As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Genshin Impact] 2.1 Releases 9/1.

cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
edited August 2021 in Games and Technology
h1igq3ah26q51.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=83628d06f0d6fb617df4aa3361db8285293a9cef

https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en
(Opening post shamelessly stolen from OP)

What is Genshin Impact?
A F2P open world action RPG gacha game that basically rips its exploration straight from Breath of the Wild, it's developed by miHoYo

But what IS Genshin Impact?
GI is kind of a weird game when it comes to gachas, clearly meant to appeal to a larger console audience as well as mobile gamers. If you are a fan of the large open world and style of Breath of the Wild you'll probably feel right at home. There's climbing, swimming, gliding, and you'll absolutely run out of stamina at the worst time and die because of it. There's puzzles to discover and chests to open literally everywhere. There's dungeons and world bosses and the action combat is extremely smooth with unique abilities for each character along with a fairly involved elemental combo system. Seriously, look at this chart:
SlprUP1.jpg

1.3 is out February 3rd

Systems
Cross Save: PC, IOS, Android. PS4 does not currently allow cross-save to my knowledge
Cross Play: Yes, all players can play with each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TRFPx09j_8

Getting Started with Genshin

Now that we're 4 months into the launch of the game, it can feel pretty intimidating to get started! Before we get to quick tips, the most important thing - This game plays like Breath of the Wild, and you can engage with exploration/story quests without ever engaging with the gacha elements. None of the content is hard enough to force you to spend money to roll on any characters. Getting new characters is fun, and some of the end game content requires stringent party lineup, but this is not a game about paying to win. Most of the community here is F2P or very light levels of investment.

Leveling Up

Characters
- Character Rarity: Characters come in two different flavors - 4* and 5*. The gap between 4* and 5* characters is sometimes not that wide, so don't let it color your preconceived notions of who is good or bad.
- Character Levels: Characters level up just like in any rpg, and gain some stats when they do. In general, you are going to use EXP books to level characters
- Character Ascension: Certain aspects of a character are gated behind Ascensions, which are triggered at certain level blocks (20, 40, 50, etc.). You need three different "types" of materials to ascend a character. Elemental Stones, Enemy Drops, and Farmable Ingredients. You also get free draws for ascending characters.
- Character Talents: Finally, characters can enhance their attack, skill, and boost by upgrading their Talents. Characters always have three upgradable talents, and they all use Talent Books and Enemy Drops as materials.

Weapons
- Weapon Rarity: Weapons can be 3,4, or 5*. In general, 4 and 5 star weapons can only be gotten by rolling wishes. There are 4 star craftable weapons but the materials to craft these weapons are rare
- Weapon Levels: Weapons are levelled up using Enhancement Gems.
- Weapon Ascension: Weapons can ascend just like characters, at the same level caps as characters.
- Weapon Refinement: Weapons can "eat" the same type of weapon to increase their secondary ability. This can be done up to five times.

Artifacts
- Artifact levels: Artifacts can "eat" any other artifact to gain levels and therefore more of its given stat. Every 4 levels, the artifact will generate a new "substat" up to four of them, and after that will level up those substats randomly.

World Level/Adventure Rank
Your Adventure Rank is the overall sum of experience in the world. You level this up with quests and exploration. Once your AR hits certain ranks, it will raise your World Level, which alters the difficulty of mobs in the world, the levels of domains you can tackle, and engagement with certain systems (like co-op)

Resin
This is the energy system in the game. You use Resin to complete World Bosses, Domains, and Ley Lines. Resin generates at 1 per every 8 minutes. The Resin cap is 160.
- Fragile Resin: This is an item that will immediately give you 60 Resin. These are currently rare and un-farmable. I recommend not using these at all until your World Level is 6 or higher
- Condensed Resin: Cram 40 Resin into a fairy and turn it into a consumable item that doubles your reward for Domains. Incredibly useful and time saving. You can only hold 3

Exploration Help
There are two key items you'll find while exploring Tevyat: Anemoculous and Geoculus. There are a lot of them, and they are used to level up your stamina. I recommend using this interactive map to mark them off when you find them: https://genshin-impact-map.appsample.com/#/

Primogems, Fates, and their usage
There are two currencies for making wishes (rolling the Gacha) in the game - Acquaint Fates and Intertwined Fates. Acquaint Fates, the blue ones, only work on the permanent banner. The permanent banner has a set number of 5* characters (Jean, QiQi, Diluc, Mona, Keqing) and almost all of the 4* characters currently in the game, as well as a selection of weapons. Intertwined Fates are pink/blue and are used on the Rotating Character and the Rotating Weapon banners. Primogems are the "free" currency that you get for doing certain things in the game. The exchange rate for Primogems to Fates is 160 - 1. Meaning a ten draw costs 1,600 Gems. It is my opinion that you should never be using Primogems to buy Acquaint Fates. You get these naturally through other means and it is simply not a good financial investment to put your gems towards anything other than a character banner that you are interested in. Weapon Banners should also be avoided for F2P players. That is Whale Territory.

Pity
GI has a pity system on its draws. Every Ten Draws on a specific banner guarantees a 4* item or character. Every Ninety Draws guarantees a 5* item or character. In regards to the rotating banners, this count is agnostic and carries across new banners. For instance, if you draw on a character banner 50 times and do not get the featured 5*, on the next banner you are guaranteed to get a 5* drop in at least 40 draws. Additionally, there is a secondary pity system for getting what you actually want. After 90 (80 in the weapon banner) draws, you have a 50% chance of getting the featured character. If you do not, in your next pity draw you will have a 100% chance to get the featured character. This is also carried across banners.

Quick Tips for new players
- Artifacts are more important than the game leads you to believe. Artifact set bonuses and stat gains are critical to a character being viable, even early on in the game. I use this google sheet for help with what artifacts are useful and what stats a character should be aiming for
- Once you get a team you like, you can use this calculator for numbers research https://genshinimpactcalculator.com/genshinCalc
- The "Cup" slot Artifacts can roll a "boost specific element damage" main stat. This is incredibly important to almost every character's build. Do not throw away any (4 or 5*) cups that have an elemental or physical damage boost. You never know when a character would like one.
- Leveling your character is not as important as Ascending your character. Ascension is the gate for leveling up talents and getting your character's unique stat growth boosted. The max level is 90, but in general, most characters should not be levelled past 80, and some support characters do not need to be levelled past 60/70.
- Co-op can make Domains easier and is a very painless process. If you're having trouble with a domain, click the match button and you should pretty instantly get into a 4 person party.
- The Monthly Shop will showcase 2 characters you can "buy" each month. The currency used for these characters is generated by wishing, and it's possible to get enough to buy at least one from the free pulls you can generate.

Redeeming Codes
You can redeem codes on the official website here: https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/gift
I use this resource for checking what new codes there are: https://www.pockettactics.com/genshin-impact/codes

WE ARE FRIENDS (UID Codes)

CursedKing - 604215413
Waveform - 600033021
eMoander - 605683619
AshtonDragon - 607945231
Vagrant_winds - 600592891
akjak - 607100652
Tiger Burning - 600156921
Spoit - 606501461
metaghost - 600369657
Who-Psyd - 602809720
obifett - 611314541
Maddoc - 603856499
Mighty - 604890762
411Randle - 606218000
Up Job - 604461209
Shadowfire - 601577365
Travan - 602633876
Gabriel_Pitt - 619806399
The Wolfman - 603168926
Nought - 704337850
RidleySaria - 607033509
Xantus - 615366746

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
cursedking on

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    eMoander wrote: »
    So I went over to r/HuTaoMains to see the reaction and unsurprisingly they seem pretty distraught. However, a couple of interesting tidbits that I hadn't noticed before:

Xiao banner is only 2 weeks compared to the standard up until now has been 3 weeks. No word on how long Keqing banner would be, but in theory they could do three 2 week banners in the normal 6 week update cycle, so maybe Hu Tao is coming sooner than we might have otherwise thought.

There is apparently a shot of Xiangling holding the Staff of Homa in the 1.3 trailer, which suggests that maybe it will come on the weapon banner in 1.3 sometime. Maybe in parallel to Keqing banner, but also maybe in line with the idea that Hu Tao is coming as a shorter banner right after Keqing.

Yeah, we'll see in the next few weeks, but I think this could mean a shift to either shorter banners, or more banners that actually overlap.

It's pretty easy for me to see a scenario where there is a "New" character banner and a "Returning" character banner, for instance.

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    In all the news for patch 1.3, I forgot that this should also include the Zhongli/geo buffs. Definitely looking forward to seeing how much of an improvement it is.

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Great work on the OP! It does look like there are a lot of new friends-list features coming in 1.3, maybe it would be useful to have a list of active users added to the OP as well?

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    In all the news for patch 1.3, I forgot that this should also include the Zhongli/geo buffs. Definitely looking forward to seeing how much of an improvement it is.

Do we know what the proposed Geo Buffs are?

Great work on the OP! It does look like there are a lot of new friends-list features coming in 1.3, maybe it would be useful to have a list of active users added to the OP as well?

I am not sure I even know what the process is for that stuff. What information do we need? Like...a username or something?

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    That new thread smell. Now the question is, do i want xinyan or extra constellations? Im not feeling Xiangling for my fire user but its either her or Amber at the moment.

steam_sig.png
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Thanks for putting up a new thread! It was on my to-do list but I've been super busy with work stuff so I definitely don't mind!
    cursedking wrote: »

I am not sure I even know what the process is for that stuff. What information do we need? Like...a username or something?

I think forum name and UID is about all that's needed?

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    That new thread smell. Now the question is, do i want xinyan or extra constellations? Im not feeling Xiangling for my fire user but its either her or Amber at the moment.

I’d grab new characters (to you), unless the relevant constellation is a big impact one.

Xinyan is my main dps, so I’m not gonna say don’t grab her. But I have her at C6, so my experience probably isn’t typical.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    edited January 2021
    metaghost wrote: »

They talked about it awhile ago, but they also said that they were subject to change, so we won't know exactly how things will turn out until the patch hits. Their page on the buffs is here: https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/news/detail/7524

tl;dr: - Zhongli getting extra damage based on his max HP on more things besides just his burst. His charged E is more resistant to being interrupted and creates a steele if there isn't one already.
    - Geo resonance (when you have 2+ geo characters in one party) also increases shield strength, and shielded characters will lower the geo resistance of enemies they hit.
    - Geo shields (like Noelle's and Zhongli's; not the shields created through regular crystalize reactions) will now have 150% damage absorption for physical and elemental attacks instead of 250% absorption for geo attacks.

AshtonDragon on
    Xiangling is definitely better than Amber, but yeah if you're not feeling her than grabbing xinyan isn't a bad idea. I haven't used her to any extent since Zhongli's banner, so I don't really have much of an opinion on her though

They talked about it awhile ago, but they also said that they were subject to change, so we won't know exactly how things will turn out until the patch hits. Their page on the buffs is here: https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/news/detail/7524

tl;dr: - Zhongli getting extra damage based on his max HP on more things besides just his burst. His charged E is more resistant to being interrupted and creates a steele if there isn't one already.
    - Geo resonance (when you have 2+ geo characters in one party) also increases shield strength, and shielded characters will lower the geo resistance of enemies they hit.
    - Geo shields (like Noelle's and Zhongli's; not the shields created through regular crystalize reactions) will now have 150% damage absorption for physical and elemental attacks instead of 250% absorption for geo attacks.

So nothing much for Ningguang, though that may motivate me to make more teams with her and Noelle (or start upgrading Geo Traveler's talents).

Ningguang would appreciate the resistance-shreading of the geo resonance if you can fit another geo character in the team, but yeah. It's mostly for Zhongli, with Noelle also getting an extra boost to her shield too.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Correction for the OP. Weapon banner pity is at 80 pulls compared to the other banners where it is 90.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

So nothing much for Ningguang, though that may motivate me to make more teams with her and Noelle (or start upgrading Geo Traveler's talents).

Geo Resonance being the only source of Geo Resistance shredding (outside of Zhongli's new buffed shield) is actually huge for her as she's the Geo carry.

It's a combination 15% damage dealt buff (not 15% Attack buff like it used to be) and 20% Geo resistance shred! It's huge for Geo dps.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Is Honkers(Honkai Impact 3rd) talk cool here? Because I made mistakes!

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So thanks to Maddoc the other day for informing me for the first time in over 250 hours of playing this game that the element bosses are NOT a daily respawn boss as I had thought and that they in fact respawn fairly quickly if you leave the zone.

...I am a dumbass.

New web event just started too:
    https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/news/detail/8247

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    So thanks to Maddoc the other day for informing me for the first time in over 250 hours of playing this game that the element bosses are NOT a daily respawn boss as I had thought and that they in fact respawn fairly quickly if you leave the zone.

...I am a dumbass.

To be fair, they do have 5 minute cooldown or some such after you've killed them 3 or 4 times (can't remember which) and sometimes actually getting them to respawn requires teleporting a sufficient distance away and walking (ugh, walking) to the boss arena.

These may be console-exclusive issues. The console build sure is something.

Correction for the OP. Weapon banner pity is at 80 pulls compared to the other banners where it is 90.

i had no idea, that's neat

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

I don't know what this is, or what im doing, but im doing it.

steam_sig.png
    yeah it's immediately a bunch of hilarious garbage but the bottom line is you can eventually get 120 gems from it.

cursedking wrote: »

i had no idea, that's neat

Yeah, but the downside is your pity is for one of the two weapons on the banner which is always 50/50, so you can easily hit pity several times in a row and never get the weapon you wanted.

• WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    I'm having extremely good results with 4 piece Archaic Petra on Zhongli and 4 piece Retracing Bolide on Ganyu + a Pyro unit to provide Melt. Worth considering if you don't want to go for a Freeze build with her.

• MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    ooh! new codes in the codesite:

nBEm3myAL2b – 100 primogems, 50,000 mora (new)
    dU2mhjQL1ZT – 100 primogems, five hero’s wit (new)
    jsSK8n23jzR – 100 primogems, ten mystic enhancement ore (new)

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Planning on doing Noblesse Oblige on Zhongli, but I want him purely to stack as much HP as possible and swap in just to create massive fuck you shields and drop meteors.

Speaking of Razor being a good boy, lol @ physical weak enemies. Also man do I wish Gladiator (& Wanderer's Troupe as well) were easier to farm so I could improve his artifacts more.

NmSQstH.png

Not bad for white damage from an auto-attack swing.

Maddoc wrote: »
    Planning on doing Noblesse Oblige on Zhongli, but I want him purely to stack as much HP as possible and swap in just to create massive fuck you shields and drop meteors.

Very much this. I went HP/HP/Geo Damage for his main stats and it's wonderful. Now that I'm used to having shields I can't imagine going without them. Not ever having to deal with being hitstunned and knocked down is amazing.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Even prior to the buff, he's better than people gave him credit for just for having a giant shield with the best CD/Duration ratio available, and a good burst with a strong CC attached

After the buff I maintain that he might be the overall best character in the game

EDIT: I should try Noelle, Albedo, Zhongli in 1.3

Maybe Geo Traveller too

Maddoc on
    He'll be right up there with Venti, and they are both Archon's so that seems fine to me :)

Meanwhile, in Honkai,
    8fa29esxzcv2.jpg

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Waveform wrote: »

Very much this. I went HP/HP/Geo Damage for his main stats and it's wonderful. Now that I'm used to having shields I can't imagine going without them. Not ever having to deal with being hitstunned and knocked down is amazing.

Albedo was not really such a bad choice for my first all-in 5* chase. Even with only the crystallize shields he does an amazing job of papering over mistakes / greed.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, in Honkai,
    8fa29esxzcv2.jpg

Get in the Robot Mei!

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, in Honkai,
    8fa29esxzcv2.jpg
    That is one blatant Asuka expy...

...Sonovabitch it really is her.

I have now become extremely scared if/when Genshin decides to go into crossover territory.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited January 2021
    This is actually the first crossover they've ever done, so it's kind of a big deal

Add to that that I think the only reason it's happening is that Eva was such a huge influence on Honkai

Maddoc on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Please take note that the PlayStation®4 version of this event will be released at a later date due to issues with account mechanics. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, Travelers.
    Great, now I need to keep an eye on it.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    Fighting all three Hypostatis back to back with a single team is possibly the least fun thing I've done in this game. They are all just so obnoxious.

I think I would have liked trying to maximize points on the three cubes. But I also see being able to basically skip them as being my reward for doing well on the others. I only had to get 200 points today.

Yeah, I didn't have to do much on the three cubes either, but I thought it was a good challenge (at first I thought all three were going to be out on the field at the same time, which...ouch). I basically just had to do it with no healer and rely on food for spot coverage to be able to hit all the weakpoints on all the cubes. The choice of the damage-up was also a big F U; like do Ganyu and Diluc really need extra dps there? Thanks game for rubbing in that I don't have either one. And Sucrose has got to be the absolute least useful character to use on any of the cubes, wtf.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Been bullying Taishan Mansion lately

https://youtu.be/yTyaPxCE3HI

Not as fast as some of the whale setups but feels respectable enough

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Been bullying Taishan Mansion lately

Not as fast as some of the whale setups but feels respectable enough

Geez. I was really happy with getting just under a minute on that one earlier today, but yours is faster. I also used Ganyu to clear out the first wave, but I had Childe+Beidou wipe out the agents. I can consistently kill the one agent before a tracking fireball spawns, but they're usually not grouped enough for me to have much damage on the other one at that point.