As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] let's just stay here for a moment

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i get that they had to show her suffering and many attempts. But I feel like half the episode Was naomi just gasping. Kinda felt like a wasted episode when there's only a couple more in the season and only 1 season left.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    i get that they had to show her suffering and many attempts. But I feel like half the episode Was naomi just gasping. Kinda felt like a wasted episode when there's only a couple more in the season and only 1 season left.

I feel like it's in some middle ground where I would expect her to be more truly incapacitated at first and less gasp-y once recovered.

The Naomi and Marco things also feel like they have taken up all the time and they are interminably boring to me. Her nuclear family drama is the least interesting thing happening during this season but taking up the majority of the time.

Also, from a pedantic perspective:
    1. They should have probably spent more time with Naomi's debilitating recovery. She'd likely be suffering from temporary blindness, ridiculous stiffness due to extreme sunburn/radiation burns, and may have internal bleeding in the lungs and elsewhere. The signs of dehydration are fitting though; all the moisture in her mouth, nose and eyes would have boiled off.

I'm not a doctor, but I do doubt the functionality of "hyper-oxygenated" blood while still in vacuum. I'm pretty sure that'd be a recipe for instant decompression sickness. That oxygen is going to basically bubble out of solution immediately.

2. I'm unclear why Naomi had so much trouble lifting a grate. The show implies her ship is moving by giving her gravity, but it's certainly not at 1 g (which would likely be suspicious to an approaching Rocinate if a gravity-intolerant belter on board). Transports seem go at 0.1 to 0.3 g, so even at 100 kg of mass that is only 30 kg of weight. You bring a pulley into it and it should be a piece of cake.

But I also don't know why your floor grates would be unsecured in the first place, that sounds like a recipe for getting people crushed during unintentional deceleration.

3. The zero-gee water on Drummer's ship seemed fitting (since they're stationary next to a wreck). But her bottle of alcohol didn't seem to make any sense. All the fluid was brought to the neck end of the bottle. That's fine while she's sucking it out of the bottle. But that doesn't make much sense when she's laying there with the bottle.

Either air rushes in and pushes the liquid back down to the bottom (and then it tries to form a ball, gets caught on the sides of the bottle by capillary action and sort of sticks as globules inside from surface tension), or she caps it and then it sloshes around inside (and then tries to form a ball, surface tension, etc., etc.).

I feel like the last few episodes had very little happening so my brain started trying to work through the mechanics of things.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

I feel like it's in some middle ground where I would expect her to be more truly incapacitated at first and less gasp-y once recovered.

The Naomi and Marco things also feel like they have taken up all the time and they are interminably boring to me. Her nuclear family drama is the least interesting thing happening during this season but taking up the majority of the time.

1. They should have probably spent more time with Naomi's debilitating recovery. She'd likely be suffering from temporary blindness, ridiculous stiffness due to extreme sunburn/radiation burns, and may have internal bleeding in the lungs and elsewhere. The signs of dehydration are fitting though; all the moisture in her mouth, nose and eyes would have boiled off.

I'm not a doctor, but I do doubt the functionality of "hyper-oxygenated" blood while still in vacuum. I'm pretty sure that'd be a recipe for instant decompression sickness. That oxygen is going to basically bubble out of solution immediately.

2. I'm unclear why Naomi had so much trouble lifting a grate. The show implies her ship is moving by giving her gravity, but it's certainly not at 1 g (which would likely be suspicious to an approaching Rocinate if a gravity-intolerant belter on board). Transports seem go at 0.1 to 0.3 g, so even at 100 kg of mass that is only 30 kg of weight. You bring a pulley into it and it should be a piece of cake.

But I also don't know why your floor grates would be unsecured in the first place, that sounds like a recipe for getting people crushed during unintentional deceleration.

3. The zero-gee water on Drummer's ship seemed fitting (since they're stationary next to a wreck). But her bottle of alcohol didn't seem to make any sense. All the fluid was brought to the neck end of the bottle. That's fine while she's sucking it out of the bottle. But that doesn't make much sense when she's laying there with the bottle.

Either air rushes in and pushes the liquid back down to the bottom (and then it tries to form a ball, gets caught on the sides of the bottle by capillary action and sort of sticks as globules inside from surface tension), or she caps it and then it sloshes around inside (and then tries to form a ball, surface tension, etc., etc.).

I feel like the last few episodes had very little happening so my brain started trying to work through the mechanics of things.
    On 1) Yeah. But they're already pressed for time. I kind of wish she'd had some sort of auto-doc kit to plug into for a day to hand-wave most of it away. I don't know exactly how hyper-oxygenated blood would work but I don't think the oxygen would immediately leave suspension. It would have to actually be exposed to vacuum for that to happen, which would only occur in the lungs. So long as it's in her veins (though I'm not sure how it gets there given she just jammed it into her thigh) it should be able to eventually make it to her brain mostly intact.

2) My assumption was that she was extremely weak from the vacuum exposure and basically her entire body is bruised, so extertion of any kind is just straight-up painful. I also assumed the grate has some sort of catch she released before trying to lift it.

3) The show has had a problem with depicting drinking in low- and zero-G the whole time. The books describe all liquids off-planet as being served in 'bulbs', which I gather are something like a plastic pouch with a nipple or sippee-cup-style thing on the end. You either suck the liquid out or squeeze the bulb to squirt it into your mouth. I don't think I've ever seen one on the show and people are all the time drinking out of mugs and glasses and shit, which make no sense aboard ships that sometimes have no gravity.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

On 1) Yeah. But they're already pressed for time. I kind of wish she'd had some sort of auto-doc kit to plug into for a day to hand-wave most of it away. I don't know exactly how hyper-oxygenated blood would work but I don't think the oxygen would immediately leave suspension. It would have to actually be exposed to vacuum for that to happen, which would only occur in the lungs. So long as it's in her veins (though I'm not sure how it gets there given she just jammed it into her thigh) it should be able to eventually make it to her brain mostly intact.

2) My assumption was that she was extremely weak from the vacuum exposure and basically her entire body is bruised, so extertion of any kind is just straight-up painful. I also assumed the grate has some sort of catch she released before trying to lift it.

3) The show has had a problem with depicting drinking in low- and zero-G the whole time. The books describe all liquids off-planet as being served in 'bulbs', which I gather are something like a plastic pouch with a nipple or sippee-cup-style thing on the end. You either suck the liquid out or squeeze the bulb to squirt it into your mouth. I don't think I've ever seen one on the show and people are all the time drinking out of mugs and glasses and shit, which make no sense aboard ships that sometimes have no gravity.
    Re 2), I think the joints in her hands were still also swollen from vacuum. She looked like her hands were in a lot of pain every time she pulled on the tether.

edit:
    Re 1), According to ~le google~, it's nitrogen coming out of solution that gives you decompression sickness, not oxygen. I am not a vacuum exposure professional, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021

Technical bit
    Oxygen bonds to hemoglobin, so it's not in solution a good part of the time. This would be some analog which doesn't turn red when oxygenated.

If that helps with your suspension of disbelief.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Re 2), I think the joints in her hands were still also swollen from vacuum. She looked like her hands were in a lot of pain every time she pulled on the tether.

edit:
    Re 1), According to ~le google~, it's nitrogen coming out of solution that gives you decompression sickness, not oxygen. I am not a vacuum exposure professional, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

I enjoy this spoiler-y tree that only sort of has spoilers.
    I rescind the hyper-oxygenated blood complaint. It's probably fine. I wasn't aware of the actual bonding of oxygen to the hemoglobin molecule as @redx mentions. I've also learned that hemoglobin can bind to CO2 (so that would help not exploding lungs, since the added oxygen wouldn't have to be expelled as CO2 dissolved in the blood).

But I'll note decompression sickness can be caused by any gas. Nitrogen is the most likely because it's relatively unreactive and present in normal breathable atmosphere on earth. Helium is the other common one on earth because it's used for compressed air in deep diving. Hydrogen and CO2 are also common candidate gases.

I have to assume the ships in the Expanse do have an abundance of nitrogen in the atmosphere. The info box Naomi looks at has the ship's pressure as 1 atm (101 kPa/15 psi). You would not want that as pure oxygen (aside from flammability, you'd have oxygen toxicity problems over Expanse-length journeys). You're probably looking at 20/80 oxygen/nitrogen mix. You probably wouldn't want to mix with expensive gases like helium, neon, or argon, or potentially explosive gases like hydrogen. But I don't think there's as much issue with nitrogen bubble formation going from 1 to 0 atm. And the hyper-oxygenated blood would probably be purposefully devoid of nitrogen.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I highly object to the use of an anarchy symbol behind Inaros' rant. He's a hyper nationalist, not an anarchist.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I highly object to the use of an anarchy symbol behind Inaros' rant. He's a hyper nationalist, not an anarchist.

Marco is an anarchist the same way the Nazis were socialist. The label was useful for him, so he stole it, but he's not even slightly.

Hell going by his conversations with Philip he's the next best thing to a monarchist.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

Marco is an anarchist the same way the Nazis were socialist. The label was useful for him, so he stole it, but he's not even slightly.

Hell going by his conversations with Philip he's the next best thing to a monarchist.

The show has never gone into real life political terms or symbology before this, and nothing Inaros has said indicates anything about using "anarchy" as a screen for legitimacy. He's been explicit in the idea that belters are separate and different from inners, and that everything out there belongs to them. Nothing about any of that is anarchist.

It felt like they just slapped that symbol in there because they think it's a bad symbol for baddies.

Aistan on
  • Options
    obolon84obolon84 Good news, everyone! I just blue myself.Registered User regular
    The symbol is from the flag for the OPA. But I think they did take a lot of inspiration from the anarchy symbol for the show.

bJnuewi.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That's the old school OPA "split circle" symbol. He's using it to contrast with the newer, "reformed" OPA Navy symbol introduced by the Dawes faction via Ashford, where they all started wearing uniforms.

Inaros' does have his own Free Navy flag - this birb

g49pbpbebryv.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    That latest episode both dragged and was incredibly riviting at the same time.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Really, really looking forward to seeing Drummer plug her minder.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Really, really looking forward to seeing Drummer plug her minder.

They have made a point of making that character insufferable

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I really like this season of the Expanse...
    ...but I wouldn't be surprised if their cliffhangers were written by Satan himself.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I think Amos even has an OPA tattoo.

Hey do we ever find out how Naomi and Amos meet? I've only read the books and seen the show, none of the novellas.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I think Amos even has an OPA tattoo.

Hey do we ever find out how Naomi and Amos meet? I've only read the books and seen the show, none of the novellas.

I think the books say
    Random chance on a freighter they were both working for. Little Timmy recognized something that said "She will be my conscience Jiminy Cricket" and he's always been at her side on his adventures to become a real boy.

Veevee on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Current season spoilers
    I don't know if I've ever had a more frustrating TV watching experience than watching Naomi spend several episodes getting guilt-tripped for being a bad mother by a bunch of people who've just committed genocide. Thank God that part of the story seems to be over now because the rest of this season has been awesome.

• Options
    Butler wrote: »
    Current season spoilers
    I don't know if I've ever had a more frustrating TV watching experience than watching Naomi spend several episodes getting guilt-tripped for being a bad mother by a bunch of people who've just committed genocide. Thank God that part of the story seems to be over now because the rest of this season has been awesome.

Do you have kids?

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I have a kid and I hate the naomi parts as well.

• Options
    Current season spoilers

Do you have kids?

Why don't you tell me where you're going with this first?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Current season spoilers
    who also actively hid the kid from her!

• Options
    Current season spoilers

Do you have kids?

I apologize, I asked because some stuff hits way harder after I had kids than before. I've noticed that friends of mine will dislike stuff that hits me like a truck because it involves kids.

Course, I could just be an overly emotional sack over here.

• Options
    Current season spoilers

Do you have kids?

I apologize, I asked because some stuff hits way harder after I had kids than before. I've noticed that friends of mine will dislike stuff that hits me like a truck because it involves kids.

Oh no, you're fine
    I didn't at all mind the Naomi-Phillip dynamic. It was Naomi's interactions with everyone else that were exasperating, because (a) she never seemed to make any real effort to argue her corner, and (b) realistically the attack on Earth should have overshadowed every interaction Naomi had with the crew from that point on, but instead it seemed to be pushed to the side in favour of everyone else taking turns at making her feel bad.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Current season spoilers

Do you have kids?

Oh no, you're fine
    I didn't at all mind the Naomi-Phillip dynamic. It was Naomi's interactions with everyone else that were exasperating, because (a) she never seemed to make any real effort to argue her corner, and (b) realistically the attack on Earth should have overshadowed every interaction Naomi had with the crew from that point on, but instead it seemed to be pushed to the side in favour of everyone else taking turns at making her feel bad.

yeah.. I feel like here, something from the books was somehow.. missing?

book spoilers of those scenes
    I feel like in the book, it was made way more clear that everyone involved in this was just a mass murderer, and would stay forever just that, and it would only end if the realization of what they had done destroyed them, or those hunting them for what they had done- everyone involved had ended their own lives as well, they just hadn't realized

and in the book, the realization hit some of them while naomi was still on the ship, iirc

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I think @autono-wally, erotibot300 has the right of it.
    There's a lot more introspection in the book about killing Earth and if I remember correctly, some characters end up doing more bad things because at that point they are already monsters from what happened to Earth, so what's the issue with doing more bad shit.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, i'm not sure if there was a
    "you just killed a billion people; someone should have stopped that from happening"

moment in the show or not, but if not there needs to be. I'm rereading this book right now so it's hard to say if there was.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Naomi brings it up, but only with her son. I think she's mostly written the rest off.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Episode 5-9:
    Sadly, a Cabinet holding the Executive accountable for a bad decision is clearly only a thing that happens in fiction

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Episode 9
    yay, New Hampshire! That looked really similar to Lake Winnipesaukee, considering it's probably filmed in Canada.

Also damn, that's what a fusion drive takeoff looks like. D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    "This is the most pathetic shakedown I've ever seen. You must be new at this." :rotate:

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    That take-off looked pretty illegal

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Jesus, Peaches, pick a lane.

• Options
    Whole lotta heavy unsecured stuff lying about in Filip's quarters

Kinda disappointing for how the show is otherwise pretty good about the realism stuff

• Options
    Seal wrote: »
    Yeah, either the launch was knocking the snow off the house roof or it was disintegrating the house. Since the latter would be pretty stupid design, I'm hoping it was the former or the result of having to juice the launch more than usual due to all the extra human cargo.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Yeah, either the launch was knocking the snow off the house roof or it was disintegrating the house. Since the latter would be pretty stupid design, I'm hoping it was the former or the result of having to juice the launch more than usual due to all the extra human cargo.
    I assume that was not the recommended fusion engine settings for launches with the silo door open

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »
    I assume that was not the recommended fusion engine settings for launches with the silo door open

I took it as
    Usually it would launch just with boosters or whatever, but thats what the Baltimore mob boss guy (forgot his name) did when he said "fuck it" and turned on the epstein drive, which was what caused the inferno.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Yeah that was 100% not what was supposed to happen.
    they're supposed to launch with the steam RCS thrusters, like how the Roci landed on Ilus. Erich skipped the launch sequence, lit the fusion torch when they were on the ground and spread nuclear fire everywhere.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    who designs a launch pad that destroys half your house every time you launch?

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Yeah that was 100% not what was supposed to happen.
    they're supposed to launch with the steam RCS thrusters, like how the Roci landed on Ilus. Erich skipped the launch sequence, lit the fusion torch when they were on the ground and spread nuclear fire everywhere.

I cheered when he did it, too.