As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] The Twin Torches - The Dead of Winter

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
edited February 2021 in Critical Failures
p9m3nauqfndq.jpeg
Four hundred years ago the first beacon was completed. Winter was pushed back and life bloomed once more. Only by the collective effort of all remaining peoples under the guiding hand of the Empress could such a feat be accomplished.

To celebrate the diversity of the Great Core, pairs of gladiators are forced together in a competition of physical prowess and cunning; The Twin Torches.

These gladiators will face such challenges as obstacle courses, trials of arcane trickery, reenactments of ancient events... But between you and I, the crowds are in it for the duels.
zf7bdelxygzu.jpeg

What is this?
A quick, light game of duels to the death.

I intend for it to be a Play by Post game played right here once recruitment is over. That’ll slow play down, but even so I estimate it’ll take no longer than two weeks to reach a conclusion.

I’ll randomly pair gladiators together, and for the rest of their short lives they’ll help each other take on the trials of the Twin Torches, leading to pivotal battles against other gladiators. Ideally a large roster of players would make things most interesting, but a minimum of four would do.

If you’ve never played D&D or any role playing game at all, I welcome you. There will be plenty of time between posts for you to ask me any questions via PM, or check up the rules, before you make your next post. Every post I make will have any fiddly rules and additions at the bottom in a spoiler box.

What can I be?
Every official race and class is allowed. If you have something unique in mind however, just run it by me first. I’m more interested in damage output than stopping you from being the hedgehog-man of your dreams.

Everyone must create their character at 1st level, and use the standard array to allocate their ability scores (that’s 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8).

7rdwc68hhii3.jpeg

What’s my motivation?
This doesn’t need to be your Oscar winning performance, but to get you into the groove:
1. The Great Core is about the size of, let’s say, Rome. There’s a big city at its heart, which slowly fades into harsh, barren wilderness out to an ever shrinking border. Beyond the border is an Ice Age with glaciers taller than mountains. You get to say where you’re from so long as you stick to that basic premise. Plenty of room to be an urchin, bastard, herdsman or brigand.
2. You’re not slaves, of course not, the Great Core is civilised! You also can’t, you know, say no to participating. Think about the hand life dealt you to get to this point.
3. The winners of the Twin Torches earn the favour of the Empress herself!

How do we roll dice in a post?
By using Geth, the friendly dice machine!

Just type what you’re up to like so:
Geth roll 1d20+3 for Insight Check
Geth roll 1d20-6 for Wisdom Saving Throw
Geth roll 2d8 for Damage
Geth roll 1d4+1d6+3 for Poisonous Bite

The results will turn up at the bottom of your post. Even if you edit your post, the results will remain as they were.

Sounds fun.
Hopefully! Every duel will be in an arena with many features to interact with (think pulling a lever to open a floodgate), and there will be quick games like races, puzzles and capture the flag to break them up.

Additional Ruling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAklYdKEuOU

Turbo Levelling
Forget experience points. In this game you gain a level every time you survive a trial!

xsxu7encevcf.jpeg

Helpful Stuff
Over here in the D&D thread you’ll see a bunch of links to online system references and stuff. Look it up here.

Insight Check:
1d20+3 17 [1d20=14]
Wisdom Saving Throw:
1d20-6 12 [1d20=18]
for Damage:
2d8 9 [2d8=6, 3]
Poisonous Bite:
1d4+1d6+3 11 [1d4=3] [1d6=5]

Endless_Serpents on

• Options
    edited January 2021
    A post for future notes.

mfan9mrtfwv6.jpeg

Feel free to post any initial questions here while you sign up.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    A tall blond man in loose fitting chainmail leans on a shield like it was a surfboard.

“Uhh. I’m Gwalchmei, but you can call me Gawain. Sometimes people call me the Green Knight but I don’t know why.” Gawain takes a toke of the hand rolled cigarette he is smoking. “I work, well I worked, in the greenhouses maybe that is why”.

“Anyway I don’t really like kicking butt but like, sometimes people aren’t chill and need to have things explained to them forcefully ya know?”

Paladin, Oath of Ancients

15,8,13,10,12,14. Chainmail, battleaxe, shield. Unsure on race at the moment but probably variant human or half elf. Gardener unique background which gives some feature I don’t care which (Athletics, nature, survival, persuasion, gardening tools). If I go variant human I am taking inspiring leader, chef, or heavy armor master

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Hell yeah, welcome aboard. It’ll be a day or so until we start I reckon, so not rush to hash it all out. Just PM it when you’re happy with it.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I'm in. I'll roll up a character and post it later.

• Options
    Good to have you, I look forward to it.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Actually, I had an idea sitting waiting for use, since my IRL main char didn't die this week like I thought they would.

Meet FE-26, a Warforged Artificer who has been recently re-activated after years of being dormant.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/AustinP0027/characters/43463278

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    download.jpg

Grung hops around.

• Options
    I’ll give it the rest of today, and then we’ll get started! Real interesting characters so far!

b6f4zjgjbjlm.jpeg
    h3vy3zkgohwp.jpeg

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Gonna finish putting together an Old-Man Tabaxi "Way-of-the-Astral-Self Monk" equipped with a flail, who's come to find a worthy death for his worldly vessel (and almost certainly will, rocking an AC 13 at the moment). Here's my character pitch:

Wild Candle is an aging Pilgrim without a purpose... his usual hermit lifestyle these last thirty years consisted of wandering the icy tundras at the edge of the Great Core, season in and season out. Catlike, he would assist struggling travellers for a bit and try to ingratiate himself with them: learn their stories (stories are gold to him), and then disappear in the night or next morning, because he's fickle, and bores incredibly easily. His only real treasure is the thick journal he keeps of all the stories he's heard over all these years...

His coloration is mostly white and some gray: part of a recent genetic development unique to some of the Tabaxi tribes as they adapted to survive this Ice Age. He left his tribe an eager and willing exile a young kit, nearly a lifetime ago now. He is currently sixty years old and nearing the very end of his lifespan...he believes his physical form will perish soon, and the Queen's challenge provides him the opportunity to shed this mortal coil with aplomb

• Options
    Unless something comes up the recruitment phase will finish tomorrow at 1000GMT, when I post the first trial and throw you all into it!

There’s no expected time for you guys to post, and you won’t get left behind. Just post when you can.

a3hlvr61ddj9.jpeg
    ficyg75cntck.jpeg
    2q0gqyg7itr2.jpeg

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Barlowe Relicbearer is a member of the Order of the Bronze Hood, a guild of dwarven archaeologists, diplomats, and individuals with other sundry skills who have been charged with securing the repatriation of dwarven artifacts lost to time. While the lost dwarven treasures include powerful magical items torn from the hands of fallen heroes, the vast majority are works of art and pieces of cultural heritage lost, stolen, or sold across the centuries. Some are held by terrible foes, but far more sit in private collections, foreign treasuries, upon the shelves of curio shoppes across the empire, or in lost ruins far beyond.

Barlowe has answered the challenge of the Twin Torches willingly, and hopes to claim victory, stand before the Empress, and request a boon: the return of an ancient scroll containing the recipe for a legendary dwarven ale regaled for generations before its theft.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    tg7w9r5xehtq.jpeg

The resounding knell of gongs battered by hulking ogres brings a momentary hush to the crowds, and soon excited whispers race across them. This year’s gladiators march out from the shadows, and great steel gates are rolled shut behind them. It’s too cold to snow today, but the sun is nevertheless bright above, a perfect pinprick of green... and many must be wondering, is that a good omen or ill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb7mTSlcCfQ&list=PLpas7-jjCh0Z7-t9yqhg3ibXTgeZhtH-G&index=10

A couple of you need to send me some basics like your character name and class, so I’ll make my first post once I get them.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    1st Trial

The Sacking of Saint Bouthor
    There stood a monastery upon a high crag. As the eternal winter crept in, decades slow at first, then all at once, the people sought the heat of the monastery’s humble forge. They tore down the gates and stormed Saint Bouthor, throwing the dwarves within out into the deadly cold.

Before you is a mockery of some ruins, and the glint of frosted iron chests. High above and all around, at least 120 feet from the dry, brittle earth, a crowd of peasantry and (far removed in covered balconies) noblemen. Maybe you’ve stepped into an arena before; this is different though—it’s massive, old, and hungry. You notice a few obvious traps in the form of metal grates over drops into cold, dark water. How exactly they’re set off is a mystery. There’s a tall, rusted lever up ahead, who can say what it activates? Still, you can do this.

Feet begin to shuffle, body heat fading into the icy air. Quick side-glances. Hands resting uneasily on hilts. You’re going to have to kill most of these people, but not in this opening act. There are more pressing concerns.
    The rules are as follows:
    This is a race from one side of the arena to the other.
    You are not here to kill each other, yet.
    In 3 rounds, something terrible will be let loose into the arena.
    The last gladiator left in the arena will be locked in.

54egbuy82tdt.jpeg

On each of your wrists is a manacle, roughly painted. Looking around, you see you’ve been paired up. That’s your partner for the tournament. You’re allies, you have to be, and you’ll need them to survive.
    The Gladiators

1. Wild Candle - Red Team ( @mrpaku )
    2. Barlowe Relicbearer - Red Team ( @fadingathedges )
    3. Grung - Blue Team ( @joshgotro )
    4. Gawain - Blue Team ( @Goumindong )
    5. FE-26 - Yellow Team ( @AustinP0027 )
    6. Astoria - Yellow Team (as played by me)
    7. T’hutt - Black Team (same)
    8. Mire - Black Team (same)

The drums begin... and the crowd goes wild!

Roll for Initiative!
    Geth roll 3d20 for NPC Initiatives

NPC Initiatives:
    3d20 38 [3d20=19, 7, 12]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Arena Details

The weather is clear and cold. There’s no wind. It’s about midday. The roar of the crowd is deafening after your time preparing in the gloomy training grounds below the arena.
    Any questions, now’s the time. Then run.

Clarification
    The single manacle on your wrist has a couple chains hanging off it, but it’s not connected to anything else. It’s just a bracelet to indicate what team you’re on.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Other less interesting gladiators...

Astoria
    u8hvd0e8mqza.jpeg
    Aasimar Warlock
    - Rumours says she’s a murderer.
    - Has been caught talking to her reflection.
    - Of Noble birth.

T’hutt
    4szuxwikjn47.jpeg
    Orc Fighter
    - Doesn’t speak the language.
    - Rumour says they’re a cannibal.
    - Orcs are basically animals, as you know.

Mire
    iiob4he9h1vh.jpeg
    Hobgoblin Paladin
    - Worships some wilderness demon.
    - Claims to be a chieftain, as if it matters.
    - Willing to share food.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Geth roll 1d20+3 INTIATIVE

INTIATIVE:
    1d20+3 10 [1d20=7]

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Kicking it off

Kicking it:
    1d20+2 20 [1d20=18]

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Geth, roll 1d20 for like, going first or something.

Gawain looks down at the chain on his hand. “Looks like we’re in this together dude. How about we get some leverage and climb those ruins?” As he makes his way to the northern ruin wall.

like, going first or something:
    1d20 15 [1d20=15]

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Barlowe glares icily at the ruin, a monument to the murder of his ancestors, and at the red bangle clanking on his wrist.

His eyes lock with the Tabaxi's. A slight nod.

Geth, roll 1d20+1d4+7 for History
    Assuming I have a few moments between arrival and , I want to cast Bless on Wild Candle and myself, then Guidance my History check. I'm looking for anything useful to our situation - potential shortcuts, traps, etc (which I'll quietly share with my partner).

Relevant bits for my history check:
    Stonecunning. Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus.

Historical Knowledge. When you enter a ruin or dungeon, you can correctly ascertain its original purpose and determine its builders, whether those were dwarves, elves, humans, yuan-ti, or some other known race. In addition, you can determine the monetary value of art objects more than a century old.

Geth, roll 1d20 for Initiative!

Questions:
    1. We're paired up - is success when someone on your team makes it, or when both of your team make it?
    2. Is diagonal measurement 5', or something else?

History:
    1d20+1d4+7 16 [1d20=8] [1d4=1]
    Initiative!:
    1d20 20 [1d20=20]

• Options
    Wild Candle waits a few akward moments...then slowly returns the Dwarf's gesture. The ancient Tabaxi, his face wrinkled and fur matted, subconsciously toys with the chain at his wrist, clearly uncomfortable being bound

Geth roll 1d20+3 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20+3 18 [1d20=15]

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Turn Order
    1st — Barlowe (20*)
    2nd — FE-26 (20)
    3rd — Astoria (19)
    4th — Wild Candle (18)
    5th — Gawain (15)
    6th — Mire (12)
    7th — Grung (10)
    8th — T’hutt (7)

Due to that outstanding first roll, Barlowe may cast Bless and make a History check without using up a turn. Barlowe, it’s your turn, you’re acting first, so what will you do?

Barlowe’s eyes only:
    The ruins were ripped up from the foundations very recently. You can see bits dropping off right now. They’d be hazardous to climb, but certainly doable if you wish. They’re dwarf crafted, but hardly masterwork.

There are runes carved into them at your head height. They mostly detail old tales of religious significance. Nothing about curses or undead. Nothing that tells you there would be magic at work.

Scattered all around are iron chests, but these have no special origin. You can’t rule it out, but they don’t look trapped at a glance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6E1dCgFPGUc&list=PLKzg0DeoAjD_vDe9OcnBno9fIUHjAWh_O&index=12

Clarifications:
    When either member of a team makes it, that team has succeeded. They’ll earn the fleeting adoration of the crowd, and perhaps a boon of some sort, if they’re lucky.

That said, the other member of the team still needs to escape simply because they don’t want to be the last gladiator in the arena.

Diagonal is 5’ because math is hard.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Not sure why that displayed like that - maybe G.eth doesn't like rolls being nested between spoilers?

Also - if I have another round, I will use Wards & Seals to cast Mage Armor on Wild Candle.

• Options
    Like his namesake, the old monk positively glows.

• Options
    Barlowe quickly realizes he is the slowest afoot among all of the competitors. No matter, nothing new. He'll find other advantages. Barlowe charges up the hill towards the nearest iron chest.
    It looks like I need to use 5 of my movement to move up the hill and stop adjacent to the chest (SE, SE, E), then use my free item interaction to attempt to open it. Not sure if I can get the goods in the same swipe.

Does going downhill on the other side also count as difficult terrain? I will probably Dash to move as far East as I can from here, but if the box contains something useful immediately I might use it instead.

• Options
    Barlowe
    You set off and immediately hit the steep hill, clawing up with one hand until you reach the top.

The chest is coated in ice; you boot it off with a few tries. You heft the heavy chest open. Inside you see an ivory wand half covered by copper coins embossed with patterns of poison ivy. The stuff of elves, you wager.

That’s the end of your turn.

Going down the hill at the start of your next turn counts as difficult terrain too, unless you’d rather attempt an Athletics check to skilfully slide down into a run. On a success, it isn’t difficult terrain, and you gain +5 feet of movement. On a failure, you tumble away.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    FE-26 surveys the crowd and the arena, noting that his goal lie at the end, and it was important that he achieve this goal along with his partner. The dwarf on the far end moved first, dashing up to the chest and throwing it open. The Warforged calculated pausing at this moment as a risk, and so he would avoid it, pushing himself as far forward as he could. His assigned partner would need to hold their own at the moment, movement was difficult and FE-26 didn't need to provide assistance in this action. Metal legs churning into action, he charges straight ahead.
    I'm just Dashing in a straight line. 60 feet of movement, so as far as that will take me given the difficult terrain.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    FE-26
    You head up and over the hill, then descend at a shocking rate. You don’t end up as far as you’d like, but you manage to land it well enough. Accessing the rest of the arena you’re certain you can make it out of here in a matter of seconds.

If you continue dashing, you’ll end up 5 feet from the exit next turn.

Astoria
    The slim figure in finery jogs lightly around the hill.

“Servitor! Golem! I say, you’ll await me!”, she shrieks.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Gawain sees Grung giving him the universal signal for "toss me" and does so, giving him as large a push as he can towards the chest in the middle of the sloped arena "Fly my froggy friend dude!" then heads north around the difficult terrain with his full movement. He draws a handaxe and does a little skip before (the next turn happens)

{Action} Throw/Push Grung towards closest chest. This should be 5 ft plus any athletics as per DM's discretion, (i can move in front of him to maybe make it easier if possible/give me some momentum)

{Movement} Move north 5, east 4 around the terrain(should be 6 total move)
    {Item interaction as part of movement} Draw handaxe

{Status} One hand: hand axe second hand: empty

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Athletics to throw a Frog

Athletics to throw a Frog:
    1d20+5 9 [1d20=4]

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    If FE-26 moves in a straight line east, it will be past Barlowe. He will take an opportunity attack to attempt to trip him, if that's possible? I don't care about damage.

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for hilarity!

hilarity!:
    1d20+2 15 [1d20=13]

• Options
    edited January 2021
    FE-26
    Your attempt to thrust an arm out as you run over the hill connects, but does little.

Barlowe takes 1 damage as his head hits the top of the iron chest.

Barlowe
    bonk

Gawain
    You swing Grung around and at the steep hill. The momentum spins you around, but you stay on your feet, just. Grung lands heavily on their hands and begin to slide back. It’s on them to start scrambling against gravity now.

Next you set off around the hill, smoothly drawing your hand axe as you go.

Mire
    Mire marches south and across to an iron chest. The metal grating creaks beneath his boots.

“Let’s have a look then...”, he sighs.

He cracks open the chest.

“It’ll do.”

savuxtdzqzbo.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Fast as lightning, Wild Candle is on the move...

Grung must get their bearing quickly...

T’hutt grunts.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    The cat growls with satisfaction as the Mage Armor *shimmers* around him, turning his arm over briefly to examine the glow. The feline lowers his head forward, places his arms behind his back…and then he suddenly explodes forward, lithely barreling past the other competitors at a predator’s top speed. The ancient cat moves like a white blur: his feet barely even touch the ground, as he runs in a circle around the hill in front of him, arriving quickly at a ruined structure. His speed barely halted by the vertical obstacle, the cat extends razor sharp claws at the very second it springs towards the wall, climbing up the ancient brick nearly as fast as he could sprint. Vaulting up onto the wall and hitting the top running, the Tabaxi dashes gracefully the length of the structure, rolling with practiced ease off the other side, and sliding down the East face of the ruins with his claws extended…
    Wild Candle is going to DASH to extend his movement from 30 ft. to 60 ft, then he’ll use his FELINE AGILITY ability to double that from 60 ft. to 120 ft. He will then run monk-style, running around the hill and towards the Ruins between the two-grated pools (E, NE, NE, E, E, SE, SE, SE, SE, E, E), climb the 30 feet of Ruins (4 additional spaces of movement vertical), run East along the wall of the Ruins (6 more spaces East), and roll over the side of the wall, climbing down the Ruins (3 more spaces vertical, stopping five feet from the ground)

Geth roll 1d20+5 Acrobatics Check for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    nvm

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Grung slams his appendages onto the ground.

Grung has a Climb speed of 25, if this stops the slide, Grung uses Standing Leap to long jump 25 feet straight forward then walks to the lever and pulls with all his strength.

Geth roll 1d20+1 Flipping the switch.

@Endless_Serpents

Flipping the switch.:
    1d20+1 7 [1d20=6]

• Options
    edited January 2021
    If it's too late, that's cool - but:
    Geth, roll 1d4 because I'm #Blessed.

edit: still a miss - not that blessed. :biggrin:

I'm #Blessed:
    1d4 1 [1d4=1]

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Wild Candle
    The crowd’s admiration builds like a crashing wave as you pick your way along the ruin with all the deftness of a jaguar chasing down prey.

Part of the ruin collapses behind you, but you’re far too quick to notice until you feel the thunderous boom as it crashes into the water beneath it, pulling in a few grates as it went.

Grung
    Absolutely does.

You bend your legs, easily gaining your footing, then bound off as a white blur passes beneath you.

You struggle to budge the lever, but it shifts slightly. You know what it does now as you hear grates shift beneath a fellow gladiator’s feet. The grates are partially turned up. Mire is flipped onto his back; he is now prone.

“In Zephyr’s name! You laggard!”, he bellows.

He’ll struggle to get up and off the grated area, slowing him down considerably. A little more strength and he would have been in the drink.

T’hutt
    Perhaps no one translated the purpose of this trial. The fighter stomps up the hill.

4wlrpyfxaftm.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Round 2

Barlowe, what’s your plan now?

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Clutching the newfound treasure but uncertain if spending the time to inspect it is worthwhile, Barlowe charges down the hill, immediately falling ass over teakettle and rolling to the bottom. He hauls himself to his feet and continues east.
    So, first: fall, roll down, then: Dash, get up from prone using 2 movement (half, rounded down), and move SE, E, E with my remaining 3 movement.

HP: 9/10 unless I took some in the fall.

ps - so slick 8-)

Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20-1 3 [1d20=4]

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    @fadingathedges Just a slight edit on that...

Barlowe
    Following the curve of the hill, you trip and wheel down! Your stout form is propelled at FE-26, and you crash into them. He shoulder barges the crumbling ruin wall, dislodging a chunk of masonry.

FE-26 takes 2 damage. FE-26 and Barlowe are both prone!

A pair of large rocks now rest by FE-26’s side. They can be picked up without trouble, they’re pretty mundane, but have cool runes carved into them.

0oadl8b1p2v5.jpeg

Geth roll 1d6 rocks fall

rocks fall:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    FE-26 quickly assessing his surroundings. The Dwarf attempted to trip him, and has now crashed into him. The Warforged stands, saying nothing to the Dwarf, but internally noting their appearance for the future. The determined goals were escape, but it appears at least one of the others wants to sabotage him as well. Metal legs move again, pushing to gain distance from the pack.

A quick shift in direction, however, as a new plan formulates. He moves towards the lever device, intent on keeping the rest of the pack from easily catching him as the Dwarf has attempted to do twice now.
    Stand up, then 15 ft move forward.
    Dash for another 30 should put me directly south of the Lever space (with diagonal moves).
    Free action (I think) to pull lever.