As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Life of [Raspberry] Pi

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Is there any pros/cons to the various resellers of the Pi? Or is it all the same?

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    @VoodooV All the same if you're buying just the board. Different sellers stock different accessories/cases etcetera.

This retailer is pretty good, they make their own branded stuff too.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I bought one of these kits:

0dm8kjth2xhy.jpg

It's a pretty nifty use of a Zero W (I'm SSH-ing into a Gameboy, LOL), but I'm having this weird problem where the sound is horribly distorted and games lag every other boot, I can't figure it out. :(

Zilla360 on
    Fixed the sound problems etcetera. GPIO pins weren't getting good enough contact. I accidentally broke one of the interface board's stand-off screws by over-tightening it, so only 3/4 screws are where they should be.
    Still, it works fine now though, just as a bit of a bodged job. :rotate:

edited November 2019
    Note to self: Do not attempt to upgrade the kernel on a device that relies on binary-only device driver modules, compiled against a very specific version of said kernel. Doh!

Zilla360 on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've been suspecting that's what the youtube app does on mobile, but I haven't been arsed to get out wireshark to have a look.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    New PiOS version coming soon (or the article is old and it's here?)

Adds CUPS native with a GUI, changes the audio codec, and updates/adds Chromium for browsing.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Echo wrote: »
    I've been suspecting that's what the youtube app does on mobile, but I haven't been arsed to get out wireshark to have a look.

It genuinely amazes me that people sincerely use YouTube without some way to mitigate the adverts. I just can't endure the sheer density of ads. Thank god for ad-blockers - although I have the feeling that Google will close that loophole soon.

V1m on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

It genuinely amazes me that people sincerely use YouTube without some way to mitigate the adverts. I just can't endure the sheer density of ads. Thank god for ad-blockers - although I have the feeling that Google will close that loophole soon.

Youtube refused to work when I had it ad blocked on pihole.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I'm shocked that people still use YouTube without some sort of app (that, among other things, blocks ads and has a less terrible interface).

Google does block that with API changes from time to time.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I'm shocked that people still use YouTube without some sort of app (that, among other things, blocks ads and has a less terrible interface).

Google does block that with API changes from time to time.

I set up Firefox with uBlock Origin, and that combo seems to do the trick.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    So, the Pi foundation did a thing today:

The Pi Pico

The things cost $4. They are based on a dual core Cortex M0 chip built specifically for them.

At that price, I ordered a few so I can get into all kinds of trouble.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    So you need a breadboard to do anything with it? I guess I'm not fully versed on what they mean by 'microcontroller'.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Looks like a Pi board without the standard I/O - you have to roll your own. Which is both good and bad; it’s going to save space and parts but be a bigger technical challenge.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Mugsley wrote: »
    So you need a breadboard to do anything with it? I guess I'm not fully versed on what they mean by 'microcontroller'.
    Pretty much. It's more like an Arduino in terms of what it can do.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

At $4 I've been think of the cool things I could do with it. Right now, I think a temperature + humidity sensor and a small e-ink display and I could easily make a device for cheap that measures and reports temperature/humidity in each room its in. Something that would be actually useful to me.

Another thing I've been thinking of for a good while is building a replacement for nuclear detector DAQ (data acquisition) system that I have to use for research at my school. The thing is built into old P3/P4 PCs with ISA cards, which, how many people have seen an ISA card nowadays, much less a motherboard that supports them. The PCs are on the edge of failure, and the replacement for them is very much not cheap.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    Do they not have ISA to PCIe riser cards?

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Not sure? PCI to PCIe is easy enough but ISA was a totally different standard, not just electrically but logically. You’d need some kind of active element on the board at least.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Do they not have ISA to PCIe riser cards?

I think so, but it would require significant engineering resources to get everything working correctly due to how PCIe and ISA cards are addressed. Our engineer looked into building new cards for the PCIe bus but even getting through the specifications alone was months and months of work. The PCs are running RHEL 4 (maybe even RHEL 3), so the software itself may not even be easy to port to a newer version of linux.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

At $4 I've been think of the cool things I could do with it. Right now, I think a temperature + humidity sensor and a small e-ink display and I could easily make a device for cheap that measures and reports temperature/humidity in each room its in. Something that would be actually useful to me.

Another thing I've been thinking of for a good while is building a replacement for nuclear detector DAQ (data acquisition) system that I have to use for research at my school. The thing is built into old P3/P4 PCs with ISA cards, which, how many people have seen an ISA card nowadays, much less a motherboard that supports them. The PCs are on the edge of failure, and the replacement for them is very much not cheap.

Is there something about the Pico that makes this possible now vs having used something like a Pro Micro (arduino) in the past?

BlazeFire wrote: »

Is there something about the Pico that makes this possible now vs having used something like a Pro Micro (arduino) in the past?

Really more the cost than anything else. Looking at the arduino website, you can get almost 3 of these vs. the cheapest arduino listed there.

Quake on the Zero W:
    c453rktmg63m.jpg

It looks a lot more impressive in motion. :)

Microcenter has the Pico for $2+tax right now, if any of you are interested and have one nearby

Hey Jesse, it'd time to cook build!
    9mrs1b3skja0.png

onbfrhv8j9yw.jpg
    ..... ->>>

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    That reminds me, I should finish my volume knob project.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Edit - I'm a simple dumbass. Copy/Pasting the Contents of the boot folder worked.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    edited October 2021
    @Capt Howdy If it's a Pi 4 Model B, you can also now configure it to boot from a USB mass storage device, such as a USB flash drive, ideally 4GB or larger. :)

Zilla360 on
    Now I'm getting a render error. Blah.

edited October 2021
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Now I'm getting a render error. Blah.
    Probably just re-flash the card with NOOBS at that point, unless there's data you don't want to lose.
    Or maybe the BCM2711 has overheated and developed a fault?

Zilla360 on
    There is definitely data I dont want to lose. Mores the pity.

Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W is out. 40% more performance (single threaded), same form factor, and can still be passively cooled.

A very nice upgrade. :)

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Are there any mods that would let me secure a pi in a midsize tower in a drive bay? So I could access the ports on the front and provide power with the molex? I have a pi3 with a pretty typical case.

I'm going to be dumping some old parts into a case (ATX mid tower) and would like to arrange things to be more tidy. I figure if my home server can have the pi I use for Pi-Hole and managing some network storage that nested in it, would be nice.

dispatch.o on
    You may have to make it yourself out of a drive cover and power components from a drive bay addon.

I haven't looked whether anyone sells Molex-to-Pi power adapters. It may be out there. It's 12V no matter what so it should be fine from a concept level

edited November 2021
    You may have to make it yourself out of a drive cover and power components from a drive bay addon.

I haven't looked whether anyone sells Molex-to-Pi power adapters. It may be out there. It's 12V no matter what so it should be fine from a concept level

Would you just go molex 12v to USB into the pi? I figured there would be some sort of voltage/current protection in there somewhere.

dispatch.o on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    You do. Pi wants 5v, and the older ones don't even want the higher amperage line.

I've seen a lot of people just route a USB cable back into the case to power it, could do something off one of the rear ports and just come back in one of the PCI bays you have open?

My motherboard has a pin-out for the front facing USB ports. So it might be a good idea to get the ~5v you need that way, or use a powered hub just resting inside the case somewhere.

If you know someone with a 3D printer, your imagination is the limit, really.

Actually that would be a cool idea for a project. I could use one of my empty 5.25 bays to mount an LCD (driven by a Zero 2 W) that shows temps, htop or pihole stats over SSH.

edited November 2021
    I'm thinking a Silverstone GD-09 and just rewiring a USB expansion card I have sitting around to occupy a PCI-E slot but not actually interact with the motherboard. Use it externally for a USB input and internally wire it to power the Pi. If I can figure out a way to do the same with an NIC and network switch I'll be set.

Ultimately I want a NAS/Project server on the PC end, and a nested network switch and pi internally that I can SSH to. I have a KVM and HDMI switch so I can access video out directly. Ultimately I like the idea of putting a screen on the front with network status and Pi-Hole stats or something. I've never played with the 7" pi touch screen but it seems like it might be fun.

I don't have a ton of free time or infinite resources so this is a good project for a year or so. I'm sure I'll be dropping in with many questions.

dispatch.o on