As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLP: Onto a comical new season

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    So, in the wake of the Atlantic article, Derpibooru decided that maybe it was time to ban outright depictions of Nazi and the glorification of hateful acts, bigotry, nazism, etc.

In response to their ban on Nazi depictions and hate speech, a huge swath of the community staged a walk out - Essentially the artists requested to be put on a Do No Post list, forbidding their art from being posted on Derpi. They also harassed the hell out of the administrators and moderators, and had a HUGE thread where they complained about their right to free speech being trampled.

To be clear - They said "You banning Nazi art is BAD, and we demand you allow it again". Yes, really.

In response to the outcry, today Derpi completely reversed course. That means: Nazi art, and art depicting gas chambers and the like, are A-Okay from here on in. On a pony art site.

I'm so sick in my heart about this. It feels like the shithead white supremacists outnumber the decent people and I feel absolutely defeated and utterly sad. I lost my longest and closest friend over this, too.

This isn't hard. Nazi shit doesn't belong in a pony community. Why is this such a controversial issue? Why do evil people keep winning EVERYwhere?

What the hay?

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    It's likely the 'slippery slope' argument a lot of them got in their skulls. Derp bans something today, they may ban more tomorrow and the artists can't have that. Same deal with people going off like a siren about freedom of speech whenever they think their ability to whine is getting the slightest of pokes, nevermind that some of those triggers have nothing to do with that freedom in the first place.

• Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    Don't lose hope just yet, late last night they reversed again after an even larger outcry from the people angry about the Nazis winning.

https://derpibooru.org/forums/meta/topics/an-announcement-from-derpibooru-s-staff

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Owenashi wrote: »
    It's likely the 'slippery slope' argument a lot of them got in their skulls. Derp bans something today, they may ban more tomorrow and the artists can't have that. Same deal with people going off like a siren about freedom of speech whenever they think their ability to whine is getting the slightest of pokes, nevermind that some of those triggers have nothing to do with that freedom in the first place.

That's pretty much it exactly. I've seen a number of big name artists saying "Gosh, I don't like Nazis, but if we ban them, what happens next? I just want to make cute pony art!", which is the kind of middling centrism that allows fascist assholes to flourish.
    Ruldar wrote: »
    Don't lose hope just yet, late last night they reversed again after an even larger outcry from the people angry about the Nazis winning.

https://derpibooru.org/forums/meta/topics/an-announcement-from-derpibooru-s-staff

This gives me much more hope - The fact that the outpouring of support for the ban got more traction than the initial pro-Nazi shits is heartening to say the least!

That being said, holy cow, Derpi staff, are you all drunk? That's like three reverse course shifts inside of a week.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    "Jack please, I'm only an elected official here! I can't make decisions by myself."

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    2Snacks with the new meme freshness (Not a full TBSP video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhU1lUQmn9g
    Get Bug Queen'd lol

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    So the fact that the eye socket is somehow matching the muscle-and-skin expression on the other side is the least disturbing and wrong thing about that.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So the fact that the eye socket is somehow matching the muscle-and-skin expression on the other side is the least disturbing and wrong thing about that.

I mean, maybe the bones are like Spider-Man's mask. That's an animation thing and not the problem

• Options
    The thing about this product that disturbs me the most is the number of people in the fandom I've seen going "This is so COOL! I NEED this!"

Am I... am I the only one who doesn't want to cut cute ponies open? The whole concept of this product just makes me super uncomfortable.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I mean, if they were presented as x-rays or illustrative medical models that would be one thing, but they're called dissectibles, for God's sake.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    From the branding I assume it's some line of toys that follows this model. Kind of weird, but if you squint a bit you could maybe argue it's a science interest toy line. "Look, biology!"

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Celestia killed me

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP

HAPPENING AGAIN

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP

wi75nm8e428p.jpg
    97lu60n0kw6h.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So was the first one of those any good?

• Options
    So it looks like G5 might be popping off this September. Maybe. A website called Kidscreen put up a couple of articles (which Equestria Daily made mention of) a CGI movie coming in September, originally meant to theatrical but now set for Netflix.
    Set in the same world featured in Magic is Friendship and Pony Life, the upcoming film will jump ahead in time to focus on new characters and unexplored corners of Equestria. The movie will also focus on modern themes like diversity and inclusion, with an activist main character working to make the pony world a better place.

• Options
    Should be interesting to see how Twilight Sparkle (and/or the rest of the old Mane Six) react to being told they're Part of the Problem.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Should be interesting to see how Twilight Sparkle (and/or the rest of the old Mane Six) react to being told they're Part of the Problem.

I mean, the last seasons were all about making the pony world more inclusive, so... no, not really?

• Options
    Speculation also is that the time skip between generations will be large enough that the Mane Six aren't necessarily around anymore. Like, multiple thousands of years? Maybe?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cannot wait for a pony to call Twilight a boomer,

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »

Twilight would patiently explain how the age ranges for that are incorrect and offer a lecture series about how generations have been named through history.

Rainbow would challenge the person who called her that to the pony equivalent of a fist fight.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »

Twilight would patiently explain how the age ranges for that are incorrect and offer a lecture series about how generations have been named through history.

Rainbow would challenge the person who called her that to the pony equivalent of a fist fight.

@shoeboxjeddy, are you Twilight?

• Options
    We have some movie news!

The movie is set to be a prelude to generation 5, a 3D animated lead-in to the new series. It's coming direct to Netflix sometime this year.
    In the new movie, the pony world of Equestria has lost its magic. Friendship and Harmony have been replaced by paranoia and mistrust, and Ponies now live separated by species. Sunny -- a feisty and idealistic young Earth Pony -- is convinced there’s still hope for this divided world, but her slightly misguided and often hilarious efforts to change hearts and minds have led to her being branded a misfit.

JoM9Grn.png

If you check the background, Sunny clearly has figurines for the mane six - And her bag is adorned with pins baring their cutie marks. Rumor is that the movie takes place far enough into the future that the mane six are stuff of legends - or at least, well told stories.

Oh, hey, and bonus - This synopsis is really pissing off the alt-right chuds who are still hanging around the pony fandom. They're already labeling the synopsis as evidence of "far left propaganda". With any luck they'll get mad enough to buzz off forever.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Now in motion!

I wish I could extract that GIF, but you get the gist.

Really liking the look at this point - detailed, but missing the uncanny valley of the 'Hello Pinkie Pie' sketches. How good it is will certainly rest on the writing and VAs, but the visuals look really good so far.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Seeing the designs in motion really adds another dimension to them. This has me quite hopeful!

• Options
    Oh, hey, and bonus - This synopsis is really pissing off the alt-right chuds who are still hanging around the pony fandom. They're already labeling the synopsis as evidence of "far left propaganda". With any luck they'll get mad enough to buzz off forever.

Prejudice and distrust between different species and types of ponies was a whole thing in G4 right from the first series, for gods sake. Idiots.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Prejudice and distrust between different species and types of ponies was a whole thing in G4 right from the first series, for gods sake. Idiots.

I've never understood how someone can enjoy MLP and hold any vaguely fascist beliefs. Those two things together would cause enough cognitive dissonance that any rational person's head would explode trying to contain it.

The entire show is based around empathy, accepting differences, being mindful of other's limits, etc. By their viewpoint the entire G4 series was leftist propaganda! Except maybe for Our Town.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    As an additional really cool bit of news, the character designs for the new ponies in the movie were done by a really awesome fan artist that Hasbro hired officially - Imalou!

After all these years... I'm so happy to finally announce that I mainly worked in designing these two cuties 💕
    Sunny ☀️and Izzy 💜

That's super neat. Basically Imalou went from fanartist to official artist - And now tons of fanartists are making fanart of their official art!

• Options
    swb90PXh.png

Can't help thinking of the Enclave from FO:E for some reason while looking at this.

• Options
    Looking good so far. I like the community involvement with the fandom artists they have hired.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    If the G5 teasers have shown anything, it's that the community is alive and kicking - the sheer amount of art that has been posted is insane. At the very least, there is an audience ready to watch.

In separate news, I found this neat album list by some guy going through a metric tonne of brony music and critiquing it... sometimes harshly, but it seems fair. Good to see Vylet getting some love on there, her recent stuff has been pretty epic. This list also confirms my suspicions that those early dubstep albums did not age well.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Befitting a thread that's been dormant for nearly 2 months...

Flufflepuff posted a new video this morning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHudthrePQ

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    EXCUSE ME WHAT

• Options
    The comics are coming to a close. The final issue will be #102, which will bring the unofficial "Season 10" arc to a close.
    Since its very inception in 2012, the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic monthly comic book series from IDW has captured the hearts and minds of filly fans everywhere. Now, after almost a decade of publication, we bid a fond farewell to Friendship is Magic with September’s issue #102, the oversized conclusion of the official “Season 10” storyline that picked up where the beloved animated series left off.

Pony comics will still be sort of a thing, though.
    However this is not the end of My Little Pony comics coming from IDW Publishing. For this October, as Equestria Daily can also exclusively announce, IDW will be launching a brand new 5 issue mini-series titled My Little Pony: Generations.

The "Generations" comics look to be exactly what's on the tin - a G1/G4 crossover miniseries.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    The cast and release date for the G5 movie have been announced.

SC62lPT.png
    The movie itself is premiering on September 24th!

Alongside the main cast, other characters will be played by Ken Jeong, Elizabeth Perkins, Jane Krakowski, Phil LaMarr and Michael McKean according to The Wrap.

I'm guessing this is all very much exclusively for the movie. I'd presume the G5 series itself winds up with a different cast.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options

SC62lPT.png

Alongside the main cast, other characters will be played by Ken Jeong, Elizabeth Perkins, Jane Krakowski, Phil LaMarr and Michael McKean according to The Wrap.

I'm guessing this is all very much exclusively for the movie. I'd presume the G5 series itself winds up with a different cast.

Ken Jeong!? What wacky world is this??

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Apogee wrote: »

SC62lPT.png

Ken Jeong!? What wacky world is this??

This! Is! EQUESTRIA!

*bucks Apogee down well*