As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Conditional

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Conditional

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Shadowed_Hand Shadowed_Hand Registered User regular
    I got mine from the "Legal" Scalpers...otherwise known as Fingerhut. Took a month after I ordered due to inventory issues, but I only ended up paying on the low end of what most of the EBay scalpers were charging, and with access to several of the PS4 games I haven't had in years plus my current games I didn't feel cheated.

I think they delayed me when on a review I put the tagline "Fingerhut- When that guy on the corner won't even open his trunk when you walk by"

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I got mine from the "Legal" Scalpers...otherwise known as Fingerhut. Took a month after I ordered due to inventory issues, but I only ended up paying on the low end of what most of the EBay scalpers were charging, and with access to several of the PS4 games I haven't had in years plus my current games I didn't feel cheated.

I think they delayed me when on a review I put the tagline "Fingerhut- When that guy on the corner won't even open his trunk when you walk by"

Today I learned that Fingerhut transitioned from mail order catalog to online retailer starting 25 years ago.

• Options
    BillieVeeBillieVee Registered User regular
    Just tell yourself it was stolen from a guy who was trying to scalp it.

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Just want to say that the three thumbnails of the comics on the main page, kind of make their own odd artsy comic. Maybe it is just the fact that Gabe and Tycho are in the same pose and framing.

Also I would never pay for than retail for a console.(Which is why I don't have one)

GDT1985 on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    BillieVee wrote: »
    Just tell yourself it was stolen from a guy who was trying to scalp it.

It does seem like with the distribution of consoles as it is, this is the most likely scenario.

• Options
    KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    I like how its already hooked up while they are still arguing about where it came from :D

• Options
    MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    Why is everyone so desperate for them anyway? It's not like there are that many next-gen console exclusives yet.

• Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    MaryAmelia wrote: »
    Why is everyone so desperate for them anyway? It's not like there are that many next-gen console exclusives yet.

Human psychology. The rarer something is, the more valuable it "must" be.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It impacts me. I KNOW I don't even need a PS5 for any reason. But the fact that I can't currently get one really makes me want one!

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

We've been stuck inside for a year and we're bored as fuck and we want some new toys dambit

• Options
    TrueLinkTrueLink Registered User regular
    Seeing people continue to struggle for PS5s two months in makes me feel bad about buying five of them at launch. I didn't scalp them; they went to friends and family at MSRP. But I still somehow feel guilty about it.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    TrueLink wrote: »
    Seeing people continue to struggle for PS5s two months in makes me feel bad about buying five of them at launch. I didn't scalp them; they went to friends and family at MSRP. But I still somehow feel guilty about it.

Those other four would have went to scalpers. You actually made the problem less bad.

dennis on
  • Options
    PropellorheadPropellorhead Registered User new member
    After seeing that pic of him with the SMS all I want to know is if the PS5 has a hidden snail maze game.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I tried and tried for months, showing up to every retailer online storefront I could, never getting very far into the purchase process due to lag, site crashes, and bots. After months of persistence I finally beat the machines and got one off of the Walmart website. It was worth it. I paid MSRP and now I have a PS5, even if it was roughly 2 months after the release of the console.

• Options
    ZenigataZenigata Registered User regular
    I only picked up a PS4 Pro when B&H or whoever had a really good deal on it (I think in 2018) that included a bunch of extra games and was cheaper than the regular price. I'll probably pick up a PS5 some day, but I'll wait a few years until it's cheaper. It's funny to me how much people want first iteration hardware, it's almost always the worst version and the later revisions improve on issues found on the first ones.

It is annoying that video cards are in the same boat though, and they're priced far higher yet still face the same issue. I'm not paying scalper prices, ever. I am glad I bought a GTX 1080 years ago and didn't go with a 1070 or 1060, or else I'm sure I'd be clamoring more for a new GPU. I remember even getting my 1080 years ago there was a shortage and people were reselling around $1k.

• Options
    Zenigata wrote: »
    It is annoying that video cards are in the same boat though, and they're priced far higher yet still face the same issue. I'm not paying scalper prices, ever. I am glad I bought a GTX 1080 years ago and didn't go with a 1070 or 1060, or else I'm sure I'd be clamoring more for a new GPU. I remember even getting my 1080 years ago there was a shortage and people were reselling around $1k.

I managed to get a 3060 Ti, but only because it was part of an built system that work bought (I do VR programming). I had a headache-inducing argument with a Free Market Is Always Right coworker about all this modern bot-driven scalping. Even if I granted him the argument that manufacturers should have priced their video cards higher, it doesn't make as much sense for things like the Quest 2 or PS5. Those are subsidized on purpose to get a longer-tail profit from the games (or harvesting your soul, in the case of the Quest).

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular

I'm not sure why the desperation, but as someone who did manage to get one (paying only the slight markup of a Gamestop bundle with a shitty game attached) it is genuinely a delightful console. Demon's Souls Remastered and Astro's Playroom are both wonderful, and many games have upgrade patches that genuinely show off the power of the new console. And even for games that don't have a PS5 upgrade patch, they still play much better with the PS5's more powerful CPU, GPU, and SSD reducing pop in and frame rate drops. Especially as someone who was using a base model PS4, it's a significant bump in power.

Really hate that the scalpers fucked over people at launch, it's a wonderful console that deserves to be experienced by people who will enjoy it.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Look...Sometimes, you have someone tell you they have 1000 square feet of hardwood flooring, they'll let you have it for 800 bucks, but you got to pick it up today in the Walmart parking lot. Cash only.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I'd been rolling with a launch PS4 since it came out, and I wanted to take advantage of my shiny new 4k TV and play with the new controller

Also the backwards compatibility has meant that I still have a large library to play, only with super fast loading, so it was a better decision than buying the PS4 at launch; I could offload my PS4 to a friend, who has paid me back by buying my first few next-gen games

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Look...Sometimes, you have someone tell you they have 1000 square feet of hardwood flooring, they'll let you have it for 800 bucks, but you got to pick it up today in the Walmart parking lot. Cash only.

All I'm saying is that when properly buried, wooden coffins hold up pretty well.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

All I'm saying is that when properly buried, wooden coffins hold up pretty well.

You want coffins? I got coffins. I’m cutting me own throat here. Half price.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    I'll wait til the slim variant barring bc is removed.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

You want coffins? I got coffins. I’m cutting me own throat here. Half price.

w88w5fctz69b.jpg

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Did you at least make a smug video bragging about how you had 5 PS5s? I'd think it would have been a waste not to.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    jothki wrote: »

Did you at least make a smug video bragging about how you had 5 PS5s? I'd think it would have been a waste not to.

I don't know if that's wise; that's kidnapping level money.

dennis on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

You know that's a reference right?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifAm3Vp0JnU

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

You know that's a reference right?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifAm3Vp0JnU

I actually didn't realize that there were sequels to the PS3 one.