As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Resident Evil] Are you a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter... again?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I can’t wait to buy the ultimate digital edition of RE VIII: Village and never play it because I’m a 40 year old little fraidy cat.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Hmmm. After RE3 and RE:sistance, I'm actually kind of suspicious that they're bundling a separate multiplayer game into Village.

AFAIK Re:Verse is just free for VIII owners. You couldn't buy Resistance separately right? Or am I misremembering... My brain ain't too good today.

Yeah, it was included with RE3. In hindsight it just seems very obvious that it was used to justify charging full price for the RE3 remake despite it having relatively little content.

• Options
    Actually Village looks like it’ll be more accessible for me. It actually kind of reminds me of BioShock in some ways.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I think having a merchant gives me hope it's not all run-n-hide-n-seek. I know RE7 wasn't that all the time. I just disliked it when it was.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'll be picking it up, but I wish they would just do coop extension either of the main game or something like mercenaries. I don't really want any PvP in my RE.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    "Dusk Golem continued, "Because there's a bigger focus on exploration this would lead to the last-gen console versions having notable issues, and it was holding back how pretty they could make certain scenes. So they decided to drop the last-gen versions of the game to make it so the game had no loading at all (not limited by last gen hardware) and push the graphic overhaul further without the limitations of last-gen tech in mind.”"

*glares at CDPR*

??? It's coming out on PS4 and XBox One.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I didn't like the first 1/3 of RE7 because the Baker Family Horror Show just didn't feel like it had the heart and soul of Resident Evil. It felt like some other franchise wearing a Resident Evil mask. Plus I'm just not into that level of shock factor gore.

Exploring the Baker residence and the creepy atmosphere was fine, and collecting keys and such to escape... that part felt like RE. Just the Baker family themselves did not.

The Maiden demo was sufficiently terrifying and I am ready for RE Village.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I feel like the beginning is as much showing how fucked the Bakers are as it is to try to be horrifying. You get introduced to the monster family, then spend the rest of the game finding out that only one of them is actually a monster (the smart son who lays the traps is an actual psychopath even before the infection, isn't he?); the others are just people who live out in the woods before the infection messes them up.

I will say I cringe at the part where your hand gets chainsawed off, though. I've used chainsaws enough to be paranoid of what they can do to you, so having the hand lopped off in first-person does manage to get to me. All the stuff with the guts on the table and everything was pretty meh for me, though, I'm definitely in the crowd that's just left bored by gore-related "horror". It's almost always a cheap, lazy way to try to instill fear over building actual tension or something.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Verse looks like there's some novelty in playing as Nemesis and the big monsters but ugh they really seem to want to have the RE Engine do stuff that it just has no indication it does well.

8 looks fun though. Cool location and aesthetics and leaving their niche for more kitsch is an interesting direction.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I didn't like the first 1/3 of RE7 because the Baker Family Horror Show just didn't feel like it had the heart and soul of Resident Evil. It felt like some other franchise wearing a Resident Evil mask. Plus I'm just not into that level of shock factor gore.

Exploring the Baker residence and the creepy atmosphere was fine, and collecting keys and such to escape... that part felt like RE. Just the Baker family themselves did not.

Part of that is because it wasn't trying to be Resident Evil. They spent a lot of time evoking other beloved horror series, and honestly were largely successful.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I wonder if I should just give up trying to play RE7 in VR so I can actually get through it.

Though from what I've read it sounds like I'm mostly through the worst of it, I just don't remember what I was up to....so I'd probably have to start again.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Part of that is because it wasn't trying to be Resident Evil. They spent a lot of time evoking other beloved horror series, and honestly were largely successful.

But he is right in that it isn't RE. But then I'm of the opinion that everything after Veronica isn't really RE and is more Evil Dead Army of Darkness.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    To me, the only part of 7 that didn't feel like Resident Evil was the beginning bit. Once you get the gun and start looking for animal-themed keys and solving wacky puzzles, it feels 100% like classic PSX-era REs, just from a first person perspective.

• Options
    Yeah I really don't like the beginning of 7. And I didn't like goo-zombies but overall I really enjoyed it. Way better than 6 and that's all it needed to be.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    I can't believe noone stands up for Resistance, I play it nearly every day.

I have definitely gotten my money's worth from Resi 3.

I'm in the beta for Reverse, hoping it's good.

I have to say, the bundle of 7 and 8 is absurdly good value.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    McFodder wrote: »
    I wonder if I should just give up trying to play RE7 in VR so I can actually get through it.

Though from what I've read it sounds like I'm mostly through the worst of it, I just don't remember what I was up to....so I'd probably have to start again.

I'm jealous as PC never got the VR version of the game. That's actually the worst part of VR is how many cool looking games you PS folk get.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    So Lady Dimitrescu is a (speculation)
    perfected Titan right? Pale skin, 8 feet tall, and claws in the right hand.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    RE:Verse could be fun if Capcom actually go full ham with it. Like, if they don't limit the character roster to just the most well known names like Chris, Leon, Wesker etc. Put in guys like Barry, Sheva, Sherry, Krauser and (sigh) Steve. Hell, go for really obscure or ridiculous characters like Brad Vickers and Ramon Salazar.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    If they're gonna go full ham, go full ham. Let people play as the wounded lobby cop; you start bleeding out with a gun and flashlight, but when you die you can play dead and come back as a zombie, complete with being able to ambush people from the floor. Let us play as the insane designers of these buildings; you get to go around placing weird keys and then locking doors or putting objects in puzzle boxes. Let us play as a pack of zombie dogs, or hang out in some rafters as a murder of zombie crows.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Ya mean a
    Tyrant? Titan is the elephant from RE: Outbreak!

Yeah, you right. She some flavor of super. We also got a new El Gigante type guy here. And as this whole thing seems like a soft reboot of RE4, she might just be our Mendez stand in.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    9 foot tall vampire lady got me like

s4juddk04ufm.png

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I wonder if the tall lady in RE8 is inspired by Hasshaku-sama. Japanese game, Japanese horror urban legend.... I think it must be.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I hope a lot of time is spent in her mansion. I don't know that I've ever had a feeling of exposure like what that big main hall invokes. Six balconies looking down on it, a big railing at the top of the stairs. The whole time I was moving through that room was horrifying. And that was just one room.

Needless to say, this demo has completely sold me on RE8.
    That's a lie. I was already sold.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Watched that RE8 demo on youchewb and man, it looks really really good.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Woman_e85e98_8218476.png

• Options
    The theory of tall lady being a perfected Tyrant is a good one and I hope it's true

• Options
    HerculePyroHerculePyro Lord Mayor's CroupierRegistered User regular

Ya mean a
    Tyrant? Titan is the elephant from RE: Outbreak!

Yeah, you right. She some flavor of super. We also got a new El Gigante type guy here. And as this whole thing seems like a soft reboot of RE4, she might just be our Mendez stand in.
    I get the feeling she'll more like Ramon Salazar - not necessarily the flunky, but she does seem to report to someone. She mentions a Heisenberg in the village itself, which may well be the Chief Mendez counterpart - with 'Mother Miranda' as a counterpart Saddler. Maybe Chris filling in a Krauser-like role?

This is all assuming it'll follow similar beats to 4, which I doubt. Still, rather stoked for all this, even if I'm a big old wuss who will never actually play it, on account of being a big old wuss.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Game's trailer looked pretty neat. RE4 was one of my favorite games, so much so that I even beat it more than once. If RE8 is the spiritual sequel, I'm down. Of course, like all AAA games, I'll wait a year to play it so I can pick it up for $20 or so.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Raybies666 wrote: »

Ooo, please let us know, without voiding any NDAs of course, how REverse is!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Man there's been some good fan art of tall vampire lady.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I love Jane Douglas's reaction to seeing Lady D

https://youtu.be/Faz7orzrUDA

22:17

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »

Ooo, please let us know, without voiding any NDAs of course, how REverse is!

I signed no NDA, I just entered through the Resident evil website.

Time zones are the real roadblock, I'll be asleep for half the schedule.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    ??? It's coming out on PS4 and XBox One.

Think jungleroom's talking about the rumored revelations 3.
    "Dusk Golem continued, "Because there's a bigger focus on exploration this would lead to the last-gen console versions having notable issues, and it was holding back how pretty they could make certain scenes. So they decided to drop the last-gen versions of the game to make it so the game had no loading at all (not limited by last gen hardware) and push the graphic overhaul further without the limitations of last-gen tech in mind.”"

*glares at CDPR*

In fairness revelations 3 likely isn't even coming out this year? We should be well into people actually having PS5s when it releases.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Popped a preorder down for this, Green Man Gaming has a coupon PAYYAY that gave me 20% off.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I really don't like the beginning of 7. And I didn't like goo-zombies but overall I really enjoyed it. Way better than 6 and that's all it needed to be.

I never got past the VR demo of RE7. I crawled through the fireplace, ripped the VR helmet off my head, deleted the demo, deleted RE7, disconnected my PSVR, put it back in the box, threw that box behind a bunch of other boxes in my closet, moved, changed my name, and got facial reconstruction surgery...just to be safe.

I did finish The Maiden though.

• Options
    Yeah I'm a huge fan of horror games and films AND VR but I won't touch RE7 VR with a 10 ft pole. I think VR horror is going take me a while to warm up to.

• Options
    I've actually not played Alien:Isolation since finishing it at release because I'm saving it for when I finally have a VR setup, so it will feel as fresh as possible. Even when I enjoy them, horror games veeeerrry rarely even so much as creep me out, and Isolation was one of those rare cases. I'm looking forward to seeing if VR really makes that much of a difference.

• Options
    Even Gone Home kind of wigged me out out to the point where I couldn't play it for awhile.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I went back to RE2 to finish Leon's B route (already did Claire's A). Just about out of the Police Station for good. That part of the game is my least favorite part of the game. Not because it's not good, but because of the Tyrant.

Not Tyrant chasing or coming through walls, no, I hate those fucking footsteps. It's the Jaws terror of not knowing where he is. When he's on-screen, it's fine. I can track and deal with him. When that fuckers stomping around like a maniac, it drives me nuts.

But thankfully, it's almost over. Just got to get the bell tower done, then off to the underground stuff.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I recognize the series lost all goodwill when it went all stupid in the 2nd and 3rd games, but the first Dead Space was a really solid horror/sci-fi experience.

jungleroomx on