As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'd have liked a mention of whether these new nodes will replace existing oil nodes or if the two types will coexist.

If the update breaks fuel power plant setups, that'll be a pain to get fixed.

I doubt they will replace the existing oil wells. These new ones seem analogous to natural gas extraction? Naming the new ones "oil" is definitely a source of confusion though.

I mean, it might be the kind of thing where you get both from the same node/area.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ok. I have completed it last night. I built a facility in the desert biome and I am harvesting all Iron and Coal nodes and feeding them into Iron and Steel Engines.

Now to decide what to do with all these ingots. Would it be better to process the ingot into parts here and ship them via train to the next facility or better to ship the ingots and fabricate what is needed on site at the next facility?

I just kind of wanted to eat up all this tasty looking Iron that was there, now I need to decide where it goes.

As an aside: Where is a site to do something similar with Copper? (I know the website, but am on mobile and haven't had good luck using it on mobile.)

Thanks.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'd honestly just stay in the desert for copper if you're already gonna have rails into the biome, there are three pure nodes in the eastern part and normal nodes all over the place

as for what to do with ingots, it's usually best to ship them to a central location to turn them into parts, because shipping, say, copper sheets and wire is a bit more of a pain than just shipping copper ingots, and also having everything centralized takes a lot of headache out of making new production lines

Shorty wrote: »
    I'd honestly just stay in the desert for copper if you're already gonna have rails into the biome, there are three pure nodes in the eastern part and normal nodes all over the place

as for what to do with ingots, it's usually best to ship them to a central location to turn them into parts, because shipping, say, copper sheets and wire is a bit more of a pain than just shipping copper ingots, and also having everything centralized takes a lot of headache out of making new production lines

I see. I guess I will just build a second story to my processing facility for the copper. Thanks.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I mean, it might be the kind of thing where you get both from the same node/area.

The video shows nitrogen, oil and water variants of the new resource wells (at 0:49), so no, you definitely won't be getting more than one resource type from a single well.

Watching the video again, there's mention of the oil and water wells providing higher output than the current methods, so I guess they'll coexist.

My immediate thought is that having multiple different buildings that can extract oil or water seems a little bit inelegant, but it's probably fine.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I wonder if this is all tier 8 stuff. So instead of Mark 2 water and oil extractors, you have this as the upgrade.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I wish there was some way to get train tracks to follow the terrain better. Most of my train routes end up just being ridiculously high platforms that go above the terrain and it is not aesthetically pleasing.

Tried setting up nuclear, but finding a good spot for sulfuric acid production is kind of a pain.

Ok. I have completed my smithing facility for copper in the desert as well. It is gathering and smelting all pure abd normal copper nodes on the biome.

So that makes Iron and copper. Now time to finish the train station setups for the logistics of transportation to the processing facility.

Honestly I don't think I will back up my game files. If they wanna corrupt the convoluted abomination that my factory has become, so be it. I welcome the fresh start.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So if anyone wants to try a game in roughly the same vein I can recommend The Dyson Sphere Project. It's pretty much 3d Factorio in SPACE! You spawn into a stellar group on a planet, and your goal is to mine resources from planets, do assembly and research with the end goal of building a dyson sphere around a star.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    How many lizards can I pet in The Dyson Sphere Project? Is it a bunch?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    How many lizards can I pet in The Dyson Sphere Project? Is it a bunch?

I have not encountered lizards yet. I'm early on though. The Mech you control looks like a Jaeger out of Pacific Rim though.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I also just started the Dyson sphere game and it is very aestheticly pleasing.

Very early access. Can't rebind controls yet, which could be a deal breaker but they seem mostly fine. Camera on middle mouse sucks but I can deal with it.

The translation is a little odd at times.

I just unlocked conveyors so I'm about to start automating. I'm sure this idyllic planet will be covered in spaghetti soon enough.

edited January 2021
    I also just started the Dyson sphere game and it is very aestheticly pleasing.

Very early access. Can't rebind controls yet, which could be a deal breaker but they seem mostly fine. Camera on middle mouse sucks but I can deal with it.

The translation is a little odd at times.

I just unlocked conveyors so I'm about to start automating. I'm sure this idyllic planet will be covered in spaghetti soon enough.

I wish you could unhook from your mech sometimes. I'll set up a right click path for them to follow then accidentally use the movement keys just trying to move the camera around like a traditional RTS or whatever, and it cancels out the entire path. It would be nice if the mech just deviated from it but still tried to complete it unless you for sure cancelled.

Edit: ScreenShot

ohgvzagxpxp5.jpg

webguy20 on
    edited January 2021
    I always seem to lose steam when it's time to start using manufacturers.

Currently I've been trying to set up a production line to create heavy modular frames, but the logistics are daunting.

Just as a refresher, heavy modular frames require:
    1. Modular Frames(5)
    2. Encased Industrial Beams(5)
    3. Screws(100)
    4. Steel Pipes(15)

I've set up an encased industrial beam factory, but it's kinda using all my steel, so I feel like I need to find a whole new source of coal and iron just to make my steel pipes. My modular frame factory is on the other side of the map, and now I guess I need to build a factory that produces nothing but screws and have those shipped to wherever I decided to put the actual manufacturers and my god does my whole system sound inefficient. I mean, I can build all the parts, I'm just not sure how to get them all in one place on time and in the right amounts.

And don't even get me started on trying to automate the manufacture of computers. Jesus.

Makes me feel like I did it all wrong from the start. Should've just set up massive smelter factories on every node in the area and then just had 4 different train lines delivering bars of iron, copper, steel, and concrete where needed.

RT800 on
    RT800 wrote: »
    I always seem to lose steam when it's time to start using manufacturers.

Currently I've been trying to set up a production line to create heavy modular frames, but the logistics are daunting.

Just as a refresher, heavy modular frames require:
    1. Modular Frames(5)
    2. Encased Industrial Beams(5)
    3. Screws(100)
    4. Steel Pipes(15)

I've set up an encased industrial beam factory, but it's kinda using all my steel, so I feel like I need to find a whole new source of coal and iron just to make my steel pipes. My modular frame factory is on the other side of the map, and now I guess I need to build a factory that produces nothing but screws and have those shipped to wherever I decided to put the actual manufacturers and my god does my whole system sound inefficient. I mean, I can build all the parts, I'm just not sure how to get them all in one place on time and in the right amounts.

And don't even get me started on trying to automate the manufacture of computers. Jesus.

Makes me feel like I did it all wrong from the start. Should've just set up massive smelter factories on every node in the area and then just had 4 different train lines delivering bars of iron, copper, steel, and concrete where needed.

You'll definitely want to get more steel and iron production (or overlock existing iron/coal miners). I think before I did my massive retool where I replaced everything with fully overclocked mark 3 miners, I had 3 separate steel production areas (One for my main base stuff, one for encased steel beams, and one near my oil production so I wouldn't have to run back to my base for parts.) and four separate iron areas (One for basic iron stuff up to reinforced plates, one for modular frames, one for heavy modular frames and then one near my oil factory to again make parts locally)

Don't forget you can do limited automation, where you feed the manufacturers with a limited amount of parts (usually out of a storage container) rather than hooking hthem into lines. It's handy if you need a bunch of something, but don't want to work out the logistics of getting things from point A to point B.

Also remember, you can rip up your base at any time.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    there are alternate recipes for heavy frames that take a lot of the headache out

it's possible to eliminate screws entirely, for example

there are alternate recipes for heavy frames that take a lot of the headache out

it's possible to eliminate screws entirely, for example

Yea don't start Heavy Frames without the alt recipe. Its a HUGE simplification.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    It might sound crazy but doing it wrong from the start is part of the appeal. It will always go 'wrong', there's always something you could do just a little bit better. Bump up efficiency here, shorten a belt path there. I can almost guarantee that once you set up your idea of smelters + trains, soon enough you'd think of something you like better and wonder why you didn't do that in the first place.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I was able to get a Heavy Frames factory up with the original recipe by just picking a spot with lots of iron and limestone near a coal node. Pump exactly as much coal through to make exactly the number of pipes and beams needed by the manufacturer per minute, and then make approximately seven million screw constructors. I even did it without a screw alt recipe lmao, added at least three extra floors to the operation.

edit: and if that's a Mk2 on a pure coal node, that can also support a sizeable generator farm on the side.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    realizing that I could cut screws entirely out of my factory was a happy day

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I disagree with anyone that says any alternate is necessary

Some are really useful, like the screw alternate, but you should never hold off on progressing because you don't have a specific alternate. It's random which ones you get anyways, waiting for a specific one could be infuriating. Like I had to raid almost every crash site on the map before I finally got turbo fuel, which I've never messed with because at that point I was nuclear

The most efficient strategy will always be just fucking build something however ugly, and then let it pump out product while you then actually think out what a good and proper revision 2 would be

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, I don't have the alt recipe for heavy modular frames yet, but I do have the alt recipe for cast iron screws (the one where it's just ingots -> screws), which is a BIG help.

Maybe I just need to explore the map some more and find more recipes. I could just build a bunch of containers and dump the reagents into the manufacturers so that I get SOME (albeit finite) heavy frames while I fuck around elsewhere.

RT800 on
    RT800 wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't have the alt recipe for heavy modular frames yet, but I do have the alt recipe for cast iron screws (the one where it's just ingots -> screws), which is a BIG help.

Maybe I just need to explore the map some more and find more recipes. I could just build a bunch of containers and dump the reagents into the manufacturers so that I get SOME (albeit finite) heavy frames while I fuck around elsewhere.

If you’re going to be spending a bunch of time exploring, just eat into your other production and build whatever ugly splitters and conveyor spaghetti you need so that you’re always building something

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    The Refinery recipe for Iron ingots is incredibly helpful, if your steel production needs a boost. Just remember it's gonna need a ton of power to run.

Oh boy, I have some rewiring to do then.

UHHHHH THAT RULES

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    WHAT IS THAT NEW MACHINE?!

• GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

I was watching this and literally thought "man, the way that powerline is positioned is exactly like a zipline in other games. Sucks we'll never be able to do that here".

AND THEN THEY DID AND MY BRAIN EXPLODED

Gokerz on
    causality.png
    I wonder if power poles act as impediments or if you can zipline through them. Also I wonder if you need momentum to slide, or if you can just slide forever, even uphill.

These answers could completely change locomotion in this game!

3clips3 wrote: »
    WHAT IS THAT NEW MACHINE?!

they talked about it in another video

it's a well pressurizer

they're adding a new type of resource node

you put the pressurizer on the node, then you stick outputs on the spots where the stuff comes up

it's high-tier resource collection, Jace said it's going to be used for oil, water, and nitrogen (so far, with more to be added later)

obviously this will change how we look at the world map; I suspect this will make late game building in the grassy hills way less of a pain

edited January 2021
    There's apparently a 600/m limit to pipes due to engine stuff so I'm guessing this is how they're going to get above that.

Undead Scottsman on
    I wonder if power poles act as impediments or if you can zipline through them. Also I wonder if you need momentum to slide, or if you can just slide forever, even uphill.

These answers could completely change locomotion in this game!

Use your jetpack as a speed boost.

edited February 2021
    Speaking of speed boosts, we have the technology to build a space elevator but we can't wear blade runners and a jetpack at the same time?

Throw me a freakin' bone here.

And for the love of god why doesn't my gas mask work when I'm driving a vehicle!?

RT800 on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI5kRMSwo5Q

some discussion of coming changes

possible leak at the beginning: power switch, power priority switch, and power storage listed in the build menu

could just be part of the dev tools though

possible leak at the beginning: power switch, power priority switch, and power storage listed in the build menu

could just be part of the dev tools though

that was 100% intentional on their part