As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Question, are there some good night time diapers? My little girl is one and pees through her diaper /pants every night. We try to put a fresh one on her when she goes to sleep, but she always leaks. We've tried every brand but haven't looked into night time diapers, or even know if they exist. Last time I looked I could only find night time diapers for older kids.

I'm starting to worry we're gonna have to get her tested for diabetes.

We're using the Honest Co nighttime ones for our newborn. He's a bit below the weight for the smallest size still but they are working well.

https://www.honest.com/baby-products/diapers/overnight-diapers/H01ODPV2S7.html

:so_raven:
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    We've been using Pampers Baby Dry on our latest. I go back and forth on whether I think they are worth keeping two sets of diapers on hand but I will say that as long as the diaper didn't get fastened loosely we haven't had any leaks at night. We were having issues with nighttime blowouts and leaks when the baby was younger and these stopped those, of course we moved up a size shortly after so it may have been a too small diaper situation that would have fixed itself eventually.

Carpy on
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    My first thought was that they might be too small. Is she near the top end of the weight range for that size of diaper?

My son leaked less once we moved up a size.

• knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    We've been using Pampers Baby Dry on our latest. I go back and forth on whether I think they are worth keeping two sets of diapers on hand but I will say that as long as the diaper didn't get fastened loosely we haven't had any leaks at night. We were having issues with nighttime blowouts and leaks when the baby was younger and these stopped those, of course we moved up a size shortly after so it may have been a too small diaper situation that would have fixed itself eventually.

Can confirm, baby dry has been our best bet. We just use those and don’t bother with a separate daytime diaper. Also keep in mind if they are peeing through a lot it may be time to move up a diaper size.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    My first thought was that they might be too small. Is she near the top end of the weight range for that size of diaper?

Yeah, I think we only ever really had a leak once or twice, but Sapling has always been in the smaller range of diapers we got for her. Another option is trying a night time diaper change?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Oh, also, we use peapod mats (https://www.peapodmats.com/) under both our kids for sleep. They are great

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

She's at the low end. She's tall and skinny so far. About 20lbs (last dr visit 18lbs) so right in line for size 3's.

And omg, she blew out today. I'm playing with her, feel something wet, it's shit all over my hand. We ended up just throwing out the outfit as it was a while diaper load. She didn't shit at all the day before. But she normally doesn't have blowouts anymore and we just have a leaking problem at night.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Question, are there some good night time diapers? My little girl is one and pees through her diaper /pants every night. We try to put a fresh one on her when she goes to sleep, but she always leaks. We've tried every brand but haven't looked into night time diapers, or even know if they exist. Last time I looked I could only find night time diapers for older kids.

I'm starting to worry we're gonna have to get her tested for diabetes.

We just do a nighttime change, but our guy has always been drinking a lot of fluid.
    So you could try moving to less milk and more solid food too, if you haven't already.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Thanks folks, yeah my searching on YouTube hasn’t turned up much, so happy to look at other alternatives. Emily’s Wonderlab was great we’ve watched that.

Don't get me wrong, mystery doug is a GREAT kids science channel on youtube

She's at the low end. She's tall and skinny so far. About 20lbs (last dr visit 18lbs) so right in line for size 3's.

And omg, she blew out today. I'm playing with her, feel something wet, it's shit all over my hand. We ended up just throwing out the outfit as it was a while diaper load. She didn't shit at all the day before. But she normally doesn't have blowouts anymore and we just have a leaking problem at night.

With our sons nighttime leakage was just their way of 'telling' us it was time to transition to the next size up in diapers.

Also, puppy pads are your friend to minimize nighttime emergency laundry. We always set the bed up..

Sheet
    Puppy pad
    Mattress protector
    Sheet
    Puppy pad
    Mattress protector
    Matress

That way you are set up for two wet diapers without needing to find new sheets in the dark! Also, puppy pads are dirt cheap compared to their baby equivalents and work just fine.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Night time? Boosters all the way. They're an extra absorbent pad that goes in there. If you're not already, also stop fluids an hour before bedtime - helps a lot.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    We use the Huggies Night time diapers or whatever they are called. Are they actually any better at preventing leaks? I dont know.

Trying to size up at night is also a good first suggestion too though.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    Thanks folks, yeah my searching on YouTube hasn’t turned up much, so happy to look at other alternatives. Emily’s Wonderlab was great we’ve watched that.

Don't get me wrong, mystery doug is a GREAT kids science channel on youtube

With our sons nighttime leakage was just their way of 'telling' us it was time to transition to the next size up in diapers.

Also, puppy pads are your friend to minimize nighttime emergency laundry. We always set the bed up..

Sheet
    Puppy pad
    Mattress protector
    Sheet
    Puppy pad
    Mattress protector
    Matress

That way you are set up for two wet diapers without needing to find new sheets in the dark! Also, puppy pads are dirt cheap compared to their baby equivalents and work just fine.

Seconding the puppy pads. Our boy is still in a bassinet, but we always, always have a puppy pad over the cover of the changing table. It’s a life saver, especially if things get messy and you just need to throw the whole thing away and not look back.

• GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    We’ve had a lot of success with Sposie Diaper Booster Pads (basically an additional absorbent liner you insert into the diaper / pull-up at night), it doesn’t always work but made a huge difference in keeping our son from getting the sheets / bed wet

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I have a Cub Scout meeting tonight with 4th-graders.

I have literally no idea how to talk to them about the absolute shitshow going on in DC. I wonder if any will ask.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I have a Cub Scout meeting tonight with 4th-graders.

I have literally no idea how to talk to them about the absolute shitshow going on in DC. I wonder if any will ask.

Some people are sore losers and get upset when they can't have their way.

Unfortunately people started fighting and caused damage to the capital building where the Senate and Representatives make the laws.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    *Rise from your graaave!*

Today in "Things my kid did that are too cute not to share":

First, some background: We recently came into possession of two young cats

1 is a big orange fluffball who is perfectly well-adjusted, affectionate, and purrs very loudly
    2 is a small, timid, ninja cat who bolts away at the slightest provocation, barely ever ventures close to my wife and me and hardly ever makes a sound of any kind

Ninja cat has been struggling to adapt to life within our family. In the first two months we had him, he hid in the basement. For a while, we feared that he had gotten stuck in a wall or something and died, as we never saw him. However, slowly but surely, he's gotten used to us and, in the last couple of months or so, Ninja cat has begun to make a habit of making an appearance during Mini-dead's bedtime routine.

Last night, just as I was finishing up storytime with Mini-dead, our Ninja cat decides he wants to jump up with us on her bed and see what's going on. Knowing how jumpy Ninja cat is, I counsel Mini-dead to stay as quiet as possible to see if we can keep him from bolting off, as he is wont to do.

Tentatively, Ninja cat gets within petting range. Gently, cautiously, Mini-dead gives Ninja cat some butt scratchies and head pats. Ninja cat accepts these for a bit, but, within moments, looks like he's looking over the edge of the bed for an escape route, as I expected he would.

At least, that's what I thought at first, but, as though giving it a second thought, Ninja cat instead turns back around, head-butts Mini-dead's leg, *floofs* down on her lap, and begins to purr.

Mini-dead: "Daddy! He's purring! He never purrs!" She turns to me with dewey eyes "Daddy... I have happy tears! Do you think he'll be my friend now?"

"I think he just might" I smile, kissing Mini-dead good night and taking my leave, as quietly as my big 'ol frame can muster, so as to not disrupt the cuddle sesh.

This morning, as I head to the bathroom for my daily constitutional, I spot Ninja cat leaving a still-sleeping Mini-dead's room.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jaina lost her first tooth last night. It's been loose for a while, but she was eating an apple and POP. Cue the screaming, crying, and "my friends are going to think I look weird." Mind you, all of the kids in her class have lost a tooth by now, and no one can see it because of the masks anyway.

She was happy with the tooth fairy this morning though.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Jaina lost her first tooth last night. It's been loose for a while, but she was eating an apple and POP. Cue the screaming, crying, and "my friends are going to think I look weird." Mind you, all of the kids in her class have lost a tooth by now, and no one can see it because of the masks anyway.

Not that we have to worry for a few years, but what's the going exchange rate for teeth these days?

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

Not that we have to worry for a few years, but what's the going exchange rate for teeth these days?

My oldest isn't at this age yet but the answer is to form a syndicate with the other parents and set a going rate for the social circle.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Dollar coin and a cool stone ( like amethyst or quartz) over here.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    It was dollar coins until we ran out of dollar coins and now it has become $5 somehow...

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    It was dollar coins until we ran out of dollar coins and now it has become $5 somehow...

We were doing 2 half-dollars I think and were running out of them. I told my wife we should just trade the half-dollars we were giving my son for dollar bills to replenish the stock. Which works because my son cares about the money and not the structure of it.

First tooth: Silver Eisenhower dollar (1776-1976 version) & $5
    Second tooth: Silver Kennedy half-dollar & $5
    All other teeth: $5

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm gonna lowball my kids and give them a quarter to start. It's hard to go down after you've set a baseline. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Not my small humans but I was outside and a brother was walking home from school with his little sister. I'm guessing probably 4th grade and 2nd grade. He was wearing a mask and she wasn't. From across the street I hear the following:

"Put it oooon!"
    "Why?"
    "Because I don't want you to get coronavirus!"

And I thought d'aww, good job older brother!

But then she asked "Why?" and he replied "Because I don't want you to get to stay home and play video games all day!"

At which point I had to stop myself from bursting out laughing because ok, yeah, that makes more sense :P

HappylilElf on
    m!ttens wrote: »

I gave her $10 because it was the only cash I had. It was snowing pretty hard so I wasn't going anywhere. I told her "the first tooth is special" so hopefully there's no disappointment with lower amounts later, but I don't think we can go below $5 which means we messed up.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was forced to pay my eldest 5 bucks because she already knew that was the going rate in her preschool. I've never felt such antipathy towards other parents as I did that day.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Gilgaron wrote: »

Pay your kid in $CAD.

220px-Canadian_Dollar_-_reverse.png

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was forced to pay my eldest 5 bucks because she already knew that was the going rate in her preschool. I've never felt such antipathy towards other parents as I did that day.

This is an early lesson in worker solidarity!

Always share your salary and make sure the bosses know you know how much everyone's getting paid.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Aioua wrote: »

This is an early lesson in worker solidarity!

Always share your salary and make sure the bosses know you know how much everyone's getting paid.

My parents were shocked, "we remember when a quarter was the going rate." I reminded them that the Tooth Fairy pays her workers fairly.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Pay your kids in GameStop stonks

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Well, I'm currently rolled up in the living room rug and not allowed to unroll or emerge.

The sounds from outside my dark, crumby tunnel lead me to believe a train track is being constructed around and over my newfound hidey-hole.

At least I have my cell phone!

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    Well, I'm currently rolled up in the living room rug and not allowed to unroll or emerge.

The sounds from outside my dark, crumby tunnel lead me to believe a train track is being constructed around and over my newfound hidey-hole.

At least I have my cell phone!

for the love of God, Montressor!

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Not my small humans but I was outside and a brother was walking home from school with his little sister. I'm guessing probably 4th grade and 2nd grade. He was wearing a mask and she wasn't. From across the street I hear the following:

"Put it oooon!"
    "Why?"
    "Because I don't want you to get coronavirus!"

And I thought d'aww, good job older brother!

But then she asked "Why?" and he replied "Because I don't want you to get to stay home and play video games all day!"

At which point I had to stop myself from bursting out laughing because ok, yeah, that makes more sense :P

In an Of Course follow up I randomly saw them again yesterday.

Younger sister? Mask and wearing it properly over her mouth and nose.

Older brother? Mask and wearing it pulled completely down around his neck.

I wish I was surprised by this but as a middle child I know the jerkery flows downhill/age :P

Anyone else use Raz Kids at their kids' school?

If so, how do you find a book that they've already read?

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

There's a green icon below the book if they have read it.

Right- but once they read it and listen to it and do the test, it disappears from the list. We're trying to go back to one my son's read before, because he has a "book report" (picture and a sentence or two) to do on a nonfiction book, and he wants to do the one about bats he read yesterday.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Right- but once they read it and listen to it and do the test, it disappears from the list. We're trying to go back to one my son's read before, because he has a "book report" (picture and a sentence or two) to do on a nonfiction book, and he wants to do the one about bats he read yesterday.

Huh, in my daughter's class the Raz kids books don't disappear. Perhaps teachers get to set that option?

Maybe? Damn, was hoping it was something like, "Oh, yeah, in their spaceship, you can ..." :D