As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Searching temporarily disabled

13»

• MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm guessing using the "find all posts by this user" has also been removed as I'm getting "Meiz, you do not have permission to access this page."

Meiz on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Meiz wrote: »
    I'm guessing using the "find all posts by this user" has also been removed as I'm getting "Meiz, you do not have permission to access this page."
    "Find all posts by this user" is just a shortcut to search for posts by that user name.

Thanatos on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thanks, Moe.

Goose! on
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shurakai wrote: »
    How much server use does the subscribed threads feature use? It takes a few seconds for my user cp to load whenever I want to change something, and I'm assuming thats because I have hundreds of subscribed threads that I never look at clogging up the intertubes.

Anyway, the site has been extremely slow and unresponsive whenever I visit it lately, with server timeouts and gateway errors left and right. Its still browsable, but generally I am inclined to surf elsewhere after about a half hour of coping with it.

If I had to choose between losing search and losing email notifications, I'd take the email. But I would guess Search takes up a lot more power.

Or do what NeoGAF does and only allow emailing at midnight. Even if you choose instant.

Maybe search could only search threads newer than a year or so maybe?

Jasoco on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is there any way to have a Tools->Today's Posts done automatically every 30 minutes or so, and cached? Even every few minutes might not be so bad since it only has to be done once, not for several users.

MKR on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I notice I can search again!

Is this a temp fix, or is it permanent?

Or am I needlessly nosey?

LewieP on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm guessing permanent, for the time being.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm feeling spots of lag, but nothing like how it was before.

MKR on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    I'm still getting lag spikes like fucking mad.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2008
    yeah i'm getting some 504s

(mostly when i try to search)

Garlic Bread on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited February 2008
    It is probably temporary, depending on how the server holds up. We haven't moved servers yet, and until we do search does still have a tendency to cause a ruckus.

Ramius on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've gotten one 504 and a few lag spikes since the renewal of searching

not bad, considering what it used to be like.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Already asked this with no response, but would it help to set a lockout of a few minutes between searches? That seems like it would be a fairly good compromise until the underlying issues are resolved.

jothki on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    forums are severely lacking for me again. Took me ~15 seconds to get to this page.

Aldo on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just got five 504's while trying to open five tabs :|

Tav on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Just now, hella timeouts all over the place

Medopine on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Just now, hella timeouts all over the place

LewieP on
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm not getting 504's or timeouts, but it is taking a while to load pages.

Jasoco on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, upwards of ten seconds for pages to load.

Brolo on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I get hit with occasional 10 second load times, but it's running smoothly for the most part.

Me Too! on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    And here we go, one week later it's slow again. I figured things wouldn't be too busy at 2AM EST. Gettin' 504 gateway timeouts and angry messages on a harsh white screen. I suppose that's my cue to stop trying to search.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    And here we go, one week later it's slow again. I figured things wouldn't be too busy at 2AM EST. Gettin' 504 gateway timeouts and angry messages on a harsh white screen. I suppose that's my cue to stop trying to search.

YOU THOUGHT WRONG

Seriously though, I noticed it too a little last night. Not as bad as it had been though.

Satan. on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh yay, the search function is back up.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Threads seem to load rather slow. Forum index is quick as a fox, but once I try to look at a thread I often have to wait 5-10 seconds for it to load. It only happened this past week. It could be me, though. Just thought I'd let y'all know.

Aldo on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Last night I got a Gateway timeout searching for "science". Probably way too broad a term but, you know, just reporting the crash.

Jasconius on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Searching has been very slow to completely unsuccessful for me over the past day or so.

jothki on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited March 2008
    search is there, but very unreliable for anything other than very specific, constrained queries. Sorry, but nothing I can do about it until they move our site to new hardware. And don't ask when that is happening, because I honestly don't know and every previous guess I've made has been wrong.

Ramius on
    edited March 2008
    Ramius wrote: »
    search is there, but very unreliable for anything other than very specific, constrained queries. Sorry, but nothing I can do about it until they move our site to new hardware. And don't ask when that is happening, because I honestly don't know and every previous guess I've made has been wrong.
    Well then you should say they're going to happen next year, so they happen this year.

Right?

Satan. on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Ramius wrote: »
    Well then you should say they're going to happen next year, so they happen this year.

Right?

No you fool, you forget that the sword slices both ways. It could be two years if he says next year.

Better test it by saying next week first.

Unknown User on
    edited March 2008
    Good thinking!

Satan. on
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm getting some 30-60 second load times this afternoon.

Kreutz on