As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Returns in 2021 - June 3-6, 2021 (East CANCELED - PAX Online eta July 15-18)

CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
edited March 2021 in PAX East
The announcement can be found here: https://east.paxsite.com/news/article/pax-2021-updates

What does everyone think? Aside from the obvious benefits (No snow! No winter coat check! Lawn on D activities! Seaport not freezing my fingers off!) there are some huge open questions, especially whether attendees and exhibitors feel safe.

On the one hand, there are some indications that June may be a time of low transmission rates that may allow for a safe re-opening:
  • The true number of infected people in the US may have already been closer to 52 million by the beginning of October, per a recent CDC report. While this is far lower than what is needed to reach meaningful immunity in the population, it could help drive down spread over time.
  • A vaccine is in the process of rolling out, though how many people will have access to it (let alone take it) is an unknown at this time. It will also likely take weeks to fully train your immune system.
  • Mandated usage of masks in indoor spaces has been shown to be highly effective at curbing spread.
  • Other policy precautions could be taken (no attendee demos, wipe down all surfaces every XX minutes, no cash transactions, plexiglass dividers for vendors, etc.) that could mitigate risk.
  • The BCEC has a massive space and airflow (plus any upgrades they may do to the ventilation system) could mitigate risk.

On the other hand, this is a global pandemic that's affecting the entire world and the US has been dealing with it very, very poorly. Who knows what 2021 will bring, and while I'm optimistic there's a massive amount of uncertainty.

My assumption is that Boston and the MCCA gave Reed several backup dates they can drop back to, likely in July or August, and they'll be having discussions each month about whether they should push from June. I wouldn't be surprised if, as a result of vaccine hiccups and/or exhibitor wariness, we end up pushing to July. The other convention I'm aware of, FanEXPO Boston, is scheduled for August 6-8 in 2021.

Thoughts?

e2TtnRd.png
zerzhul on

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    I'm not holding on to much hope for East if I'm being honest. I don't have that much faith at all in the US to handle anything that quickly. Unplugged feels like it *might* work out but East is just going to be too soon to pull off.

• Options
    MorikoMoriko Registered User regular
    I did PAX East this year and alot of precautions were done and if we add mandatory masks and such I'm sure we can pull it off as long as we all follow the rules. And ppl who flaunt them can/should be ejected.

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
  • Options
    XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    It's not impossible if we meet the more optimistic vaccination schedules, but I'm not holding my breath.

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Moriko wrote: »
    I did PAX East this year and alot of precautions were done and if we add mandatory masks and such I'm sure we can pull it off as long as we all follow the rules. And ppl who flaunt them can/should be ejected.
    we had double digit cases then, we now have several orders of magnitude more now. Masks aren’t perfect, especially in a crowded expo hall where you are smushed with other people and masks can easily get misaligned.

Hopefully vaccinations hit a critical mass by then.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    Agreed, if there are enough vaccines out by then, and there should be, then I'm 100% on board.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    DaNickaDaNicka Studly Nurd Peoples Republic Of Massachusetts, DunstableRegistered User regular
    What is the point of even having a con this year with COVID and now it's UK variant being in MA. People barely did proper hygiene at the last couple of PAX East's. What company or vendor will actually show up? It would be an expensive day of entrance to a con that would feel like an overpriced flea market with one or two vendors.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The aim is have vaccination at an acceptable level by June, permitting a convention. It’s hoping for the best, but planning for the worst.

Better to cautiously plan a con and cancel it as opposed to having no con and whoops things are better by then.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MorikoMoriko Registered User regular
    So what's goin on for Enforcers? Been tryin to reapply since Oct

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Moriko wrote: »
    So what's goin on for Enforcers? Been tryin to reapply since Oct
    If you have been an enforcer before, I believe that info should come via the internal enforcer communications platforms.

If you haven't, I would keep your eyes on the pax east website, and the official pax twitter. That's generally where enforcer applications will be posted.

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Yeh, but I got an email from Reedpop (think thats the name) asking about how I would feel going to a large convention, spacing, etc. Don't loose hope yet.

• Options
    RazrswordRazrsword Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Yeh, but I got an email from Reedpop (think thats the name) asking about how I would feel going to a large convention, spacing, etc. Don't loose hope yet.

What questions did it ask?

Convention centers can reopen the 22nd of March at a lower capacity so with a bit of prodding by April or May they'll be able to boost it to a good %. If it wasn't for the survey and that press release, I'd have called it but now it's possible.
    Marino wrote: »
    E3 and everything at the LA Convention Center through August has been either cancelled or postponed.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/e3-2021-as-live-event-cancelled-going-forward-as-digital-working-on-broadcast-options-at-la-live-lacc.385877/

LA/Cali in general has been very conservative on reopening, see Disneyland still being closed as a park but open for dining and shopping. I think it will definitely be more possible depending on the region.

Razrsword on
    pSX3QHI.png
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    It wont let me go back to see the questions, but this was the beginning of the email: "You have been selected as part of a small group of fans to share your thoughts on returning to live events and how you’ve spent your time without them. The survey is only 7 questions and should take you less than 2 minutes to complete."

• Options
    Comic Con is also now cancelled. Was going to be in July.

• Options
    SDCC was my barometer. As much as I'd love to return to PAX East, I'm okay waiting one more year for it to be safer.

Pins? Pins!
  • Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    If they're still having it in June, I'd still like to go. I have stayed really locked down and played things very safe. And with the expected state of vaccines in 3 months from now--even with it going slowly--I would feel safe about going with what we know at the moment. That could change though.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    Let's be honest. We lucked out with PAX East 2020, in so many ways. Ignoring that the Reed Conference in Boston- which took place at the same time- has been identified as one of the epicenters of bringing Covid to the US, our departure from the convention mere days before the outbreak was identified as a pandemic is akin to the visual of Air Force One fleeing a wall of fire in Independence Day.

I've been to every East since inception, but I am ok with this becoming virtual for 2021. If it does, I don't think it's a Boston issue or a vaccine issue. I think it's the vendors. People weren't afraid of saying how "PAX wasn't the same without Sony" (ignoring that Sony has only attended four of the 11 years, but details). How un-PAX is it going to feel if 70-75% of the exhibitors say "Nah, we're good"? This is also ignoring the outlying fact that a lot of games in development now are not in working condition due to delays. So even if Nintendo or Microsoft shows up, what are they going to offer us without people feeling disappointed that they weren't smothered in AAA holiday demos (which, again, is not common).

I want this as much as the next person, but Boston can barely make up its mind right now how many restaurants it wants to open (source: living in New England). If PAX happens, it's going to require ALOT to go its way. And if it does, it'll feel like a shell of the real deal.

Personally, I'd cancel. Put all your resources into PAX East 2022 and just kick the door down with a hell of a show.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Official PAX Twitter appears to be teasing a badge sale. Honestly, I'm still hoping they cancel East and make West the actual return. Timing aside, East actually happened last year and West didn't, so I think we should let the original PAX have this one. Besides, if all goes well, the East Coast still gets Unplugged in December.

Xenigma on
    Pins? Pins!
  • Options
    RazrswordRazrsword Registered User regular
    Xenigma wrote: »
    Official PAX Twitter appears to be teasing a badge sale. Honestly, I'm still hoping they cancel East and make West the actual return. Timing aside, East actually happened last year and West didn't, so I think we should let the original PAX have this one. Besides, if all goes well, the East Coast still gets Unplugged in December.

I'm hopeful that they still have East in some form of reduced capacity. It seems fitting that the last event to take place is the first one to return.

pSX3QHI.png
  • Options
    TBird15TBird15 Registered User new member
    MephistoN7 wrote: »
    Let's be honest. We lucked out with PAX East 2020, in so many ways. Ignoring that the Reed Conference in Boston- which took place at the same time- has been identified as one of the epicenters of bringing Covid to the US, our departure from the convention mere days before the outbreak was identified as a pandemic is akin to the visual of Air Force One fleeing a wall of fire in Independence Day.

That was pretty much my take as well. The thing was, at the time, you couldn't BUY a test. So sure, we knew "a few people" had it and that it was spreading at some indeterminate rate. But it was not "a few people", it was much more likely that it was a few 1000 people had it locally... just that NO ONE KNEW, because the only "test" was grandpa showing up at an ICU four weeks later.

• Options
  • Options
    RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    Not too surprised honestly...hopefully West and Unplugged will happen

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • Options
    TBird15TBird15 Registered User new member
    Looks like the pace of vaccinations is going to just barely fall short of what would be needed by about six or seven weeks to realistically pull it off.

Next year!

• Options
  • Options
    I've made a thread for this in the PAX Online section here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240194/pax-online-july-15-18-2021

This discussion has been closed.