As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am making this thread to give myself somewhere to yell about 13 SENTINELS: AEGIS RIM

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
okay I think most of y'all already played this but now it's time for me to play it and I'm only in the prologues and my head is already spinning

the game is called 13 Sentinels and yet there seem to be way more than thirteen sentinels and there was a part of the game that was very specifically set in 2024 and then it said "6 months later" and suddenly the year was 1984 and I am already lady looking confused at math dot jpeg and I've barely gotten started

so I think I'm gonna need this as a resource to commiserate and you can use it too I guess

13 Sentinels: you should probably play it! you probably already did! I dunno!

6F32U1X.png

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I have this on my hard drive, but I'm waiting until after I've finished Persona 5 Royal.

I'm really looking forward to playing it.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I wish 13 Sentinels had as many characters as it has characters

Like there's a jillion characters but there are only three or four characters

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    This game is great, the beginning is great, the middle is great, the end is SUPER great, it’s all around pretty great.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    This game is great, the beginning is great, the middle is great, the end is SUPER great, it’s all around pretty great.
    Spoilering because I don't wanna rain on the parade of anyone digging the game as they're playing it

But daaaaaaang, did the ending do very little for me. I couldn't invest in any of the characters, because they had only the barest sketches of personalities. I found it harder and harder to care what happened to them, let alone who they randomly declared their love for.

The whole story ended up feeling more like a Wikipedia summary of a story than anything with heart and soul.

• Options
    I think the part so far where the horny levels are truly off the charts is the school nurse lady

take it down a notch, folks

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I started this but it's been hard to get in that groove where I just lock in and play for a few hours, but I only just cleared the prologues so maybe it'll hook me more once I'm in it properly

Edit: I kinda hate the battle sections

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    oh no I finished the prologues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bOSuFfC1Rs

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    the general recommendation seemed to be "just play the battles on easy!" which I tried and uh, they are way too easy

I am beating these things without even having to move my units

think I'm gonna have to turn it up to get anything out of it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I kinda regret spoiling myself by listening to giantbomb goty stuff because everything sounds amazing

Peas on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    This's one of those games where every week or so I hear people raving about it and go 'man I should get that' and then I see it's only on playstation

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I would like the battles a bit more if they weren't in that kinda shitty digital war table style and instead I actually got to see my mechs hit some monsters

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'm not sure why everyone dismisses the battles to the degree of setting it to casual (edit: by default). It's not even very difficult to hit S rank every single time on normal.
    It's not the deepest gameplay ever, but I didn't think it was so terrible as to just skip it entirely. Plot actually plays out through those segments as well.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if this game is planned to ever come out on other platforms? I would be willing to give it a shot, but I'm not buying a ps5 any time soon.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I'm not sure why everyone dismisses the battles to the degree of setting it to casual. It's not even very difficult to hit S rank every single time on normal.
    It's not the deepest gameplay ever, but I didn't think it was so terrible as to just skip it entirely. Plot actually plays out through those segments as well.

I think for most people they're here for the vn stuff and the tactics game is just in the way

I liked it well enough but I get it

• Options
    edited January 2021
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I'm not sure why everyone dismisses the battles to the degree of setting it to casual. It's not even very difficult to hit S rank every single time on normal.

I think for most people they're here for the vn stuff and the tactics game is just in the way

I liked it well enough but I get it

Yeah I absolutely get it if you don't like it, but the talk around the game has hit the point that it's becoming the assumed stance to just ignore it, and it feels like it'd be a shame if people didn't even really try it. I liked it as a companion to the rest.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    So I’m going into this pretty blind except knowing one dude loves some yakisoba pan.

First thing I’m noticing is the music and art rules. This almost watercolor art style is way better than I thought it would be.

• Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    Spoilering because I don't wanna rain on the parade of anyone digging the game as they're playing it

But daaaaaaang, did the ending do very little for me. I couldn't invest in any of the characters, because they had only the barest sketches of personalities. I found it harder and harder to care what happened to them, let alone who they randomly declared their love for.

The whole story ended up feeling more like a Wikipedia summary of a story than anything with heart and soul.

Some full game spoiler dislikes talk
    I really really enjoyed this game. But you're not wrong about there not being a whole lot of character to their characters beyond some cliche archtypes. I think what worked so well for me was the structure and plotting. The unwrap of the reveals stacking on top of each other and keeping them pretty viable no matter the order you took them in. I HATE but kind of expected the Persona 4-esque "no-homo" beats of the ending for Tsukino and Hijiyama, although that whole plot is fraught with bad stuff that could have been much better. Pretty much all the characters devolve into destined to be love pairings without enough to back it up. I liked the english performances, music, but yeah structure, plotting, art. I was very wary coming from the Dragon's Crown folks that there'd be hyper sexualization everywhere, but it's mostly confined to one character. At lot of good high impact moments with splash art. Moments of a sentinel appearing and all the windows shattering *chef's kiss*.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i am bookmarking this thread so that i can yell about it when i eventually get around to playing it

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i loaned my buddy my copy since i finished and he's loving it

my work here is done

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm the jerk for going around being a downer, but I get pretty depressed whenever some game takes the internet by storm and I can't engage with it at all because it has transphobic shit in it. Especially when few enough people notice it or care enough to talk about it that it gets left as a fun surprise for me to run into organically.

Maybe I'd be less bitter about it if, in the same month in which I crashed out of watching a stream of Aegis Rim on the line "that was really a man; he just dresses like that for his own reasons", I hadn't also crashed out on a Game Grumps LP of Daganropa and watched my bored friend clicking on random Netflix animes crash out of two or three in a row. Just story after story of writers going, "I cannot conceptualize any possible distinction between a trans woman and a drag queen, and it's very important that this attitude comes through in my art." I had to live through getting got by Zelda, for fuck's sake. It's relentless lately.

Apparently the English localization of Aegis Rim is embarrassed enough that it changes a couple of lines of dialogue later on to try to salvage the situation, but this is enough of a pattern of behavior that the original intent isn't much less transparant to me than cases where, say, a woman with a full beard, ten times the body mass of any cis male character, a voice multiple octaves lower than any cis male character, and a grotesque parody of a human face which isn't even drawn in the same style as the rest of the cast is yelling at some guy and the guy soliloquies "ah, yes, I've heard of this, she's this way because of the Martian radiation, and not some other reason that might get our localization gig canceled after the first season" (literal example from some show, not an exaggeration).

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    endlessly fascinated by the structure here

one of the only things I can find to compare it to is something like Her Story, though that is a linear story told in a nonlinear fashion and this is a nonlinear story that is...also told nonlinearly, and basically every piece of new information that feels like it makes any sense at all feels like a huge revelation just to get SOME kind of grasp on what's going on, even if what I think it is ends up being totally wrong

VanillaWare says "Christopher Nolan, eat our entire ass"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    i thought the gameplay was fine (and i played it on hard!) and it felt like the type of gameplay that could be really good if elaborated on in a sequel. the main thing that i didn't like was that the game is essentially turn based, and the only reason it is real time is so you can have swarms of enemies without the game slowing to a crawl (which, tbf, is actually an important reason, because some of the missions would not have the weight that they did without the sense of being outnumbered and in a desperate situation)

good game, i liked it a lot. i am somewhat surprised at the level of acclaim it received because i feel like the game lacks the sort of emotional moments that typically lead to the level of raving that 13 Sentinels has had in certain circles

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    One of my favorite games ever, all the criticisms are absolutely valid of it though, but damn I loved this game, platinumed it, and wish I could wipe my memory and play it fresh again.

• Options
    how do y'all break this thing up, do you just do one "full" playthrough of a character and then bounce to another one, exhaust everything available for a single character before moving on to another one, I can't figure out what's proper pacing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I kept the percentages for Destruction/Remembrance as equal as I could, and stuck with characters until I hit a lock.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    how do y'all break this thing up, do you just do one "full" playthrough of a character and then bounce to another one, exhaust everything available for a single character before moving on to another one, I can't figure out what's proper pacing

Everything in heard is just play one until you cant then move to the next

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    can I ask what is the point of having checkpoints in the adventure segments if they don't stay after you've finished a line

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I am stuck in some fucking loop as Iori, my two idiot friends keep looping the same lines about this cat and I can't escape
    What the fuck am I doing

Edit I got it but man the mechanics of walking around and interacting with stuff in this is pretty unintuitive

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Edit: solved that too. Apologies for posting through it. I have some... frustrations with this dialogue system

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    I have yet to really understand why you have to continually reconfirm you want to talk to people inside of the same conversation

like it makes sense when it's doing these clockwork scenes where stuff is happening all the time

but man we're standing in an empty hallway with nothing else going on just keep going

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I have been playing it a little bit by bit since Christmas at the speed where I'm still in prologues, but going off the earlier comment.

I had to put the game down when an apparently written as nonbinary character was aggressively misgendered and outed by someone chasing them and the result being my pov character continuing to misgender them in their internal dialog and notably doing it way more than any other character had been referred to with any pronouns period up to that point.

Like I couldn't sleep that night and tried to search what the hell was going on because I'd only heard praise for the game and surely someone would have noted something about that in the first few hours.

Basically all I found was hard G type people actually mad thinking it was some kind of woke pandering with a localization change. Which frankly has a lot of layers but anyway...

I don't have the cultural understanding of cross dressing in Japan to effectively judge this. It could be a more normalized thing than my western exposure. I might still suspect that it has ties to trans culture in Japan because of what I do know about Japan's broad LGBT stances though. And even if the localization changed an aspect of a character to make them more understandable to a western audience, then they did a shitty job by changing 2 character establishing lines and making a lot of things read as explicitly transphobic attacks by extension

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I have been playing it a little bit by bit since Christmas at the speed where I'm still in prologues, but going off the earlier comment.

I had to put the game down when an apparently written as nonbinary character was aggressively misgendered and outed by someone chasing them and the result being my pov character continuing to misgender them in their internal dialog and notably doing it way more than any other character had been referred to with any pronouns period up to that point.

Like I couldn't sleep that night and tried to search what the hell was going on because I'd only heard praise for the game and surely someone would have noted something about that in the first few hours.

Basically all I found was hard G type people actually mad thinking it was some kind of woke pandering with a localization change. Which frankly has a lot of layers but anyway...

I don't have the cultural understanding of cross dressing in Japan to effectively judge this. It could be a more normalized thing than my western exposure. I might still suspect that it has ties to trans culture in Japan because of what I do know about Japan's broad LGBT stances though. And even if the localization changed an aspect of a character to make them more understandable to a western audience, then they did a shitty job by changing 2 character establishing lines and making a lot of things read as explicitly transphobic attacks by extension
    From what I've been able to turn up, the concept of that character being nonbinary was, in fact, a total invention of the localization. Presumably because decided the inherent trans-erasure and general absurdity of writing such a character as a totally cis, totally straight dude (which the original text did) was even more offensive. Plus they probably figured "well, nobody understands what a nonbinary person is anyway, so at that point we can just say anything and get away with it."

Although it's hard to get good details since, as you noticed, absolutely nobody who talks or writes about this game cares at all. Like, literally not even one single person.

At the bare minimum I guess I'm glad I randomly stumbled into that shit on a stream before I got rubed into investing time, money, and emotional energy into the game myself. Seems like it was pretty slim odds.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    This's one of those games where every week or so I hear people raving about it and go 'man I should get that' and then I see it's only on playstation

Not anymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGKmDAeWxI

Switch version just came out.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I was trying to dig into this a little more but I was kinda lost because it had been a while, so I might as well start over on the Switch

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It's a fantastic game. Very ambitious, but I love how it all came together. Especially loved the chaotic RTS gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oq9utTsAMg
    The level where this plays in battle is amazing.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The combat I can kind of take or leave. I think I'm kinda salty that it's all wireframe digital display stuff, which is kind of hard for me to make sense of, as opposed to actual visuals of the city and the mechs

• Options
    I can't imagine it being done any other way with all the thousands of missiles and explosions raining down.

I still remember people claiming there'd be no gameplay and it'd be just a VN, and the gameplay wound up being some of my favorite parts. This is the team that made GrimGrimoire, they know how to make a good RTS.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »

Not anymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGKmDAeWxI

Switch version just came out.

Oh perfect! Just finishing up Kirby now, so I can grab it in a few.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I'm playing it right after I finish Elden Ring, so like next year

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.