very balanced, so fights revolved around this mechanic and it made them just feel very same-ish.

edited January 2021
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »

Quick trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS5VKMKTqbk

It was a new mechanic in the Iceborne expansion that allowed you to latch onto the monster on command, and you could either attack it there to "tenderize" the spot so it would take more damage (or lose armor properties if it had it) and if the monster wasn't enraged, you could use it to "throw" a monster into a wall which would cause it to topple and flail on the ground.

It wasn't very balanced, so fights revolved around this mechanic and it made them just feel very same-ish.

Hmmm, I didn't think there was much to that beyond getting ammo for the new wyrmstake move I can never get loaded. Good to know.

Edit: and that dope ass GS animation where you shoulder drop the blade

Carpy on

I never had the issues with Kirin that other people had.

Then again, I had a ton of issues with Rajang to the point his Furious variant was by far the hardest fight in the game for me.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I like Rajang but that's probably more Stockholm syndrome that actual fun.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    I'm a little worried that the beginning of every hunt will look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STw4-qQrtYc&t=501s&ab_channel=Vycery

But I guess real hunts in the full game will be too randomized to make this kind of thing consistent.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Took a bit to learn the LS enough but I got mitzutesune down solo.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Deans wrote: »
    I'm a little worried that the beginning of every hunt will look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STw4-qQrtYc&t=501s&ab_channel=Vycery

But I guess real hunts in the full game will be too randomized to make this kind of thing consistent.

part of it is also the demo sets are all capped at 140 true raw and have zero element

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Personally the one that mistifies me is Khezu.

Like. Who likes Khezu. It's just a bag of HP that screams constantly. Why do people keep asking for it back instead of Gigginox.

Steam ID: Right here.
    Drascin wrote: »

Like. Who likes Khezu. It's just a bag of HP that screams constantly. Why do people keep asking for it back instead of Gigginox.

Ugly armor and no weapons versus good armor/weapon aesthetics (vampires!) shouldn't even be a contest.

Khezu and Plesioth are the two fights in GU that I will invariably switch to bow just to get the fight over with as quickly as possible with no effort involved.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

I know nothing about Khezu, but I love the hell out of Gigginox and want to see it come back. Maybe in an update, we can hope.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited January 2021
    The fuck is Khezu

*googles*

What in the fuck is that and why is its neck

jungleroomx on
    I hope they at least put combat music when fighting him this time.

The fuck is Khezu

*googles*

It's the Eva Mass Produced Series, but now with lightning

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    The fuck is Khezu

*googles*

I mean... Gigginox doesn't fare too well on that test either.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited January 2021
    I say this knowing full well that I did World with a LS but after a bunch of fights with a GL I don't know how how I did progression without a big ole shield. Just being able to block everything and learn the monsters cues, I don't think I've 3 carted since I made the switch. Legitimately curious how many carts I ate trying to learn the game.

Carpy on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular

The fuck is Khezu

*googles*

i like khezu, but not as a fight, per se.
    i like it as a horrible nightmare creature, much less pleasant in visual design than anything else.

edited January 2021
    Mizutsune is so far my "new" (to me) favorite monster. I want my own soapy luck dragon.

jungleroomx on
    Mizutsune is so far my "new" (to me) favorite monster. I want my own soapy luck dragon.

Glavenus is the worst of the four, imo, so it's annoying to me it was the flagship out of them. All the others have better aesthetics. Fingers crossed for Astalos to show up. Gammoth seems unlikely.

Polaritie wrote: »

Glavenus is the worst of the four, imo, so it's annoying to me it was the flagship out of them. All the others have better aesthetics. Fingers crossed for Astalos to show up. Gammoth seems unlikely.

I really liked the Glavenus fight in MHW, but like I've prefaced before I'm a total noob and I enjoyed fights where I could tank OHK's and laugh at the stupid monsters face.

Nergigante was an absolute blast.

Polaritie wrote: »

I really liked the Glavenus fight in MHW, but like I've prefaced before I'm a total noob and I enjoyed fights where I could tank OHK's and laugh at the stupid monsters face.

Nergigante was an absolute blast.

It's not a bad fight, it's just my least favorite of the four overall. I think Gammoth's fight is the worst but it wins points for having great looking gear, while Glavenus loses points in that area. Mizutsune and Astalos have great fights and gear, and so come out on top for me.

Astalos fight is indeed great, so flashy. I also loved that I learned the timing to his double swipe, so I would i-frame each. It was such a dopamine rush.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I like Khezu because it looks like an uncircumcised penis with wings.

LD50 wrote: »
    I like Khezu because it looks like an uncircumcised penis with wings.

That was my nickname in high school

Anyone see the movie yet?

Their release timing made no sense, there are obviously no open theaters in my area, and not even an option to stream digitally.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Anyone see the movie yet?

Their release timing made no sense, there are obviously no open theaters in my area, and not even an option to stream digitally.

A quick search suggests the BR release date to be March 2nd. Won't be seeing it before then.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social